Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

[SS] Chaos Daemons Mod (1.5) - Released!

hey Cylarne if you want i can give a shot at the main menu design and make it quite warped and daemonic, up to you.

Lemme definitely think about that.

EDIT: Most likely yes, but not YET. Hold that thought and THANK YOU!
    Last edited by Cylarne_04; 30th Oct 11 at 8:16 PM.
    Mods In Progress: Ultimate Apocalypse | Daemons Mod

Beware, my Ultimate Apocalypticinator!

Just for the curious:
    It's Daemon, or Demon?

Origins: The word "Demon" is originated from the Greek word DAIMON (the letter "D" is pronounced as "th" in "them"). The "AI" is also pronounced as "E" in Greek, but has a different metric value (too complex to analyze this here). To keep the same metric value, most words taken form Greek change the Greek "AI" to "AE".
    Thus, Daemon is the correct form.

Meaning: It was initially addressed to god-like entities, ranked directly below the 12 gods of the Greek Pantheon. As Christianity came along, the meaning changed to the complete opposite; they were used as the personified metaphor of sin (Daemons' "physical" forms were so divert, that they could easily represent certain sins).

Personal Opinion: With the passing of time, human ignorance neglected the metaphoric part (what suits best has to be true...), and even today many believe that daemons actually, physically exist. This is also a doctrine of modern Christianity (which is pity).

P.S: I was bored, so do not judge harshly. Moreover, I have no intention to offend or open an irrelevant to his MOD topic, so I will delete any of the above at Moderators' discretion.
    -In search of Papasmurf...

Yes, I've already updated all the tooltip entries to the correct spelling so there's no need to worry about that.

Daemon is the official GW spelling and the game has always used it so I am using it.
    -It's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop at the end (Douglas Adams)-
    -Make something idiot proof and nature will create a better idiot.-
    -Me fail English? That's unpossible!-

I thought the official doctrine of modern (meaning in the last 400 odd years) Christianity was that even God didn't physically exist. They always make such a big deal out of how believing in a physical God is pagan and cultish. It's plain weird if they believe that demons/daemons physically exist but God doesn't.

Anyway, agreed that daemon is the correct spelling to refer specifically to warp-spawned entities in 40K, whether or not they are currently in the material universe.

So Cylarne_04 has sent me a build containing most of the art and fx and such.

Some stuff that needs to be done:

Improving some of the tooltips - names of structures, units, researches, etc. and also removing some of the references to Apocalypse stuff that isn't really appropriate for balancing against Soulstorm. Should be fairly quick.

Balancing against Soulstorm - in its current form, it's balanced against the Apocalypse mod so in order to maximise the compatibility with other mods and races some stuff needs to be removed like the Apocalypse tier and some of the more powerful aspects need to be toned down. Much playtesting required for pacing and balancing against Soulstorm stats.

Modelling - I'll leave this to other parties more skilled in this department than I, some of the models could do with a few improvements. Cylarne_04 also mentioned replacing some of the models with own created stuff, like I said I'll leave this to others.

Getting FX working to a decent enough state - So far I've only briefly tested the initial release (imagine a lot of pink boxes with floating pink boxes for company with an extra helping of pink shapes). Just a matter of trial and error I guess.

AI - should be fairly straightforward once the code has been stabilised and final balance has been decided. Playtesting would be required for deciding on strategies and build orders.

Minor fixes here and there and testing - ongoing to make sure nothing gets broken by me or others (most likely me).

Excellent!!!!
    Given the fact that Cylarne is attending to his own life matters and he is currently in lack of spare time, these are very good news, especially since Corncobman's quality is unquestionable.
    Thanks Corn!

Update: All Art being all not pink and bad fx and stuff and stuff is done. (I hope)

So now I believe after Corncobman receives the latest Daemons mod, we can FINALLY get to work on it. Balance, ... stuff ... more stuff, new ideas are welcome. I think the Daemons are 98-100% extracted from the Apocalypse Mod, finally.

HEHE!!! Things are going very well.....
    Cylarne, I currently play-test Death Angels (which is an excellent MOD, you will be amazed to see what is coming! - I cannot say more) but I would very much like to play-test Daemons, so, at the appropriate time, please feel free to include me to the play-testers list (should you want me to)...

well i proposed to make a main menu for this mod because i'm a great fan of chaos and daemonworld, i know this is not a classic DoW presentation or menu style but i really wanted this to feel and look different;
    so i decided to get rid of the frontend model (having the same character again and again is boring to hell !) and aim for a more wide opened scene.
    instead of a close up view of a model i wish we could incorporate some fx like :

+mod name glowing metal shine
    +warp rift opening in the left corner
    +lava river glowing in the background
    and of course :sound ! a fierce batlle with growls, howls, chaos god laughing and thunder !!

it is a work in progress i need to complete the menu roll over, i think i'm going to get rid of this red gothic font letter and of the surrounding letterbox:

so i would like to have your opinion, do you think this is worthy of the Daemon mod or should i keep this for my own use or a map loading screen :

so no more talk ! make room for the DAEMONS ARMIES !!!!

Spoiler

JL

WHOA!!! Excellent work JL!!!!!!!! You guys should earn your living from this.....

@ Jaguar-Lord: I- I... I am literally speechless. That has to be one of the best (if not the best) main menu screen I've seen.

If I'm in time to give some advice, I think it'd be best if it was non-widescreen compatible. While most gamers have a widescreen display, the first DoW releases could only be played in 4:3 resolutions. DC and SS got a crude adaptation to widescreen (most graphics simply got streched. I play them on widescreen anyways).
    Also, one of the main problems with many custom main menus: The text gets a bit hard to read. Giving the text a light background color when the option is selected would easily fix this (I think).

Finally... Where do you get that stuff? It's all original art from you? You put it together from awesome (and somehow I never saw) pictures? Anyhow, that's how a proper (Daemonic) main menu is done. You sir, are an artist... an awesome artist.

As you can see there are NO WORDS to describe this above within Jaguar-Lords lung ripping, face blushing, jaw dropping perfect creativity and talent. Obviously this here is worth... my heart. ^^ My first reaction was... this with a bit of tears.

So Jaguar-Lord, you, Corncobman, and Croax are getting lots of gifts here soon, after I figure out where this last BLASTED fx belongs to. I'll be most HONORED to put this daemonic .tga in mod, just make sure to link me the files! Cheers!
    Last edited by Cylarne_04; 8th Nov 11 at 3:38 PM.

I agree that the Daemons MOD should have a special frontend (in fact they have, as I see it!! Thanks again JL, I am more that certain that Cylarne will be thrilled). I very much like the idea of the warp rift instead of the daemonic hero.

P.S.: As PsykoTenshi said, I would like to have a 4:3 resolution option... even just for compatibility reasons.

Edit: Cylarne was faster than me!

Quote Originally Posted by The guy above me which is Gambit
    Edit: Cylarne was faster than me!

Cylarne, I currently play-test Death Angels (which is an excellent MOD, you will be amazed to see what is coming! - I cannot say more) but I would very much like to play-test Daemons, so, at the appropriate time, please feel free to include me to the play-testers list (should you want me to)...
    We have plenty room.

OK, Waiting...
    Kk, nevermind.
    Last edited by Cylarne_04; 8th Nov 11 at 7:41 PM.

OK, Waiting...

That's a pretty freaking cool front end.

Wow that is really impressive stuff.

Must...not...break...down...in...tears...

Oh my

Jaguar-Lord... are you... are you a God?

He's Tzeentch

Off-topic
    @RMX: More like Slaanesh from my part.. (he did seduce us!)

i follow this forums for a few month but this is my first time here as a member

i want to know if Jaguar-Lord could make a wallpaper with the picture above : i love it !

great mod i hope to play it soon !

depends on the number of people interested and if Cylarne_04 is ok with it.
    i'm still working on the menu because i nedd to tweak the button roll over graphics for the main menu

JL

I just had this crazy idea: What if instead of just a wallpaper, it could be made into a screensaver? I'm sure it'd be utterly awesome.

It's just a suggestion ignoring many, many technical aspects. Of course it will have to be independent of the DoW graphics engine and there must be numerous other obstacles in the middle but... it would be a God-Tier screensaver.

The TAINT is great with this one.. Well done J-L and all involved in the Daemons Mod!

(off topic) screensaver ? why not...is it possible to add anim and sound to a screensaver...need to think about this....

i need some insight about the following, it is general modding but related to the daemon mod main menu modding : have a look at this post

thanks
    JL

27. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #127
    Note that the forum rules do not condone asking for updates, Gambit. Which is essentially what your post is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ANm-AwBUo
    At the request of a friend did this unit
    I think it is useful to you
    In the future, I will still make him the new animations and improving old ones (after watching the video I remade idle 2)))

@Gorb: Sorry friend, I truly didn't intend to break the rules... but I did. You are right. Post deleted.

Outstanding, Andrei. Thank you for contributing to this mod.

Hey, I've been following this forum for the past few weeks... and I was wondering: what kind of general gameplay scheme was chosen for the Daemons? In earlier posts I read suggestions about having altars specific to the 4 chaos gods, and listening posts having auras that boost the performance of buildings, and daemons using no requisition, only energy, etc. What kind of general gameplay scheme has been decided on so far??

Only Cylarne knows. It's a surprise I think.

33. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #133
    A forgettable little corner of southwestern Kentucky
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrei355 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ANm-AwBUo
    At the request of a friend did this unit
    I think it is useful to you
    In the future, I will still make him the new animations and improving old ones (after watching the video I remade idle 2)))
    I've seen one of those before.
    I has a Blurb. And one of those Tweeter things.
    Quote Originally Posted by roflmao
    I'd run with a shotgun to go hijack a private airplane and fly to Belgium. Nothing interesting ever happens in Belgium, so there's definitely no zombie apocalypse there.

Somewhere on a feudal world. I.E England South West
    Nice detail on the fiend.

I've seen one of those before.
    You talking about your model or and earlier version of this particular modeller?
    All is dust...

35. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #135
    A forgettable little corner of southwestern Kentucky
    Not a version of that particular model. Just a Slaaneshi fiend in general. Met it at 4-H camp back in junior high. :P

@Andrei: Hmm cool design, what is that?

@Jaguar Lord: I tried figuring out your problem about the screensaver idea and the text color being not readable... I tried but can't help you, I'm not that skilled at that mate.
    The Daemonic essence is strong with this one ^^

Fiend of Slaanesh?

@Jaguar Lord: I tried figuring out your problem about the screensaver idea and the text color being not readable... I tried but can't help you, I'm not that skilled at that mate.
    The Daemonic essence is strong with this one ^^
    it is only a matter of "how many free time you get", because roaming through thousands of code lines in the .screen is boring and long, plus it requires that you test each change to see if this is what you areafter.
    the Dow gui was build using a specific sofware and it is the only tools never released by relic because it was not stable (read : leads to many ctd) thats why such changes and modding is that boring and complicated.
    so the task is simple :
    +get rid of the grey background on each button of the main menu without impacting the other menu,
    -->solution : repath each instance of the button in the revalent .screen file to target a new custom graphic or the replace each color defined in the "css" of the .screen for the main menu button by a 100% transparent color (0,0,0,0 )

easy isn't it ?
    only damm LONG !!

JL

@JL: Hmm... well, I'll see if I can assist further.

@All: In need of Daemon Listening Post design and name ideas. Lemme hear them.

In other news: My friend RT2 hooked me up with 97 Daemon icons today. + ingame disabled = 194. So obviously icons are set.

@Andrei: I'll gladly put the Daemon Fiend of Slaanesh ingame if you want bro. I request as many Daemon foes as possible. Just gimme infos. Thanks!

In need of Daemon Listening Post design and name ideas.
    Design Ideas (all refer to an altar, upon which the scenes below take place, animated. Alternatively, statues representing the scene)
    Khorne: Bloodlust ....
    Tzeentch: Mutilated bodies with gags to their mouths, distorted-twisted bodies, blue energies, magic sparks....
    Slaanesh: Beautiful succubi inviting by-passers to join them, screams of pleasure...
    Nurgle: Noxious, sick, tainted bodies that spread out an acidic, "vomitive" vapors, ...

Sorry, I know, I was not much of a help.....

Listening Post Names (and their upgraded version)
    Khorne: Altar of Blood --> Altar of Gore
    Tzeentch: Altar of Dark Secrets --> Altar of the Unspoken
    Slaanesh: Altar of Corruption --> Altar of Lust
    Nurgle: Altar of Plague --> Altar of Pestilence and Despair
    Last edited by Gambit; 25th Nov 11 at 2:26 PM.

hey Cylarne i got this for you if ever you want it :

the model needs some enhancement and some more work in max imo.
    so?

JL

ho Shit..!

So uh... yeah I kinda want and NEED dat. If anything, ship it off to Corncobman then? I can't download or upload anything, that is... retarded, lol. Yeah give it to Corncobman then, I haven't given him anything for a long time.

@Corncobman: If you get it, put it ingame bro.

@JL: ........................................................................

43. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #143
    The problem with asking for aesthetic design of the Daemon Listening Posts is that we don't know the functional design of said LPs. Do they follow the traditional "LP -> LP1 -> LP2" upgrade system, or do they use the altered Dark Eldar "LP -> LP1 -> Weapon Upgrade" system? Or something else entirely?

Hmm... true. We might have to split it in thirds to get this thing operational. Which would require MAX and OE work further.

Right now there is no behind the scene idea of the Daemon LP. It's just a Tyranid Chimney right now that does other secret stuff with basic code functions.

nothing to do with vid but was holding rubber band inbetween my lips (?) and i pulled on the bottom and it flung up into my nostril
    How about you use the 'mark of chaos' system from FoK? you know

or has that been suggested in some subtle way?

What you'd need to do is make a Warp Rift, the daemon HQ, which spawns either builder units or builds them itself (Creates them, holds them in deep strike then can be deployed) There should be shrines of the chaos gods, e.g. shrie of Khorne, Shrine of urgle, Shrine of Teenzech, and shrine of Slaanesh. Each should produce their different units according to the god the daemon is devoted to. Then make heralds as commanders at the corresponding shrines with the ability to attach to their type of daemon. E.G. slannesh herald can attack to slannesh daemonettes, and such. Make a Blood shrine for relic units, and a Shrine with it's corresponding cool evil name for the super heavy unit the Soul Grinder. SIMPLE!

Chaos

listening posts should have an upgrade feature which you can choose, e.g altars, for example, you start with a chaos altar, you can upgrade it to a khorne altar, which gives it weaponary, a nurgle altar which supports allied units near the altar, a teenzech altar which it can create teenzech uits and deep stike them into its radius, or a slaanesh altar which infiltrates them.

For a daemonic resource, they should replace power with favor, which generates as more enemies are killed. So requisition still is required, but to spawn stronger or even relic units( best example is greater daemons and the soul grinder) , you require favor. E.g.
    Kill an infantry or heavy infantry unit(Singular, e.g. a fire warrior is 1 favor, the squad would be 8 men so 8 favor for the whole squad dead): 1 favor
    Kill a commander: 10 favor
    Kill a vehicle: = to the cap they use up.
    Kill a super heavy(Avatar,Squggoth,Monolith,Land raider, baneblade): 25 favor
    Kill a necron (because they resurrect, they can help daemons cheat the system):2 favor, because they're so heavy, and 0 for killing 1 that revived, with the exception of a mass resurrection, which would equal 2 for each that relives, as they can be hard to kill, and the daemons deserve it if they live a mass resurrection with thousands of necrons!!

And favor prices
    Lesser daemons: 0 favor
    Heralds: 4 favor
    specialties(seekers, juggernauts):8
    Greater daemons:20
    Soul grinder building:30 favor
    Soul grinder, a whopping 100 favor, but the soul grinder should be free of requisition.

For a daemonic resource, they should replace power with favor, which generates as more enemies are killed.
    It is not possible by game engine, (the only way to do such kind of thing -> the use heavy SCAR scripts, which easily will break multiplayer game)
    So, VoIdDrAgOn, even if it sounds rough, go back to the tutorials section, and please learn something more about the game you plan to start to mod. You suggestions is bit of ridiculous currently

Couldn't such a resource be implemented using the soul resource somehow? For example, having a building that acts as a harvester automatically with an infinite range.

Quote Originally Posted by RMX View Post
    Couldn't such a resource be implemented using the soul resource somehow? For example, having a building that acts as a harvester automatically with an infinite range.
    It can break DE-balance, if DE will be Daemon's Ally on the map. This building will automatically harvest all souls faster, than DE player will gather it "manually"

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information