Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Discussing Boardwars V2

Discussing Boardwars V2

Hi guys,

Welcome back. This is the second version of the 'Discussing BWs' thread, as the original was lost when Boardwars was deleted. If someone can figure a way of importing the posts that may help...Then again they are probably not particularly relevant now.

Anyhow, here we discuss boardwars. Ideas, upcoming projects and boardwars currently being undertaken. A place to chat, catch up and help the newbies as well as brainstorm.

As a starting point: What's a project can we can possibly collectively work on, so get this place back up and choofing along again?

2. Boardwars Senior Member  #2
    Preliminary searches of Google have revealed caches of MC's Orb IC thread up till Page 3. I am attempting to use certain keywords to see if there is anything more recent, but it is likely we could only pick up from the battle in the castle garden.

On a similar note should I just go ahead and repost the Orb IC thread based on what can be dug up from Google caches? Or should we just let dead threads lie?
    I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

I'm up for attempting to preform a little cyber-CPR on Orb.

For my part, I save copies on my computer of every IC post I make. So currently I have complete collection of my posts for Spacefarers, Defense of New Reach, Mayflys - Pact with a Demon, Spacefarers II, Orb: Search for the Power of Miracles, Villains, and Saving Eden.

With this being the case, I could help in reconstructing any of the BWs in which I have participated in. However, if these reconstructions consist solely of my posts, I don't think that is quite what we're looking for. Though I suppose that, if nothing else, they would serve as a summary of sorts.
    Last edited by Crusnik01; 8th Mar 10 at 8:04 AM.
    "So fades the great harvest of my betrayal. Even these beasts recognized what you were oblivious to, human. Your nobility has blinded you, as ever. The Librarian left little to chance, didn't she? Turning my own guardians, my own world, against me. But what hubris to believe she could protect her pets from me forever. If you haven't mastered even these primitives, then Man has not attained the Mantle. Your ascendance may yet be prevented. Time was your ally, human, but now it has abandoned you."

4. Boardwars Senior Member  #4
    If anyone is interested I have posted Orb up to Page 3: Castle Garden Battle. Either no cache of subsequent posts exists, or I am not using the correct keywords (Side note: summoned Page 3 using "Susanoo" and Page 2 using "roots of the scepter")

If we're leaving it to die anyway, well at least it's one step on the road to recovery for this decimated section of the forums.

5. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #5
    The admin staff is looking into recovery methods for Boardwars btw. It'll probably take a while, but we'll try to salvage as much as we can.

Well done atmawpn! Three pages is definitely better than none at all. The Orb Resurrection looks great. A little trimming could be in order I suppose, but compared to nothing this it's definitely an improvement. Until the admins find a suitable recovery method, assuming one does exist, I think this will suit our needs just fine. Even if we're missing some of the end of the Castle Gardens battle, I think everyone knows where their characters are.

7. Boardwars Senior Member  #7
    OMAE WA MO SLAMDEIRU Master Chief's Avatar
    Well, it's certainly annoying, but so it goes. Nice job atmawpn, thank you very much for that. I don't keep saved copies of my posts, so there's not much more I can do for Orb, but I do remember where most everyone was. I'll get the OOC thread back up and post a rundown based on what I can remember, and then we can decide what to do from there.
    Come on and slam and welcome to the jam

I'll repeat the question I asked in the post I deleted (don't ask).

What are we to do about GalWars? It hadn't gone very far, and to be honest it was going a little fast - maybe it would be best to start that one again.
    Me... I Am OhJohnNo! The Perspicuous Prestidigitator

Let's sail in this sea of charms
    Let's drown underneath the stars

9. Boardwars Senior Member  #9
    OMAE WA MO SLAMDEIRU Master Chief's Avatar
    If you guys do start that over from the beginning, I might join it if that's cool with Raver and everyone else.

Somewhere in the Rocky Mountains within Colorado
    I'll probably post a Space BW similiar to GalWar very soon, more based upon Old Style Space BWs from the past.
    "Obstruction detected. Composition, Titanium alloy supplemented by photonic resonance barrier. Probability of mission hindrance. Zero Percent!- Liberty Prime
    "Embrace democracy or you will be eradicated!"- Liberty Prime
    "You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Sword Munkeh in Spaaaace Sword_Monkey's Avatar
    My time, as I've mentioned, is sparse so I failed the GalWar by being unable to keep up with even its very beginning. This will also mean the recovery of Boardwars will be slow too. I've stickied this as a start, knew you'd soon make a new one. I'll grab the rules from another site where they've been faithfully reproduced (Thanks to OJN I believe).

But it will take time. I'm hoping to recover the most recent boardwars, but don't think it'll be possible if they've really been completely lost. The Wayback machine may be of some use but I haven't checked its latest run of the forum.

I'm also open to ideas and help. Thanks guys.

Someone should contact Trek and see if he's interested in getting Spacefarers III ready for a go. If any BW has the potential to jump start the BWs section again, it's probably SFIII.

Everyone, there is now an IRC channel called #Boardwars on irc.hwcommunity.com. Join to help with the recovery effort.

That's weird, it's working fine for everyone else. What client are you using?

Whoa, sorry OJN. I Don't know what happened, but it looks like it's working now. My bad

16. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #16
    Oh, he typed the URL into his web browser. Crusnik, you need a client such as mIRC (which is a free download with unlimited usage) which you can point to the above server address (irc.hwcommunity.com, on port 6667). Alternatively, you can use Mibbit webchat (www.mibbit.com, click on Launch Mibbit Webchat or the similar button, and click on server to get a drop down box you can enter irc.hwcommunity.com into), however this lacks quite a few handy features that standalone clients such as mIRC provide.

EDIT: I am so slow.
    I am an Iron Warrior. Iron Within, Iron Without.

Update: #Boardwars is now a permanent, registered channel, where we can discuss Boardwars. Ionfish has also made a breakthrough when it comes to our recent Boardwars. Unfortunately, I fear Spacefarers and Spacefarers II may be lost forever unless someone can find them using Weavern's advice in the "it really is gone" thread.

I felt a little bit of my soul die just typing that. The thought of losing Spacefarers is too dreadful to comprehend.

18. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #18
    There were much longer and more successful Boardwars that have been lost. The Complex trilogy (well, more like a duology because Lestaki never really finished the third part ) was a fantastic example of how to take a Boardwar to a proper conclusion.

So, don't worry, we all have memories in this place.

I, like Crusnik01, save all of my posts. So, I have them if anyone needs them.

Good to see that the revovery is going well.

I think that we could start up were we left off, in Gal Wars, but I think it would be better to start over.

I am glad that Trek had not startede Spacefarers III yet, as that would have made this mess worse.
    "We will either find a way, or make one." -Hannibal Barca, General of Carthage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trek
    I didn't mean to turn into Panzer General on you.

Hello everyone, well I'm keen to give it a couple of days to see if anything else gets salvaged before I start considering a new GalWars.

I fear the most recent was a bit retarded compared to last ones and perhaps I should let it rest in peace for longer, to preserve the GalWars title, and not make it one people instantly think of some dodgy 3 page boardwar .

If anyone else wants to give another sci-fi boardwar a go be my guest.

!!! I come back to find some of my old character Bio's for nostalgias sake and someone had removed my favorite board on this forum. Alack, Alas. My spirits are crushed.
    I want to say "For The Emperor" but what comes out is "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!"

22. Forum Subscriber  #22
    I have several Boardwar ideas

My first is which we are all a different group of mercenaries from any sci-fi who are hired to eliminate key targets(in space like in Star Wolves). The universe of this BW would be voted on.

My second is our characters wake up on a strange planet(a cross between Catachan and Arrakis from dune with the associated dangerous flora and fauna) in which all the characters have are some rations, a weapon of their choice and their clothing. There would be Alien Ruins scattered across the planet containing advanced weapons and technology. There will be several unexpected events happening in the duration of this BW.

Which one would you guys be interested in, if any of them?

EDIT: I have managed to find the first page of SFII cached on the 1st March but the rest says I do not have permission to access it(Why?)
    Last edited by Killer_Zero; 9th Mar 10 at 6:57 AM.

I like the 1st killer.

Also I believe we should make the most out of this and start new BWs to replace the old. I like the idea of Spacefares III, as I never completed a space BW before. I believe if anyone has some ideas, post them so we can get the machine moving again.
    He who controls the past commands the future, He who commands the future, conquers the past.

Yeah, I second the idea of Spacefarers III. Kick-start the Boardwars section with its awesomeness.

(also come onto the IRC channel. Srsly people. It's dying already, and we didn't make it permanent for nothing.)

I also support Spacefarers III

Now we just have to find Trek... :/

I did send Trek a PM telling him I was considering posting a Space BW depending on the time frame of when he was going to do spacefarers 3. Haven't gotten a reply yet though.

28. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #28
    I shall lurk as I always do. I manage the IRC channel, so don't hesitate to pop over there. It'll be good for managing battles in real-time (and then we can edit and paste to a forum post) as well as bouncing ideas off of each other.

Remember to register (/msg nickop register password email) your IRC username when you first join IRC - it's a handy feature that allows for user identification.

I did send Trek a PM telling him I was considering posting a Space BW depending on the time frame of when he was going to do spacefarers 3. Haven't gotten a reply yet though.
    What coincidence Yoshi. I also sent Trek a PM the other day to see whether he had any intentions to start up SFIII. Also like you, I have yet to recieve a response from him.

I second the notion of SF III but I do believe we need to throw out the old storyline and make a new one.
    Death isn't a variable, but a constant in the equation of life.

I always thought that the whole point of Spacefarers I was that there was no real storyline. Sure, SFII had the drones, but even they didn't play a major role until the end.

I think psycho means that we should start with a completely new board to play on, and put away all the background fluff we built up on our former characters in favor of a new possibility.
    Crusnik- A term used to describe a significant amount of background information. One Crusnik is around 5 pages single spaced 10 pt font.

What I meant was that we should toss out the story that we've built up from SF I and II and start anew with SF III

EDIT: Captain Elson is a ninja

Oh! Then yeah I completely agree with Psyco.

I thought that we had already established that we were starting over in SFIII.

WOOO HOOOO!!!!

Incoming message from Captain Trek...

Yeah, I think the SFB universe is what I'll go with... OK, SF III should be up within the next few days...
    Hopefully this will liven your day and lighten the fact that the older BWs have vanished. You see everyone? Even in the darkest of times there can be a little light.

37. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #37
    Now we just need to get the blighter to actually post.

Also I'm going to mention "use IRC" in every post I make in this thread until people start getting the hint

Guabo!

I shall start my plotting and scheming immediately....

/me leaps into the air and somersaults

Wonderful news! Now I have to decide whether or not to stay with my promise of being a Turian, or some other faction from some other story... maybe even an original faction...

I will most likely use a race that travels about the stars in giant mechano crabs >.>

About time I got involved over here.

Well guys, check the RelicWiki page on Boardwars and you will find a synopsis of Spacefarers immortalised there. I started it ages ago, and decided to finish it from memory today. Unfortunately, I don't remember enough about SFII to put that there too.

Would you guys care if I join in with my own armada(s) for Spacefarers III? Depending on how things play out (and on the GM's willingness), it could be just a recon force or, should things get really, really big, seventeen legions.

Lt knows EXACTLY who I'm talking about
    Last edited by typhoonoftempest; 10th Mar 10 at 2:36 PM.

If I join in it'll be with Klingon Defence Force fleet lead by an alien of my own devising. Probably lead by a nice Carrier.

Also I'm going to mention "use IRC" in every post I make in this thread until people start getting the hint
    I second this. Not every group of users on this forum get their own IRC channel. 'tis very useful.

Ouch! Stop calling me Peter! Peter's Avatar
    Hey guys. I just decided to drop in since my computer has been fixed to see how things were going, only to see an entire forum gone... And I just decided that I'd backup Spacefarers I and II. As Monthy Python put it: "Life's a piece of s***". Sigh. Logging off now...
    ... and the World is no longer what it used to be.

Great, now I just have to decide between three options. (It used to be 24.)

Noob Alert!

What's IRC and how do I use it?

get yourself an IRC client (such as Chatzilla for Firefox or mIRC), connect to irc://irc.hwcommunity.com with said client and type the following in the chat line:

/join #Boardwars
    /msg nickop register <password> <email>

the first line gets you into the boardwars channel, and the second one secures your nick so that no one can take it.

you can change your nickname at any time with the /nick command.

also, to reconfirm your identity each time you log on, type the following while the IRC channel is loading:

/msg nickop identify <password>

remember, <password> is whatever password you have set for that nickname

any questions?

Get an IRC client, unless it's built into your browser (if you have Firefox for example). A simple google search will turn up plenty if good IRC clients.

Once you've installed etc, it'll ask you for a server, Relicnews' is: irc.reliccommunity.com

From there you'll have to connect to a room, the boardwars is : #boardwars

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information