Right now, the huge problem with these moves stems from the fact that 1. they cause too much time to be wasted in the "braking" animation, effectively stunning the character who performs a shoulder ram, and 2. they do not inflict a stun or sufficient damage or other effect to make them worth using on enemies.
I suggest the following changes to charge attacks:
1. The charge attack allows for instant recovery and can be used to start a melee combo IF you hit the intended target. If you miss, you still get the stumble/braking animation and the opponent who siderolled or otherwise dodged you can get some free shots in.
2. The charge attack, when it hits will cause the target to stumble/be stunned and, if used on a dev that is set up, will force de-setup the dev. This will make it useful for both ASM and Tacs who manage to flank a dug-in devastator.
3. The damage should be significant, about equal to a serrated combat knife hit. Charge attacks should be used to start combos and reward players for smart flanking and good timing.
4. The ASM boost forward/charge attack should have more range and speed moving forward than a tac rolling backward, or any SM character just backing up. This would guarantee a hit if the opponent just tries to back straight up. In order to dodge the charge attack, you must roll out of the way, that is, to the side. This would require some skill and timing on the defender's part to circle/strafe to the side, since you can't just back straight up and press the trigger.
5. The Furious Charge perk would affect both the normal shoulder ram AND the asm jetpack boost/ram, and would add a bit of damage and an aoe on impact, allowing you to stagger a group of enemies who are bunched up close enough. It would also give your charge priority over an enemy charging at you who did NOT have the furious charge perk.
This would make the shoulder ram/charge attack useful and powerful without overshadowing the melee combos, and would give tacs and ASM something to close the distance with in tight quarters and to surprise the all-powerful devs/havocs with.