Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

DoW3 Speculation Station

DoW3 Speculation Station

Danny Bilson may have let the cat out of the bag by announcing the plans for DoW3 and a timetable for its release.

Here's the raw quotes:

Eurogamer: When are we going to see Dawn of War III?

Danny Bilson: Retribution's going to ship in February, and then we start laying out Dawn of War III. You can probably expect it between 18 months and two years after that.

It may be a more digital free-to-play experience with all the depth and quality of a Relic RTS.

Company of Heroes Online is another thing we're showing at gamescom, because we're going to be bringing that to North America and Europe very soon in the fall.

We're taking company of Heroes, and we've added all kinds of things to it. It's now going to be launched as a free-to-play micro-transaction, where you don't have to buy anything. It's just time versus investment.

You can play the heck out of it and unlock and earn certain things. But at the same time, we'll be selling little pieces. Little bits of the game to enhance your game online. Leaderboards, you can have an avatar and a screen that shows how you're doing in the game.

We've invested years in bringing this to free-to-play, and a lot of money to make it a cool free-to-play. I haven't seen everything in the world, but it has to be the biggest budget, biggest blockbuster free-to-play game that's gone that way yet. It's coming this fall, and I think winter in Europe.

Eurogamer: So Dawn of War III may be like Company of Heroes Online, then?

Danny Bilson: Could be. It all depends on how COHO does, and how it works and how people respond to it. If they do that would definitely drive us to... Now Dawn of War III, either way, is going to have a much larger strategic component to it, more of a global battle going on with little tactical things, sort of MMO-like.

I'm just giving you a lot of preview. We haven't announced anything about it, and it's still in its early formative stage, but I'm just talking to you about the brainstorming going on around it. I'm excited about it. I'm a big fan of that, obviously.
    With Retribution hitting shelves in March, that puts DoW3 somewhere in the 4th Quarter of 2012 or 1st Q of 2013.

Will it adopt a CoHO pricing strategy? Will it be Supreme Commander meets WH40k? Will it mean persistent online theatres of battle that move and change as people play?

Who knows. However, keep all DoW3 discussion in this thread.
    Semi-Retired

2. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #2
    A forgettable little corner of southwestern Kentucky
    For the record, "DoW3 Speculation" in the title means that this thread is for the discussion of Dawn of War 3 ONLY.
    I has a Blurb. And one of those Tweeter things.
    Quote Originally Posted by roflmao
    I'd run with a shotgun to go hijack a private airplane and fly to Belgium. Nothing interesting ever happens in Belgium, so there's definitely no zombie apocalypse there.

Supreme Commander meets WH40k = BEST RTS EFFAH
    (Read Supreme commander scale and map zoom + supreme commander high popcap + all the playable races of Dow1+its expansions = my biggest dream)
    THY WILL SEE THE LIGHT

The lead designer of DoWII should be caught by the Imperial Inquisition! Burn the heretic!

Veteran Assault Terminator Makenshi's Avatar
    I didn't like Supreme Comander at all; installed, tried, uninstalled and sold it.

But I think I could learn to like that kinda game in a 40k setting, I don't know...

For me, DoW3 should be like a mix of DoW 1 (scale, listening points, melee for locking ranged units instead of slaughtering them) with DoW 2 (awesome graphics, no base building, improved cover system).

Spoiler

5. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #5
    Foxtrot Uniform Ifitmovesnukeit's Avatar
    I like base building, but I found Supcom's handling of it tedious in the extreme- not least because I seemed to spend half my damn time building millions of power plants.

I still feel it was a bit of a stretch calling DoW2 "Dawn of War". Too many things changed, imo.

However, it did get a number of things right too. It sounded fantastic, the voice acting was brilliant both in terms of quality and the number of context-sensitive phrases, and it looked damn good in both raw quality and 'depth'- those huge waterfalls, and the long drops in those hab spires.

I would certainly like to keep the above in a Dawn of War 3. But my wishlist would also include:

Decent army painter

The only thing Dawn of War 2 added was metal colours, but it was one step forward and several back. It also reduced the amount of colourable areas, took away custom badges + banners (not that even the banners we were allowed to use appeared much since ingame units no longer planted flags) and greatly reduced the available colours.

My dream army painter would contain many more colourable areas, bring back the badges + banners, not artificially limit the colour selection, and add things such as a custom commander name, custom wargear for units (want an army of beaky marines? Or an army of randomised marine helmets? Can do!), and the ability to colour based on status- for example, the ultramarines of old had white helmets for veterans, red for sergeants, and red with a white stripe for veteran sergeants.

Of course, these are just 'ideals' for me (especially that last one!).

Nicer graphics

I'm not just talking about raw quality here, although of course that's always welcome. Perhaps DoW3 will upgrade essence with Dx11 technology. The only things I can really gripe about graphics-wise in DoW2 are the ridiculous "blood geysers" that spray out of sync-killed units (sure blood is good, but having it power-hose like that just looks fake) and the fact the physics has never seemed quite right- from walls turning into dust when a dreadnought touches them to ragdolls seeming to be caught in slow-motion, these could be improved.

Tweaked campaign

I quite liked what Relic did with DoW2's campaign, notwithstanding the common knowledge gripes about the random grind missions. It was very Chaos Gate with its style of obtaining unique weapons and wargear to equip.

My only thoughts would be a) it's difficult to care very much about the lives of soldiers who are either redshirt cannon fodder or essentially invincible sergeants, and b) I tend to prefer it when I can start with a bunch of soldiers who have little more than names to distinguish them who create their own stories of heroism and near-death as they go*, rather than being told "these are your sergeants with their backstories, like them!". Admittedly a lot harder to weave them into the story with my method though.

More strategy

This seems to be the way they're saying they will go, but to drive home my feelings- to me DoW2 is more of a special-ops tactical kill-team game than an RTS. It's all about catching the enemy with their pants down via your special abilities or flanking and forcing them to leave the objective unguarded. It just doesn't seem as 40k to me as DoW1- the Force Commander there sums it up pretty well- "No retreat, no surrender!". The amount of meat-grinding and bloody fighting that goes on in 2 pales in comparison to 1, and I would certainly like to see it return.

As an extension to this, ninja-capping of glowy radar dishes in order to win sums up for me what's wrong with DoW2 as a depiction of the average 40k battle.

That's probably enough to be getting on with for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more.
    The hour is nearly upon us. My brothers, our foes draw near, and we have but one duty to perform. Our honour as Blood Ravens, as the Emperor's own Adeptus Astartes, is at stake, and we fight in His holy name. Let our enemies cower in bitter despair before the shadow of death, borne unto them by our righteous fire and steel. We are blessed with the glorious certainty, that no man ever died for Him that died in vain.

6. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #6
    Squats?
    "Life is not full of successes, it is full of failures from which we learn" - Tony Benn
    Octopus Blog (14.02.10)DOW2 GridKeys
    DOW1 Modding Tutorial ListDOW2 Tactical Primer

I really hope they don't give the game away for free, I'd much rather pay £30.00~ for a good refined game.

I personally cant wait to see what little things they throw into this game. Its just a shame relic cant post some of its brain-storm'd ideas onto this forum so we could review and give feedback.

Meaning 24-7 coverage on my part - but its not going to happen

I do hope however that base building comes back into DOW3, perhaps a cross between DOW1 and 2; maybe even an entirely new direction. My biggest hope is that it features multi-race campaigns, whos strongholds and planets span a good section of the 40k universes; with all its battle barge, hive fleet and deployment from DOW2 and the giant armies, base building and maybe even meta style mapping from DOW1.

DOW1 + DOW2 = DOW3 (?) ------> A Game I Would Buy!

I shall purge them with both blade and Bolter! For the Emperor and Macragge!

free to play mmo style.

Dislike.

way too many of these fakes coming out of late and im not liking the trend.

they're not proper mmos! u might as well just make a normal game.

Unless of course they wish to change that trend of glorified 3d chat rooms.

Let's hope they keep the metagame, no base building... Basebuilding is just a timesink... Just increase the size of the maps and what sort of unit you can use...

It comes out around the same time as dark millenium. I'd jizz mah pants if they actually merged the 2 together.
    Also fuck this, im gona spend all my money on thq shit next year. Great.

Just imagine this scenario:
    You are leveling your scout to become a great space marine. Then you log off, log into dow3, and use your hero as a commander in a rts enviroment to for example for scouts:
    covert ops.

God i should stop brainstorming." Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment."

12. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #12
    Carach: I imagine it'd be more "Free-to-play, CoHO style." He stated that the decision of whether or not to take it that route would depend on how CoHO does. The only reason that he mentioned MMO's at all is the fact that different stuff goes on in different parts of an MMO world... meaning that DoW3 might go the route of having a large world/system/whatever full of battles and it wouldn't just be focused on the skirmish of whatever mission you're playing.

DoWIII to be subtitled "Sequels Eternal", you heard it here first.

Anywho, I'd love to see larger scale things like titans depicted (the smaller ones obviously) but I don't see how you would do that without losing a lot of tactics and/or a lot of personality. Supcom was neat in theory but in practice the best way to play it was way zoomed out so most of your units were depicted as little icons. Starcraft 2 does big battles with lots of splash (that is, lots of intricate death animations) but the actual tactics are fairly uninteresting, IMHO of OFC I'm not trying to Godwin the discussion here. What I think would be awesome is Dawn of War: Total War: Warhammer 40K: War, What Is it Good For: Absolutely Nothing. Big turn based strategic map, tactical real time battles.
    Add me on Steam - ArbitUH. Don't EVEN bother adding me on GFWL

Where's me squig ointment reference in my sig... oh

I've long liked the idea of WH40k MMO a bit like DOW2 SP but with larger scale and all races, commanders & units available. And not yet another FPS or RPG MMO (solo or small team/party). Replaying DOW1 DC recently & realised I don't miss basebuilding TBH Esp all the outbuildings

15. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #15
    From the Retribution thread, moved to here for great justice (and so that FooF doesn't hurt me)!

Quote Originally Posted by Autarch86
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorb
    Basically, the reaction to the THQ guy's interview is exactly why such people don't tend to give interviews.
    Yeah, he really blew it. Totally sucked the hype and anticipation from Retribution.
    Everyone's now talking about DOW3. I guess this why secretive developers like, Bioware, Blizzard or Valve never let their publisher or disturbers talk about their games.
    You completely misinterpreted what I said.

I meant everyone's reaction (i.e. the "ZOMG DOW II IS DEAD" and "ZOMG IT'S LIEK AN MMO FAIL LOL") is why such high-up personnel rarely give such candid interviews.

Because everyone automatically assumes the worst, the most far-fetched, and the downright idiotic scenarios to be confirmed as DA TWUTH.
    My blog! (updated 18/09/14: Why Java Ain't Bad)

I don't like the idea of a free-to-play MMO but since it's relic trying to innovate...
    I'd much rather have Dawn Of War 3:Apocalypse? (in tribute to the mode in Tabletop)
    Imagine a mode where you conqueror the Galaxy. Dark Crusade except with Planets!!!
    /Blood Angels fanboy

IM predicting that this DoW3 will be based on the 'Epic' scale WH40k.
    Much bigger armies, goes with the whole global idea that has been spoken of.

Funnily enough. people will get the huge armies they wanted for all these years and Id bet my last £ that those same people will complain.

My main desire is getting a lot more units on the screen at once. DOW2 was cute, with it's little squads and it's little force. But I don't want cute. I want WH40K. I don't want this game limited by trying to be shoehorned into the CoH engine.

If the fact that there's no cover system in "Space Marine" is because 'that goes against the whole feel of WH40K', then there should be no need to reuse CoH's cover system, which means there should be no reason to limit the squad size again.

If you can have unlimited reinforcements, then limiting the number of squads doesn't make sense either. A lot more SMs would have survived if I could have brought more down from the start.

In short, keep the wargear, but allow the entire squad to be customized (not just the Sgt.), use Chaos Rising's campaign and map design as your starting point, return the squad size cap to codex, remove the limit on the number of squads (or better yet, use the codex's force table), and feel free to do whatever you want regarding base building.
    Fac et Spera

So this a DoW 3 "Speculation" thread and not "wish-list"
    Makes it seem like the developers don't really take any idea from the crowd.

Anyways,

Better Single Player Campaign. Yes, I know you did really well in way with DoW 2 but I want it to be better. I know you can .
    I liked the Metamap of DoW 2 but I want all the territories we land on to mean something in the overall Storyline rather than some having some story while the rest being just plain old skirmishes to keep the infestation rate low.

Bring in more variety. Like with the Space Hulk. Have a huge Asteroid on a collision course and you are fighting above it to retrieve something before time runs out or a Craftworld on a collision course and you are fighting to get out before time runs out or something.

Get some other races in too. Rather than campaigns that you have to work fully on make small individual stories within that take place along with your main storyline but are from a different faction's POV. Then again don't just rehash a mission with a different race.
    Have more civilians running about. More miscellaneous items lying around.
    Have mutable landscapes.
    More dialogues not only in the SP but also when moving units around.
    More solid ending rather than varieties based on Choices. Give choices in how the game proceeds rather than how it ends. Make key SP aspects singular rather than player action based 9 Like who is the traitor etc )
    ( Not important but please at least 2 CG movies :P )

Well that is about it atm. :P

If you cannot associate it with Heavy Metal then it is not WarHammer

My WarHammer 40000 Music Video v.1

Again: Where does this whole "DOW meets SupCom" come from? What I'm getting from the quote above is that there will be a "global battle" - like an interactive MMO-like space map, achieved through "little tactical things" - actual gameplay.

Ifitmovesnuke it brings some very good ideas, especially the advanced Army Painter.

I hope there's no base building in DOW3. The only form I would like it in would be module add-ons for the HQ, that would unlock different tech routes and could be destroyed to de-tech.
    "All power demands sacrifice" - Sindri Myr

It's in the OP interview Malachi:

"Now Dawn of War III, either way, is going to have a much larger strategic component to it, more of a global battle going on with little tactical things, sort of MMO-like."

No one is assuming SupCom-style gameplay but it will be a larger theatre of battle than DoW1 or DoW2, at least that's how I interpret it.

This is the exact quote that I was interpreting in my last post into epic interactive map (as in, sectors/planets being battled over by factions, your concept from the other thread) -> small scale, tactical actual battles (you know, the essence of the DOW series?).

Might be wishful thinking on my part as well though, as I'd hate a SupCom-style DOW3. How in hell would you be able to see sync-kills when zoomed out?

There would be sync-kills...just between Titans...

But... where's the blood in that?

maybe some illegal polish red oil XD
    LSA|Eternal

IM predicting that this DoW3 will be based on the 'Epic' scale WH40k.
    Much bigger armies, goes with the whole global idea that has been spoken of.
    the trend for rts 'mmo-style' games so far has been just normal multiplayer but the results of the games being put into a bigger picture that lots of these normal multiplayer skirmishes contribute to..and thus the 'ownership' of some region changes..

so im doubting ur prediction unfortunately

28. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #28
    So this a DoW 3 "Speculation" thread and not "wish-list"
    Makes it seem like the developers don't really take any idea from the crowd
    Two things:

1) We're a fan forum. The devs are free to take ideas from us if they like, but since this isn't any sort of official forum there's no guarantee that they'll even see this thread.

2) Work on DoW3 hasn't even started yet. This thread exists so that people can toss about ideas on what they think might happen on a game that's still about 2 years away based on a few vague statements by someone who's a higher-up at THQ and not on the dev team at Relic. At this point, there's no real difference between speculation and wish lists, other than the fact that if we call it a "wish list" thread then everyone will start posting one-liners and the thread will die quicker.

On a side note, I agree with Malachi... I'd absolutely hate to see DoW3 take the route of SupCom (and the way that the statement was made, I don't think it'll head that way at all.) I only recently got SupCom during a THQ store sale, and I've played it exactly once; it was the most underwhelming game that I've played in a while and I'd hate to see the Dawn of War series venture into that level of boring gameplay and sucktastic "zoom out until you might as well be playing an ASCII game" camera style.

To be fair Croax, SupCom's learning curve is ridiculous and once you get the hang of things, it's a glorious thing to watch (though not so much play...?). A WH40k setting with a slightly smaller scale would be rather cool if they could make it less about getting your economy up and running and out-spamming the other guy. Somewhere between the complexity of the original SupCom and the well, simplicity, of the sequel.

I think the "global/more strategic" aim is probably geared more toward a persistent online experience rather than a giant map with hundreds of units. There are plenty of folks out there that would love to see WH40k at that scale, though, no doubt.

I personally would like to see a larger battlefield where things like Titans and Baneblades wouldn't feel out of place. DoW2 was intimate and DoW1 was at a slightly larger-scale but nowhere near what we would need for even a Warhound Titan to show up, let alone Emperor-Class.

Problem with such a scale is that it instantly begins to compete with the TT, which is why it may never happen.

right...it would still be fine with the current camera style or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Croaxleigh
    Two things:

1) We're a fan forum. The devs are free to take ideas from us if they like, but since this isn't any sort of official forum there's no guarantee that they'll even see this thread.

2) Work on DoW3 hasn't even started yet. This thread exists so that people can toss about ideas on what they think might happen on a game that's still about 2 years away based on a few vague statements by someone who's a higher-up at THQ and not on the dev team at Relic. At this point, there's no real difference between speculation and wish lists, other than the fact that if we call it a "wish list" thread then everyone will start posting one-liners and the thread will die quicker.
    I was just playing with the thread title :P

I for one wouldn't mind getting titans to move about at the Global level and have Capture objectives to help the Titan succeed kind of missions at the Map level.

32. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #32
    One thing I'd like to address is the speculation in regards to the development of DoW3 and whether it means that Retribution is the last expansion. Based on the timetable above, we're looking at almost a 2-year wait for DoW3 AFTER Retribution ships. Considering that work on DoW2 started while DC was being developed (and another expansion was made with minimal involvement from Relic after that), working on a new sequel doesn't preclude the development of a third expansion for DoW2. DoW had 4 expansions, CoH had 3, I don't necessarily see them doing 2 expansions for DoW2 and then leaving a 2-year gap before the next Dawn of War product ships.

(It should also be noted that in the Space Marine section Ruined has said that it's too early in the development cycle of that game to rule out co-op, which was spoken of as an absolute in the interview that mentioned DoW3; if that's the case, I would imagine that it's way too early to take the timeframe mentioned for DoW3 as gospel considering that it's nothing more than something that they plan to start working on next spring.)

Uhm DoW had 3 expansions not 4, that said yeah it's big gap but DoW III sounds like it's something huge. How many years have passed since the last expansion of CoH and CoHO(which isn't out yet)? And how many expansions have there been in that time period?

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the last expansion in DoW II.
    Pro-Skub, supporting the idea of new heroes for the Last Stand as DLC since 1967.
    Mod forum: SWR

34. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #34
    My bad, you're right. I was counting the original games in with the count for both.

As for DoW3 sounding "huge", I doubt that it will be any more "huge" than the development of DoW2... as I recall, the development period of DoW2 was actually a bit longer than what's been quoted for DoW3.

In regards to CoH and CoHO, you should remember that CoHO has been around for a while. It's just that they're finally porting it to the western market.

DoW as a Supreme-Commander style game would be like mixing rock with ice cream.

In my opinion, RTS games could be compared to "board games":

Dawn of War 2 is like chess. It depends on strategy, positioning, tactics, and the understanding of mechanics.

Supreme Commander is like Risk. Each unit as an individual is insignificant, and balances between tactics and simply outdoing your enemy.

Starcraft (And Starcraft 2) is like chess with a twist. Instead of actually playing the game, the two players pull some dirty trick from their sleeve and whoever's is the cheapest wins. IE: One pulls a knife and stabs the other's wrist. The other pulls out a gun and blows the opposite away.

Dawn of War, Warcraft 3, C&C and oh so many others are basically mentally handicapped chess. Instead of playing, the two players fire the chess pieces at each other with reckless abandon, and whoever falters even slightly is overwhelmed and beaten.

Dawn of War 2 is unlike anything I've ever played. Personally, I'd much rather see more expansions for the game, then have them risk it with change, and potentially ruin a good game. An old saying comes to mind: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

A huge Risk-stlye mmo-metamap with all the races would be so beyond awesome. The problem is how do you let us ahem... less than proficient players join in the fun without ruining the game for everyone else.

I'm super bummed though at all the cool races we'll apparently never see in DOW II though. I hope we don't reset to the "big 4 (or 5)" in DOW III.

They could do a sort of hybrid between DoW2 and Supreme Commander.

Basically you would have a supreme commander sized map with DoW2 style environments around resource and strategic points. Units that fit into the DoW2 scale could be rapidly transported to these areas via deep striking, drop pods or teleportation etc. You could set up a forward HQ like in DoW2 that summons the smaller DoW2 units but it has the similar population cap limitations.

Back at your primary base you can build titans, landraiders and hordes of infantry but these must travel across the map to get anywhere.

Opening gameplay would be similar to DoW2 as players try and grab resources with small mobile forces but the battle continuously escalates as more units and larger units gradually travel into the battle rather than just crashing into the population cap and map limits of DoW2.

When I think I would have to wait for 10 damn minutes till my raging band of Khorne Berzerkers finally runs up to the oponent to start hacking, I feel a bit dead inside.

I liked SupCom for what it was and I could spend hours on planning, building and assulting but that kind of game would never go well with a Dawn of War name that was (more or less) always very dynamic.

Although, I'm almost sure we will be controling titans in DOW3. Think about it this way. DOW1 was a middle ground, we had small IG pipsqueaks getting trampled by huge as hell Squigots, then DOW2 tried something new and made the battles smaller scale. I'm 100% sure we can count on Relic to try something new yet again and make it huge... just not SupCom-boringly-huge >.<
    My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Akagi_Ryu/
    Ruined:FYI on the bug fixing front a Steam patch can be applied in a matter of hours, most of which involve making coffee, chatting about the latest season of Survivor and pressing the upload button.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmapdi
    I hope we don't reset to the "big 4 (or 5)" in DOW III.
    Well they probably will only have 4 race to begin with like with every dawn of war game so far because balancing all the races is very difficult and leaves no room for interesting expansion packs where a new race is introduced.

with regards to the supcom vs dow debate:

it would perhaps be more prudent to put a new name to a supcom-style wh40k game.

but then again, they changed dow2 a lot from the first so...

i personally would love an epic style version. the ai would have to be extremely good though (u wont be able to micro a thousand marines with any ease...) and as others have said, the economy would probably be a no go.

One of the main things i cant stand about rts' after supcom's release was the lack of camera view. zooming out to the fullscale map strategic view seamlessly is a god-send. it has irritated me ever since that other games have not followed suit. (the age-old problem of being too limited..cant see all my units! whats that shooting me from just off screen?! etc etc lol)

I definately think DOW3 should go more global with the campaign consisting of all races in DOW series, set in a Starmap style W40K Universe. A Truly 10/10 epic Grand Finale for DOW IMO.

Personally this is what I think we'll see/ hope I'll see happen when it comes to Dawn of War 3.

Persistency

Firstly, who are we kidding. Relic already has plans for Dawn of War 3 and it certainly doesn't hinge on whether Company of Heroes online does good or not in North America. It all has to do with THQ trying to secure some more permanent revenue streams in this day and day, the best way to do that is to get your customers to keep paying for content. How are they going to do that with Dawn of War 3, well it comes down to Persistency.

Forget about Single player as that will only be there to serve as a tutorial on what to expect when it comes to the multiplayer game as they'll be pushing Dawn of War 3 as a more multiplayer focused title. Players will intern select one of the races to play (I'm thinking about 6 at launch) from there they start of with a fairly basic selection of standard units. Players are able to level up their accounts and in turn unlock new units, abilities and weapons for their armies enabling them to customise their forces to suit their ideals and play styles. As your army fights, your troops in turn get better at fighting, and this plays into the persistency part of the game, so instead of having to rebuild your entire army each game, you call on units as you need them / when you can.

It will be free to play

Why will it be free to play? Well, that is because free to play games can lure players into pay for more content then they would normal pay for a full retail game. For Dawn of War 3, Relic & THQ could charge players not for units, but for different armour types to help build that sense of a truly customised force. For example, if you were playing Space Marines, you could by a addon that makes it so your Space Marine army is wearing a different pattern of armour. Perhaps after that you eye those cool beaky helmets, which you also buy. Then what about buying things that normal players can already unlock? Or what about account boosts to make your account level faster?

Free to play type games are catching on, and whether people think they are bad or not is irrelevant, as it's the gamers that ultimately part with cash that they see as good value for money. If you plan on spending the next 6 months leveling up your Space Marine army, you might see spending $15-$30 on making it look exactly the way you want it, with the equipment you want good value.

That's how the free to play system works, but offering products that the customer (you) decide whether or not is of value to buy. If the game has a massive life cycle, say 4-5 years of investment with a free to play model, you can make up the returns fairly quickly by providing content that customers will actually pay $5 for.

Wherever the enemys of The Emperor hide; I will be there to smite them.
    @Akrandas:

A good way to tailor armys does sound really cool. I would love to be able to field some proper Black Templars in all their knightly glory instead of just a paint scheme.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

DX11 ...... tesselator.... why not :P
    I love Warhammer

/me facepalms.

Oh,Relic,please larger scale,more controllable units,less action and more strategy in DoW3。

Well they probably will only have 4 race to begin with like with every dawn of war game so far because balancing all the races is very difficult and leaves no room for interesting expansion packs where a new race is introduced.
    Well I don't expect them to launch with 14 races or whatever - I'd just like them to pick a different set of races than SM, Orks, Eldar, Chaos, IG for the first five. Pick two of those, and then let some of the lesser seen races get in on the fight.

Well SM is a given - they're like the trademark of Warhammer.

But I want to see the less seen races in on it too. But that said if you're going to pick two pick IG god dammit!

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand the line and die fighting. It is we do best. We die standing." -General Sturnn, 412 Cadian

SupCom is just as brilliant as DoW1 and DoW2 in its own way. I wouldn't have any problems with DoW3 being such a massive game. The "war of dots"-complaint is ridiculous once you have actually played the game: you have to constantly switch between zoomed in and zoomed out views. I'll happily take on anyone who just keeps on playing in strategic view, you'll lose, period.

The biggest valid complaints about SupCom are the eco focus and the fact it's just robots fighting. Both complaints can be fixed by implementing the fight for strategic spots (although Forged Alliance did pretty much the same by making mexes much more important) and swapping robot factions for true, atmospheric Warhammer 40k races. With a real grand scale like that it's gonna be awesome: dropships, planes, real artillery, naval warfare, huge armies, Titans, ... just drool you know. Would be like a wet dream.

SupCom, FA and SupCom 2 weren't perfect of course. I think the best solution would be to take a middle road between Forged Alliance and SupCom 2. And keep the giganto-maps. Like GPG is doing now for Kings and Castles.
    Last edited by SwiftRanger; 22nd Aug 10 at 11:58 PM.

Forget about Single player as that will only be there to serve as a tutorial on what to expect when it comes to the multiplayer game as they'll be pushing Dawn of War 3 as a more multiplayer focused title. Players will intern select one of the races to play.
    God, i hope not, i hate games that just focus only on their multiplayer component and think people will be satisfied. Not all of us spends our time in MP. Also with CR ,Relics already seem to be improving their SP experience.Having a well scripted and solid campaign,their definitely moving in the right direction. It would be step back for them to dump all that progress in SP and make it just tutorials-like missions for MP.

Plus if anything , Starcraft 2 showed that SP is still important as MP in strategy games. Hell maybe Relic could try to top Starcraft 2 SP campaign in term of story and innovation.
    Last edited by Autarch86; 23rd Aug 10 at 5:20 AM.
    Warlock: Never have I encountered such an obstinate species. The Orks are victims of their nature but these humans are willfully persistent and blind. How they survived...
    Farseer Taldeer: Is a joke the universe shares with no one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information