[Retribution Beta]GFX settings locked down to low(update)

[Retribution Beta]GFX settings locked down to low(update)

Hello, I've ran into a peculiar problem in the Retribution beta, something that I haven't seen anyone else share about so far.

I used to be able to run DoW2 vanilla/Chaos Rising on medium/high settings with decent enough performance, but in this beta it forces my gfx- settings to stay on low. Everyone of my friends started out with high settings (some with a computer similar to mine) and can play it like so, so this really troubles me

specs:

Vista 64-bit OS
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz
    HD4850 512mb
    8GB DDR2 800mhz

UPDATE: It seems that the problem has spread to my other DoW2- games. I just booted up Chaos Rising and the same issue arises.

Also added in dxdiag and warning.txt.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Inskipp; 4th Feb 11 at 9:39 AM.

Did you post this issue on the official forums as well? I see you included the relevant logs in this post, so now I have a better idea of what is going on.
    18:31:20.10 VIDEO -- Graphics Card Memory [244 MB] Texture Memory Available [224 MB].
    The video card is reporting far less memory than it really has. Can you make sure you are running the latest AMD drivers? If you are (please check the site before saying you are running the latest, they update frequently) then try the second-most-recent version. It might be a driver bug where it is reporting video memory incorrectly. Thanks.

I had this problem too, have an ATI 4830 that was running Cat 11.1
    I believe the Cat 11.1 drivers that are the problem.

I re-installed the Cat 10.12 driver and now my setting are back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulse.r View Post
    Did you post this issue on the official forums as well? I see you included the relevant logs in this post, so now I have a better idea of what is going on.
    18:31:20.10 VIDEO -- Graphics Card Memory [244 MB] Texture Memory Available [224 MB].
    The video card is reporting far less memory than it really has. Can you make sure you are running the latest AMD drivers? If you are (please check the site before saying you are running the latest, they update frequently) then try the second-most-recent version. It might be a driver bug where it is reporting video memory incorrectly. Thanks.
    Yeah I posted on the official DoW2- forums as well, but it didn't let me attach any files for some reason, so I wasn't able to include them there.

I seem to be running 10.10 Catalyst drivers, and it seems that it wont let me update my drivers now

I download the latest drivers (11.1), install it, and reboot. It claims that the install was a success, but it still shows that my Catalyst version is 10.10 . I even tried installing 10.12 drivers and the same issue arises.

Trying to google this issue but can't discern anything useful so far.

Inskipp: You can paste logs to pastebin.com and then provide links to get around posting files to the official forums. Also, have you tried uninstalling all listed AMD drivers, rebooting, and then installing a particular version?

Also, have you tried uninstalling all listed AMD drivers, rebooting, and then installing a particular version?
    Yes I have, uninstalled my current driver, rebooted, used driver sweeper to remove all the previous ones, rebooted again, then proceeded to install 11.1, following another reboot. And it still claims to be version 10.10

Bump, still haven't been able to resolve this problem. I updated to a newer driver (11.2), with no problem at all. Yet still I cant put gfx settings above low/medium :/

Bump, I just recently formatted my computer, and upgraded to W7. Still getting the same issue :/

Is there anyway to force the graphics, so that I can ignore this "cap"?

Can you check your BIOS settings for anything that could be related to that amount of video memory? Since your dxdiag also shows the low amount, it is likely you will experience this issue in other games. There is no way to ignore the cap - the game is asking the operating system for the amount of RAM, so if it just goes ahead ignoring the amount reported, it will likely just be denied access to memory beyond the reported amount. (ie: crash)

I didn't find anything that refers to video memory on my BIOS- settings Are there any specific settings I should be keeping an eye out for?

Can you post updated versions if your dxdiag output and warnings.txt? Also, does your catalyst control center display the correct amount? Are you running any tools/applications that came with the card?

I have included an updated version of the dxdiag and warnings.txt.

Yes, CCC is reporting the correct amount of memory.

No, I'm not running any tools/applications that came with the card.
    Attached Files

I had the same issue. My system was only registering that I had about half of the card's actual video memory. To fix it I installed the 10.9 display drivers. What I did was uninstall catalyst and then I downloaded the old display drivers. Make sure you install the old display drivers along with catalyst as the version of catalyst is independent to the display drivers, as at one point I had 10.9 catalyst but the 11.2 display drivers which did not work.

You probably don't need to go as far back as 10.9, but I forgot which version of the drivers I had before I updated.

Thread Information