Unable to log in to Games for Windows Live after changing Windows Live ID

Unable to log in to Games for Windows Live after changing Windows Live ID

My problem is, I am unable to connect to Games for Windows Live.
    The game had been running fine up until a few weeks ago.

A short time ago, I decided to reorganize my online IDs and changed my Windows Live ID from the one registered in Dawn of War 2 to another email account that I used more often.

Since then, whenever I tried to log in to Games for Windows Live in Dawn of War 2, I instantly get a "email or password is not valid" error popup. I have to add, when I enter my ID in the logon window, it correctly adds my password.
    But if I log on to Games for Windows Live (which turned into Games for Windows Live Marketplace these days)it accepts my current Windows Live ID.
    Is there any place DoW2 stores the GfWL ID information, so I can purge it?

I've even tried backing up, then removing and reinstalling the game to no avail. At this point, the only thing I haven't tried yet is removing my Windows Live profile from this computer. Since I have a number of things attached to that profile on this machine, I would rather not do that until I'm sure it's necessary and won't cause any additional problems.

As much as I liked this game. It's been bad enough that I rarely get to play it bacause I'm rarely able to log onto Steam at all. Add this problem as well? I just might abandon this game at this rate.
    Please help me solve this problem.
    Blow them them up, blow them to bits!

How do you know that it "correctly adds your password"? Have you tried typing it manually? You will also need to list your operating system version, to determine the location of your GFWL data. Your Windows Live and GFWL user data are stored in two different places, and are completely separate from the install of the game. DOW2 doesn't store your GFWL ID information, it communicates with GFWL which handles storage and retrieval.

Also I haven't had an issue with logging into Steam for years, so I'm not sure how you are rarely able to log in. I would suggest checking their support pages.

Lastly please follow the instructions from the sticky thread: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

I'm running WIndows 7 64-bit.
    When I enter my Windows Live ID, it automatically adds my password and won't let me change it. It has the correct number of characters and wasn't changed after I changed my ID, so I'm hoping it's still correct.

Your XLive data is here: C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XLive

I would try moving that entire XLive folder somewhere else, then starting DOW2, and relogging in/redownloading your profile.

That seems to have worked!
    It accepted my current ID but asked me for my product key, which turned out to be my multiplayer key and not the install code I expected. I can play the game again.

Great to hear!

Thread Information