How To: Fix the Greyhound/Puma/Staghound damaged engine bug

1. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #1

How To: Fix the Greyhound/Puma/Staghound damaged engine bug

This is a pretty simple tutorial, which will tell you what you need to do to fix the Damaged engine bug that plagues a number of vehicles in CoH. This tutorial requires you to have and be familiar with Corsix's Mod Studio, especially with adding requirement actions.

1. Find the vehicle engine damaged and destroyed criticals.

attrib\attrib\critical\vehicle_damage_engine.rgd
    attrib\attrib\critical\vehicle_damage_engine_incremental.rgd
    attrib\attrib\critical\vehicle_damage_engine_rear.rgd

attrib\attrib\critical\vehicle_destroy_engine.rgd
    attrib\attrib\critical\vehicle_destroy_engine_rear.rgd

attrib\attrib\critical\vehicle_light_damage_engine.rgd
    attrib\attrib\critical\vehicle_light_damage_engine_rear.rgd

attrib\attrib\critical\vehicle_light_destroy_engine.rgd
    attrib\attrib\critical\vehicle_light_destroy_engine_rear.rgd

2. In each one, open the requirements table and add a required_critical action. You'll need a required_critical action for each critical that occupies the same "critical slot", i've organised the listed criticals into groups so it might be easier to understand what i mean. For each requirement action, in the 0x7AB17C06 field (on my Mod Studio it's an unknown field) enter the path to the critical you want required (eg. critical\vehicle_damage_engine_incremental.lua). Set is_present to False, and set the reason to usage. Do this with additional required_critical actions in the requirements table, so that the critical requires that itself and the related criticals that would occupy the same "slot" not be present.

In the vehicle_damage_engine critical for example, you'd have 3 required_critical actions, one for itself, and one for each of the other two criticals that are in it's "group". Save the file, and do the same for the other criticals i listed above.

And that is pretty much it. Now any vehicle can only have a damaged engine or destroyed enging critical once, and it cannot get it again until the existing one is removed by repairing the vehicle.

Thanks, 1 question: this is only a visual change right? there isn't any harm gameplay wise when a vehicle gets an engine dmg crit while it already had one?

Again nice finding and a nice tut.

Could it be, that the same changes on "critical\vehicle_destroy_maingun.rgd" can preventing the Kingtiger for their destroyed gun bug (sometimes their gun "floats" on the turret after repairing - only the CoH-Kingtiger)?

I think I've seen that destroyed gun bug on other vehicles as well. but yes, maybe it does fix that.

reply from lethal:
    Leo: The damaged engine bug is a very big gameplay issue, which is what this tutorial is meant to address. What the bug is, is that a vehicle can recieve multiple damaged engine criticals at the same time. The effects of these stack, so with each additional damaged engine critical the vehicle is slowed down even further. The largest problem with the bug though, is that when repaired to full health, only one of the stacked damaged engine criticals is removed, the rest remain. It is very possible to in fact have enough criticals stacked that a full health Puma (for example) can be completely immobile, and i have experienced this with a Puma on an occasion where it constantly got hit with mortars.
    Last edited by LeoPhone; 3rd May 11 at 5:12 PM.

5. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #5
    As far as I know it also occurs on the Marder III. But other Panzer Elite vehicles also have bugs with engine damage (like the Sd.Kfz. 250).

6. Technical Help Senior Member  #6
    Cheers LD, moving to How-To's.

But other Panzer Elite vehicles also have bugs with engine damage (like the Sd.Kfz. 250).
    Yepp, near all vehicles with engine cowlings. Hope this will be gone now.

8. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #8
    Well this tutorial doesn't fix that. However I might found a way to fix the King Tiger's gun bug, thought I haven't tested it yet.

I added a requirement_action in the action_apply_ext in the ebps of the King Tiger, and added a required_critical to it, that requires critical\vehicle_destroy_maingun.lua NOT to be present (so is_present = false). Then in the upgrade_action of that requirement_action I added a animator_set_state that has these values:

do_state_machine_name = Healthy
    state_machine_name = Criticals_MainGun

In Theory this attrib combo would make the King Tiger's gun to be in the Healthy State at all times unless that critical is present. This method could - if it works -also be used to fix the Marder III and Sd.Kfz. 250's.

9. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #9
    Indeed, the destroyed gun bug on the King Tiger, Marder III, and on many other PE vehicles (the Sdkfz 250 HT's engine covers don't reset when repaired), are really a problem with the model. It MAY be possible fix as Celestial said, i'll give his suggestion a go, as see if it works.

Leo: The damaged engine bug is a very big gameplay issue, which is what this tutorial is meant to address. What the bug is, is that a vehicle can recieve multiple damaged engine criticals at the same time. The effects of these stack, so with each additional damaged engine critical the vehicle is slowed down even further. The largest problem with the bug though, is that when repaired to full health, only one of the stacked damaged engine criticals is removed, the rest remain. It is very possible to in fact have enough criticals stacked that a full health Puma (for example) can be completely immobile, and i have experienced this with a Puma on an occasion where it constantly got hit with mortars.

I believe the only way to remove the stacked criticals from a vehicle that might work, is to have the vehicle destroyed and to recover it with the Bergetiger (or similar mod-specific unit). However, i haven't tested that personally, so i can't say for sure.

@LD about your last statements the for recovering, especially this won't help on the Kingtigers gun bug. It is even buggy after recovering, but I must say, all my vehicles have a damage state (50% damage, 50% of it for engine, 50% maingun) after recovering, so it may be, that this issue comes again from the criticals. But where the hell comes then the multiple criticals. Are they not erased after killing?

Ok on the other hand, especially the kingtiger plays no role for me, because he is replaced by the Henschel version (HT&TD).

when the bergetiger recovers a vehicle it automatically gives the vehicle a critical for the sake of balance.

Not automatically, and not the bergetiger is giving this. The rebuilt-entity defines all the new criticals via action_apply_ext, so if you change this there, you will have your own specialized settings. Otherwise you will have a brand new car.

Oh and only as a sidenote, mostly I don't use the bergetiger for recovering, this job do my pioneers.

13. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #13
    Indeed criticals are dealt to recovered tanks, i meant the multitude of stracked criticals that can't be removed by repairing the vehicle normally. You'll notice that a recovered vehicle doesn't have the same criticals as it had when it died. When the vehicle dies, it becomes a different entity (the wreck), which has no criticals (can can't get any). When it's recovered, it has new criticals applied, just as Jagdpanther said.

lethal, your tutorial is saying
    add a required_critical action
    this confused me since I thought I had to add requirement_actions.

would be nice if you could remove the word "action" to prevent future confusions. thanks.

Yepp, Leo, I think you are right, because the reference points to a requirement not an action. I have not noticed this before, but it makes sense.

16. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #16
    well techincally it is an action. It doesn't sound right saying to add a required_critical, it needs to a required_critical something. Since the instructions say to open the Requirements table and add a required_critical action, i thought it'd be clear enough. But i'll happily change it in a way that'll make it clearer, if you have any suggestions?

But I must agree with @Leo here, because I have added it in the action section without thinking about the reference before. On reading I have not noticed this part of your instructions (don't know why - it may have to do with the rest of your text):
    open the requirements table
    Mark it bold.

The bug doesn't seem to be completely removed.

units will no longer keep getting engine dmg from the same mortar but if you throw a sticky on it it will still get double engine dmg.

19. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #19
    Really? i wonder how stickies get around it. Thanks for letting me know, i'll look into it, and hopefully discover something.

Thread Information