Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First pictures of new Necron units

Necrons First pictures of new Necron units

From http://www.beastsofwar.com/

Source page seems too add new pictures as I write this. Go check it out!
    Last edited by GrimDark; 14th Oct 11 at 11:47 AM.
    DͭͭE̲̪͛́A̧̪̗̝ͨ̂̄̆̎T̐̐͒͒̄̄҉̣̝͈ͅH͕͇̪̱̋̑ͣ̎̐ͬ ̧̝T̥̖͌Ơ͋͋̔ ̬͓̘̦̼̟̑̇̔͌ͮ͋̏Ṭ̷͇̙̻̳̪͕ͣ̑H̸͈ͦ̂̐͂͆ͪ̈́E̢̿̄͊̾͆͆ͪ ̵̈́̉͒E̺̤̿̈ͤͮ̌̉͜N͐̃ͦ̅̕E̷͇̗̜̔ͮͤ̽M̴̥̃I̳͑͐̌͘E̫̒́S̡̤̰̯͚̐ͯ̐ͤ
    ͖̐͒ͩ̊͆́̚O̝ͪ͗ͬͬͮͧF̫̪̗̘͕̎̒ͪͩ͋ͅ ̣͔̔́ͦͮT͋H̺͎̫͕̖̐͟Ê̓͏̳͕͇̫̭̝̻ ̓̍̓̍̓ͯ͗́F̙̭͙̪͇̤̲̉͑͒̓̈́͒A͊̑ͥ̆̀L̴͚͉͇̞̼̗̑ͧ͒̒S͔̺̘̟̻̬ͦ͐ͩ͛Ě̯̠̹̕ ̹̮̊̈̆̓ͬͅÉ͖̟̙̮M̀Pͭ̉́̑͐̑̏E̹̬̹̭̋̌̇́R͕̣̦͎̽ͮ͗̿ͮ̏͌͢O̘̬̩̘͍R̪ͮͣ

Saw them earlier, and while i think the tanks or whatever look really goofy:

(whatthefuck)

This guys look really cool:

Pro-Skub, supporting the idea of new heroes for the Last Stand as DLC since 1967.
    Mod forum: SWR

:o Those infantry look really cool. Not quite sold on the vehicles though.
    Why did i have to be such a slow painter will a ton of models to still paint, ive wanted to start a Cron army since i did a painting comp. entry of them a while back... But, its weird not seeing the green plastic rods on any of them.

4. Space Marine Senior Member Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #4
    wow..so geared up for these!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pouk
    I'm not looking for what might happen after the Bowkers come to see this thread...
    A Lannister always pays his debt

..Why do the Necrons need a flying troop transport when they're masters of instant transmission? The only time I see Necrons getting around is when they're teleported by nodes and Monoliths.

6. Tabletop Senior Member  #6
    Infantry are sexy, but really do not like the pedallo/tandem bicycle style vehicles. Maybe they will grow on me but... eh, I dont think so!

The Deathmarks are really cool. The models definitely got the TLC they deserved. The Ghost Ark looks stupid, but I'm sure with a decent coat of paint/colour scheme it won't be that terrible. Kind of looks like an oar driven slave ship. The Command Barge that they have up on beastsofwar.com is kind of neat though. Keen to see them in person when they launch.

@Elerium - They forgot how and now they need a goofy space boat. Like DE, but not so Space Piratey...

"Hey guys check out my Tau stuff"

These are pretty cool.

Edit:

Last edited by Shuma; 14th Oct 11 at 12:53 PM.

Those Lords look a lot more like lords then the previous ones did, especially that one with the epic shoulder pads. As for the tanks... eh.. I want to see the destroyers (If there still in, im hoping they didnt replace them with tanks and other vehicles)

Well they look pretty much the same as the old ones, that's good.

Edit:

New crons.

Edit:

Last edited by Shuma; 14th Oct 11 at 1:23 PM.

With the amount of releases or should i say pictures going up, im starting to think that GW will be releasing everything on 5th November.

EDIT:

Looking at some of the pictures on Dakka Dakka im thinking that there's several 5 model box sets that make at least 2 seperate units.
    Beware The Shadows.

Now these:

I like.

Edit:

Edit:

Immortals get new guns apparently:

Edit:

Liked the old ones better.
    Last edited by Shuma; 14th Oct 11 at 2:03 PM.

Much more was redesigned than I expected.

Not all of it might be in the first wave though.

It's possible that due to the court case GW is currently in with Chapterhouse Studios, GW has decided to release new armies in one big lump so that other companies can not make models for ranges that GW themselves have yet to release. See Ogre Kingdoms as an example.

Makes sense to me.

Anyone else irked about the fact this "Beasts of War" site is just plastering and watermarking their crap all over the images? Someone went through the effort of slapping a "leaked" thing on every single one and their website twice. Yeah Beasts, I don't think I'll be visiting your site.

Old Flayed Ones are superior though, as for the Lychguard those headpieces are just eh, if anyone gets some I'd recommend shaving those off.
    As for the Lords I have to believe those are nostalgia pieces made as a throwback to the early lords, although that Tau logo next to the Eldar one, wonder why is that?

Also Deathmarks are really something.

Im liking the new infantry models quite a bit. None of them are as spectacular though as when the new DE ones were released though. Ill likely get some of those though

Also, yea i prefer the old flayed ones too.. something about a few of the news ones bugs me.. i think its the corpses they're dragging. The bottom middle one and top right ones look good though.

When fielding Imotekh the Stormlord always make your voice sound like the zombie dudes from The Mummy and chant "Immmoooohtekkkh" like a drone.

..What? It's something I'd want to do just to see their reaction

Yeah, not a fan of the BeastofWar site, or their tagging on the photos. It makes me think they have something to sell. Also their website is entirely too busy for me.

Flayed ones look weird. Why would a robot drape corpses on itself, doesn't make any sense to me. I don't know the fluff, but just looks stupid.

The overlord and named characters are badass, I really like the new models. Immortals look sweet. The helmets on the Praetorians are weird.

The vehicle(s) so far look like a bad mix of egyptian mythology/tomb kings and space pirates, not a fan at all. I wish they had gone a little more off the beaten path with the "flavour" on the models. Overall the redesign is great, just some asthetics that I don't like.

im guessing the tau and eldar symbols are trophy kills. and i thought that his clothes thingy was a xenomorph head for a sec, but wrong universe.
    Whoever Loves, go to Hell. I want to break Venus' ribs with a club and deform her hips. If she can break me tender heart, why can't i hit her over the head?

Looks like I'll finally cave in and buy some Necrons. At last, they look diverse and interesting enough to take my interest as a modeller. (Although I always considered making an army of them because I am a notoriously lazy painter.)
    Error 404:
    Your haiku could not be found.
    Try again later.

21. Homeworld Senior Member  #21
    Your night worstmare. Dimension's Avatar
    Tronzor, flayed ones cover themselves with skin because of their somewhat warped sense of camouflage and/or willingness to instill fear.

the old models look quite a lot better though imo.

<3

"Ahh, to walk upon the bloodstained ground."
    feels more and more like tomb kings in space with their egyptian like names and looks now instead of terminator-feeling...
    i don't like it that much... wanted more roboticness, not egyptianness...
    but i guess i'll grow to like it in the future.
    but yeah the flayed one's clothes look too clean to be flesh
    As our bodies are armoured with Adamantium, our souls are protected with our loyalty. As our bolters are charged with death for the Emperor's enemies, our thoughts are charged with wisdom. As our ranks advance, so does our devotion, for are we not Space Marines? Are we not the chosen of the Emperor, his loyal servants unto death? - Chaplain Fergas Nils

Dont like most of these at all. The thing that hooked me on necrons in the first place was the robotic horror side. The egyptian influence was subtle, and not the main focus. The cold simplicity and sleekness of their design was appealing to me. Will probably drop them for DE now. That being said, I think the deathmarks and immortals look great (mostly because they don't have the in your face tomb kings look), and the overlords are somewhat ok, since they're commanders. The headdresses ruin every model they're on though.

Oh, and the flayed ones are just bad. Completely inferior to the old ones.

If I had to rank everything it would be:

Awesome: Immortals, Deathmarks

Good: Lords

Meh: Triarch Praetorians

Awful: Lychguard, Ark, barge and flayed ones.
    Last edited by Warboss_Al; 15th Oct 11 at 8:47 AM.

Don't worry, it gets better. New fluff! Fluff that nerfs the C'Tan out of existance, gives necrons personality (and fear) and basically turns them into Tomb Kings in Space. Wonderful, GW, just wonderful.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum...4.page#3450114

Some of the new models look cool, but honestly they feel almost like a completely different race at this point. They aren't necrons without the C'Tan looming in the background, hordes of mindless slaves, extinction of all life. I mean c'mon there are necrons who want their bodies back?!

Edit 1: How is this supposed to inspire fear? The WHOLE POINT was that they were death incarnate - unflinching in their tasks, with horrible Cthuluian THINGS driving them forward. I mean, I knew the necrons were going to get more personality and variation - hell they needed it - but this? They aren't fear-inspiring, unknown horrors anymore, they're just a bunch of crabby old geezers who want their petty empires and bodies back. Some said they overlapped with the Tyranids before - now they're more like eldar or maybe Tau.

Edit 2: Oh, and I agree with the Warboss. The new flayed ones suck, and the headdresses ruin everything they're on. And why on earth do Necron transports work exactly the same as normal ones? Why don't they compress them into micro-space or something, or at least use that pretty magi-tech that characterizes them so much. And on that tangent, why do they look like Egyptian barges rather than as wierd, alien technology beyond the comprehension of human minds (like the monolith did)? Hell, they could have used some of the building designs from DoW1 as inspiration.

Edit 3: Hell, why did the Eldar even care about the necrons then? The Necrons are basically just a bunch of grumpy gits who they wrecked the shit of, not a horrible menace that threatens to wipe out the galaxy.

Yeah, I'm annoyed.
    Last edited by Salesman; 15th Oct 11 at 9:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakface
    HQ

• Imotekh the Stormlord (Lord of the Sau): The most powerful Necron Overlord currently. A master strategist whose nemesis is the Orks (since their random nature is the only thing that can accidentally disrupt his flawless plans).

• Nemesor Zahndrekh: Overlord damaged in the great sleep who still thinks he is flesh and blood fighting the war of secession against his brother Necrontyr. Therefore, he is one of the few Necron Lords who still fights with honor and valor towards his enemies. Has a bodyguard named Vargard Obryron.

• Illuminor Szeras: The Necrontyr who took the C'Tan's knowledge to do bio-transfer and actually made it a reality...so he's the chief architect within the Necrons for actually making the bio-transference happen. He is a master of technology and can augment D3 units in the army with an augmentation.

• Orikan the Diviner: A master astromancer (a Cryptek specializing in tech that can predict the future), he is renown for knowing what will happen and when. During the game he is able to achieve a 'powered up' state that gives him a greatly increases statline, but this boost can randomly end on any turn dropping him back down to his regular stats.

• Anrakyr the Traveller: A Necron Lord whose goal is to unite the Necron Empires again. He travels to Tomb Worlds still sleeping and kills the 'lesser' inhabitants that may live there unaware they are on a Tomb World, the 'price' for this service is to claim a tithe from the newly awakened legions. Some Necrons see him as a golden crusader others don't want reunification and would rather see him dead.

• Trazyn the Infinite: He is a Necron who woke very early and is fascinated with studying and collecting history. His tomb world is filled with secret trinkets including (I quote) 'a giant of a man clad in baroque power armor' (start your wild theories here!). He even will attack other Necron tomb worlds to capture artifacts from them that he doesn't think they deserve. He is the character that has the CC ability to pick one type of model he killed that round and inflict wounds on all models of that type in the combat.

• Necron Overlord: Generic DIY Necron Overlord (guy who rules a Tomb World) with plenty of options. Can ride on a Catacomb Command Barge (which is a one man transport) as can all the named 'Lords' above, but not those that are Crypteks in their fluff (Illuminor Szeras & Orikan the Diviner). Also can be a Destroyer Lord instead.

• Royal Court: 0-5 regular Necron Lords (lieutenants to the Overlords) as well as 0-5 Crypteks. Crypteks are masters of Necron technology, whose abilities sometimes appear like sorcery to other races, but they do not have any psychic powers...all their abilities do not require a psychic test or anything like that (nor are they ever referred to as psychic powers in any way). Any member of the Court (Lord or Cryptek) can be split off at the start of the game to lead a unit of Warriors, Immortals, Lychguard or Deathmarks (but only one per unit). Neither Lords nor Crypteks are ICs.

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

• Night Scythe: A variant of the Doom Scythe fighter that is a 15 model flyer transport with the 'supersonic' 36" flat-out move that the new flyers (that are really skimmers) have. Can carry jump infantry models (taking up 2 spots each) and fire all its weapons even when moving at cruising speed. Has living metal (chance to ignore crew shaken & stunned) but not quantum shielding (which gives +2 armor until the vehicle suffers its first glancing or penetrating hit). AV 11/11/11 like most Necron vehicles.

• Ghost Ark: 10 model transport, AV11 with quantum shielding and living metal. Also is able to regenerate D3 models to one unit within 6" each Necron movement phase (but cannot take the unit above its starting size).

• Catacomb Command Barge: One-man vehicle for most ICs. AV11 with quantum shielding & living metal. Can make sweep attacks over 3 enemy units it passes over when it moves. Also the character can lose wounds to negate immobilized or weapon destroyed results.
    Well when they get flyers as dedicated transports, it's worth it. And the fluff is not bad at all. In all actuallity it fits the old fluff, but from another perspective.

So now the necrons are scared of the Eldar...

Sigh.

Old necrons were bland, strategy devoided, shambling hordes of boring.

Good riddance I say.

Are the C'Tan being retconned out?

Hmm. Some of that new infantry looks cool, especially those "cyclops" Necrons.

Those ships look ridiculous though.

So Necrons have now gone from being the most dangerous threat to all in 40 K, to being like the Tau?

EDIT: Just read that Dakka link. Is all that true? Not liking the Necron new fluff at all. There is nothing terrifying about them now, or even remotely original. Yet, ANOTHER forgotten empire that is now coming back. BooooorinG! And the C'Tan are basically, the Necrons bitches???

There goes all the cool fluff like The Nightbringers ship remaining undetected in the Warp, the Emperors battle against the insanely powerful Void Dragon, etc......

29. Space Marine Senior Member Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #29
    yeaahh necrotau!!

Please tell me they have Monoliths still?

Or are they just going to have Dark Eldar like transport now??

Unless they get Chaos treatment (MONOLITHS GET THEIR OWN CODEX NOW!!! or got lost in the warp or something) Monoliths are still in, if a bit more vulnerable.

Seeing as how the Monoliths are an iconic unit, I don't think they're going anywhere this time soon.

Although from what I've heard there's a Tomb World that's basically forgot its purpose and just goes around wiping life out and assimilating other Necrons into its mind wiped collective, I guess this is what you could go with for say the previous Necrons. I think they kind of stepped the boundaries straight into Tomb Kings territory though when I really imagined it to be half lord empires and half creepy C'tan worship tomb worlds. C'tan are like Avatar shards now from what the rumours say. I like the idea of say, the Void Dragon is split up into shards that one landed on Mars (or Earth and beat up by the Emps depending on PoV) rather than just a sleeping physical god that can't wake itself up because of some limitation.

33. Tabletop Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #33
    I don't get why you guys are complaining about them being 'Tomb Kings in space' now. In case you hadn't noticed, that's what they were before. Anyone who claims that scarabs, tomb worlds, the fact the monolith was a giant floating pyramid, and a bunch of other small nods wasn't tomb kings in space is delusional. It maybe wasn't so obvious in the last codex because it was so stark on unit diversity, but it was there.

The new models are cool. The old range was, for the most part, boring and repetitive. What little we've seen of the new range averages as awesome, with the exception of Flayed Ones who don't quite live up to the quality of the rest of the range, but there's only so much you can do with necrons with pointy fingers who cover themselves in the skins of their victims, from a modelling perspective.

I haven't read much on the new fluff, but that's because I don't really care much about the fluff. The old fluff was bland and one-dimensional anyway. For players, who are the majority of GW's sales, models and rules are what convinces them to buy units and play with armies.

On the whole, it's a collossal improvement over the previous range of models, and the codex badly needed some options as far as unit diversity went.

Why do necrons need transports? The new immortal guns are awesome, makes them look more than over sized gauss flayers, but whats up with the transport O_o
    No qaurter back men, only forward or we will hold this line forever!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Row Row Row Fight the Powha

35. Tabletop Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #35
    You don't see how an open-topped transport that they can fire out of has an obviously different strategic value to a monolith that can only teleport them to it's front from within a certain range?

Great to see the necron range finally getting some good looking stuff outside of the monolith - looks like GW is moving them up to being a much more major army range rather than their old bland self (heck the early release had pretty much just lords, warrors and scarabs with a few immortals - 4 units for a whole army range). The new hovertanks and transports look very neat (the transports make me think someone was watching Phantom Menace ).

Also they've dropped those green plastic tubes from the guns that somewhat looked out of place from the previous range - a good improvement in my mind.

am i the only one who likes ALL the new models? ive been waiting for crons to get an update in rules and models for a while now, since i decided to get back into 40k. i wanted to start with them (since nids are kinda boring to me now and my ideal army would be well over $700 USD), but i couldnt take the old rules/models anymore, so i went with GKs. probably gonna trade in my GKs and get the crons when they come out.

and i like the new fluff as well. more character, less 'we are robots that kill everything'.

The monolith is a freaking god on the battle field with guass whipss flaying everywhere, and can none stop reinforce men from with in the monolth O_o. why? Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ap0k View Post
    I don't get why you guys are complaining about them being 'Tomb Kings in space' now. In case you hadn't noticed, that's what they were before. Anyone who claims that scarabs, tomb worlds, the fact the monolith was a giant floating pyramid, and a bunch of other small nods wasn't tomb kings in space is delusional. It maybe wasn't so obvious in the last codex because it was so stark on unit diversity, but it was there.
    Um, no they weren't 'Tomb Kings in space'. Sure, a good deal of the old models drew inspiration from Egyptian death-cult, not in that in-your-face way the new set does, though.
    But they also drew a great deal from that sleek Terminator-esque feel of horror, as the implacable agents of forces so utterly beyond human understanding and utterly averse to human life, even life itself; machines that walk under the dark skies of snuffed-out suns.

At least as much as they were inspired by undead from the grave they were inspired by Terminator. And to those of us who were intrigued by the latter, the new stuff seems just... wrong. They were supposed to be the silent messengers of death, now they will respect moral concepts like honour? Ally with Space Marines?

I'm sorry to say, grimdark is loosing its grim.

As it was said in one of the other posts, GW humanized the Necrons. Not saying it's bad per se; it does make it easier for players to get behind them, but it makes them also loose part of their fascination.

Grimdark? Something that is silent, soulless and without personality is not Grimdark, it is boring.
    Knife King of Doltland

I'm not surprised. Anything within three feet of you seems to end up full of knife shaped holes.

Well, pedal-boats and fancy head-dresses certainly didn't make them any grimmer.

Well how do you make a near invincible legion of metallic deathbeans grimmer? :P

Good point. I'd have expected (or at least hoped for) some development of the C'tan-business.
    Rebel of the Machines on Mars, perhaps, or the Officio Assassinorum showing some disconcerting paths of action (where do all these phase-swords come from, one wonders; also where are more pariahs then there). I'm just more into this Terminator thingy.

They went for the Tomb Kings route instead. Oh, well. Another ancient empire refusing to die. Aztec Eldar get Egyptian Necrons to keep them company. Tomb Worlds for Craftworlds. I guess, it's just a matter of taste, but those Tomb Kings Necrons i just don't get .

44. Tabletop Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #44
    They had to go the Tomb Kings route because the Terminator route is an evolutionary dead-end. You can't really take it anywhere beyond 'they're really emo and made of metal and HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE DESTROY HATE HATE DESTROY'.

That's exactly it - they were more than just Egyptians in space, they were THE unknowable horror of the material world. They would come in, silent as the grave, kill the unlucky saps they had happened to meet that day, then popped out and left fear and death behind. Even their weaponry looked unnerving - strange, sleek and alien technology that also had a hint of menace about it.

Yes, the monolith looked like a pyramid, and yes the scarabs were obviously a throwback to the Egyptians, but the race also simply had a feeling of menace and wrongness about them - even the monolith and the scarabs had this horrifying alien quality about them. Now they're just like everyone else, except they happen to be undead robots (and that is something that they are actively trying to change anyways).

----------
    @ Apok

Tell that to the Tyranids. Or the Dark Eldar. What do they have besides "Omnomnom" and "Kinky sadists in Space"?

I would like to point out that the silent wave of alien death, strictly speaking belonged to nids before Necrons (yes read the fluff nids don't scream except in the warp ). In fact boiled down Necrons were almost metal nids save for the fact that nids go nomnom right after they killed you.

Also I always saw necrons as the Tomb Kings in 40K - skeletal masks, scarabs, the Pharaoh hats of the lords a floating death pyramid

They had to go the Tomb Kings route because the Terminator route is an evolutionary dead-end. You can't really take it anywhere beyond 'they're really emo and made of metal and HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE DESTROY HATE HATE DESTROY'.
    Can't they do both, be terminators and tomb kings. Q_Q please? Well as long they stay as living metal robots, i guess i be happy, but if the Necron lord start saying cheesy one liners i will cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ap0k View Post
    Is that so?

I mean, I see what you're saying and it seems plausible at first look. But from the (old) fluff it seems clear that the C'tan who effectively rule the Necrons supremely are less than friendly towards each other. If the 40k timeline were, god-forbid, advanced, and the two other fellows showed up, it's conceivable that there could be more elaborate schemes than HATE HATE KILL KILL (actually not sure bout the HATE). I mean, one of the guys is called the Deceiver, right?

Their ultimate goal may be the boredom of the death of all life, but how they get there need not be boring. After all, the goal of rebuilding one's empire isn't the newest thing either.

Diversification could come from the Necrons respective affiliation. You serve the Dragon? so you get giant killing robots as across the Imperium the Forge Worlds revolt. Nightbringer - sleek agents of death, as it turns out that the Assassinorum's operatives are even less human than believed.
    I'm sure one could come up with more ideas that would make an interesting faction, without retconning out basically all of their present canon.

To me, 40k is about over-the-top, big, bad evilish-ness, and the tomb king's 'sensible' kind of evil approach squanders that. Maybe they could make them work, I dunno, but what I've read so far is less than thrilling.

Probably but it reduces model personification - this whole move to a more personality driven Necron army with the option of alliances is probably just to help merge fluff with what actually happens in real tabletop gaming; with characters/lords having key personalities and players holding alliances and the like -- because ( as said above ) at the end of the day 40K is a tabletop game with fluff not a fluff with a tabletop game.

Well, we can always say that before the necrons was just waking up so they had morning sickness where they was grouchy and being anti social and now that some of them are fully awake they can now be more flexible in things they say and do... *rofl* I almost had my self fooled, who would actually ally them selfs to necrons? Really, they are worse than chaos when it comes to letting their allies live. Who be silly enough to say hello lets form an alliance destroyers lords of death and all thats living, than after wards we part ways and do whatever? O_o That is actually odd.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information