World Builder not doing anything

World Builder not doing anything

I don't really know how to describe the situation, but when I use the World Builder it opens fine, and then I can't create a new file... It starts an "Open" window and wants me to locate a "Mod project file (*.sgb)". Everything else works just fine ingame, and I do have a few mods that work fine as well. I've never been able to use World Builder and I'm getting a bit frustrated at this simple problem.

I had bought the CoH Anthology and the game is patched to 2.601.

Here is a picture of what happens when I click File > New Singleplayer Map.

Picture

2. Technical Help Senior Member  #2
    You will probably get a better answer from the modding-minded folks over in the Maps Bunker.
    So on that note, moving this over there.

3. Forum Subscriber  #3
    seems like your worldbuilder works just fine but its a little cryptic iĀ“ll give you that.
    write the name of the new map you want to create in the "file name" box, them click "open", a new window will open where you can set the map size and the playable area, when thats done click "ok" and wait, it takes some time for worldbuilder to create the map.

I have the same exact problem - but no matter what i type into the filename box and click on open - nothing happens! It says the mod directory cannot be found.

tap dancin on a land mine (midwest U.S.A)
    Just a quick question to Nobody. You made a map quite awhile ago called snow tracks I never have been able to dl it.would you be able to throw it up here again?Just askin salute

6. Forum Subscriber  #6
    bangalor#
    yeah, unfortunately most of my maps were uploaded to filefront, so all the links are broke now, i made a fresh one on mediafire.
    snowtracks.sga

Deathdealer and exodia#
    After you have typed your mapname and clicked "open", be patient, WB isnt that fast.
    The correct folder are; Documents/mygames/company of heroes/WW2/Data/Scenarios/MP
    Attached Images
    Last edited by nobody; 25th Mar 11 at 3:43 AM.

tap dancin on a land mine (midwest U.S.A)
    hey thanks nobody.that is really cool. You definently make some awesome maps st vith being one of my favorites

This is what comes up in the debug window when i try to make a new map.

21:49:34.87 MOD -- Locating MOD for scenario 'C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\My Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes\ww2\Data\Scenarios\SP\NewScenario.sgb'
    21:49:35.00 MOD -- Failed to find the MOD directory!
    21:49:35.00 MOD -- Failed to locate MOD!
    21:49:35.00 MOD -- Shutting down

9. Forum Subscriber  #9
    you might have a path problem, are you running any mods ?
    Try this pipeline.ini file and insert the mods that might solve it. CopernicusĀ“s fix

Well i downloaded that pipeline.ini file and put it in documents/my games/company of heroes and that didnt fix anything - it still gives the same thing in the debug window.

There are no mods installed.

This all started when i downloaded corsix mod studio - before i did, world builder worked just fine. I had it open and tried to create a new map - wich i did using a tutorial in the how to's and i managed to play around with it for a bit before closing it - i didnt save anything.

11. Forum Subscriber  #11
    Well, you obviously broke something, but corsix modtool wont do that just by being open while you work in WB.
    And i can see you are trying to open a SP map... those are campaing maps, do you get the error when trying to open a MP map ?

*facepalm*
    Thanks for the help, worked just fine. Why they have it say "open" is confusing but whatever. Thanks!

I appreciate you trying to help me

Here is what i get if i try a new MP map

00:50:39.60 MOD -- Locating MOD for scenario 'C:\Documents and Settings\xxx\My Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes\ww2\Data\Scenarios\MP\NewScenario.sgb'
    00:50:39.60 MOD -- Failed to find the MOD directory!
    00:50:39.60 MOD -- Failed to locate MOD!
    00:50:39.60 MOD -- Shutting down

Same exact thing.

All i did was extract the best(the map best from the campaign) folder with corsix. And now nothing works.

All i wanted to do was check out the best map to see how they did it cuz i think its a cool map and i wantd to make one of my own only with fallschirmjager instead of paratroopers falling all around.
    Last edited by DeathDealer987; 28th Mar 11 at 12:58 AM.

"D:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Company of Heroes\WW2\data\scenarios\mp"
    Try this directory :-)

Mystic

OMG thank you Mystic!!

But - ok now i am really confused - that directory didn't even exist until i created it just now - and this fixed the problem - i can now create a new map.

And everything i have read says that map files should be in my documents - this makes absolutely no sense to me.

So - now that i can create a new map - why can't i open a map in worldbuilder - i am assuming that where i have my files is the incorrect spot so where exactly should they be?

I've fought some of these battles in the past.

Well i downloaded that pipeline.ini file and put it in documents/my games/company of heroes
    First, AFAIK pipeline.ini belongs in your COH installation directory not the maps folder. I'm assuming when you said this:

that directory didn't even exist until i created it just now
    That you meant that COH is installed in D:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Company of Heroes\ but the ending "\WW2\data\scenarios\mp" did not exist and that's what you created.

If that assumption is correct and you didn't create the whole path then your pipeline.ini should be in:

D:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Company of Heroes\

And everything i have read says that map files should be in my documents - this makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Maps you make with VCOH world builder should be in that my documents folder but that does not apply to mods. The maps for a mod (either supplied by the creator or extracted with ModStudio) will be in <COH>\<Mod_Name>\Data\scenarios\sp and <COH>\<Mod_Name>\Data\scenarios\mp.

If you're working with a proper mod with correct pipeline.ini and .module paths set up then everything should work correctly.

Which leads me to the last point:

All i did was extract the best(the map best from the campaign) folder with corsix.
    Where did you find the extracted files when you did this?

That's where your maps will be loadable from. However, it sounds like you probably extracted the map from the stock COH installation. You really shouldn't do that. You should create a mod, open the mod with ModStudio, extract the maps, change the mod's version of the map, then play your mod.

Otherwise you risk corrupting your main COH installation.

Hope this all helps.
    "There's no explaination for why I survived and others didn't other than when your number is up its your time to go. So now, every morning when I get up - I change my number."

Unknown Pearl Harbor Survivor

Ok Jaffar thank you.

So i moved pipeline.ini into the THQ\Company of Heroes\ folder and i also moved my mod folders and files back into the same folder.

Now when i try to open a map i get File is not in any known projects.??

And what do you mean by change the mods version of the map? I obviously am still missing something here.

You're almost there.

File is not in any known projects?
    Means pipeline.ini doesn't know how to find your map because it needs to be associated with a mod.

Can you list the steps (exactly) on how you extracted the best map?

1. You opened ModStudio?
    2. Then you opened what .module file in mod studio?

Hang on - i was just messing with it again.

I am still a little confused as to what i am doing here but - i just moved all the files i extracted, from my mod folder into THQ\Company of Heroes\WW2\data\scenarios\sp and tried to open the map in worldbuilder and it worked - i thought they had to be in the mod folder when you opened them? What would happen if i edited this map and saved it?

To answer your question i named my new mod xx so when it made the xx.module that is what i opened with corsix. After i did that i extracted all the files in the best folder. Those went into THQ\Company of Heroes\xx\Data\Scenarios\SP\cxp2.

Next i tried moving the best.sgb into THQ\Company of Heroes\xx\Data\Scenarios\SP and then tried to open it in worldbuilder but that is what gave the file is not in any known projects error.

Then i tried renaming it to the same name as the mod folder but that didn't work.

Then i tried putting best.sgb in THQ\Company of Heroes\WW2\Data\Scenarios\SP but that gave the file is not in a known project error.

Then i tried moving the entire contents of the best folder into THQ\Company of Heroes\xx\Data\Scenarios\SP\ but that didn't work either.

So then i tried moving the entire contents of the best folder into THQ\Company of Heroes\WW2\Data\Scenarios\SP and when i opened best.sgb in worldbuilder it opened. *shrugs*

i thought they had to be in the mod folder when you opened them? What would happen if i edited this map and saved it?
    No, they don't HAVE TO be in a mod folder but they SHOULD be in a mod for the following reason.

What would happen if i edited this map and saved it?
    Nothing, except that you can't switch between playing both your modified version of the map and the original (which is a help when you think you may have messed something up and want to check). The only way to play the original version after modifying a map the way you describe is by deleting the those modified versions. Then the old version (still stored in the archives) will be played again.

To answer your question i named my new mod xx so when it made the xx.module that is what i opened with corsix. After i did that i extracted all the files in the best folder. Those went into THQ\Company of Heroes\xx\Data\Scenarios\SP\cxp2.
    Sounds like you did that correctly. You should be able to open the map in World Builder straight from there without moving them anywhere - IF your pipeline.ini is set up correctly for your mod.

You should have a section that looks like this in pipeline.ini

Code:
    [project:xx]
    Global =0
    Parent = bia_engine
    Description = xx.module
    DataSource = DataSrc\xx
    DataSourceShared =
    DataIntermediate = IntDataSrc\xx
    DataGeneric = DataGeneric\xx
    DataBurn =
    DataFinal = xx\Data
    DataPreview = Engine\Data
    LocaleFolder = xx\Locale\English

That's what tells World Builder where to find mod data.

So then i tried moving the entire contents of the best folder into THQ\Company of Heroes\WW2\Data\Scenarios\SP and when i opened best.sgb in worldbuilder it opened.

This works because pipeline.ini ALREADY KNOWS where to find standard data files.

Wait a minute - you are telling me i have to edit the pipeline.ini file and change it to that?

Or are you saying i have to add that to the end of the pipeline.ini after the other stuff that is already in there?

And if that is true then for every mod i make would i have to then add a new section onto the end of pipeline.ini with the name of the mod?

I just tried to add that onto the end of pipeline.ini and i moved everything back into the mod folder and when i tried to open the map in worldbuilder it went back to the - is outside of all known mods error.

you are telling me i have to edit the pipeline.ini file and change it to that?
    If you do that then the part above you said works won't anymore because the rest of the settings in that file tell it where to find VCOH stuff.

You have to add that to your pipeline.ini file for every mod you are going to work on (not play, but work on with tools).

That's a standard step when you're creating a new mod. Don't recall where it says that but it does somewhere.

That same section has to be repeated in your pipeline file with the "xx" changed to what ever each mod's name is.

That's the only way the art tools know where to find the stuff that goes with the mod.

I just tried to add that onto the end of pipeline.ini and i moved everything back into the mod folder and when i tried to open the map in world builder it went back to the - is outside of all known mods error.
    Silly questions but:

1) Is your mod REALLY called "xx" or was that just an example you gave? (xx in that file section has to be your exact mod name)
    2) You didn't do all these changes with world builder still open did you? (you'll have to restart it for these to take effect)

(had to ask)

Otherwise, somewhere along the line you must have messed something up somewhere.

I know it a pain in the butt but you might want to just fry your COH and reinstall then start from scratch installing the Complete Mod Tools resource, then create a new mod, then extract the maps, then try to edit again.

In most cases this is easier than trying to figure out what is wrong especially since it sounds like you haven't done any other modding yet.

That's a standard step when you're creating a new mod. Don't recall where it says that but it does somewhere.

That's the problem, i can't seem to find detailed instructions on how to do ANY of this simple basic stuff that the rest of you already know how to do, at least not correct or up to date information anyway. If you know where this information is please point it out because i simply cannot find it.

For example -- i had no idea that maps you make with VCOH world builder should be in the my documents folder but that it does not apply to mods until you told me so - the way it is worded elsewhere on this forum is that since TOV they should be in my documents. Very confusing.

That same section has to be repeated in your pipeline file with the "xx" changed to what ever each mod's name is.
    Just so i am clear on this - i have to add this to the pipeline.ini file and not replace anything - i am simply adding it onto the end right?

1) Is your mod REALLY called "xx" or was that just an example you gave? (xx in that file section has to be your exact mod name)
    2) You didn't do all these changes with world builder still open did you? (you'll have to restart it for these to take effect)
    1 - yes
    2 - no

I know it a pain in the butt but you might want to just fry your COH and reinstall
    Again - i don't think i have everything set up right. I was lurking around these forums for a good month before i decided to register because i simply couldn't find a solution. Obvoiously because i cant seem to find the correct information - i've tried searching the forums - and when i think ive found a solution to something it turns out to be the exact opposite of what i really need to do.

And one final thing - Plese tell me that all these problems are not caused by me having TOV because the way things have gone i am beginning to wonder if that isnt the problem. And if it tells me somewhere that i can't make a mod with TOV then i certainly havent seen it.

I have TOV and all mods work with it that I've tried (including my own) so that is definitely not your issue.

Not sure what instructions/threads you're finding but its all right here:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...-one-installer

Just so i am clear on this - i have to add this to the pipeline.ini file and not replace anything - i am simply adding it onto the end right?
    Correct, but only since your mod is really named "xx".

i had no idea that maps you make with VCOH world builder should be in the my documents folder but that it does not apply to mods until you told me so
    I've never put any maps in my documents for modding. I believe that only if someone else gives you a map and you want to pay it with VCOH in like skirmish mode but not sure. Again, never put any there.

Not sure what instructions/threads you're finding but its all right here:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...-one-installer
    You know i had been in that thread before but i ignored it because i thought it was installing stuf i didn't want or need.

Regardless i tried it and now i can open maps like you said i should. Thank you very much!!! I guess the stuff i was reading was simply outdated information. Now i wish i had just downloaded that thing in the first place - it would have saved a lot of headache.

One last thing and then i think i can move on - i made some changes to the map and i want to test them out - how would i go about actually playing it?

I know it's a campaign map and thus single player - but i dont want to replace the campaign map - i just want to see what my changes do to it so i can figure stuff out for when i make my own single player map.

1. Copy the icon you use to start COH
    2. Right click your new copy
    3. Select Properties from the menu
    4. Add this to the end of the Target field (out side of the last quote):

Code:
    -dev -mod xx
    NOTE: This is specific to your mod because its called "xx". Replace "xx" with the name of another mod if necessary. So the line should look like this:

Code:
    "D:\Program Files(x86)\THQ\Company of Heroes\RelicCOH.exe" -dev -mod xx
    5. Save that change
    6. Start COH with that icon
    7. Play the campaign mission for the map you changed (you might have to follow this first unless you are modding the first mission in a campaign)

This will let you play your changed version of the campaign map.

To play the VCOH non-changed campaign map just use your original icon to start COH.

When you've got it working the way you want then you can deal with getting it moved to where you really want it because that would just complicate this answer.

Well that's what i did but the TOV campaigns are locked?

And where should i put the map? I thought i needed to to change it back to a sga - when i exported it with worldbuilder, it saved the sga in the my documents folder ww2\scenarios. Should i have not done that? Or should i just save it as sgb in the mod folder where it was extracted in the first place??

Again, if you are using a proper mod setup there is NO REASON to move anything anywhere and until you get to the point where you want someone else to have it there's no need to change file extensions, just leave everything as it is when its extracted. Leave them where they are extracted to. Which, if you are extracting properly with a valid mod, they should be in THQ\Company of Heroes\xx\Data\Scenarios\SP\ or one of its campaign sub-folders.

As for TOV campaigns being locked you need to look at the basics see "Q: How can I get mods to work with v2.602, and the ToV campaigns?" in that thread. That explains it all.

Ok - it's all starting to make sense now - i have everything working now - except for one thing - everything that has text is replaced with some stuff like $35000 No Range. Is that normal?

I just did a search for it but i didn't find anything about it?

Recheck that TOV question/answer. Those are ID numbers that refer to string's with the Locale file (.usc extension). I suspect you either missed that step or did it wrong.

Nevermind...I just remembered the thing about the english.ucs file and so i popped it into the mod folder and its fixed now.

Thank you very much Jaffar!!! I greatly appreciate all the help you have given me!

No problem. Just be sure to "pay it forward" as they say and help someone else that might have the same issues.

i almost have the same problem only when i wan't to make a new file and name it and all then when the map size should pop up then it dosen't pop up and also when i wan't to open a file then it says the file blablabla is outside all known mods WTF!!! also i have all 3 game s coh normal on steam and tov and of are on cd i had the normal coh on cd too but someone took my cd key and putted it up on the internet so the key got banned and the profile

Check your Company of Heroes folder. I had the same problem a while ago and found a file called MyMod.module. I deleted this file and then it all worked fine again.

Thread Information