Modifying campaign start fleets

Modifying campaign start fleets

In my first attempt at modding, I thought I'd start small. I'm looking to modify the starting fleets in campaign mode and Player vs CPU. My aim is to flex my modding muscles, develop ideas and storylines using Player vs CPU maps, and just mess around with the campaign.

However, after extensive searching of the forums I haven't found any threads dealing with modifying starting fleets (though thanks to Moe and his 'Making the Keepers a playable race' guide I have a basic knowledge of the folders I'll be dealing with and have the data.zip downloaded). I know that, from prior experience when I was younger, there is - or at least was - a guide to changing and adding to the starting fleets in the campaign.

Can anyone help?

EDIT: I may have posted this in the wrong subforum. Apologies if this is so.
    Last edited by Shraa Elohim; 9th Mar 10 at 2:33 PM.

Startingfleets for multiplayer are easy, they are found in Data\Scripts\startingfleets.

For the campaign, there is only one "starting feet" and that one is assigned to you on the map (in the *.level) file. In the other missions, you have the ships you finished the previous mission with.

And perhaps this ought to have been in the main Tanis Shipyard forum, not in "Tutorials, Guides and How-Tos", but no problems.
    Destroying things is easy.
    Creating things is hard.
    Creating things in order to watch them explode is just plain fun.

Explosion Damage Script, Scripting Tutorial

actualy in campeign mode you CAN modify your starting fleets, although you have to modify them after the first mission, ic ant quite recall waht the file extension is called but it is basicly a save point that HW2 creates when you finish a mission, it writes what ships you had in the previous mission along with RU's and several other things i belive and is edited in the basic same way as the starting fleet's .Lua files are edited however these oens are uncompressed and require no tools,

Startingfleets for multiplayer are easy, they are found in Data\Scripts\startingfleets
    I did find this file, and inserted some other ships into it. For some reason it didn't work... though maybe this is because I tried to create a battlecruiser and Tanis!

I have found files relating to each mission, for instance: Data/Leveldata/Campaign/Ascension/M02_Hiigara, but I can't find a file to use to modify the ship count. However, this may be because I still have the Data.zip file in my download folder, rather than in the program files. Would the Data file have to be in the game folder, so that it can be updated with the fleets I start each mission with? More importantly, does that last sentence make sense?

Thanks for your help so far, guys.

I did find this file, and inserted some other ships into it. For some reason it didn't work... though maybe this is because I tried to create a battlecruiser and Tanis!
    It didn't work on Tanis because you changed here the starting fleet for multiplayer games... Start a player vs cpu and you'll find yourself with your battlecruiser in your starting fleet

To modify the starting fleet in campaigns, you can directly alter your profile files rather than the data files. Go in Homeworld2/Bin/Profile#/Campaign/Ascension. Here you will find several files called persist#.lua, which saves the state of your fleet from the last time you started this level (I mean started from the beginning, aka finishing the previous level, not reloading a saved game), and will give you this exact same fleet each time you will want to restart this level from the main menu.

The lines to modify are here :
    Code:
      Squadrons = {
        {
          tactic = 2,
          type = "Hgn_MotherShip",
          subsystems = {
            {
              index = 0,
              name = "HGN_MS_PRODUCTION_FIGHTER",
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              name = "HGN_MS_MODULE_RESEARCH",
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              name = "HGN_MS_INNATE_ENGINE",
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              name = "HGN_MS_INNATE_RESOURCE",
            },
          },
          buildjobs = {
            [0] = {
              [0] = {
                name = "Hgn_Interceptor",
                rusSpent = 316.47363,
              },
            },
          },
          size = 1,
          shiphold = {
            {
              index = 0,
              type = "Hgn_Interceptor",
              hotkey = 8,
              teamColourHandle = 0,
              size = 5,
              tactic = 2,
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              hotkey = 67108872,
              teamColourHandle = 0,
              size = 5,
              tactic = 2,
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              type = "Hgn_ResourceCollector",
              hotkey = 0,
              teamColourHandle = 0,
              size = 1,
              tactic = 1,
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              hotkey = 67108872,
              teamColourHandle = 0,
              size = 5,
              tactic = 2,
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              hotkey = 8,
              teamColourHandle = 0,
              size = 5,
              tactic = 2,
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              type = "Hgn_AttackBomber",
              hotkey = 16,
              teamColourHandle = 0,
              size = 5,
              tactic = 2,
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              hotkey = 1024,
              teamColourHandle = 0,
              size = 1,
              tactic = 2,
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              hotkey = 16,
              teamColourHandle = 0,
              size = 5,
              tactic = 2,
            },
            {
              index = 0,
              hotkey = 16,
              teamColourHandle = 0,
              size = 5,
              tactic = 2,
            },
          },
          name = "Hgn_MotherShip",
          teamColourHandle = 0,
          hotkey = 0,
        },
      },
    NOTE : given that those files are decompiled and available in any retail installation, those can be used and modified without even using a -overidebigfile or -mod command.
    Last edited by MatthCoFreak; 10th Mar 10 at 8:59 AM.
    Lead developer of the Homeworld: Blue Planet TC.
    Member of The Apocalypse Project TC for Freespace 2.
    To all newbies : remember to use S110's clean data.
    Latest version of CFHodEd.

Thanks for that. However, when I attempt to save the file after I've made the changes an error message comes up saying:

Cannot create the C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\Bin\Profiles\Profile1\Campaign\ASCENSION\persist2.lua file.

Make sure that the path and file name are correct.
    Upon clicking 'OK' it will then take me to the Save As screen, but any attempt to save will result in the same message. Is it something about the file name? It can't be about how many ships I attempt to insert, since making a tiny change (typing and deleting a single letter) renders the file unsaveable. Any ideas what's going wrong?

dont use SAVE as use save. And be careful how you change things in there.
    Here ill use this as an example.
    PersistantData = {
    Research = {
    [1] = {
    name = "SensorsDowngrade1",
    progress = 1,
    },
    [2] = {
    name = "SensorsDowngrade2",
    progress = 1,
    },
    [3] = {
    name = "SensorsDowngrade3",
    progress = 1,
    },
    },
    TeamColours = {
    {
    trailColour = {
    },
    badgeTexName = "DATA:Badges/Hiigaran.tga",
    baseColour = {
    },
    stripeColour = {
    },
    },
    {
    trailColour = {
    },
    baseColour = {
    },
    stripeColour = {
    },
    },
    {
    trailColour = {
    },
    baseColour = {
    },
    stripeColour = {
    },
    },
    {
    trailColour = {
    },
    badgeTexName = "DATA:Badges/Vaygr.tga",
    baseColour = {
    },
    stripeColour = {
    },
    },
    {
    trailColour = {
    },
    badgeTexName = "DATA:Badges/Relic.tga",
    baseColour = {
    },
    stripeColour = {
    },
    },
    },
    Squadrons = {
    {
    tactic = 2,
    type = "Hgn_MotherShip",
    subsystems = {
    {
    index = 0,
    name = "HGN_MS_PRODUCTION_FIGHTER",
    },
    {
    index = 0,
    name = "HGN_MS_MODULE_RESEARCH",
    },
    {
    index = 0,
    name = "HGN_MS_INNATE_ENGINE",
    },
    {
    index = 0,
    name = "HGN_MS_INNATE_RESOURCE",
    },
    },
    buildjobs = {
    [0] = {
    [0] = {
    name = "Hgn_ResourceCollector",
    rusSpent = 275.89844,
    },
    },
    },
    size = 1,
    shiphold = {
    {
    index = 0,
    hotkey = 0,
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    size = 1,
    tactic = 1,
    },
    {
    index = 0,
    hotkey = 0,
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    size = 1,
    tactic = 1,
    },
    },
    name = "Hgn_MotherShip",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 0,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 1,
    shiphold = {
    },
    name = "NIS_Squad",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 0,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    type = "Hgn_NS_Interceptor",
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 5,
    shiphold = {
    },
    name = "",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 67108872,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 5,
    shiphold = {
    },
    name = "",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 67108872,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 5,
    shiphold = {
    },
    name = "",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 67108872,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 5,
    shiphold = {
    },
    name = "",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 67108872,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 5,
    shiphold = {
    },
    name = "",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 67108872,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 5,
    shiphold = {
    },
    name = "",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 67108872,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    type = "Hgn_bst_misslecorvette",
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 4,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 4,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 4,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 4,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 4,
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 5,
    shiphold = {
    },
    name = "",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 67108872,
    },
    {
    tactic = 2,
    subsystems = {
    },
    buildjobs = {
    },
    size = 5,
    shiphold = {
    },
    name = "",
    teamColourHandle = 0,
    hotkey = 67108872,
    },
    },
    StrikeGroups = {
    },
    RUs = 37004,
    }

Eh Levi, try to use [ code ] tags for things like that

Code:
    PersistantData = {   Research = {     [1] = {       name = "SensorsDowngrade1",       progress = 1,     },     [2] = {       name = "SensorsDowngrade2",       progress = 1,     },     [3] = {       name = "SensorsDowngrade3",       progress = 1,     },   },   TeamColours = {     {       trailColour = {         0.36500,         0.55300,         0.66700,       },       badgeTexName = "DATA:Badges/Hiigaran.tga",       baseColour = {         0.36500,         0.55300,         0.66700,       },       stripeColour = {         0.80000,         0.80000,         0.80000,       },     },     {       trailColour = {         0.36500,         0.55300,         0.66700,       },       badgeTexName = "DATA:Badges/Hiigaran.tga",       baseColour = {         1,         0.49400,         0,       },       stripeColour = {         1,         0.49400,         0,       },     },     {       trailColour = {         0.36500,         0.55300,         0.66700,       },       badgeTexName = "DATA:Badges/Hiigaran.tga",       baseColour = {         0.75200,         0.69400,         0.55600,       },       stripeColour = {         1,         1,         1,       },     },     {       trailColour = {         0.92100,         0.75000,         0.41900,       },       badgeTexName = "DATA:Badges/Vaygr.tga",       baseColour = {         0.90000,         0.90000,         0.90000,       },       stripeColour = {         0.10000,         0.10000,         0.10000,       },     },     {       trailColour = {         0.50000,         0.50000,         0.50000,       },       badgeTexName = "DATA:Badges/Relic.tga",       baseColour = {         0.50000,         0.50000,         0.50000,       },       stripeColour = {         0.70000,         0.70000,         0.60000,       },     },   },   Squadrons = {     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_MotherShip",       subsystems = {         {           index = 0,           name = "HGN_MS_PRODUCTION_FIGHTER",         },         {           index = 0,           name = "HGN_MS_MODULE_RESEARCH",         },         {           index = 0,           name = "HGN_MS_INNATE_ENGINE",         },         {           index = 0,           name = "HGN_MS_INNATE_RESOURCE",         },       },       buildjobs = {         [0] = {           [0] = {             name = "Hgn_ResourceCollector",             rusSpent = 275.89844,           },         },       },       size = 1,       shiphold = {         {           index = 0,           type = "Hgn_ResourceCollector",           hotkey = 0,           teamColourHandle = 0,           size = 1,           tactic = 1,         },         {           index = 0,           type = "Hgn_ResourceCollector",           hotkey = 0,           teamColourHandle = 0,           size = 1,           tactic = 1,         },       },       name = "Hgn_MotherShip",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 0,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_ResourceCollector",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 1,       shiphold = {       },       name = "NIS_Squad",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 0,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_NS_Interceptor",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 5,       shiphold = {       },       name = "",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 67108872,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_NS_Interceptor",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 5,       shiphold = {       },       name = "",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 67108872,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_NS_Interceptor",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 5,       shiphold = {       },       name = "",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 67108872,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_NS_Interceptor",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 5,       shiphold = {       },       name = "",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 67108872,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_Interceptor",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 5,       shiphold = {       },       name = "",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 67108872,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_Interceptor",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 5,       shiphold = {       },       name = "",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 67108872,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_bst_misslecorvette",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 4,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_bst_misslecorvette",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 4,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_bst_misslecorvette",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 4,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_bst_misslecorvette",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 4,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_bst_misslecorvette",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 4,     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_bst_IAF",     },     {      type = "Hgn_BH_Multibeamfrigate",     },     {      type = "Hgn_BH_Multibeamfrigate",     },     {      type = "Hgn_BH_Multibeamfrigate",     },     {      type = "Hgn_BH_Multibeamfrigate",     },     {      type = "Hgn_BH_Multibeamfrigate",     },     {      type = "Hgn_BH_Multibeamfrigate",     },     {      type = "Hgn_BH_Multibeamfrigate",     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_AttackBomber",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 5,       shiphold = {       },       name = "",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 67108872,     },     {       tactic = 2,       type = "Hgn_AttackBomber",       subsystems = {       },       buildjobs = {       },       size = 5,       shiphold = {       },       name = "",       teamColourHandle = 0,       hotkey = 67108872,     },   },   StrikeGroups = {   },   RUs = 37004, }

Lol - And don't forget the newlines...

Shraa Elohim, so you want to change your, the player's ships, or the Vaygr enemy ships in campaign?

And the data folder, only the files you are changing (not the persist files, of course) need to be placed into Homeworld2\Data.

Dim@: I'm trying to change my persistent fleet by adding new ships to it (I can guess how to modify the unit caps). As for the 'files [I'm] changing', I take it you are referring to the ones in the Data.zip download?

LeviathansWrath: Thanks, but I'm... not really sure what the changes are you've made. Or why I need to be careful. Sorry.

Right now I've still got problems - when I try to save an altered persist#.lua file it is still coming up with the error messages, using both 'Save' and 'Save As'. However, when I try to alter the file name when I save it with the intent of renaming it later, it says that I need admin privileges to make the change, and asks if I want to save in the Documents folder. Ideas?

EDIT: Problem solved. All I needed to do was transfer the persist files into my documents which the computer allowed me to access, modify them there, then return them to the main file. Now my objective is to modify the start-ups to the Player vs. CPU maps.
    Last edited by Shraa Elohim; 12th Mar 10 at 1:06 PM.

Thread Information