Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Angels Fall First: Total Conversion [EDIT: New Art + Renders and More]

Angels Fall First: Total Conversion [EDIT: New Art + Renders and More]

Well, with the project picking up some steam (as well as a few new members), I thought it might be a good idea to drop an official thread in the "In-Progress" forums so those not familiar project can get a look at our progress.

For those of you not familiar with the TC, take a look at our webpage;

Official AFF: TC Webpage

The features and goals of this project are as follows (lifted from the webpage):

::Features::
    *' denotes a tentative idea which may not be possible based on the constraints of the HW2 engine and/or modding tools available

- Completely original storyline
    - Over 70 original ships of all sizes
    - Completely differentiated research tree
    - Realistic scale
    - Robust fighter-fighter dogfighting
    - Well-defined roles for vessel classes
    - Highly Tactical approach to gameplay
    - Brand new AI scripting + Ship AI tweaks
    - Divergence from cookie-cutter craft (read: vessel vs vessel combat is based more closely around tactical circumstance then exists currently).
    - Capital ship particle shielding (heavy protection from energy, low protection from reaction/kinetic)
    - More fully realized emphasis on positioning (read: broadside vs nose vs chase armament/positioning)
    -*Additional Fleet Formations
    - Fully differentiated weapons blocks (Missile, Torpedo, Energy, Kinetic)
    -*More robust stealth and ECM considerations (read: aiming for most capitals to have some sort of ECM ability).
    - Counter-Missile and Point-Defense systems
    To date we have a majority of the AI scripting finished as well as several models (which can be seen on the webpage or here ).

Heres a look at our team so far:

Alex_Drake (myself) - Project Lead + Scripter + Modeler + Storyboarder + Fiction/Content-Writer
    BurningFeetMan - Musician and Interim Texturer
    Erai_Hiryuu - Concept Artist

Contibutors Include:
    Unicron
    Belial
    Ta_Erog

To date we could use the skills of atleast one more dedicated texturer/modeler and scripter.

Enough with the history lesson , to give you a taste of things to come, heres an *exclusive* render straight from Unicron himself.

Close-in Shot of an AFF Station:

Though the mod is still under construction, we desperately need modelers and texturers to help diffuse of the immense backlog of work.

EDIT: More shots on the second page, including in-game pics!
    Last edited by Alex Drake; 11th Jan 05 at 6:17 PM.
    "The superior man...does not set his mind either for anything, or against anything; what is right he will follow."
    -Confucius, The Confucian Analects

WTF??

Whats the poly count on that thing?!

And how does that dome react in-game? I thought that the mesh smoth did nasty things to the HW2 engine.
    This is my sig!

All told, the station will be around 10k polys (thats not a true sphere, just looks that way). Though still under construction, this station will appear in a couple levels of the SP campaign (though it is unclear if it will make it to multi). More shots later.

Calavan
    This looks really cool, having partially made (the team just kind of fizzled up and quit and im not...patient enough to make a whole mod by myself) a mod for HW1 based entirely on an original story, I'm really interested in how this will fare. The history stuff looks very thought out too. I'd offer my help with scripting stuff but i don't really have any idea how HW2 stuff works yet. Maybe in a little while i can try to contribute something if you still need it.

If nothing else, this thread's made you at least 1 new fan

Original mods are relatively rare and have a tendency to die out. Fortunately for AFF, I love it like a child. Thus, even tho it may slow down sometimes, its unlikely development will stop. At the moment I'm learning to model in 3DS (rather then my usual platform, Maya) at the behest of Unicron. Perhaps something interesting might manifest itself of this new training sometime soon.

(Come on people, show us some love )

Luapo
    Alex dont think you want me to throw you my love . Drop by the forums guys it gets lonely sometimes, but there have been about 4-5 updates recently things are moving nicely along.

NFXFSX
    Looks great. Very cool ideas.

ilya
    This mod seems to have a lot of potential.

Theres still quite a bit thats in the air at the moment, so any comments or suggestions regarding the progress and development of the mod are appreciated. Likewise, clarifications are available on request.

Modelling

Hi, i've gone thru your site (briefly, theres certainly alot of thought you put into it : ) ) and i think i can help with modelling. I'm using 3D Max too. But i am involved in another mod, so i can't really be full time tho

Heres a link to the webpage and some hi poly work i've done:

Battletech Mod Productions: The Capellan Solution
    Works

So if you like it.... you've got another part-time modeller(tho not as good as unicron lol) :square:

*edit*
    What is, exactly, Assault mecha? Robotech/macross-style ships? i can't get a clear picture of what it really is. Tia ^_^

~-=LynX2oo4=-~
    Last edited by LynX; 2nd Mar 04 at 1:27 PM.

wookieman
    help the gundam mod!

It needs you!

MercFox1
    damn, so that's what the HL2 source looks like...lol just kidding!

Nice high poly work, and the shading is great.

An AM something like a hybrid Robotech Valkyrie (Battloid Mode) crossed with your average UC era Gundam. If that wasn't confusing enough, imagine this;

In AFF, theres a dichotomy that is struck between the several types of strike-craft in service with the various powers that make up the universe. Fighters have the fastest top-accelerations, and are mainly used to backup anti-torp systems and keep enemy fighters from closing on allied capital ships (which often have inadequate PD to divide between torps and fighters, and thus are vulnerable to either in large numbers). Along the same vein, drones operate similarly, only using their smaller size, super maneuerability, and greater numbers to achieve the same result as a fighter (with significantly higher losses). Assault Mecha, on the other, were developed from smaller, Marine Assault-Suits, which were smaller, manned combat-vehicles designed to operate very close to the hull of their mother-craft and offer close in-support versus small-craft. However, ASs had severley limited range, and also couldn't mount much in the way of weaponry. So the AM was developed. The average mecha stands about 2-3 stories tall, and can mount a variety of weapon systems. Though they can't effectively compete with the speed of even the heaviest fighter, the AM forgoes thrust power for maneuverability, with exhaust nozzles at angles all over its body. As a result, in short-range engagements, its is capable of moving in dimensions that are beyond the physical capabilities of strike-fighters and drones. Also, because their weapons are modular, and usually not fixed to a particular orientation (eg; arm or leg-mounted), the AM is also capable of firing on a target from nearly any angle, making it extremely deadly in close-quarters dogfighting. As a result, AMs fill a vital gap in any commander's naval arsenal. They provide the close-in, anti-ship support, and in general are capable of fulfilling a variety of duties.

Design wise, i have a few ideas, but none are fully fleshed out at the moment (beyond speed, armament, and role), so I'm taking any sort of schematic/design sketches, renders, ideas, etc.

EDIT: Besides the main site, I also put up a profile on modDB. *Gets the PR pot stirring*
    Last edited by Alex Drake; 2nd Mar 04 at 11:28 PM.

Media?

I suppose this deserves its own post, heres a visual report from Unicron:

Just...... yummy....!

varis
    Umm, I fear that is just too complex... a lot of it could be done by textures :-/

Fear nothing but the custscenes this might entail. *hint hint*

Dr. Evilbadguy
    Seriously, dude. And i like totally signed up to your most excellent AFF forums, man! Plus, i like left a post in the general forums or whatever that is most bodacious. so like check it out dude. " I'm Bill S. Preston Esquire... And I'm Ted Theodore Logan... And together, we're the Wyld Stalyns!!!"

The Easter Bunny is the Lord And Master Of The Universe,
    -Dr. Evilbadguy

I see it, I see it! Well, show me what you got!

Just to give you guys an idea of what our earliest release schedule will resemble (san dates till I get a larger, more active team assembled):

::Pre-Alpha::

- 2 ships from each side (most likely fighters of some sort)

::Alpha::

- 3 ships from each side (essentially whatever is finished first)
    - Minor AI support

::Beta::
    - 10 ships from each side (try to aim for one of each major class)
    - Improved AI
    - Fist balancing steps, etc

Also, between the Alpha and Beta stages, I'll be introducing a "Classic Battle" re-enactment. Essentially, a new gametype with its own associated maps where players re-enact classic battles from the war. (An example would be: In the 2nd mission SP campaign, you react to an emergency distress call from a research station and its garrison that is about to be overrun. By the time you arrive, the fighting is in its last stages and you manage to rescue the last few ships desperately trying to protect the facility. But this is only the final stages of a battle that lasted two weeks. The "Classic Battles" will offer a look at the events that led up to the distress call, as well as many other classic naval clashes that have occured throughout the war. Each battle will feature interesting tactical twists, such as the USN/AISN commanders fighting from or with crippled vessels, or (as will often be the case), no construction ability, or forced to defend a target for a certain amount of time, or in many cases, forced to use environmental features to achieve victory.

Anyway, thats enough ont hat for now.... :insane:

NFXFSX
    Awesome.:bow:

Small point; we're desperately looking for additional modelers, texturers, and concept artists. Those interested should either respond here or on our boards.

- Ciao

AFF is now taking player submissions and suggestions for Flags and Naval Crests. We'd like the community to have more of say in the look of the TC. Voice your opinions and post your submissions here here:

http://www.dendezyn.net/afforum/viewtopic.php?t=128
    Last edited by Alex Drake; 10th Mar 04 at 12:31 PM.

Heres a look at the new version of the USN Alfazard class Frigate::

This ship is still being tweaked, expect to see a new iteration when I get back to my modeling pc at school (in a few days).

NFXFSX
    Looks good.

Barricade
    Kinda curious about the names you have in the game.
    'Sidemore Republic' & 'Mournecreek'
    You ever read the Honor Harrington books? ^_^
    Love the models, and the storyline you have build up looks great.

Mournecreek is a half-rip (I was originally using a different name, but when I was looking through the name and title listings I had written up at the time, I realized it sucked, so I modified it a bit, from Mournestar to Mournecreek. When I noticed the vague Harrington reference, I decided to keep it out of familiarity), Sidemore was actually something I thought up many years ago (before reading Weber's novels). It was supposed to have been the original name for Antares before I'd really fleshed out the story, upon further review (eg: after reading into the Harrington Universe) I decided that if I wanted to keep the name, I'd need a far more imaginative enemy, thus the Antareans were born.

Theres a few elements that pay homage to the Harrington series (it will be abundantly clear when the DDs and SDs are introduced) but otherwise I tried steer clear of similar things. between the two. Unfortunately, the various nations will not play much of a role within the scope of the mod's focus. Otherwise, it would be very clear that each nation has its own distinct cultures, far removed from anything written by anyone (I hope).

Actually, I'm quite pleased someone else noted the Harrington connection, those books were the final thing to convince me that my lil' universe was actually feasible (so in a way, you could abstractly credit them for this mod).
    Last edited by Alex Drake; 14th Mar 04 at 7:40 AM.

kenahk
    sub space=real space in most games and films!

Also the ship classes are confussing, as they don't follow a general line(fighter, corvette, gunboat, frigate, destroyer, cruiser, battleship, dreadnaught, megalith and so on!)

This are just two small points that most fans will dismis if the mod is great(I myself think it would be a terrific mod)

Just my two cents and I won't complain more about it, because the mod is looking great

The classification issue has been debated to death (both here and on the official AFF forums), there are a variety of reasons for the differences between whats found in the TC and what exists now with out regular wet-navy (one could go on for hours about Dreadnoughts alone), the bottom line is that the ships are, for all intents and purposes, different from anything that exists, likewise, naval principles have changed in the 900 odd years since leaving Sol. I suppose I should just leave it at that.

As for subspace vs real-space, there are ALOT of different takes on FTL travel (David Drake and Chris Bunch's books are an example, and so are those of Weber, Goodkind, etc). For those familiar with the Crest of the Stars (animated) series, subspace correlates very closely with the methods of travel used there as well. At any rate, its really mostly sci-fi fluff, the only thing that really matters is what will translate over to the HW2 engine.

More visual stimulation:

Redesigned Sahara class Heavy-Cruiser (preliminary design)

Medea class Modular Combat-Carrier modeled by dunkmaster4000

NFXFSX
    Nice. I like the Combat Carrier.

BlueTech
    hey im really good at scripting and mapping, i can help u out i can also make animatics... i signed up at ur forums, and i am REPORTING FOR DUTY!!!!!

Now all we need is a texturer and this TC can REALLY start moving toward a pre-alpha release.

Riker2600
    Cool, your models really rock!! This Mod gonna be really cool...

Farlander
    Greetings Alex Drake and I have to say if you pull this mod off it will be right up there with greats like the wheel, sliced bread, and the update button.

I especialy liked the very thorough and well though out story line. I am really hoping this one makes it, so ill see if I can find a way to help out.(even just a little) :thumb:

A new version of the website is in the works, take a look at it here.

http://www.dendezyn.net/affv2/

I'll be moving over most of the content in the next couple days.

NFXFSX
    Looks sweet. Updating the forums too?

Yes, in the near future we'll be moving to ibforums instead of phpbb2 (most likely on my other server, hw2mods.com).

Note: I formatted the page to better accomodate smaller resolution settings.

mojo
    Wow this is an amazing mod I can't wait for it to get done. I'd love to help but the only real thing that i'm good at is tweaking a ship so that it can reduce a few entire fleets to rubble in under ten seconds. That's fun watching like 9 battlecruisers get blown to bits. What's also fun is watching the fighters go down one after another because of something shooting at them from across an entire map.

I hope this mod gets done. *jumps through the ceiling*

We have a dedicated IRC channel on austnet #AFF, if you ever want to contact me, I suaully idle there (note: my response is predicated on my lack of class and/or studying/homework).

Atmospheric Entry Elephant The5thElephant's Avatar
    Alex I just got Maya and I know how to use it, so if you are in need of another modeller I am here! To see my proficiency in Maya look at my model of Ignus' Destroyer here in my directory .

That is a bit high poly :bandit: but I can easily model lower poly ships. If you have any concepts or anything you want modelled just send them over to me.

Okay I'm in. Are there any concepts you want me to try first?

If you can work from abstract concepts and general design themes.... i'm looking for cruiser designs (either race). I'm interested in as many different ideas as possible for Antarean ships, as we're trying to nail down a general design atm. As for USN craft, there are alot of existing shots of the USN ships we've come uo with over the last 6 months.

There are a few online:

http://www.dendezyn.net/affv2/

BitchX
    This looks very interesting, especially now that i know that there will be some resemblance to Honor Harrington. I love the series, excellent books and damn impressive space combat. Good to see that there are other readers of the books here too.

This mod really looks promising, cant wait to get dealing some pain with Superdreadnoughts :bandit:

Hey Alex,
    nice to see some progress in your mod, i didnt checked it out in the last weeks.
    I have about a douzen models here, though without texture. Give me your mail adress and i might send them to you, maybe you like one of them.

alex@dendezyn.net

any mail related to AFF can be sent there.

Farlander
    I shure hope this mod is still going it was one of the most original ones ive ever seen.
    If you guys are still makin it when is the next update? (roughly)

tardiness has set in, its finals week (only 5 more days to go); therefore, updates are slow to come on my part as I'm busy trying to ensure a 3.0GPA this semester. We have over 13 completed models, the only thing really slowing a release is the lack of competent texturer.

Farlander
    ohh im releaved good job alex if this mod is like the rest you've done i cant wait

derelict ship
    keep up the good work :!:

Updated the Moddb page with about 12 "new" screenshots (some of which can be found on the boards or on the webpage, others which are totally new), working on improvements for the website later.

http://mods.moddb.com/3009/?view=all

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information