Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Electronic Music

Electronic Music

So i cant be the only person here who loves to listen to electronic music () whether it be Drum n' Bass, Dubstep, Trance, House, Techno, etc...

I particularly love Dubstep for its unique sort of electronic drops and sudden silences and sounds and DnB for its heavier sort of metaly yet electronic sound.

What are some of your guys favorite songs/ artists in this genre? Feel free to post some links to songs too! I love hearing new songs (and im sure others do too )

To start here are a few of my current favorites;
    Lines in Wax - Flux Pavillion (One of the best Dubstep songs i think i've ever heard)

Witchcraft - Pendulum (best band in the world by the way )

The Island Pt.1 &2 - Pendulum

The Tempest - Pendulum (All time favorite song)

Hey Sexy Lady - Isquare (Skrillex Remix) (One of the best Dub drops ever @1:20?!)

So what are some of yours? I have more i will post later but i want to give others a chance to put some up as well

I used to love love love DnB and Electro etc. but i can't get pilled up off my tits anymore (damn having to grow up after my gap yah) and as such it does not quite have the allure it used to on a night out (I prefer getting pished to more mainstream dance or going to indie/rock clubs), it is STILL the best music to aggressively bonk to however, if the neighbours can take it

I prefer things a little darker than Pendulum who really ruin it with the rather whinny vocals which just serves to remind you that its not some gigantic tuetonic uberman blasting out beats but some 8 stone lanky shitebag which spoils the homoerotic illusion for me. Apart from Techno Viking off course.

This is pretty much the greatest DnB/Progressive track ever if you like your music to scare you a little bit along your trip:

What's your take on Garage and Grime etc.? Which is what I war really really into at boarding school. I think I was the only white public school boy at a Oxide and Neutrino concert in the mid 90s... luckily this was pre the handgun ban so I think I was the only person who actually had one (albiet on the school pistol range). Today as much as I enjoy going to Fabric and MofS I really think a late 20s oxbridge toff is pushing his welcome at times...

Though as for Garage, I really think the genre is a part of the House/DnB/Electro school rather than the yank HipHop it gets rolled with today.

e.g.

and from todays rather splendid resurgence

3. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #3
    I've recently been listening to a fair amount of burial who creates this wonderful atmospheric electronic music;

I'd also love new bbc sound of 2011 darling who has a new album out soon, his stuff sounds great if totally removed from any danceyness really, but a huge dubstep like low end and really cut up music, tis odd

http://spinningplatesmusic.blogspot.com/ - My Blog
    "The book of love has music in it, in fact that's where music comes from, some of it is just transcendental, some of it is just really dumb"

Tir that was like.... indie dubstep. Sort of giving me flashbacks to what happened to Kosheen, which was a dreadful waste, typical of the BBC to get there and call it the next big thing 7 years late.

Now if the guy could do a florence and the machine style belt out after the drop it would be great, but it just stays far too James Blunt insipid all the way through.

5. Forum Subscriber  #5
    My big issue with Electronic' music is that its used in many different genres.
    You have people like the Pet Shop Boys using it in pop and Prodigy using it in Alt-Rock. through to Eric Serra using it in...Erm...whatever his stuff is!

One album that comes to mind is Aglaia - Three organic Experiences

Not a big band and hardly anyone knows who they are. But very good none the less.

Another band...More trance/ambient than anything....Biosphere

Their stuff can be a bit samey. But its great chill-out music.
    OMG...I have a sig. And its crap.

All hail the Cephalopod Supreme Leader!

When it comes to electronic music, I'm normally not too enthused. There is, however, one guy who produces electronic music I really like - Vangelis.

This is the most relaxing song I've ever heard. When combined with those clips, it becomes absolutely beautiful.
    Me... I Am OhJohnNo! The Perspicuous Prestidigitator

Let's sail in this sea of charms
    Let's drown underneath the stars

I listen to a lot of conventional trance, so I'm kinda boring I guess.

I guess Airbase and Alphazone are kind of representative of the kind of music I like.

And, if it's OK to post youtube vids that in all fairness are somewhat in a gray area regarding legality (typically tolerated by some labels/artists - I think the ones I link to are OK):

Quote Originally Posted by 4Servant
    The key with tau fw spam is not to micro or to predict anything just stand still and do nothing.

8. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #8
    Mr Carrot ouch! ouch!

Think Blake sounds more like Jeff Buckley than James Blunt heh...think the simplicity and the repetitiveness of the lyrics avoids any of that singer songwriter faux pas and just sort of moves it to something more abstract, he released a bunch of EPs last year which are almost entirely instrumental though or at least wordless, so you could try those out.

I havent had a chance to listen to most of the songs you guys posted yet (As im in class ) But,
    @Carrot, Main Stream dance music is also very good. Id probably throw it after Dub and DnB as my favorite types of Electronic music. And ya, Pendulum does have some 'whiny vocals' at times, but i find their instrumental parts to be great to listen too, and it works with their voices very well. As for grunge/ grime, i have no problems with it, and prefer it to actual hip/hop or rap since there is a good tune to it instead of something that constantly repeats and is typically very basic.

@Kalamain, thats the beauty of Electronic music though, it can span over different genre's to appeal to everyone.

A few other songs;
    Ghosts n' Stuff - Deadmau5 ft. Rob Swire

Flow (Live Street Performance) - DubFX ft. Woodnote (DubFX is amazing, also check out Made and Love Someone by him)

Lord of the Dance - Chris Clark

10. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #10
    that DubFX live performance is great!

11. Forum Subscriber  #11
    Many people think that electronic music has no 'soul'. I have a few friends that feel this way. Has anyone come across this?
    When people play instruments they can put emotions into it while electronic music forces you to put YOUR emotions into the music you hear.
    (I should point out that I do not agree with this)

One other thing with SOME electronic bands is the visual aspect of their live pieces. I can remember seeing Kraftwerk live sometime in the late 90's and being AMAZED at what I saw. much better all round entertainment than a few of the other kinds of bands I had seen where its just a group of people on stage.

Don't get me wrong. The music is why I am there. But backing up good music with a good showpiece just makes everything.....Better.
    Last edited by Kalamain; 18th Jan 11 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added in the fact that disagree with the statement at the top of my post

12. Child's Play Donor  #12
    Big fan of Pendulum but they already have attention so I'll refrain from posting more. I will however, post some Prodigy and Deadmau5 (Who Bowkers introduced me to funnily enough.. )

This track is a favourite of mine (from Deadmau5 at least) with the brilliant 'Ghosts 'n' stuff' already having been posted above.

'All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, and man is at last compelled with sober senses, his real conditions in life, and his relations with his kind.'

I wish my name was Peter. Innonexess's Avatar
    Oh Emm geeee. I'm really like the kinda music coming out of the Burial, Mount Kimbie and James Blake camp at the moment. Obviously Burial hasn't released anything in a while, but on Mary Anne Hobbes' last show on radio one, there where definate hints of a new one!
    On the james blake note, make sure you listen to Limit to your love with a very loud sub. Hearing it on cruddy computer speakers dosn't even slightly do it justice.

This was easily my favourite dubstep track of last year:

It's probably the best marriage of all this 'Brostep' going around whilst still retaining the proper (as i see it) elements of dubstep that make it so brooding.

Easily my favourite Dubstep remix of last year, I'd strongly advise you check out the original version too.

Whilst i've liked a lot of Deadmau5' older stuff outside of the actual heavily played realeses from 4x4=12, like Some Chords and Animal Rights, i can't say much for the rest of the tracks. =/

(I have no clue how to embed)
    AHAH!

Ta Tir!
    Last edited by Innonexess; 18th Jan 11 at 3:04 PM.

DAMMIT! Now I'm gonna have to download a new internet!

14. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #14
    Innonexess use [video] tags round a link to the vid, rather than embed

15. Forum Subscriber  #15
    What happened to the links?
    Use the video code

<video>youtube address</video>

But with [ ]

16. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #16
    kalamain yeah I kinda associated electronic music with either cheesy dance music, and with something icy and cold (even if good) like perhaps Aphex Twin (though I'm sure people will debate that). Radiohead's Kid A rather killed that notion for me buy bringing in that element into music I was otherwise familiar with

Many people think that electronic music has no 'soul'. I have a few friends that feel this way. Has anyone come across this?
    When people play instruments they can put emotions into it while electronic music forces you to put YOUR emotions into the music you hear.
    (I should point out that I do not agree with this)
    I have a bunch of friends that don't understand the music by itself, rather they need someone singing to spell it out for them. I'm really quite opposite to that, I've never bothered listening exactly to what people sing and instead only listen to singing as one sound element (among others). Instead, I subconsciously interpret harmony, rhythm and timbres, which makes the music 'alive' for me.

Also, some people are rather narrowminded (I've heard statements such as "if there's no eletronic guitar the music sucks").

Goddamnit Lok i think you've got me addicted to Pendulum.

I'm a regular listener of Nightwish, Tarot, Hammerfall and Adagio goddamnit.

The atmosphere is bloody addictive to me. I think I'm hooked.
    There we were, ready to charge the loyalist scum, and then suddenly we were under fire from our west flank. Batshit mental. We turn to return fire, and somehow they sneaked a bunker in, right next to us! We didn't have any meltas so we got the hell out of there. CREEEEED!

I believe that since the electronic music soundscape is so vast, assertions such as "I like electronic music" or "I dislike electronic music" have become essentially meaningless.
    For example, there is very little in common between the following two tracks:

comparison

Of course, given the scope of the genre, there is a lot of truly inspired material in any style of electronica.

Although trance is often accused of being derivative and simplistic, there are some excellent tracks from lesser-know artists. Psychedelic trance in particular is very interesting. I am sure many people are familiar with Juno Reactor but artists like Infected Mushroom and S.U.N. Project deserve a special mention as well.

Trance

I am absolutely in love with drum & bass and the various trends within it. It's a genre that displays it's numerous influences proudly and is constantly moving forward. If you are interested, Hospital Records has an excellent podcast that features a lot of good releases. There is also BBC's Fabio and Grooverider programme.

Drum & Bass

Finally, downtempo electronica (trip hop and so on) is one of the most original and varied genres. It is probably the most accessible as well so it is often the one introduced to people who claim that they "don't like electronic music". I've linked enough videos in this post already, however do yourself a favour and listen to Portishead's 1998 live performance in New York City.

Trip Hop

P.S.
    That DubFX video was amazing! Thanks for sharing, mate.
    “To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily.
    Not to dare is to lose oneself.”

- Soren Kierkegaard

Something that I have been thinking about since the inception of this thread, games are actually at the cutting edge of electronic music and always have been. Obviously the system in question (pc) has a lot to do with it but ever since Orbital got stuck into Wipeout on the PS I think there is an element of if not mainstreamism but at least being inline with trends. The opposite of game orchestral scores, which might superlative in the case of Halo, COD and particularly Elfman's Fable score but can hardly be said to be on the leading edge of the format.

So I present three of the most awesome game electronica tracks, two of which have been in my experience played in a commercial club or rave setting:

SS2 command A which is just a fantastic industrial triphop track and one of the greatest game soundtrack elements of all time:

Now a personal fave and one I feel just has fun but plays within the conventions of electronica soundtracks, which were all the rage in film during the 80s and early 90s:

I probably would have agreed with you, Carrot, had Tron: Legacy not recently come out.

I think that just supports my argument, though the music is largely unrelated to the original score it does channel a number of the great synth scores of the 80s (Vangelis anyone....).

It is a superb score which fits the video game theme.

I'm not trying to argue that video games haven't had great electronic scores, but Tron: Legacy is a film (no matter how much it references games) and has a better electronic soundtrack than any video game's I've heard.

Shall we focus on trends then

(Damn you daft punk! Damn you!)

I'm not trying to argue that video games haven't had great electronic scores, but Tron: Legacy is a film (no matter how much it references games) and has a better electronic soundtrack than any video game's I've heard.
    Out of curiosity, have you played any of the Wipeout titles or the original Crackdown on the Xbox 360?

No, actually. Are they really that good?

27. General Discussions Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #27
    Oppressive Forces of Titty n0z3k1ll3r's Avatar
    Have to say, for all that that Tron: Legacy track is cool and all I still prefer the Deus Ex one.
    Let's Play Europa Universalis 3: Divine Wind
    Let's Play Master of Magic: Abandoned
    In the beginning there was nothing. Then Steam crashed.

28. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #28
    The Deus Ex theme music always reminded me of the X-men cartoon theme music...

maybe rather spoiled it

You bell end Tir!

I had to listen to Yahtzee's version with lyrics to get over that comparison, you almost ruined it!

You know what my favorite thing in the world is? When i have a long response and then accidentally load up the last video im wanting to upload in the same screen ive written it all in and losing it all >.<

But....

I finally got around to listening to nearly everything that was posted here, and i must say, there are some very good songs Im loving Innocence by Nero, whos almost always phenomenal (hoping to see Nero and Skrillex in Toronto in a few weeks ), and Ecape from Airbase was quite good. I was also quite surprised from the song from SUN project, im not usually a huge fan on Trance, but that song was awesome.

@Chaingun, thats essentially how i view singing in songs. I take it as a whole and 'look' at it in terms of how well it fits with the entire song as a whole and judge it from that instead of based on the lyrics themselves.

@Kalamain, I have a few friends like that too... electronic music defiantly has soul. Its not super easy to create a good song, and you have to have a pretty damn good ear to know what works well and doesnt. One cannot just walk into a studio (almost wrote mordor >.<) and produce a great dubstep song, or any song for that matter, without putting effort or soul into it.

As for electronic music in games... eh... im not a huge fan of it, and i guess its just the games i play but i dont tend to actually hear electronic music in games... I find orchestrated music gets the mood across better. But that could be me, as i tend to feel a more emotional connection/ response to orchestrated music then any other genre and i find it tends to work better for story telling. Although they're are exceptions (Tron for instance)

Now for Moar songs!
    Heart Beat - Chase and Status ft. Nneka

Stinkfinger - Doctor P and Flux Pavillion

The Walk Mt. Eden Remix (Mt. Eden is so good, check out 'Escape
    ' and Mirage as well from them)

Introducting Overwerk- Overwerk (Extended version; http://soundcloud.com/overwerk/intro...erk-with-intro )

@Lok, never heard that overwerk tune, quite a banger! I also just heard that DubFX song. I think he may be better than beardyman to be honest...
    I used to really like Mt. Eden, especially his more basic style, but after i downloaded his album, i started to find it all very same-y with not much difference from one song to the next. It may be because it was the first one i heard, but i think Sierra leone is his/their best one to date.
    I was actually arguing with someone on Saturday about that nneka tune, as much as i love the Chase and status version, i find the original to be much better. Which is odd for me, because that version is much more rocky :P

Liquid Drum and bass is something you really like, or hate i think, simply because a lot of drum and bass types just listen to it for the drop, similar to what dubstep seems to be turning into.
    Kamo and Crooked:

Non Drop-heavy dubstep:

Been getting into dubstep recently, especially the really filthy "hard" stuff that has a lot of industrial overtones, and lo and behold, what do I come across but a remix involving samples from Meshuggah, one of my favourite metal acts. Meshuggah is an experimental/extreme metal band from sweden who mainly write polymetric groove stuff (but really really heavy). They're quite talented, both technically and in terms of songwriting and arrangement, but this really blew my mind when I realized how well they meshed into a different genre of music and concurrent production style:

and then, this remix of a more recent Meshuggah tune:

Just deadly.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

33. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member  #33
    Ooo.. that bleed remix is pretty sweet!

I was about to go straight into dubstep hating mode in this thread but its clear i've not been going to the right clubs. I have a few friends who are deep into dubstep(among them Mir Crew, one of the better DnB collectives in Stockholm, might wanna check them out if you like DnB) but everything i heard from the DJs struck me as booooring. Not the stuff in this thread though!

The only electronic music i've been getting more heavily involved in lately is Breakcore, mostly because me and a friend found a breakcore club that is actually worth going to. Its a fun crowd, mostly geeks and music nerds, and they always bring in the best DJs. Such as:

Sickboy, a classic:

Cardopusher, one of the founders of the genre:

So on and so forth.. i tend to go for songs like that, 'happy' breakcore though if you want there's alot darker stuff too, i just don't find it as danceable. Anyway, to finish this off, an electronic music thread with no Kraftwerk song yet?! Come on ppl... ;]

Go se kraftwerk live if you have the chance! It's a true experience. If you don't get the chance buy the Minimum/Maximum live album, its without a doubt on of the top 10 best live albums out there.

Socrates: To be is to do.
    Sartre: To do is to be.
    Sinatra: Do be do be do.

34. Child's Play Donor Forum Subscriber  #34
    ok I just got back from a flux pavilion rave they destroyed it, it was awesome.

will write a massive post on my love of dubstep and dnb but will leave you with the heart of dubstep for me

Doctor P - Gargoyle

http://www.google.com/m?client=ms-an...20p%20gargoyal

35. Technical Help Senior Member  #35
    I live off electronic/dance/trance/dn'b and dare I say I dabble with a good dubstep now and again. You only need to look at my iPod collection confirms this.

I have to say though, big respect seeing you guys posting up some Deadmau5 stuff. I missed out on seeing him at the Coventry Ricoh Arena last December so I'm still sore about that. Strobe is still one of my favs, however Ghosts n' Stuff is great, along with I Remember which was pretty much my tune of '08.

I feel I should leave you guys with a bit of halcyon before I go. Lousy youtube compression aside, this really is one of those mood changer songs for me. I cant get enough of it and I'm surprised I'm not completely bored of it yet since its been played frequently to say the least. Its probably not the kind of song that most of you guys will love judging by whats been posted before, but it stands out to me as a perfect example of electronica genre. Or failing that, an example of a great remix of an a decent song. Listen away.

@Titlams, Flux Pavilion is amazing, i can bet that they were phenominal to see live.

Glitch Mob - Animus Vox (Drink the Sea, from them is probably one of my favorite Electronic Albums ever, its spectacular)

Cracks - Flux Pavilion Remix

This thread lacks house-dance hall crossover.

NSFW if your workmates know what whining 'pon di floor' and daggering is...

38. General Discussions Senior Member  #38
    Can't stop listening to this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zudbz4hOcbc

Netsky - Secret Agent

Im going to throw some more Pendulum on here simply because I loving their music and am seeing them live tonight at a club
    Propane Nightmares

Hold your Colour

Immunize [Ft. Liam Howlett from the Prodigy]

Lucky you :P

How were they live?

I saw Pendulum, Chase and Status, and - most importantly - THE PRODIGY live at the Bowl in Milton Keynes. All of them were genuinely awesome! All worth seeing.

On the subject of Chase and Status, I just bought their new album No More Idols today and it's truly awesome. Featuring the likes of Plan B, Mali, Tempa T, Tinie Tempah, Ceelo Green, White Lies and Sub Focus, it's well worth a listen. It's less Drum 'n' Bass-ey, and more electronica-ish; just as a word of warning!
    Last edited by Pegman; 3rd Feb 11 at 2:16 PM.

Light travels faster than sound - this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Path to Victory: Moddb page || RN Forums thread

NinjaYearbook!

Im not sure it's because i've listened to their last one so much, but i feel More than Alot was better. But i reckon it's just because No More Idols hasn't matured yet, having only listened to it 3 or 4 times.

Anyone else feel like this?

To be honest, with classics like Eastern Jam, Smash TV and Pieces, it might just be rose tinted glasses. And in all fairness, No More Idols has already produced 4 or 5 absolute bangers (see: Each release off the album so far.).

I agree, if I'm honest. IMO, Chase and Status are generally excellent, so both albums are truly good listening. Having listened to More Than Alot straight after No More Idols, I think I prefer More Than Alot too. I think, while No More Idols has produced more particularly good songs in number, overall More Than Alot is just a better, more rounded album.

Rose-tinted glasses could be a factor, but still, I'd have to say No More Idols is a great album!

@DA, it was awesome, my ears are still ringing like mad, and im sore all over They essentially played all their more heavy DnB stuff from both the older albums and immersion (so none of the more mainstream electronic songs) To give you an idea of it (this was taken from it, i was actually in the second 'line' of people so had one of the best views in the house haha)

you can even see one of the guys who was videoing it who was next to me in this video at a distance

@Pegman, thats awesome, i really want to see the Prodigy live, i love their stuff too. Sadly they start playing with LP in their tour before i get to see them. But as a result i get to see Pendulum again on Tuesday when they preform with LP (which im not at all complaining about)

Im personally now really excited to see Nero and Skrillex in a few weeks and then hopefully Rusko in March. Now Deadmau5 just has to do another show somewhere here in Toronto (i had to work last time he came - who chooses boxing day to do a show?!?! )

And ill have to check out those two Chase and Status albums, ive only ever heard a few select songs from them and have loved them all.

45. Space Marine Senior Member Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #45

Love Chase N Status. Brings back memories and are just always in my head.

I have started listening to Hadouken relatively recently. I have loved them ever since

The Byrd is awesome.

On how I got involved in this music. I saw Pendulum live in first year and went to a nightclub called Reflex in Brighton. Which played it. So I was converted.

I'm going through a massive phase of this music at the moment, so this thread is awesome. Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Pouk
    I'm not looking for what might happen after the Bowkers come to see this thread...
    A Lannister always pays his debt

46. Technical Help Senior Member  #46
    Buzzing off Chase N Status at the moment too. I do thank you for posting 'Blind Faith' Bowks, its a song I've been trying to track down for the past few weeks but couldn't find!
    And on the subject, heres some end credits.

Also, just listening to this at the minute so thought I'd throw it out there. Snap - Rhythm is a Dancer (Moam Remix). Takes a while to get into it, but I'm sure you lads wont mind what with the eye candy. Pretty lady indeeed.

On the subject of hadouken, proper classic grindie (if that's possible);

What do you people use as your sources of electronic music? For me, i think i only really listen to EDM, so radio one's Friday night podcasts are probably where i get most of my music from. I've also recently began reading Pitchfork, and that's were i've learnt about Mount Kimbie and James Blake from (the latter's album is also out on monday, which i amd greatly looking forward to).

Just listened to End Credits, i must say i really liked that song. Also Harry Brown is an amazing movie if you havent seen it.

And Innonexess, Radio One has a podcast? Ill have to check that out as i dont get Radio One on the Radio to my knowledge
    As for what i use to find music;
    1) http://soundcloud.com/ Good for listening to specific songs if the artist has an account (I listen to Whole-Z, Skrillex, Hyper Crush Mixes, Overwerk and Robotic Pirate Monkeys stuff from there)
    2) http://www.dastankbank.com/ Random Dubstep/DnB/ Electro&House songs are posted there daily so its great for listening to artists you may or may not have heard of.
    3) 2 Friends who send me links/ tell me to go look up songs

@Lok; Stream/download that shizz. Well that's only if you're really keen, i just tend to listen to Annie Mac's shows' repeats due to the eclectic nature of the show.
    Also, now Skream and Benga have a show every second thursday of the month, i get my dubstep from there, where i previously did watch/listen to getdarker.tv
    Soundcloud does seem to be slowly becoming the way forward with so many artists adopting it and even giving away tracks on it. Love that.

To be honest, I wasn't particularly impressed with Nero's 'Me & You' but these two remixes are excellent for completely different reasons:

You & Me remixes

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information