Solarians: a new race (working title)

Solarians: a new race (working title)

About me (you can skip this bit if you wish): Noob here, go easy. Well I am and I'm not, I've been interested in Warhammer and 40k for more than 10 years, although I've never collected an army or played the game very often. I was always more interested in the concept rather than the gameplay, I always bought the white dwarf magazine rather than the figures. I always had a lot of ideas for armies and characters etc, here's one of them I've had recently if anyone is interested.

So here's the basic backstory. If you'll forgive my lack of scientific understanding perhaps you can help me fill out the fluff a little.

**EDIT: DISREGARD THE FOLLOWING

Far beyond the reaches of the human empire, beyond even the knowledge of the Eldar, an ancient star began to slowly fade. This would go unnoticed by even its closest civilization for a long time, living as they were thousands of light years away. And even had it been noticed it would have drawn no great amount of attention, for the sirian galaxy, although small, contained many other stars and planets, more notable for their size. At least, this is the speculation in retrospect to the events at outpost dxii. Dxii was a minor satellite space station, on the edge of the sirian glaxy, created to document and chart the positions of major planets and potential mining locations. The Emperor had long had his eye on the rich uranium deposits in siria iv, and intended to expand his empire. However, he had more pressing matters to attend to, and when a precursory scan showed no advanced life forms or indeed any other threats, the orders were given to set up the station on the moon orbiting a dead and uninhabitable planet. Life there was mundane, the few soldiers had nothing more to occupy them than a few hot words at the bar or mess hall. The scientists, although they were kept busy documenting the entire galaxy, and dealing with the occasional hardware problem, had no serious challenges to face, contrary to the rumors there was nothing more exciting than a nearby planet with a basic civilization who appeared to be engaged in a World War. Apart from idle curiosity this planet held no interests for the scientists, it was essentially a barren rock with funghi and crab-like creatures, hunted by slightly larger scorpion creatures, both of which in turn were hunted by the tribes. One evening, at the monthly eclipse on which it had become customary for all the people on dxii to gather and drink (there were around 150 inhabitants at this point, not including the children who were sent to their beds early) their attention was turned from the satellite monitor showing (as usual) a raging battle between various tribes, loosely allied in a confederacy the humans had named ‘the scars’ (after their leaders hideous gash revealing much of his skull). The object that had drawn their attention was a solar flare, in fact it looked more like a meteor but amazingly it hadn’t burnt under the intense heat of the sun, causing the scientists lengthy debate. As the scientists engaged in excited speculation as to the nature of the anomaly, the soldiers soon went back to the screens, and continued their betting. Meanwhile the scientists were growing ever more puzzled by the phenomenon, which wasn’t helped by the data analysis from their probes or satellites. In fact it became something of a talking point, bored as they were by a decade of monotonous data analysis and tedious scientific reports. After a few months the radio signals reached them from their probes, and showed conclusively that the object had indeed been a meteor of some description, had been travelling at the speed of light and had landed on the surface of the sun. Curiously it seemed to be composed of metals, in a state of plasma, and emitted a vapor trail suggesting some sort of nuclear reaction. Subsequent scans showed irregular activity on the suns surface, although of course it was hard to tell Given the nature of a Stars atmosphere. Speculation abounded, one scientist even suggested these were some sort of carbon-based life forms, though of course he was laughed at by the rest of the scientists who thought him mad.
    Life continued as normal for the next few months, and the anomaly, as yet unexplained, was largely forgotten, indeed the scientists inability to explain the phenomena was an embarrassment to them and they ceased to discuss it. In fact it was only entered in the log of one particular engineer, as a possible cause for disruption on satellite dxii s34 shortly after the event. Just a few weeks later however, the satellite ceased communications entirely, and again the scientists were baffled. It was out of visual scope, on its orbit around the planet. The last few signals seemed to indicate some sort nuclear blast, but being so close to the sun and such an inhospitable planet this was nothing unusual, although a little frustrating for the scientists who would have to wait a few weeks for it to come within range for repair. When the second satellite came around s34’s former position, there was nothing remarkable save for a mass of bodies identified as members the crab claw tribe. The rest of their people appear to have left their city, and it was assumed there had been a major battle there, although strangely the victors had not moved into the new territory as was customary. Perhaps it was because they had burnt the city to the ground, and for that matter much of the surrounding vegetation. In fact the only indication of the battle was the weaponry and rhinoar carcasses (a sort of boar/ rhino like creature ridden by the warriors). Had it been a simple forest fire the tribe would have evacuated, as had been witnessed on previous occasions. Two days later, as the telescopes panned the horizon a horrific scene emerged. The carnage was much the same as before except it was happening before their eyes. Scientists, soldiers and workers alike gathered to watch on the radio screens as hundreds of tribesmen, women and children were gathered together, fighting for their lives. Remarkably it appeared as though the scar and claw clans, hitherto sworn enemies, were back to back, fighting against an unspeakable force. At the forefront were invisible, shapeless creatures, lashing out with razor-sharp teeth and talons, clawing through the tribesmen, cutting, slashing and biting them mercilessly in a wave of destruction. These creatures, if you could call them such, were like a void of light, like black holes into which light and life were sucked mercilessly. The beings behind them were no less remarkable either. They were almost the antithesis of the ‘spooks’ as the aforementioned became known to the humans. They were like living flame, manifestations of the plasma the marines used in their weaponry. They gave off a bright light, that could even be faintly seen on the planet by the naked eye as the humans looked up in horror. Where they walked they left a trail of flames and embers, and behind them was nothing but scorched, black dust and charred bones. After 6 days the entire continent had been ravaged, and nothing was left save smoke and ash and black burnt rock. The scientists recorded this in a scramble and sent off their beacon ship, which they sent off every other month to transmit their findings. They argued at length over who or what these creatures were. It was widely believed they were chaos demons, and yet the two soldiers who had faced them had seen nothing like it in their time. Some speculated they were Dark Eldar, yet others that they were some warped version of the Necrons or Eldar. However there were no known colonies of these races within hundreds of light years, and if there had intelligence would have forewarned them. Professor Magnusson, who had put forth the theory of creatures adapted or evolved to live on the sun, again he was dismissed but he wrote his theory into the logs and it was sent out with the beacon ship the last time it ever left the colony. It remains to this day the primary source of information on the Solarians. A few days later the beacon ship was lost shortly after it transmitted its last message back to the Empire, and was returning to the outpost. A year later a squadron of Blood Angels arrived at the outpost, only to find it in much the same condition as the planet nearby. The life forms, whatever they were, were gone. Leaving nothing behind but their destruction.
    (work in progress!)

Thats probably waay too long to read, so i'll give you the basic rundown. Solarians (like I say, working title) are a race that live on stars (bear with me). They are carbon-based life forms, however they are in a continuous plasma state. They don't have advanced technology, except the ships they used to escape their dying homeworld, a star that was entering the red dwarf stage. They left and travelled between solar systems, after a minor skirmish with the space marines they encroached into Tau territory. Not much is known about them, the names given to them are given by the human scientists that first observed them. Their language is a very basic set of symbols (I'm working on it, I've got the numbers down but not much of the language yet). There are two basic types of 'Solarian', there are the aforementioned type, and another type, who are beleived to be beings made of dark matter called 'spooks' (again working title). They are almost invisible although they absorb light rather than it passing through them, I suppose they could be physically represented by some sort of slightly tinted clear resin. They come in different shapes and are not bound by natural laws.
    The leader is a living God of the Sun, and his accomplice a demi God who is another HQ unit. 'Spooks' are the fast attack units, i can't scan my drawing but basically they look like scorpions, and come in units.

Solarian technology is not very advanced. They use mysterious ships to travel between solar systems, where they colonise the star and ravage the planets. Their elite skirmish troops use a sort of staff/ axe/ spear thing (lets call it a halberd for the sake of argument) which is so hot it cuts through most armor like a light sabre through cheese. Their troops use bows which fire flaming arrows. travelling at the speed of light of course. The Sun God uses a sort of diamond/ crystal thing attached to his staff which radiates a burning light. The major disadvantage is almost all their weaponry is used in skirmishes. ANother disadvantage is unlike other chapters they are in a very hostile, comparatively cold climate. They need some sort of cloaking technology to survive. If it is destroyed then they are too. However this also has the advantage of making them difficult to approach, as most organic life forms burn on contact with them.

**EDIT: UPDATED POSSIBLE ARMY LIST

HQ
    Sun God (there are various manifestations of the Sun God, followed by different clans) controls the divine wind, which bombards the enemy with radiation doing small amounts of damage. Carries a sceptre with a special crystal, which redirects light into a focal point and serves as a long range laser-type weapon. In close combat the staff is superheated and can cut through many types of armour.
    Demi Gods (various entities, various powers)
    High priest Holds the power of sacrifice, empowering the Sun God
    High priestess Has great powers of fire and lightning. Can manifest as the Sun Godess.

Elite
    Priestesses led by a High Priestess
    Watchers human/ demi-God hybrids. Armed with flaming swords
    Archimage Uses his own body to shoot fireballs and intense bliding burning light at the enemy. Can also conjure a stormcloud reigning down thumnder and lightning bolts. Not powerful in skirmishes however.

Troops
    Solarian Warriors Can be led by a brave armed with either halberds bows or swords. halberds and bows are made of plasma, holding their form with electromagnetic fields. They can cut through very strong armour. Bows fire flaming arrows of lightning.
    Solarian Riders Solarians mounted on spectres, although the spectres themselves do not have any combat ability they increase the speed of the unit, although they do not move as quickly as normal spectre squads. Armed with light lances to cut through the enemy.

Fast Attack
    Spectre scorplions Beings of dark matter allied to or controlled by the Solarians, have no weapons but move very quickly and use their claws to strangle and slash enemies. Move in packs of 7. Not totally invisible as they absorb light and appear like a void. (think the creatures in pitch black only invisible. could be physically represented by clear or slightly tinted resin).

Fulgur particularly mobile solarian, can fly very quickly over the battlefield and use their hands to burn the enemy. (picture the human torch from fantastic 4)

Heavy Support
    Alpha Spectre Giant Spectre with added strength and resilience but reduced speed.
    Supernova From high above the battlefield, the supernova (a tiny star contained in a silica shell) can focus its deadly rays onto the enemy below.
    Last edited by Hachiman; 16th Aug 10 at 9:25 AM.

What would be the best way to design a new race for consideration by the powers that be? I can do a little artwork myself, although nothing fancy. I assume they would prefer to develop the rules themselves, which suits me fine. I can do a bit of the fluff, although as you can see I tend to get a bit carried away! I thought of making a codex, with the stats left blank. This might give a better overall feel of the army.

Carbon-based life living on the sun?.......Got to be honest here. Don't like the idea, even a bit.
    EMPERORS FURRIEH!!!!!

An interesting take on a new race. its clear youve put time into this. I have a few questions.

So they live on stars - why do they want to attack other planets, and how do they survive on other planets? If the red dwarf didnt provide enough energy for them, how can they survive?
    ANother disadvantage is unlike other chapters they are in a very hostile, comparatively cold climate. They need some sort of cloaking technology to survive. If it is destroyed then they are too. However this also has the advantage of making them difficult to approach, as most organic life forms burn on contact with them.
    Again, if they need 'cloaking tech' (do you mean life support?) to survive, whay are they attacking the planets in the first place? Surely their stars provide enough energy?

Also,I would remove all of the 'at the speed of light' stuff. If the ship arrived on the star at the speed of light, it would appear (to an observer) to have always been there. Also, bows and arrows. Made of? If they are infinitely how, wouldnt wood burn? Also the energy needed to fire an arrow at light speed would be phenomenal. And impossible.

Basically any race capable of moving on an individual basis at the speed of light would be invincible.

Solarian guard seem a bit odd. A defensive unit in an army that is attack oriented?

The army list bears too many similarities to the necrons to me.

Sun God - the necron army is led by gods - the C'tan, and their underlings, necron lords.

They have guards- immortals and pariahs
    They have a large spidery thing in the tomb spyder.
    They have small spidery things in the scarabs.

EDIT: Realised my words may seem harsh. It is critacism, but hopefully constructive to producing a well-rounded tight background to your race, and something unique to the 40k universe.
    Last edited by Xenith; 6th Aug 10 at 12:36 PM.
    Eldar in 5th Ed. A Tactica, by Xenith

"Give a man a match and he will be warm for a day. Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life" - Terry Pratchett

"That logic wouldn't apply to Space Marines because they are not hollow." - CFoley

Carbon-based life living on the sun?.......Got to be honest here. Don't like the idea, even a bit.

Carbon based lifeforms cannot live on a sun. Carbon based lifeforms are made from elements especially oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen, and carbon, these elements the sun need to burn, hence the lifeforms would burn up.

Also a sun is not a solid surface, its a gas ball like jupiter, no Carbon lifeform can "walk" there, since there is nothing to walk on. a solid object would fall into the center of the sun (provided it didnt burn up from the heat first). And finally the surface temp of a sun is above 5500 C (which again would cause the any carbon based lifeform to burst into flames)

All things in the universe are bound by the natural law (laws of psychics), to say that some of the creature can defy the laws of the universe, basically make them... gods?!?!?

It might be beter to have them live on planets very close to the sun, much like the planet mercury in our solar system; that way they'd have a reason to attack other races and you wouldnt need to invent a crazy explanation for how they can survive on a star.
    Another thing to take into account is that the Imperium has never colonized another galaxy, making their origins somewhere far out on an eastern fringe spiral arm would problary be best.
    finaly its known that the orginal uncorrupted C'tan were energy beings that lived on/around stars, one of these beings would make a perfect "Sun god".
    (Formerly "The Herald")

http://ezinearticles.com/?Plasma-Car...sion&id=948088
    That gives a good idea the potential symbiosis of carbon-based lifeforms and plasma. The problem is that carbon-based life is pretty much anything on the planet; whilst living on a star is great in theory and gives potential question of how it's pretty mundane.

If you want an element that will survive on a star then I would personally go with silica.
    Crystalline beings that could even be the anti-thesis of Tyranids, able to regrow and replicate given time and energy (http://www.sciencekidsathome.com/sci...tals.html#more)

Also remember that the only thing in the 40k universe that defecates all over the physical laws is Chaos. Bending the laws is more likely possible but defying them is the work of Chaos or Gods (or both).

As Xenith pointed out there is little believeable drive behind the Solarians, they will never find more energy than at the heart of a star; They would probably exert more than they gain by attacking a planet.

Energy driven xenos have two wonderful points of view from the Tyranids and the C'tan, one driven by a hunger for bio-matter and one that seeks to consume even the stars themselves (or at least have the potential to do so).
    I speak english, bad english and terrible english ^^

You mean you don't like it because its impossible, because many aspects of the World of Warhammer 40k don't fit in neatly with the laws of physics. Or do you simply mean you don't like the concept? I don't like the concept or design of the Tau, it just makes them a more interesting opponent imo.

So they live on stars - why do they want to attack other planets, and how do they survive on other planets? If the red dwarf didnt provide enough energy for them, how can they survive?
    The reason they attack planets is unclear, they will always be a mystery much like the necrons. It would be impossible to study them or even properly observe them on their home star. I am trying to think of some way they would turn planets into very small stars somehow, and colonise them. For survival I thought either they wore some sort of suit or armor that emanates huge amounts of heat, or they have have a ship like a very small star that protects them from orbit. The star was very old, they had a long time to evolve and learn of the impending doom of their homeworld. Its then that they began to set off in search of new colonies and encountered other species.

its clear youve put time into this
    Actually no I came up with the idea of a race of beings living on stars a while ago for an sci-fi movie, but I haven't really put a huge amount of thought into it, as I don't know anything about science (can you tell?) and not a lot about 40k fluff either. So I came here to get some help building the concept from the ground up essentially.

Also,I would remove all of the 'at the speed of light' stuff. If the ship arrived on the star at the speed of light, it would appear (to an observer) to have always been there. Also, bows and arrows. Made of? If they are infinitely how, wouldnt wood burn? Also the energy needed to fire an arrow at light speed would be phenomenal. And impossible.
    It would be effectively no different from teleportation, but in terms of gameplay it would be ridiculous to have a character or vehicle moving at the speed of light, so scratch that! The bows and arrows was a bit stupid I was just thinking of some sort of projectile they could use. in close combat i assume they have some sort of high-power plasma sword, I wanted to balance that out with limited weaponry, although they would still need a long range option. If they have the technology to travel between stars though I'm sure they could put together some sort of device. Back to the drawing board on this one I think!

Solarian guard seem a bit odd. A defensive unit in an army that is attack oriented?
    At this point I was struggling for names! Even the Solarians race name is a working title. In retrospect I probably should have done a lot more work on this before posting, but my reasoning was I could do a lot of work and nobody liked the idea, or they did but I had major fundamental flaws in my design and wasted a lot of time with aspects that didn't work.

The army list bears too many similarities to the necrons to me.

Sun God - the necron army is led by gods - the C'tan, and their underlings, necron lords.

They have guards- immortals and pariahs
    They have a large spidery thing in the tomb spyder.
    They have small spidery things in the scarabs.

EDIT: Realised my words may seem harsh. It is critacism, but hopefully constructive to producing a well-rounded tight background to your race, and something unique to the 40k universe.
    I was actually more concerned about similarities to the Eldar, in my head certain aspects are similar. Their weaponry I imagined to be more like the sisters of battle in dow. The 'spooks' are beings made of dark matter, but in shape i imagined them somewhat like the aliens in the film pitch black.

And I very much appreciate the criticism and feedback, any new concepts face harsh criticism its best to get them all ironed out early. Thanks for taking the time to read through and post your response, I didn't read it in any way negatively there are a lot of questions left unanswered and problems unsolved but thats exactly why I posted this here. Can I ask other than the obvious flaws in design, do you like the basic concept? Do you think it would be an interesting addition to 40k?

Carbon based lifeforms cannot live on a sun. Carbon based lifeforms are made from elements especially oxygen, hydrogen and nitrogen, and carbon, these elements the sun need to burn, hence the lifeforms would burn up.
    The two possibilities are either they are formed by some sort of super material that is impervious to the heat of a star (someone suggested silica) or they are actually in some sort of plasma or molten lava form in which case they themselves are burning.

Also a sun is not a solid surface, its a gas ball like jupiter, no Carbon lifeform can "walk" there, since there is nothing to walk on. a solid object would fall into the center of the sun (provided it didnt burn up from the heat first). And finally the surface temp of a sun is above 5500 C (which again would cause the any carbon based lifeform to burst into flames)
    If they were formed by some sort of plasma-like matter, that energy could allow them to float or fly, and rather than being burnt up they would essentially be burning themselves, just as humans are made of materials on planet earth they are formed from materials on the sun. I'm picturing the human torch from the fantastic 4 here.

All things in the universe are bound by the natural law (laws of psychics), to say that some of the creature can defy the laws of the universe, basically make them... gods?!?!?
    I may be wrong but there are other instances in 40k that defy the laws of physics. And besides many physicists believe non-carbon based lifeforms are possible, it just so happens the only life we know is carbon-based and subject to the laws of nature on our planet. The basic concept is hard to fathom, but thats the beauty of sci-fi! Plus it gives the race a unique twist!

It might be beter to have them live on planets very close to the sun, much like the planet mercury in our solar system; that way they'd have a reason to attack other races and you wouldnt need to invent a crazy explanation for how they can survive on a star.
    Thats a definite possibility. The uniqueness of this race was based on their origins though, beyond that I don't have much of interest to offer.

Another thing to take into account is that the Imperium has never colonized another galaxy, making their origins somewhere far out on an eastern fringe spiral arm would problary be best.
    Yes, the beauty of it is they could come from otherwise uninhabitable solar systems. If they had sufficient time and transport technology they could colonise entire galaxies unchallenged. And they would be very hard to fight on their 'home turf'.

finaly its known that the orginal uncorrupted C'tan were energy beings that lived on/around stars, one of these beings would make a perfect "Sun god".
    Thanks, that sounds perfect! It could also open up the possibility of them being a version of the necrons, and being made of silica would make perfect sense in that scenario. Just as we have dark eldar so we could have 'light necrons', although i would need a better name!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Plasma-Ca...usion&id=948088
    That gives a good idea the potential symbiosis of carbon-based lifeforms and plasma. The problem is that carbon-based life is pretty much anything on the planet; whilst living on a star is great in theory and gives potential question of how it's pretty mundane. If you want an element that will survive on a star then I would personally go with silica.
    Crystalline beings that could even be the anti-thesis of Tyranids, able to regrow and replicate given time and energy (http://www.sciencekidsathome.com/sc...stals.html#more)
    Yes Silica sounds ideal, thanks! It could form the basis of an exo-skeletal structure or backbone. It would also remain unchanged on planets they invade, thus removing the need for life support. I also had a lot of ideas for using crystals in the army, particularly in their armor and maybe weaponry.

Also remember that the only thing in the 40k universe that defecates all over the physical laws is Chaos. Bending the laws is more likely possible but defying them is the work of Chaos or Gods (or both).
    In that case the C'Tan are the Gods to go with I think..

As Xenith pointed out there is little believeable drive behind the Solarians, they will never find more energy than at the heart of a star; They would probably exert more than they gain by attacking a planet.
    They could either have a twisted desire for war and death, much like the necrons, or if they developed some technology to turn planets into stars they could be looking to colonise them. The potential of living on a Star is that they have a lot more time to evolve, perhaps they just develop a very war-like spirit, for good or bad. Alternatively they could be reacting defensively, in which case the C'Tan or Chaos Gods are the only ones who could actually attack their homeworld. The C'Tan are actually better suited to being their allies or even creators in this case though.

Energy driven xenos have two wonderful points of view from the Tyranids and the C'tan, one driven by a hunger for bio-matter and one that seeks to consume even the stars themselves (or at least have the potential to do so).
    If they worship a sun-God they perhaps use War as a sacrifice to him, or more fundametally they wish to set the entire galaxy ablaze to feed his power. Their motivation remains unclear however, as nobody understands their language or knows about their civilisation.
    Last edited by Hachiman; 6th Aug 10 at 7:47 PM.

Brazen Attention Who-- MooFreaky's Avatar
    *Moo puts on Modhat

Hachiman, I know you are new here so please read the following link. Specifically Point 10.

Please refrain from Omnilashing.

*Moo takes off Modhat

The idea is a cool one; however, I believe there are some changes that could benefit it.
    While 40k does break the rules of physics, they do tend to try and have a realistic foundation (even if it isn't scientifically correct, they attempt to make it sound feasible). The very idea of carbon based life-forms on a sun is immediately a "wtf?" moment for me, as it just breaks any sense of "realism".

Also, to reiterate what was said early, remember that the sun isn't a solid mass. That said there are many ways to accomplish a living "on the sun" style. Things like having cities that utilise the heat to keep themselves afloat around (or even inside) the sun.

That said, the idea is cool, so why not try and make a few fixes without breaking that idea. Find a type of lifeform that could exist within the sun.

If you are going with a silicon based life form, perhaps you could use some of the cool ideas that Master of Orion used for the Silicoids (not all of them or even any of them, I just mean it as a potential source of cool ideas).

Personally I would make it so that the sun is "infested" somehow with these "parasites", like a nervous system, be it from hydrogen gases or whatnot. Eventually the nervous system after millions of years gives rise to a mind entity that can think. It lives terrified of the C'tan being an eldritch being that has watched for eons as other self aware suns died in agonizing supernovae (with which the sun was forced to listen to) but it still quietly watches and waits, developing countermeasures for when the day of reckoning comes knowing it is the last of its race.
    Eventually when the Imperium arrives to colonise the system it does nothing. It can hear some chatter but not so much to give it alarm as it seems to leave it alone. Only when the Techpriests start sending solar collectors near the sun it spooks it into oblivion that it launches its attack fearing that the C'tan have returned.

It fights back in the only way it can and sends out solar flares to planets carrying seeds of its progeny developed over billions of years to repulse the invaders.
    That's about as far as I can really go with it without it sounding too silly..
    Last edited by Elerium; 7th Aug 10 at 4:22 AM.

Thought.

A race of beings that have evolved to exist in a pure energy state - they have little/no need for physical sustenance, instead absorbing energy directly from the sun - the hotter they are, the faster they metabolise etc. They live near stars to stay energised, and generally float around being peaceful.

Now: Why would they attack other species. They live on/near stars. CTan eat stars. Their star is eaten by a Ctan, but as they exist in a pure energy state, they have no way of interecting with the CTan/fighting them. They exert their considereable powers creating physical forms into which they can channel their energetic selves, physical bodies into which they can combat the Necrons. Made of some form of crystalline substance, perhaps?

Now, essences in constructs smacks of the necrons, so you could eithetr have the background and rune them as necrons, renaming the units, or make up your own rules.

To reflect the high hardness of such crystal, but also its fragility to impactr, maybe a race ofg low T, high Sv models? like, T2, 3+ save?

Just some ideas for development.

Intercept course punched in Elukka's Avatar
    I think that even if you want their attacks on planets be a mystery you still need to come up with a reason for it. Otherwise it just seems the mystery thing is a cop out. Come up with a reason, then if you write stories or whatever drop vague hints as to possibilities as to why they attack.

Also, I think you might want to make your galaxy a solar system instead. Galaxies, even small dwarfs, generally have billions of stars, any of which your species could move to instead of attacking anybody. However, there are lonely stars in otherwise empty space thousands or tens of thousands of light years away from the Milky Way's disk, called halo stars. Conveniently these stars are also all very old, formed only a few billion years after the universe began.

Edit: One more thing... Is the emperor you mention the God-Emperor of Mankind? Because he's in no shape to be thinking about uranium deposits, and doesn't (and can't) actually take any active role in governing the imperium.

I like the idea of energy-based aliens that get their energy from the sun. Both concepts have yet to make an appearence in 40k as far as I know.

So I read this thread, looked at what people were saying, and thought about a few things. Here's just an idea, feel free to use any, all, or none of the concepts I mention.

Their bodies are made up of something akin to cold plasma. They're plasma, and they're cold. They survive by converting thermal energy into usable energy and to keep their own temperature from dropping. It needs to be considerably hot to make use of - as such, things like burning promethium, while hot, might not create enough energy for them, and the burning fluid would be able to disrupt their forms so that the weapons will effect them normally in-game.

In terms of how they appear on the table. Free-floating blobs that cluster together acting as swarms could form the basis. More can group together to form larger blobs. Groups of them will also come together and inhabit mechanical shells, ranging from single suits of armor up to blob-driven walkers. Essentially, they make use of three main unit types: swarms, infantry, walkers. There would also be a handfull of large mluti-wound units and potentially a monstrous creature or two.

Why are they attacking? Population demands for one, they've begun to expand rapidly (when one individual grows large enough, it splits into two individuals). Their sun has grown extremely hot, and the birth rate has shot through the roof. They need to find planets with appropriate atmospheric pressure to maintain their bodies and has a suitable source of energy. Additionally, maybe they can use biological matter of certain kinds in special generator to produce appropriate energy, and humans/orks/nids/eldar/tau/kroot/whatever just happen to be perfect candidates to be thrown into the furnaces. Though to having another harvester race seems kinda... boring. Maybe they're attracted to war zones by the energy and naturally always get pulled into the fighting.

Rules wise: Thermal Energy Induction, an army rule that effects anything that isn't in a mechanical suit or a walker. They absorb a portion of the high-strength/high energy weapons, which has the added bonus of making the weapons less effective on them. A weapon with an AP of 1 or 2 suffer -1 Strength when firing at a unit with Thermal Energy Induction, and suffers a further -1 if it has the Melta or Gets Hot! rule. Bigger units with high toughness will be harder to kill with lascannons, meltaguns, bright lances, and plasma weapons will be harder to kill, but say you have a T3 blob getting shot, any of these weapons will still wound it on a 2+. These weapons can overload them with energy, and as such they're not totally immune.

Units wise: A free-floating Solarian/blob of Solarians has more wounds, while an armored Solarian has a good armor save and access to better weapons. The basic weapon used is a sort of discharge where the Solarian shunts waste energy into a short-ranged attack, while armored Solarians can make use of genuine guns and swords and what-not. HQs could be a big elite blob-type thing, a blob in a fancy high-tech walker, and maybe a psychic blob? I guess anything would a mind could have psychic powers, so a psychic blob could work. Elites would be groups of elite blobs, groups of solarians in mechanical suits that act like heavy infantry (think blob marines), and small groups of light walkers. Fast attack could be jump armor (assault blob marines? maybe) and speed-oriented walkers. Heavy support could be heavy gun-toting walkers and big mutant blobs.

In essence:
    HQ
    Big Blob Leader
    Elite Blob Walker
    Big Psychic Blob

Troops
    Small Blobs
    Light Armored Individuals
    Medium Armored Individuals

Elites
    Medium Blobs
    Heavy Armored Blobs
    Light Blob Walkers

Fast Attack
    Jumping/Fleeting Medium Armored Blobs
    Jumping/Fleeting Heavy Armored Blobs
    Fast Mutant Blob (I have the name "Solar Fiend" stuck in my head)
    High-Speed Support Blob Walkers

Heavy Support
    Giant Mutant Blob Monster (Blobzilla?)
    Heavy Gun Blob Walker

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by Atlas; 8th Aug 10 at 3:24 AM.

Remember that there are only 4 C'Tan left and they are the overlords of the Necrons. Also be careful with taking backstory off other races.
    There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Have a read of Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson, which features amongst other things an alien life form which lives insides stars. A lot of his ideas are well thought out and might be able to give you some pointers.

Sorry for the over-quoting, I've read the rules properly now!

I think we can safely ditch the carbon-based life approach, even in plasma or crystalline form of some sort it just doesn't add up, even with the little to no understanding of physics I have! I think Silica is the way to go, thanks foxfyre! Also I'll check out the Silicoids, this is the first I've heard of them they sound interesting!
    Some more ideas I had (writing this before I read all the replies, sorry if I'm using anyone elses ideas here)
    I can't envision them living in cities as we'd know them, there's not much point in having roofs and walls for a start. Perhaps they have some unique crystalline cell structure that allows them to float in the photosphere, using helium and hydrogen to stay afloat. I think the most 'likely' way for them to evolve is through freak electromagnetic patterns in starspots, the basic building blocks then bombarded with radiation causing myriad mutations.
    Does Silica remain in a solid state in the photosphere of a star? If so I can see a basic skeletal structure that would also be suited to the climate of an average sufficiently warm climate planet. Another possibility would be for them to evolve on White dwarfs, but as the temperature drops below say a thousand kelvins they have to move on, usually finding the closest star and somehow speeding up its evolution past the supergiant phase. Which I'm sure any neighbouring planets wouldn't be too happy about! Besides I'm sure GW would love any reference to a White Dwarf! The gravity on a white dwarf would no doubt mean any creatures that lived there were enormously strong, and their short lifespan would take away the need for millions of years of evolution.

Some other possibilities, let me know what you think:
    They were created by a C'Tan, a 5th survivor unknown to the Eldar laughing God, who either was able to disguise himself or was so far away as to be deemed unthreatening to the Eldar Craftworlds. He/ She creates beings in their own image, building an army and plotting revenge. This would be controversial, but opens up a lot of possibilities particualry in terms oftravelling between stars, and motivation for attack.
    The beings are of basic intelligence, and essentially blind. They are attracted to planets mistakenly thinking they are stars because of their radioactive signatures (ie they delve straight into nuclear warzones). Firing rockets/ plasma guns/ flamethrowers/ orbital bombardments etc only entices them further. Although they are not predatorial (they absorb heat for energy) they are of basic intelligence and a cannibalistic nature, and therefore drawn to battle like a moth to a flame. They see all colors of the spectrum, as well as thermal and ultraviolet but their vision is based on movement. This is radical but perhaps they have a complete opposite of the normal morale rules. ie if you start shooting them they get enraged rather than frightened, but in their rage leave themselves vulnerable as they rush the enemy.

I like the idea of a version of the necrons, if GW approved. Here's a possible scenario

A long time ago in a star system far far away, a now long dead C'Tan God began to build an army to destroy the old ones. Before he could finish however he was killed by the Eldar Laughing God. Left to their own devices, the beings evolved and grew in power and numbers, multiplying rapidly. They travelled between Stars on the diaphonous wings given to them by their creator in his own image, and soon came across an inhabited solar system. Although they had evolved some sentience, they were beings of War, created to fight and kill. Some long lost primal memory reminded them of the Eldar, and they felt the lust for revenge.

If they were created by a C'Tan, they would be similar to the necrons in many ways, but without the influence of the necrontyr.

Brazen Attention Who-- MooFreaky's Avatar
    Sorry for the over-quoting, I've read the rules properly now!
    No problems, matey. We've all been there!

Here is the numbers system for the race, i'm still working on the language itself.

Click Here (I can't get the image working)

Just to say. It wasn't the C'Tan that were at war with the Old Ones. The Necrontyr were. They were jealous because they had near immortal lives. They discovered the C'Tan (Sun Gods) who gave them immortal bodies for a terrible cost. Their free-will. The C'Tan were waging war against all life. Not just the Old Ones. The newly-formed Necrons killed the Old Ones.
    You could say that the C'tan that was the God of the Solarians was seperated from the others, or thought it was the only one and discovered the Solarians and then the story picks up at your bit.

I would love to be able to use the C'Tan, but it might annoy some fans. The ideal scenario would be a C'Tan tricked the Solarians (I really need a better name already!) into believing he was their Sun God, and used them to wage war. Alternatively a C'Tan created the Solarians, which might make them appear very similar to Necrons. The more canon-friendly version is he died a long time ago however, and they seek revenge for his death, or indeed they still have the primal urge for destruction and death given to them by their creator.

I am interested in writing a Codex for them if anyone is interested, at least a rough version.

You could quite easily have the Deceiver trundle past them and trick them, it being his nature and all.
    Steam: Supernaut (with the pic of the spy achievement)
    GFWL: Supernaut1432
    http://whileishouldbeworking.wordpress.com - Just a blog.

Yes thats the ideal. I'm leaving it open though, GW or Necron fanboys might not like the idea so its just an official theory of their creation. I'm writing it up on the 40k fan wiki

Thread Information