[RET] The Unforgiven - A New Race Mod

Holder of the Knights Cross Imperial Honour's Avatar

[RET] The Unforgiven - A New Race Mod

Imperial Honour proudly presents a Dawn of War II: Retribution modification, Angels of Death - The Unforgiven. The sons of Lion El'Jonson, 'The Lion', and Legio I of the Adeptus Astartes, the first legion, the Dark Angels and their successors seek to atone for a dark secret that haunts them even to this day. Their penance is to hunt down those that they call 'The Fallen', misled or traitorous brethren who forsook their Primarch and the Emperor on that fateful day that ended in the destruction of the Dark Angel's homeworld of Caliban.

Status
    Beginning anew on the latest version of Dawn of War II: Retribution the Angels of Death - The Unforgiven modification has passed the proof of concept phase and work is currently being done on the important skeleton of the modification. Currently the modification is troubleshooting teething problems, encountering never seen before issues that have arisen due to adding a completely new race, and writing the very code base that will bring the 'Unforgiven' to life on your screen. Due to the nature of the modification progress may at times be akin to taking two steps forwards and one step back as the modification explores new ideas, solutions and pipeline or workflow improvements.

The preceding status report was correct as of 18/08/2015.

Summary
    'Angels of Death - The Unforgiven' is a Dawn of War II: Retribution modification which adds the Dark Angels and their successor chapters as an independent and fully functional faction to Dawn of War II: Retribution. It will likely not modify the six pre-existing races from 'vanilla' Dawn of War II: Retribution. The goal, if constraints allow it, is for the modification to be a standalone modular modification that can in the future easily be combined with other modular race modifications to create an unprecedented experience.

The new 'Unforgiven' race will feature unique, new gameplay features to help differentiate them from their Space Marines kin. While the mod is investigating ways to implement a fourth hero choice due to current constraints the 'Unforgiven' race currently will not feature a fourth hero option. Due to its pioneering nature the modification's features are subject to change at any moment as it reacts to unique problems and technical dilemmas, however, there will be no compromise on our goal of adding a new race to Dawn of War II: Retribution.

Features
    + Adds 'The Unforgiven', consisting of the Dark Angels and their successors, as a brand new playable race for Dawn of War II: Retribution
    + Fight like the Dark Angels, in times of need call upon assets from the infamous first and second companies
    + A standalone, modular modification that can be easily combined with other future 'new race' modifications
    + Compatible with the Dark Angels DLC released for Dawn of War II: Retribution, giving you the ultimate Dark Angels experience
    + Easy to install, make your enemies repent sooner than tomorrow!

Media
    N\A - Patience is a virtue, all in good time brothers.

Credits
    + Games-Workshop and the Warhammer 40,000 IP.
    + Relic Entertainment, THQ and SEGA for creating and continuing to support the Dawn of War series.
    + The Dawn of War II Modding Community; their fan-made mod tools, assets and assistance is invaluable.
    + Promythyus, for several vital reasons.

A Note On Sharing Work and\or Helping Others
    Dependent on constraints set by third-party content providers (e.g. Shuma), assets in this modification will try to be freely available for use by other Dawn of War II modifications. Developing a new independent, playable race for Dawn of War II: Retribution can be a complex process, if have any queries feel free to ask. When offering assistance help in return would be appreciated but it is not an absolute requirement, also where applicable credit would be greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer
    TM & © 2015 Games Workshop Limited All rights reserved. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 and related marks are trademarks of Games Workshop Limited.
    This Dawn of War 2: Retribution modification is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited.
    Last edited by Imperial Honour; 18th Aug 15 at 5:50 AM. Reason: Altered Modification Information
    Angels of Death: The Unforgiven - A 'new race' modification for Dawn of War II: Retribution
    Repent! For Tomorrow You Shall Die!...

Looks good. Will we need the DA DLC for it?

The following information was from 19\06\2011 and is now outdated:

Spoiler

Last edited by Imperial Honour; 17th Aug 15 at 3:10 PM. Reason: Outdated Information

The following information was from 19\06\2011 and is now outdated:

Spoiler

Last edited by Imperial Honour; 17th Aug 15 at 3:10 PM. Reason: Outdated Information

Loving the looks of this!

The following information was from 21\06\2011 and is now outdated:

Spoiler

Last edited by Imperial Honour; 17th Aug 15 at 3:11 PM. Reason: Outdated Information

The following information was from 16\07\2011 and is now outdated:

Spoiler

Last edited by Imperial Honour; 17th Aug 15 at 3:11 PM. Reason: Outdated Information

well we need some "picture-material" or this is getting uninteresting for the most people here :/
    LSA|Eternal

Rex Imperialis
    Id really love to see this Mod so good luck and the stuff so far looks amazing!

The following information was from 23\09\2011 and is now outdated:

Spoiler

Last edited by Imperial Honour; 17th Aug 15 at 3:12 PM.

hey Imperial honour ,looking good so far im working on a epic ba mod si wish you luck,now reason im writing you is this.
    you copy in race ebps file the ig and name your copy tau do some renaming in that file and it takes care of your crashing...least way iv seen it done ...hope this helps you out.

ive found an easy fix for this. go into racebps, make a copy of imperial_guard and call it ' tau '. set the race id to 6, have it point to the tau icons under race_path. got tyranids working again. clicking on tau in the army painter still causes it to crash. gunna mess with tuning_info to see if i can get tau to work in army painter

----------

Tau are now in the army painter, but it will crash if selected still. added them in under tuning_info and last stand. still crashing though. not that its a huge deal but i would like to get this working. does anyone know what other files might point to the army painter other than tuning_info?
    Last edited by shadowninja0069; 15th Nov 11 at 10:55 AM.

Is this mod still alive? o.O

SoHappyToSeeYou
    Think you could incorporate some of the "new" DA specific models (from the tabletop) ?

Digital Tears
    I'm going to take the wildest of guesses, that over a year on from the last post, this is dead. That, or the slowest worker of all time. Either way, not much use in prodding at it

Confirmed slowest worker of all time!

The opening post has been updated with new information regarding the modification and its status, which has been reincarnated anew. Reinstalled the Dawn of War II series to replay the campaigns and unlock the Steam achievements for the original and Chaos Rising releases and ended up getting back into modding, such is fate. In the process of under a day I have managed to validate a hunch I had four years ago that knowledge of Scaleform and GUI editing was potentially unnecessary to add new, functional, playable races to Dawn of War II: Retribution via mods. With my proof of concept a success my inspiration and test bed for the implementation of new races into Dawn of War II: Retribution, the Dark Angels, lives again.

Naturally, my proof of concept was the barest of bones implementations so now I must flesh out my prototype race and bring back the Dark Angels, and co, flavour which will set them apart from the pre-existing Space Marines race; all while dealing with any technical challenges that the game or engine throws at me on this pioneering adventure. Already managed to solve some issues I was having back in 2011 despite feeling my way back into things, duly assisted by still having a working backup of my previous work thanks to Promythyus. I must say it is a wonder what a fresh perspective can achieve at times, though being able to cross-reference what I did back in 2011 has been a blessing at times, as it led to some great new ideas and solutions.

I've posted some images from my proof of concept in the spoiler below for anyone interested in some visual confirmation. Now begins the real work of taking my proof of concept and prototype race and shaping them into a fully realised new race -- even if they are still Space Marines to most people -- alongside crushing any resulting issues and bugs.

Spoiler

excellent stuff IH. so many possibilties if your concept comes to fruition

also good source of assets for DA is bloodravages excellent mod destroyer 40k

Oh nice! Could you please do a walkthrough on how you put in new races? It would be great help for other mods!

What Deus said.

It cannot be understated. Ok, i have a slight, erm. conflict of interest here, as my mod adds 10 new factions. But yeah, do, do post! (Yes, i do add the Dark Angels, too, check my mod here if you want to have a look)

Successfully replicated the process with some other new bare bones races, so I believe I have a decent grasp on what the key to success was now. Still working on achieving the same functionality the 'vanilla' races have in regards to army painter support and such however. Managed to solve two key issues from 2011, so at least the army painter is stable and functional for the pre-existing races and going back to unmodded Dawn of War II: Retribution after last playing as a new race doesn't CTD the unmodded game anymore.

A walk-through of the process of setting up a new race is on my agenda, though I first need to tie up some loose ends and solve some new problems as usability for players has currently not yet met my satisfaction.

In the meantime you can have look upon some "new race" Deathwing, using (for those who own the DLC) the Dark Angels DLC:

Spoiler

That's nice! I'm very curious though: where did you focus your efforts in order to achieve this?

The Dark Angels DLC compatibility is nothing really if you have everything setup for it, simply added the new Unforgiven race to the list of races that can use the scheme and hey presto owners of the Dark Angels DLC can now derive even more enjoyment from their purchase. Since editing armypaintercolours.lua and defaultchaptercolours.lua is required for new races combining several mods together from different authors would take some community co-operation.

I can't say I focused my efforts anywhere in particular since a lot of critical elements interconnect with one another, so even if it's just one element that isn't right the game will crash to the desktop. I basically re-examined how the original races are set up, how my 2011 attempt was set up, noted the differences between them and then constantly iterated until I achieved my current working prototype. The game is a harsh but fair beast when it comes to setting new races up, no room for laziness and leaving any loose threads lying about.

Definitely don't recommend it (if done properly) for the faint of heart as it takes a few of man-hours, as all my "img:" icons below can testify, just to set up and populate the directories for race's unit icons & co and reference them in the code:

Spoiler

Well, I can tell that actually that is not an issue at all, as you can load up units from different races with no issues, so theoretically it would be possible to give an hypothetical new faction building units located in other race folders. (It works with the default races). However I'll defer to your expertise on this. So, editing armypaintercolours.lua and defaultchaptercolours.lua is required? interesting.

I did set a goal and standard to aspire to so hey I knew what I was getting into, although it has been beneficial when trying to learn more about what makes the game tick and what is causing errors. I don't have to but why not make the process as painless as possible for someone who wants to add my mod to theirs in admirable, good ol' Dawn of War "combine everything" style. So far if someone wants to change the Space Marine race, for example, then my work will be isolated from any file or directory changes.

To solve the prototype's flaws and know the system's limitations I like to push it in some potentially unnecessary ways as sometimes the game reacts differently when introduced to something it perceives as new and different. There have been some cases where what works for the existing retail races doesn't translate 1:1, or at all, to custom races.

Yeah, quite an admirable process! well, best of luck and i hope you can reach you goal soon (I think I am speaking for a lot of people here).

Any update on this? Any breakthrough, dealock, anything?

Thread Information