Retribution Imperial Guard Campaign Discussion - CONTAINS SPOILERS

1. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #1
    A forgettable little corner of southwestern Kentucky

Retribution Imperial Guard Campaign Discussion - CONTAINS SPOILERS

This thread is designed for the free discussion of the Imperial Guard campaign. Spoiler tags are not required, since every post would have to have them. If you don't want the campaign story spoiled, DO NOT READ THIS THREAD.
    I has a Blurb. And one of those Tweeter things.
    Quote Originally Posted by roflmao
    I'd run with a shotgun to go hijack a private airplane and fly to Belgium. Nothing interesting ever happens in Belgium, so there's definitely no zombie apocalypse there.

2. General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #2
    Holy crap, Gabriel Angelos dies?! Is there any way to save him or is he fated to die? I fear that it's the latter...

In Soviet Russia, forums moderate YOU!

3. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member  #3
    For the First Time in Forever Buguba's Avatar
    He died in the Tyranid campaign too. His death was so abrupt that I didn't really think it had happened at first. One moment he's pwning Deamons, the next moment Maledictus says "KTIEM2DYE" slaps him into the dirt. Then that's it; he's toast. No glorious showdown, no epic death speech, no last words, just *BAM* you're dead!
    "You must be swift as the coursing river, with all the force of a great typhoon, with all the strength of a raging fire, mysterious as the dark side of the moon."

Yeah that was kind of surprising(and anticlimatic), Jonah also dies, and... Boreale lost like 3 companies, a shit load died in Kronus and Aurelia, probably the entire first company so are we to assume that the Blood Ravens really are dead? That's it? Game Over? It'd be kind of disappointing if they really took their god damned secrets to the grave. The IG outro was pretty boring imo, just Castor and Merrick having their usual banter and Adrastia going "hurp i'll take Kyras's librarian hood to the Ordo Malleus and tell them to stop bombing the shit out of the sector" i guess i must hurry and finish the SM campaign, although i dread to fight Kyras again, god that fight was boring, Ulkair 2 right there.
    Pro-Skub, supporting the idea of new heroes for the Last Stand as DLC since 1967.
    Mod forum: SWR

5. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #5
    AFAIK Angelos is recovered by someone (Diomedes?)?
    My blog! (updated 18/09/14: Why Java Ain't Bad)

Gorb:

Spoiler

Imperial Guard

Well i gotta say i thought the campaign for the IG was pretty ace. Would've liked to have heard some dialogue from Lord Commissar Bern though because i think there was a lot of potential to add colour to the storyline with that character :'(
    Was glad that the inquisitor had a honour guard of stormtroopers, those guys were heaps more fun to use imo.

The Guard campaign was ridiculously easy towards the endgame, between getting your men killed for resources then using the generals reinforce ability for free reinforcements (in effect making additional resources), and Level 10 Commisar pretty much making your men super buffed and invincible with execute with maxed out stamina and will. After reading some review about how the IG's stuff is so weak...it's kind of funny to see how their end-game is one of the easier ones.

PS fun note, if you "execute" one of your men who are invinci-buffed by a commissar's earlier execute, the "executed" dude doesn't actually die = )

9. Child's Play Donor Dawn of War Senior Member  #9
    although i dread to fight Kyras again, god that fight was boring, Ulkair 2 right there.
    The Ulkair fight didn't involve 6 Vanquisher Cannon Leman Russes and a Baneblade unloading on the bastard. That was an awesome sight: Baneblade front and center, two Leman Russ just behind on his flanks (thanks to their longer range), two more spread out on each side, Castor standing front and center with his godly plasma gun like a boss.

Would someone be willing to shed some light on governer derosa?
    Is she present in this new expansion?

*Chick from the first 2 games*

Does she play any major roles in the story?

She plays no role at all, and never appears in the game, it is assumed that she dies during the course of Retribution, specifically when the traitor guard assault Capitol Spire

Final boss was easy. By the time you get to him you should have a pop cap of over 100 and enough req/energy to mass Storm Troopers with Meltas. Plus I have this level 10 purple plasma gun that raped Chaos Marines. It could, and often did, one shot squads of 3.

Loved Merkic(spelling?). Character and skill wise he was awesome.

I ran in with Tank Spam + Baneblade + Vanquisher turret. Surprisingly, my lone guardsmen squad made it through the fight. Couldn't say the same for the stormtroopers though.

14. Forum Subscriber  #14
    That certain plasma gun is a beast... destroying squads for the fun of it, while firing on the move!

Merrick complains alot when you give him orders, but i found that it suited him just fine. His character plays well off the Lord General - and again in the final cutscene.
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopus Rex
    Wow, looks like the Steam servers have been fully relocated to Derpastan

I agree that the final mission was pretty easy. My Lord General could call in Leman Russ tanks faster than the fat demon dude could destroy them (it was on Hard though, might be different on Very Hard). Plus, I had Merric spam that call-artillery-on-flares ability with the call-in-artillery autocannon. Seeing the daemon getting pelted by barrage after barrage of artillery shells was glorious. So glorious that my two melee heroes couldn't approach Kyras without being massacred by a deluge of steel.

The Ork ending is still the best ending though.

Veteran Assault Terminator Makenshi's Avatar
    Could anyone advice against (or favorably) building Merick with Defense 0/Offense 5/Energy 5 ? Seems to be the best way, but Jury Rigging looks atractive for a Leman Russ based build (general with offense 5).

Should I go for 3-5-2/3-2-5, or stick with 0-5-5 ?

17. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #17
    I went 0-5-5 personally, the Remote Detonation of Doom and Lol is highly amusing.

Same here.

19. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #19
    I mean, think about it. Is the Stamina tree needed for him? Let's break it down.

1. It provides some much needed health. But he has Infiltration, which scales with the Energy tree.

2. Top-end Offense Trait is godly. Thus, maxing Offense is required (and it makes sense, given that he's primarily a damage-dealer).

3. He's based around Infiltration and amusing explosive abilities. Abilities now cost Energy. Thus, you should definitely invest points in the Energy. Exactly how much is up to you, however each additional Energy Trait increases his damage and survivability, while Stamina focuses on survivability.

That's not to say you won't have success with a Stamina/Offense-based loadout, merely justifying my choice of 0/5/5

0/5/5 it is, then

Between Castor having that insane plasma gun (Tiger something) that just rips apart Chaos Marines and Merrick having that ridiculous autocannon that stuns, knocksback, and summons artillery, the last mission was a cakewalk on hard. The inquisitor and the commissar where pretty much there for the ride.
    "I have come to destroy you."

I went for Stamina - Offensive builds for pretty much everyone. Gave Merick the Tiger's Gaze and Castor had the fabulous purple melta. Bernn and Andrastia were the buffer with some equipment that buffed armour and damage of nearby allies. Last mission was pretty "get BB and enough LRes to embarrass the battle of Kursk and roll over them" 130 pop cap iirc.

I refuse to believe Elena Derosa died! Actually - a Chaos Gate style "limited resources" bonus campaign where Thaddeus and/or loyalist guardsmen try to save her would be rather awesome.
    That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Tonight I just realized how powerful a guardsman mass (10 squads) under Execute can be, Stormtroopers got nothing on them. Comissar with Fist of Vahalla + Melta Bomb + Rosarius is epic, no walker vehicle or turret is safe!

I refuse to believe Elena Derosa died! Actually - a Chaos Gate style "limited resources" bonus campaign where Thaddeus and/or loyalist guardsmen try to save her would be rather awesome.
    I dig this idea man! Let everyone put this on their signs, so Relic doesn't miss it and take heed. Maybe we'd start a "Save Derosa" petition/campaign?
    Last edited by Makenshi; 12th Mar 11 at 8:34 PM.

Yup. Guardsman spam is the proper way to do things. By the time of the Exterminatus mission, I stopped giving attack orders. Just executed, healed, and reinforced as needed, order the manmass to move past the target location, everything melted by the time half of them reach it.

Merric's artillery trait was pwerty and fun, but relatively useless compared to the variant the Ancient had IMO. Too long set up, he (and the army behind him) killed everything with the autocannon by the time 2nd flare was flying in.

Merrick's artillery is way more fun is he's close to Bernn with the 4th energy trait and a mass of guardsman; the flares recharge FAST, allowing more than 4 to be deployed in sequence, allowing what can be describe as "steel rain" or "death from above". The enemy, however, calls it "INCOMING!" and "HIT THE DECK!".

I'm eager to get to the last mission, where the pop cap goes past 100; I will surely fill it with GM. 15~17 squads? And that's with heroes, not with honor guard! Damn, I won't even get flamers: it's gonna be "HALT! LASGUN TIME!"

Plasmaguns are so much better on mass guardsman spam. They literally melt everything that way - infantry, vehicles, buildings.

To be honest, I was very pissed off when i didn't hear or see Dersoa anywhere in campaign, as soon i hit Merdian i thought Dersoa was going to pop up asking for help or just giving info on the situation. However nothing zip nada. That angers me in a bad way. You can't just kill her off so quietly not like that, not even a mention she died there, they didn't even mention that. Not even a one line sentence of come guards going " hur hur hur we killed the bitch hur". Whats up with that..
    No qaurter back men, only forward or we will hold this line forever!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Row Row Row Fight the Powha

I am sure Reric had epic plans to tie up all loose threads up to this point in individualized campaigns for every race. They just ran out of money.

Well for the last mission I just sent in the lord general and he stood there all by himself taking down more damage then the baneblade while the commissar, two leman russes and merrick stood their keeping the flanking bloodcrushers away from him and the baneblade

I was confused about Lord Brenn. Honestly I don't recall him saying much of anything, if anything at all. Silent beyond the voice commands when you moved him around. What was his role in all this?

In regards to Gabriel Angelos, I'd imagine there was overlap between the Space Marine and Imperial Guard campaigns anyways. Angelos was probably extracted out anyways- I'm pretty sure during the in-game "ending", not the cutscene, that I saw some Blood Ravens running around so they probably took him away.

Beyond that I found things nice. Castor fit into his role perfectly and Merrick was a personal favorite of mine. Though I guess I was wondering where Derosa went, but I suppose we'll have to settle that she bit the bullet when the traitor guard took the capitol.

The commissar does not talk. He is the 3rd wheel. I did notice that, during the lord general and sergeant's confrontation on the Judgement of Carrion, the lord commissar is pointing his pistol at the sergeant's head. That's all he does. Imperial players are lucky anyway, chaos had 2 mute heroes. I would feel sorry for nids too but, well, they're nids.
    I liked the gameplay though. I had commissar for melee, general for support and sergeant running with his lascannon. The inquisitor was left behind because I don't think she's very good.

Overall, I'm enjoying Retribution's gameplay but the story is quite disappointing. I'm still looking for a mod to return sync kill frequency to chaos rising levels.

32. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #32
    Sync kills in Single Player were unaffected.

I was talking about a mod for the skirmish, though I still think sync kill frequency has been lessened in single player.

34. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #34
    Nope. Not been touched at all; all my guys have been merrily performing sync kills with reckless abandon.

And a mod for the skirmish would break online compatibility, as well as not being the purpose of this thread.

I know that it would break online compatibility, and I also know that it's not the purpose of this thread. I don't play online, so you all can argue about balance or whatever, I just want sync kills. Commanders do them with about the same frequency but I never see melee sync kills like I did in chaos rising.

So, is the invulnerability from the commissar's execute a bug or intended? It's so broken I'm not sure which. Also, I'm not sure whether to give the sergeant a plasma gun or a lascannon since I use him as anti vehicle.

Did anyone else leave the inquisitor behind and take her honor guard? She seems to be the most useless hero that I've seen in all the campaigns personally, although I might be using her incorrectly.

Hey, is it just me, or does the lord general's 4th offensive trait also affect tanks? I had leman russ vanquishers shooting about once a second with that...

It affects everything. His Turret is a plasma machine gun with it.

Fastest way to kill Kyras: fill the pop cap with melta stormtroopers after you get the last bastion near his crater, leave your heroes (except general, who will heal'em/reinforce'em/speed up their attacks) guarding the side gate. I tried GM spam there and it was not as effective due to Kyras abusing the summoning pilars.

Leman Russ spam can be effective as well, but bloodcrushers will often destroy some of them (no space for kitting), which is not epic.

Has anyone got any recommendations for the Lord General's traits? I was thinking about either maxing out his offence to get the Leman Russ air drop or maxing out his energy to get the Leman Russ turrets. Any advice?
    Terrified of Nerd Rage.

I put in all the upgrades required to buff up my guardsmen squads to have all the leaders (vox, sergeant, commissar), and then concentrated on Health so he can get the trait to be immune to suppression.

By the way, is it just me or did I find it badass when Merrick kicks Castor to the ground?
    Where's the Bloody Taanks!!??

Loved the dialogue when they encounter the hive lord at the end of the 1st mission.

Lord General: "A magnificent specimen, don't you agree?"
    Inquisitor: "You admire the horror?"
    Lord General: "Indeed. Its head will go nicely in my trophy collection. Aim low."

Did anyone have any problems with the first mission on Meridian? Right at the beginning of the mission, when the enemy leader pulls back the first Leman Russ you encounter, the game goes to cutscene - the Leman Russ is supposed to move, but it does nothing. The cutscene just plays ad nauseum, with a constant barrage of fire from both sides. The Leman Russ continues firing, but that's it. Enemy IG continue to come out of the passage, and they get shot, and they die, but the cutscene hangs and remains.

Figured I'd ask here.

43. Child's Play Donor Dawn of War Senior Member  #43
    Sounds like the move order to the Leman got borked. I haven't seen that in any of my campaign runs, including the IG run, but you should be able to clear it up by just restarting the level. You don't lose anything and you'll get to keep the XP for the handful of units you killed.

Thread Information