[WIP] (8) Hell Hath No Fury

[WIP] (8) Hell Hath No Fury

This is my new map. The idea is to have a very destructive and brutal trench fight. Each side has an extensive network of defenses, the middle or 'No-Mans Land' will actually be no-mans land, I will make all of the brown area right now into null territory and i'm hoping that company of heroes will let me have the gap, basically making the territory not connect in the middle. This will have the effect of making any assault much more difficult. I will probably put 4 victory points per side. Im hoping this will give the map an authentic feel of trench warfare where maneuver is nearly impossible and victories are measured in yards or meters. Check out the progress so far:

Spoiler

Why don't you just make it a high MP point?Or the Victory point that has the territory ability? Otherwise it will probably be an arty war or something...

I assume your talking about the middle area.
    I do want there to be lots of arty involved, I intend to have around 70-80 munitions without building OPs on the munition points.

Also (I didnt mention above) another reason for having the gap in the middle is that capturing enemy territory will not yield extra resources for you all it will do is reduce their resources, so it will be a game of very small gains that will probably be hard to hold. What Im going for is a WW1 style strategy, where you have to have a lot artillery support, a lot of units in reserve to plug gaps, and holding out against counter-attacks will be what determines victory. It will probably be a slow map.

Are you going to code it so that there is no population limit and there is a constant flow of MP? But yeah, that makes sense, I will definitely play this
    And also, are those trenches or big walls? I cannot tell...

there is sort of a tiered defense with trenches and concrete plateau like things
    I wasnt planning on coding anything like pop limits or MP, but I intend to have a lot of man power points, and with 4 players per side I hope there will be alot of units in play

Withernwick you know that place you've never heard of
    Will tanks be able to get through the defenses or will there be a big choke point?
    Perhaps include man able guns like 88s flaks nebs and 105s so an early strong defense is present along with a thick mine field with mg bunkers at the first line
    any way looks good hope to test soon
    I lost the game guys

Yes they will be able to pass through the defenses, however their movement will be very limited.

I look forward to this map, will you be giving us more pictures? Also, are you going to add lots of openings in the trenches so the AI doesn't screw up? (also lots of openings allows for better gameplay)

UPDATE: some texturing

Here is some texturing of the trench area.

sorry i cant seem to get the images to appear in the post, so you have to go to the website
    p.s. they are pretty big files

----------

Yes there will be quite a bit of openings

et Vòila ...

Spoiler

PHP Code:
    [Spoiler]
    [
    IMG]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/2536/relic00000y.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4118/relic00001tq.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6146/relic00002v.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7644/relic00003.jpg[/IMG]
    [/Spoiler

Love it!
    "There's no explaination for why I survived and others didn't other than when your number is up its your time to go. So now, every morning when I get up - I change my number."

Unknown Pearl Harbor Survivor

Looks very promising...

Love the concept of the map. Is the battle concept I like the most (hate short games). But I wonder if the AI will manage these features like it should.

Hope you can release it soon.

Good work so far.

Dropping out of lurking mode to just say that I am very interested in this map design and I am looking forward to its release. Thank you for your work, Meatrind, and I hope that you will have a finished version to post for download soon.

The texturing images looked like the map improved a lot! Hope you will keep updating it, this map has potential in my eyes, basically the Operation assault map in Skirmish. Keep up the good work!

Sorry I haven't updated this in a while. I got caught up in life, but actually my attention has moved to a new map I have almost completed, it should be done in about a week or so. It is heavily inspired by Red Orchestra 2, I'll have a post up soon. Lots of industrial ruins, a nice rail yard etc. Ill probably continue work on this one, but it is monotonous doing hightmap and splats, over and over and over.

I'd love to see this finished, I just love maps like these.

That is why my favorite map is The Hochwald Gap, because it's common to trap the enemy in their base.
    Yet the enemy can hold out in their base if they are good enough because that bridge is one huge choke-point.
    Artillery Commander

Thread Information