Vajello Paints

Vajello Paints

Hi all, im thinking about switching to Vajello paints and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on using them. While people say you should add water to the Citadel paints ive never found the need to, but as ive never used Vajello before is this a must with them? Another thing ive noticed is that unlike Citadel i will most likely have to squeeze some of the paint out, anything else?

Thanks for any replies.
    Beware The Shadows.

I only have experience with VMC, so that's what I'm talking about here.
    Depends - I generally don't need to add much water to them, but I use a wet palette (VERY USEFUL!). On a wet palette a lot of the Vallejo paints stay fresh for a few days (YMMV). They're more 'powdery' in finish that GW paints - they use a less rubbery binding agent. The reds in particular are nice, as are the greys.
    They do settle, so you need to shake the crap out of them. Then just put a drop on your palette, you'll find a little goes a long way.
    Now taking commissions! PM me for information.
    Vote for my stuff on CMON: http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/winterdyne
    Check out my blog: http://winterdyne.blogspot.com/
    Follow on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/winterdynecommissionmodelling/

I was only planning on using Model Colours, never tried wet palettes, i just use X amount straight from the source. Good to hear their reds are good, ive always found Blood Red going gooey too quickly. How easily do they spread on models? I sometimes find im having to keep going back for more paint.

They're not opaque; they blend really easily and spread smoothly. Make a wet pallette (tub, sponge, baking parchment). I use GW foundations for basecolours (except greys / reds) then use the VMC to blend highlights on the top.

i agree with winter about most of it. i still use gw paints (easier to follow the guides that way)
    but i have a large number of VMC and a couple VGC's that i use. the only thing i would watch out for is the bottle tip splits and chunks up if you dont use them often. this could be a big hassle to unclog so theres that.
    they are dead useful when mixing a color on a palette with the dropper head but i tend to only do that with minis that i want to thin out to begin with.

oh and this might come into use and be helpful (it helps me from time to time)
    paint chart reference
    Last edited by COG; 23rd Nov 10 at 9:09 PM. Reason: adding a paint compatibility chart
    Accepting commissions. PM me!
    My Cmon

Heh ive got that link from elsewhere, quite useful. Ive orderd a load of VMCs from one of the UK sellers, the homepage for Vajello had 3 websites for the UK and only one of them seemed worth looking at. Due to 2 or 3 of the colours i wanted not being done by the VMC range ive ordered some of the VGC paints. How different are they from VMC?

Kinda on a side note, but is there actually a vajello paint or is it the vallejo. First time I heard this was not that long ago on a Beast of War painting video and the guy kept calling it vajello (vah-gel-oh) and I was thinking what an idiot, its vallejo (vah-lay-ho). Then I started thinking, this guys in the industry, how can he make such a mistake. So over in the UK or wherever is there a vajello? Don't mean to offend if it was a simple spelling mistake, but I was just curious.

He could be dyslexic. A lot of arty people are.

Edit: Or he could have a moron-level sense of humour. I do.

I find the VMC a bit thick straight out of the bottle. I used to use 100% water but found that the separation was kind of a problem. I made a mix of Water/thinner/alcohol and use that to thin the paints.

I find the VMC paint chart to be invaluable. This is the chart with the actual paints, painted on in small strips, not the web page.

Sometimes, I find the VGC is a bit easier to work with because it is very thin and the coverage is still excellent. The VMC paints are more work to get going.

Oh yeah, VMC 'foundation white' is teh awesome.

Thread Information