Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Model Showroom III - Show Hard With a Vengeance

That's actually a good point.

I've found it much easier to create low poly versions, put details on the texture and then create goblins / additional meshes based on the details shown on the textures.

The other way round it's generally a real pain and ends up not looking very nice - or maybe my modelling and unwrapping skills just need tuning.
    Path To Victory

- I can count to 1024 on my fingers! -

@MatthCoFreak(or anyone):In-game, I've noticed that in about ~5 kms that the goblins disappear. Is it possible to change this value? (I observed the Hig Mothership for this one)
    You're looking for this :
    Code:
    NewShipType.goblinsStartFade=3000
    NewShipType.goblinsOff=3000
    Lead developer of the Homeworld: Blue Planet TC.
    Member of The Apocalypse Project TC for Freespace 2.
    To all newbies : remember to use S110's clean data.
    Latest version of CFHodEd.

More work on the Multigun Corvette for the Kadeshi. The textures and shading are still a bit messed up, detail mesh is missing and I have the feeling the ship is missing something...

The side view looks OK but from the top (front + back too) it looks a little to... simple. I get the feeling either it needs flatter turrets that fit the chassis more (round rather than the oblong guns it has now) or the rear part of the chassis near the engine needs some more width to it.

Oppinions welcome as ever!

I don't know it don't look too bad IMHO.

I do agree making the guns blend into the hull more would be good. But it's not bad looking. Maybe extend the top front nose section forward a littile more, sort of make it overhang the bottom protrushion a littile.

Also i take it the turrets are going where those flat area's with red dots are on the top and bottom.?
    I don't know what i'm talking about, ignore me.

Thousands of years ago, Egyptians worshipped what would become our ordinary housecat. The cats have never forgotten this.

Nono, on the sides, where the long oblongs are with the barrels on the ends. Turret is really the wrong word. Gunmount is better. They face forwards and can't really rotate very far.

I thought you said you had several fixed guns and 2 turreted, I presumed those side ones where the fixed ones...

So where are the fixed guns going if those sides are the turrets?

hey molo you could use rapid ions on those babies. THought that would be more fitting with the kadeshi cause of ions etc.

Agh I see I caused some confusion. There are a total of Two Turrets, each with three guns (= total six guns).

Nothing will be added really, what's on there is on there. As for what weapon they'll be, most likely some blue kinetic/plasma weapon.

Still can't get the damned thing to look nice though :/

Edit: Can't get it to look nice from all angles. One angle always looks off...

Edit2: I'm thinking of going back to the original kadeshi corvette chassis I made and working from there. The Multigun Corvette will just not come out the way I want it to.
    Last edited by mololu; 26th May 10 at 2:43 PM.

I think it's pretty good, turret looks nice from the front view. The only thing I don't like so much is the "face" and its rounded window (I just can't imagine this ship to make the arrogant speech like "If you will not join, then die, there is no withdraw from the garden").

Mololu, can i have the model, i wanna play with it See if i can make it look nice ^^

Sure.

Uhh, it will probably take until about 9 hours till I'm home and can send it to you. I'll PM.

oh and to me, if you remove the turrets it looks better suited as a scout or maybe a drone.

Ninja'ed :/ Okay, Ill wait, or ill just model off that one

hey molo you could use rapid ions on those babies. THought that would be more fitting with the kadeshi cause of ions etc.
    Not realistic to have ions on something that small. Even the Hiigs, which are the best in the field of ion technology aside from the Bentusi, didn't manage to fit ions in anything smaller than a frigate. Pulsar-like guns are plausible though.

Not realistic to have ions on something that small. Even the Hiigs, which are the best in the field of ion technology aside from the Bentusi, didn't manage to fit ions in anything smaller than a frigate. Pulsar-like guns are plausible though.
    I'm glad i'm not the only one thinking this. Especially since the Deshi focus seems to be more on railgun tech than Ion tech, (MBF aside, which AFAIK in it's HW1 config is also somewhat larger than the standard HW1 frigates)). So i wouldn't expect their miniturisation to be THAT good.

Though PDS does sillier things, so somones tried it.

On a mini-frigate design like the one Math suggested in the other thread though, i could see it working.

Given the MBF I made is actually smaller than the original (and other frigates) and had its beams reduced from 4 to 2, the small frigate concept would really work.

Exception I see is the podship, which would have to remain large due to its need to supply other ships and the inherit shield generator which is probably bulky.

Edit: Oh, and I don't like the ion idea either. Thus far the smallet ship with ions is the Keeper Marauder and that's really just an ion cannon on steroids - and it's a keeper design.

Edit2: Why do these discussions keep on sprawling over multiple threads? Makes it sort of confusing to follow...

Edit3: I can't spell

Maybe you should post each of your new designs on your own thread first, then on the Showroom 1-2 days after. This way the main discussion will be on your thread instead of here.

Good idea!

Simple and so obvious it didn't occur to me.

I had thought to only post finished stuff in my thread but given the confusion this is causing I think that's worth changing in future.

I love the front view; it looks like an awesome fusion of Swarmers and Fuel Pods with nifty Giant Guns on the sides.

Not sure if its iKadesh enough but hey, it was my attempt at a corvette, maybe even a frigate.

Would probably work better as eitheir a frigate or a halwat dsign between a frigate and a corvette.

Whats the underside look like BTW?

Like it though.

EDIT: Which is saying a lot, so far mololu seems to be the only guy doing convincing Deshi designs.

Interesting design, I think it would fit a light frigate best.

On that note, you'll really want to smooth those edges to make it look kadeshi. The turrets are amazing too

Glad to see I'm not the only one trying to 'deshi.

Oh, and texturing fast works really simply on small ships using 256*256 scale textures. Takes about a half hour or so to fully texture a kadesh swarmer cutting and pasting and adding new bits where needed.

Looks kadesh, a big swarmer, but too many polys on the turrets and too litlle on the side suports, the bottom could use some tweaking also. But great model, really kadesh.

Quick question: Is there a limit to how many polys a ship can have? If yes, then what is the limit?
    "Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own buddy list."

There's no hardcoded limit that i'm aware of and the engine and modern PC's can handle a lot. But obviouslly there ARE limits in terms of eventually no PC can handle the train. Plus somone earlier mentioned texturing issues on high polly models.

for polies, I should keep a bit above the standard HW2 models, but not too far, depends on the model, battlecruisers are barely in the game, while fighters are in glorious numbers.

Smooth it? Okay

Turanics, anyone?

well, now that you have unraveled my interest, i would like to hear your opinion on this turanic assault frigate (perhaps cruiser)... standard armament:

2x anti-fighter/vette kinetic flak turrets
    2x 4 anti corvette burst missiles
    1x forward facing heavy plasma bomb

Bear in mind that this is a 15 min job with beer in the middle... So dont go all "OMG U FAG; THAT SUCKS; UNINSTALL WINGS...n00b" lol

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/homeworld3tobe
    Sign this plz...............that if u want HW3 on stores......

watch my modeling galery.... http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv328/NunoDRKS/

Can you highlight all the weapon positions on that thing? I'm having trouble understanding where everything is supposed to go.

That said not bad actally. Not bad at all. A littile blocky, but i magine a good texture could fix that...

well, as embarrassed as i am now... i forgot to save the f**** file... I lost it O_o

OMG i'm doomed..... BAD DAMN LUCK.... buahahaha *snif* *snif*

Dosn't it prompt you to save before you quit like most programs?

Damm gonna have to watch out for that.

yes, and it prompted that, but as i made the pics, i had in my mind i had saved it, and changing a tiny thing made it prompt the save question, and I cliked NO, thinking it was already saved... Oh my god... When i have the time, i will rebuild it....

OMG U FAG; THAT SUCKS; UNINSTALL WINGS...n00b

lol, i like it, needs some work on the array's, add the engines, and the front... to smooth. i think.

It can be blocky, its Turranic. Hell, their assault carrier is just a huge cargo container with guns and a fighterbay, and funny horns on the top.

I actually think the center of the ship is OK. The bridge and arrays need work though. Still, we hardly see raider designs so this is definitly something new.

Come to think of it, I may venture into making some raider ships in future. But kadesh are still priority :/

This is double posting the same image but to settle the earlier discussion about Path to Victory's Kadeshi Corvette, this is the final base design being used (the turret at the front gets replaced depending on the role):

wow, a space maggot... just kidding. it's a good model, i like the way you spend your polycount, but it doesn't look kadesh to me. sorry.
    But it's a good model.

How can you say it doesnt look kadesh, there were like 5 ships from HW1, who knows what other designs off vessel there were, this is definitely kadeshi style, sleek and modern looking, poly counts too low for something so spherical though :/

Total poly count is around 300 which is large for any of my strike craft. I tend to keep the count low rather than going overboard as it a) makes texturing easier and b) keeps performance reasonable.

But I know what you mean. I may make more detailed LODs in future for all my ships so your issue may be solved then

Luprica, a forge world on the oposite side of the eye of terror. Contemplating treason and revenge.
    I would have to agree with jkberna.
    The Kadeshi are all about being spiky and sort of reminding me of a pirana.

This would look perfect for some sort of attack drone.
    ku, ku, ku.

Nah, spikey?? Hardlyits all about the smoothness! The only real spikes are at the tails, take the MBF for example, no spikes, apart from the tail, which isnt really a spike....

The correct description of the kadeshi is insectoid with some elements from sea animals, not spikes.

I understand the controversy about the ship's image but it will stay this way as it fits the role it is designed to have.

Luprica, a forge world on the oposite side of the eye of terror. Contemplating treason and revenge.
    The adjative did not translate well to English I am afraid.
    What I meant to say is that their strike craft look like every molecule of them is made for just one thing, murdering you.

The swarmers had a face that just said BE AFRAID.
    But you seem to know what you are doing so...

Nono, you are right to critisize.

I know my kadeshi do not 100% fit the original concepts. It's something I'll be having to analyze in future more exactly.

Any about the agressive, you're correct. That is something they are and which my models somewhat lack.

So after the scary "scare" i took when i erased that turanic ship... I have the pleasure to announce a new version. This time i took the underbelly "Mohawk?"

and the twin engines... Think of it as a re-modernization.. instead of old rust buckets... they need power you know...

Here it is

This time, please press the save button extra diligently.

Also, I clearly see that this is something I would not want to meet in the void of space when I don't have a destroyer handy.

Cool model.

Yeah, much better than the old one.

Purple your right about the swarmers, they look like pure evil, its the bent down front, and the little "teeth"

For a lack of better wording, the Kadeshi swarmers always invoked something like this in my head: http://texasjusticeforall.files.word...cious-dog1.jpg (got it from google search)

I'm in mixed minds about it. Like the new back half and turrets, but i think the front half of the old is better. this looks a bit thin and fragile IMHO, and whilst the angularity is a turanic thing, i thionk the slightly rounded nature of the 1st attempt worked better. It was still angular enoygh for a Turanic, but it also helped give it a certian sleekness to it so that it felt more like a warhsip than HW1's Bricks in space, (somthing that applies to all HW1 ships IMHO, so i'm not specifiying Turanics alone).

TBH i think HW2 swarmers will never be as good as HW1 ones in soem area. Just because the low detail of HW1 left a lot of stuff hinted at that your imagination then filled in. the higher quality HW2 enviroment dosen't allow for that and it's nearly impossibble to recreate the feel exactly in a high detail model as what each of us fills things in with is diffrent.

Overall though. Yet again i like it withn tho pods and the new advanced swarmer. They may not eactly match anything Deshi, but they have the feel of them which is far more important IMHO. Like i said exact match isn't gonna happen no matter how hard you try.

I do like Keyboards missile idea, very Vaygr Missile corvette style, but then thats a ship with a lot of stykle, though you could alternativly lin themtogether on a low slave time and have it fire off a really rapid burst of missiles, the effect can be quite nice actually, (i wish i could show you a video of my re-worked BC's secondary battary as it works like that and the effect is kinda cool IMHO).

Just one thing, the arrays, they need to be more triangular, take a look at the original. The spike underneath looked more turanic.

Nuno, you might want to practice shapes some more, have you tried different ways of modelling? there's different ways on how you put a model together.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information