View Poll Results: See Post#31 for Images: Which atmosphere do you like?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • A: First Atmosphere

8 25.81%
  • B: Second Atmosphere

9 29.03%
  • C: Third Atmosphere

14 45.16%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Bergy68:[Tractor Works]4v4[WIP] Historical Layout/ Starts at Post#19

Sunken Rail Housing

Heres a small update on the sunken rail housing.

I love those sunken rail housings, didnt expect that at all looks interesting, the more pics i see from the map progress the more thrilled i get to test it xD

BTW bergy, could you give me any tips about how to do those "sunken/raised platforms.
    im having trouble doing a 100% straight height increase. Sorry for the offtopic keep up the good work

Mausi

BTW bergy, could you give me any tips about how to do those "sunken/raised platforms.
    im having trouble doing a 100% straight height increase
    They never are 100% straight up and down, I wish they were.

As for my approach, sometimes I'll just sculpt a platform or a sunken area (such as a trench) with the hight editor.

For the rail housing I used a spline then adjusted the curves in the edit profile under the deform icon. Im still having some issues my self here and there with them, It can be a little tedious at times. If you have any other questions always feel free to ask. If I can answer it I always will.

I love those sunken rail housings, didnt expect that at all looks interesting, the more pics i see from the map progress the more thrilled i get to test it xD
    Same for me.

But I have some questions (suggestions). Could you please add here an loading ramp, if it is possible? Give it objects like flat trailers, where we can place on an vehicle (T-34, only as an map object)?

Jagdpanther

Could you please add here an loading ramp, if it is possible? Give it objects like flat trailers
    Jag if look closly at the pic you'll see a couple of flat beds cargo trains. and a ramp connected to them...but this wont be the T34 side. That will be close to the russian side of the map. This one is on the geman side of the map, maybe we can think of something else to have on the cargo flatbeds.

Ah ok.

Hmmm mmmh! Amazing Lovit =P
    "SHIT!" "Watch your language soldier!" "It's not language! It's shit! Literally..."
    Life's a bitch... and then you die... so deal with it! Any questions?
    "I went outside once... the graphics were alright, but the gameplay sucked!"

Thanks Sarge

edit:

well i started to add some details around the rail housing, here are some pic of a loading platform.

Last edited by bergy68; 22nd Aug 10 at 4:21 PM.

wow again bergy you have surpassed yourself, awesome job. can't wait to rain some Katushya rockets down on that loading dock.

Thanks for the tips btw

Especially the second and third screenshot looks very atmospheric because of the lightning.

wow, nice work so far... I can see a lot of thought has gone into the look of this map before you even started adding objects.

As in, how all the objects are aligned with the height map.
    "They who give up their liberty for temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -- Benjamin Franklin

Mausi

Thanks for the tips btw
    no problem anytime

Jagdpanther

Especially the second and third screenshot looks very atmospheric because of the lightning
    time for a change thou most the pics of late have been atmosphere #3 from the poll and some from #2. time for some from #1 i think.

Zero3eleven

wow, nice work so far... I can see a lot of thought has gone into the look of this map before you even started adding objects.
    As in, how all the objects are aligned with the height map.
    thanks zero, i appreciate the kind words, i tend to do a lot of sketches (god view usally) and some in prespective, usally for main structures, all the mis objects fall into place after that. i'm glad you like things so far.

well i have today and tommorow off time for some serious mapping, ill have a some pics up later today.

edit: where i'm at, at the moment

Last edited by bergy68; 23rd Aug 10 at 4:37 PM.

final platform details

a minor update, platform details done.

edit: i decided to go with atmosphere #2

a little area outside of the compound with some junk laying around and a few dirt piles

still working around that same area. extending it out a bit.

Last edited by bergy68; 23rd Aug 10 at 7:58 PM.

factory edges

well i managed to get a nice chunk of a small area done last night before bed...images are of workers barracks close to the sunken rail housing and some sorounding terrain done as well.

this last pic should give a an idea of distance, those are the geman starting positions in th bg.

The ground textures looks in this atmosphere setting like snow.

Could you make those three mini hills on the loading dock looks like sand hills or coal hills?

The total screenshot gives us an good impression of their huge size.

It could be a bit more realistic, if the german starting places uses the complete width. So stalingrad is encircled, but the russians are only available at a small place to reinforce.

large sunken rail housing/rail canal-way

Jagdpanther

Could you make those three mini hills on the loading dock looks like sand hills or coal hills?
    already done they have dirt splats on them, just cant tell in the shots

So stalingrad is encircled, but the russians are only available at a small place to reinforce.
    for the minimod...yes!

edit:

well down at the other end from our first sunken rail housing lies two hangers connected together to make one very large hanger. a deffinate candidate for our tractor factory. built with splines, i opened up areas in-between the factory frame work to allow passage from one side to the other. the spline that lies between is a width of 8.000 which should allow space for even tanks to pass through. i hope to have some close to finished pics up before i'm done tonight, but i suspect this will take almost 6to8hrs to finish this housing.

another posibble concept i'm looking at is a leadway to a type of sunken canal meant for rail lines, that leads to or out of our large tractory factory in the bg in the first pic. i think i'll play around with it for a bit see where it goes. these are very early stage pics.

a little up date.

and a final overview of the area...

ps: does anyone know if the bridges\best_brid is destructable and if it is can it be re-built?
    Last edited by bergy68; 24th Aug 10 at 9:22 PM.

That looks cool! A basic question about these bridge: Is these passable beyond?

I don't understand many of the terms in mapping but 6-8 hours for one building is really many time.

Jagdpanther

A basic question about these bridge: Is these passable beyond?
    yes accept for the train bridge, its (oob(out of bounds).

but 6-8 hours for one building is really many time
    for these factories yeah, with the details the spline work splat work and so on it all adds up, plus im still a little slow at this. still learning. im also very anal with this kinda stuff, its a lot like when im working on my artwork. if two factories and some track and or road are parrel to it then they should be alligned in the map. all flood lights are for the most part an even distance from one another, i love realistic details.

best eg: the first sunken rail house, i noticed when i rotated the crane arm it hit one of the factory sections. i was like, "well...that it isnt real now is it..." to myself, so i adjusted that factory section so the crane arm has a full 360d turn avalible. like i said im picky.

19. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #119
    there's a lot of problems with those OF bridges, they can be destroyed, but not repaired, and their very buggy. I'd suggest if you want to use them to add a SCAR file to the map making them invincible. There's a tutorial on it on these forums, in this mapping section i'm pretty sure.

The map looks great, the time setting is nice to.

this map is massive, lol

Lethal Dosage

there's a lot of problems with those OF bridges, they can be destroyed, but not repaired, and their very buggy. I'd suggest if you want to use them to add a SCAR file to the map making them invincible.
    invincible sounds like a plan, im ok with that. thanks ld
    oh yeah the rail bridge is oob.

Aidas2

the time setting is nice to
    thank-ya

IplayForKeeps

this map is massive, lol
    nahhhhhh the factories are massive. but the map is extra large

a small up date before work...some more work done around our rail canal and surounding area.

Last edited by bergy68; 26th Aug 10 at 4:18 PM.

Looking nice, i hope that there will be alot of tactical cover! sandbag positions, crates etc ... and the side parts get a little desolate like on the pictures so it not gets packed into a pure house 2 house map.

keep up the good work.

Mausi

i hope that there will be alot of tactical cover! sandbag positions, crates etc...
    yup absloutly, aside from that, both sides were dug in pretty good during the fighting, so you may see a few trenches(aside from sewers in the factories, which will provide simalar cover) with bunkers attached to them...but these details will come much later, after ive laid out the map and painted my sectors in.

and the side parts get a little desolate like on the pictures so it not gets packed into a pure house 2 house map.
    yup, the germans will have fairly open side to the right of there bases, the russians to there left. both open sides for both leads to the enemys bases. so, nice and open for flanking manuvers.

details of large sunken rail housing

well i've hit a wall...with some details, being limited to models sucks at times but ohhh wellll...anyways heres some details pics of inside this large factory so far...

Mhmm, looks like a factory! Do I have now won a price?

The factory looks good! All it needs is some debris and t34 wrecks

Why wrecks? It's a factory not a scrapping system. So what we really need are parts of tanks in some different states. But that's another story.

yeah but the reason i suggested wrecks in the factory was because if battle has been going on in the factories there would probaly not be any functional t34's there anymore :P
    would be pretty wired to see some fresh t34s rdy to mount and go in a battlehardened factory.

But yeah t34's parts would aslo be epic but that requires modeling right ?

would be pretty wired to see some fresh t34s rdy to mount and go in a battlehardened factory.
    Yes this would be cool. We will see, what we can do for the minimod. But nothing is definitive here. But you're right this needs modeling, so it's definitively not possible for the map, or EF can help here by making such objects for us.

Mausi

because if battle has been going on in the factories there would probaly not be any functional t34's there anymore :P
    believe it or not mausi, the russians were still producing there t34's during the heaviest of fighting in the tractor area...the t34's coming off the line were steel grey in color, the russians didnt have the time to paint them just pump them out as fast as they could.

so in the minimod theres a plan if the russian player holds a particular strategic point, he will recieve as reinforcments some of these t34's that are unpainted. but for any of this to fall through...will need the permission of the eastern front mod team.

here are some new pics of this area...you'll note figures in the fg and bg to give you an idea of scale.

first just outside of the factory.

next half way in...

looking from the back to the front.

halfway again

and this one, i just liked the angle of the shot.

WOW, your map begins to live. You are an artist.

lol thanks jag.

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

This is amazing, if a map look THIS good and its not finished then its already great!

thank-ya thank-ya thank-ya sarge!!!

well heres where i'm at now...

what i still have left to do...

and a prespective overview of the areas.

WOW! Good luck!

ope your map isn't released before I get my new rig bergy! I'm warning you! Take your time, otherwise I'll cry

sgt.davis

ope your map isn't released before I get my new rig bergy! I'm warning you! Take your time, otherwise I'll cry
    no worries sarge!!! , youn have plenty of time i suspect the map won't be done till mid-fall at the earliest.(full-time job...dammit!!! i wish this was it.)

i have no idea

i have no idea what this is at the moment...but i had an idea last night and went with it. its in that big factory that the recent pics have been. all the dudes in the map are for my refrence when im constructing something like this.

Looks like a dry dock. But that's not a ship factory. For what is it then?

like i said no idea...hmmmm let callit a dancing pink farm

when you edit it a litle bit, it could be a storage tank for dirty water coming from the factory...

i have no idea what this is at the moment...
    It's freaking awesome... is what it is!

I know your a perfectionist just like me... remember to put a fence post on the end of those steel fences, there's one missing in the first screenshot of your last post, you can see the two wires of the fence kinda just hovering in the air.

I know there isn't a single fence post for that kinda fence so I would either take a single fence section turn it around 180 deg. and line it up perfectly or use some other object to cap the end of the fence.

It always drives me crazy to see to see unfinished fences and there beams magically floating in mid air.

keep up the great work, this makes me want to start a new map.

Hey Bergy could you explain me how to make a sunset atmosphere in a map? Its something i really would like to know how to do, and i see your pretty good at tweaking those atmospheres xD

when you edit it a litle bit, it could be a storage tank for dirty water coming from the factory...
    Yepp I think that could fit, or add some fuel tanks there or something.

FYI

Hi gang, great work bergy68 !!

The "structure" in question is not that big a mystery. This is a "blast pit" for testing out different firearms and flame throwers on selected Tanks as they come off the final assembly line. Its part of the Collective Agreement between the workers and the Central Red Government to maintain quality control at all times. Besides it encourages "crewers" if they see how the armour stops everything fired at it..... although they fail to mention the Fascists will be using 88mm ammunition which they haven't been able to acquire for testing purposes

Have a great day
    Well....! it was grape juice!!

presi.jan

interesting idea...hmmm.

Zero3eleven

i have no idea what this is at the moment...
    It's freaking awesome... is what it is!

lmao...thanks zero. as for fence ya it aint done yet...problem is i cant find a post for this fence in wb. sucks.

edit:
    I know there isn't a single fence post for that kinda fence so I would either take a single fence section turn it around 180 deg. and line it up perfectly or use some other object to cap the end of the fence
    ha ha saw this after the fact.

Jagdpanther

Yepp I think that could fit, or add some fuel tanks there or something.
    yep...we're getting there, this is what i love thanks for the ideas everyone this is awsome. i love these brainstorming sessions

XAMOT

This is a "blast pit" for testing out different firearms and flame throwers on selected Tanks as they come off the final assembly line. Its part of the Collective Agreement between the workers and the Central Red Government to maintain quality control at all times. Besides it encourages "crewers" if they see how the armour stops everything fired at it..... although they fail to mention the Fascists will be using 88mm ammunition which they haven't been able to acquire for testing purposes
    lmao...wow a lot a thought when in to that one. we'll see...

ok an idea i had was this im gonna flip the the structure in question to face the other way...copy it and have an identicle one in the factory across the road so it gives the impression of a tunnel leadind under the road. in the pit area of both will be strategic points.

what ya think?

edit:
    well i deleted the structure (no it will be back) after rotating the splines in the map...and seeing the re-aligning that will be needed i decided it would be easier to re-build it again. but out of destruction comes new ideas as well.
    Last edited by bergy68; 30th Aug 10 at 5:24 PM.

wow looks great so far, just like to say that im going to be like a 5 year old and the scalelectrics on christmas when this comes out

Beefy^

just like to say that im going to be like a 5 year old and the scalelectrics on christmas when this comes out
    lol thanks man, timing for release sounds almost right. maybe mid november .

alrighty back in that same factory, heres what i started for that new structure after deleting the old. so far i like this one more. pics are with the impass overlay on so you can see its shape better. edventually the stairs, walls and will back again.

Is that passable by tanks? It looks like a trap for everything, only one entrance.

This "blast pit" idea from @Xamot sounds interesting. So it is not fully senseless. If there are stairs on the other side (so as you had it before), then it isn't a trap for infantry and you can use it for an resource or strategic point and, in addition as an eye catcher.

This scaffold on the side, is it usable like a trench or only a visual object. It looks really good.

Jagdpanther

If there are stairs on the other side (so as you had it before), then it isn't a trap for infantry and you can use it for an resource or strategic point and, in addition as an eye catcher
    yup stairs will be there again...this is just the early beggings. ill be looking in to preventing vehicles entering this location.

this idea was soley to simulate the close combat with infantry inside the factories.
    damm for the mini we could add like hand to hand combat somehow.

This scaffold on the side, is it usable like a trench or only a visual object. It looks really good
    unfortuannly it isnt walkable...maybe it can be modded to be.

edit: took a break from are unknown srtucture. splines driving me nuuutttsss so...started some more outside work here are a couple of pics of what will be a munnitions yard (can you say munnitions=16 maybe).

Last edited by bergy68; 30th Aug 10 at 8:36 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information