Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,700 of 2167

Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim [post-launch thread]

1. Child's Play Donor Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #1651
    Spoilers shouldn't be needed at this point.
    The game's been out for about two months. Use spoilers for main quest stuff like the Dark Brotherhood and other quests that aren't just radiant story things. Next poster to not use spoilers gets his post shouted out of the thread and a warning summoned on them.
    Last edited by Starblade; 20th Dec 11 at 8:04 AM.
    My Interceptor is better than your Interceptor.

Anyone else FUS RO DAH'd the jarl of Whiterun as he was

Spoiler

I love it how he can fly over the walls while continuing his speach, then get up and get back to his previous place... and you don't even get a bounty for that, too!
    My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Akagi_Ryu/
    Ruined:FYI on the bug fixing front a Steam patch can be applied in a matter of hours, most of which involve making coffee, chatting about the latest season of Survivor and pressing the upload button.

Spoilers shouldn't be needed at this point.
    I would appreciate spolier tags, not everybody has time to play that much. I bought it at release day and I am only level 15 now
    Me likes small bunny rabbit!

4. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #1654
    And I for one have only just started the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild, so thanks for that :/

Do what I do.
    Dont look at the thread. =P I stopped playing almost a month ago because im waiting for the mod tools so I can fine tune my experience. Still havnt even completed the game or even gone past the grey beard mountain part.

As an aside, there's a "notched pickaxe" near the very top of the Throat of the World (not High Hrothgar, but the mountain itself) that gives you +5 to smithing and some extra frost(?) damage. Only smithing enchant that can be applied to weapons, so far as I know. Just jump onto the rocks to the side of High Hrothgar and climb up. It's sitting in the rock just under the very highest tip of the mountain.
    Last edited by Zallis; 20th Dec 11 at 11:14 AM.

Hey guys, what was the patch for? I noticed steam downloading a patch and then not seeing any indication of patch notes on the steam library.

LAA switch for the official .exe. Rejoice in your ability to use the RAM you paid money for.

9. Child's Play Donor Dawn of War Senior Member  #1659
    It also fixed accents at the end of lines of text. But accents are a silly thing and ultimately irrelevant.

10. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #1660
    I would appreciate spolier tags, not everybody has time to play that much. I bought it at release day and I am only level 15 now
    Same for me, please guys - use spoiler tags. I'm working like a bugger IRL so I'm hoping to enjoy SOME surprises in the new year when my RL goes quiet.
    "Dad, I don't want to get married when I grow up."
    "Why not son?"
    "well... I think I'd rather run my own life."
    O.o
    "Thanks for that son."
    -My son age 6.

So the game just automatically uses >2GB of RAM, or I need to enable it somehow?

Yeah it uses 2gigs automatically. Its why the textures are slow low quality i think and how the game stutters alittle sometimes. Grab the 4gig modifier and jobs a good un.

13. General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #1663
    Actually Bethesda ninja'd in a patch that'll set 4GB (LAA) to standard if you have it.

That's what I was asking about (note the >2GB part), thanks. The 4GB Skyrim mod actually stopped working now, since yesterday's patch.

All in all, I'm pretty surprised nobody mentioned this baby yet.

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1601

Tytanis, a pretty fitting name.
    It's incredible to find a mod that is patched as often as this one and with so many crazy stuff in it. Summonable Mammoths and Sabertooth mount? Hell yeah much? And there's a Dragon mount in the works as we speak.

Pretty sure I already mentioned Tytanis in one of my previous posts.

I'm waiting for the Construction Set before I install any mods beyond texture replacers or the odd armor/clothing mod. Without the Official Construction Set as a background for many of these mods, it seems too much a gamble to risk the loss of a character I could spend dozens, if not hundreds, of hours on. Hell, in past games, mods made with the Official Construction Set have screwed people over, so these ramshackle mods are a no-go for me, no matter how good they look.

Oh and while we're talking about hideously fuckin' your game up. Here's an interesting project:

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3592

Yeah. Skyrim. Online. I image it's a horrible mess like the attempt to make Oblivion online was, but supposedly it is working. While I'm dubious about the odds for success, the possibility of turning Skyrim into a co-op game is... pretty damn alluring. It might be worth watching for a more refined version some time in the (presumably) distant future.

18. Child's Play Donor Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #1668
    Its why the textures are slow low quality i think and how the game stutters alittle sometimes.
    Actually, one of the few things PC gamers get to legitimately blame consoles for are the lower quality textures. Don't expect that to get much better for ports until the next generation comes out in two or three years. We'd be in the next generation of them already but you can blame the Kinect and the Move for extending their lives.

e: And before someone tries no this doesn't mean you get to start some PC superiority shit in here.
    Last edited by Starblade; 21st Dec 11 at 10:44 PM.

Such a meager complaint for PC users, honestly.

Texture replacers are a dime a dozen for Elder Scrolls games and it is quite surprising (and sometimes disturbing) the amount of detail people will go into re-texturing even the most mundane of objects. Just look through all the 'HD' re-textures already available for Skyrim. Everything from bodies, weapons, and even rocks and pottery are given high quality re-texturing jobs. It's only a matter of time before a mod like Qarl's Retexture Pack comes along and re-does the entire game in high quality textures that will assure your game's self-destruction.

Well to be fair, the detail on the faces (specifically the way shadows fall) in Skyrim is quite horrible. Sometimes they have this weird blocky thing going.

There's a mod made specifically to undo the blocky faces, Akranadas.

As well as a realistic light mods. Looks pretty damn awesome if ya ask me.

@Nalkor: Gosh, apologies then, must have missed that one ^^;

Actually I would say most light and texture mods make the game look ugly. And all this bitching about low quality textures that you don't even notice unless you actually deliberately look for them. I honestly believe that Skyrim is one of the prettiest games this year, much more then this Battledust: 3 Times the Bloom and Camera Flare, or Make My GPU Cry Engine.

The HD texture packs are a blessing. Battlefield 3 has much better terrain and water textures than vanilla Skyrim, even in ultra. They have improved the immersion and awe factor significantly. I haven't tried the light mod but it sounds intriguing and may make things even better!

Once the Creation Kit is finally released in Jan the amount of mods for this game is going to be staggering. I must have a good half dozen already and the quality is pretty impressive.

Skyrim is pretty.from the awe inspiring artwork masterfully brought to life.

Bf3 is pretty for its incredible technology brought out with phwoaaah 'this is a GAME' factor.

Different types. HD packs in Skyrim just try to bring in the tech wow. Then it is truly gorgeous.
    Knife King of Doltland

I'm not surprised. Anything within three feet of you seems to end up full of knife shaped holes.

I'm still deciding if I want to try out the newest light mod (can't be bothered to look for a link at the moment), basically it makes the light really realistic... to the point where if a dungeon doesn't have a light source, it's almost pitch black. On the other hand, the staff of magelight might finally find some use in such an environment.

27. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #1677
    Beware of Zombified Terrorists Langy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalkor View Post
    There's a mod made specifically to undo the blocky faces, Akranadas.
    Doesn't actually work - it's not the faces that are blocky, it's the shadows, and nothing the mod changes (facial normal maps, I believe) can alter the way the shadows are cast, because it's not a function of the textures at all, but of the way Skyrim renders shadows. Which is badly.

@Akagi: And there's you know, TORCHES.

Although, playing a sneaky character like mine without some kind of night vision would be a major PITA.
    "All power demands sacrifice" - Sindri Myr

Do vampires still have Night Eye? I'm fairly sure they removed the spell (along with boatloads of others), but I seem to remember hearing vampires have a see-in-the-dark ability like in previous games.

*Edit*

Behold, the power of Wiki:

Apparently Vampires still do get a see-in-the-dark ability similar to Night Eye. The actual spell Night Eye was removed from the game.

The more I learn about magic in this game, the sadder I become. The amount of spells and effects they've removed just from Oblivion is depressing. That's not even mentioning how bad it is compared to Morrowind's magic system.

I don't know, makes the Khajiiti and Vampiric powers more unique, and if you need to see in the dark as a mage, then you use magelight, same as a warrior would use a torch.

Morrowind's magic and crafting systems, while very rich and differentiated, were pretty much what made me bored with the game - after figuring out stuff that just made you auto-win every fight, I lost interest.

What about Nightblades? Using Mage Light seems rather counterproductive to their entire purpose.

I honestly don't get the argument about balance in a single player game. If you want to exploit the system, you'll only be trolling yourself. So if you find something boring (like one-shot spells in vanilla Oblivion), then don't do it. That doesn't mean all the effects should be toned down to better balance the game.

Newsflash: the game is still horribly imbalanced and you can still one shot people quite regularly if you choose to do so.
    Last edited by Brenil; 22nd Dec 11 at 4:42 PM.

@Malachi - Which makes absolutely no sense. Give someone a bit of time in near-total darkness and their eyes will adjust to it. It won't be night vision or magelight, but it's actually unrealistic lighting insofar that your vision won't adjust and stays in a binary state. Give me unrealistic lighting so that my assassin characters can actually see. Plus you'd expect Thief's Guild and Dark Brotherhood armor to have enchantments for permanent Night-Eye in a 'realistic' lighting mod.

Don't get me wrong, I also don't put much value in balance in a singleplayer game (as proven by a multitude of my posts in various threads here), but somehow, in Morrowind, it just got to the point when I, denying to deliberately gimp myself, just stopped playing due to lack of challenge.

Now, Skyrim doesn't do that to me. Granted, I'm staying away from crafting and enchanting perks for my first character, but that's not deliberately gimping myself, since my planned character build didn't involve them.

But, all in all, it's not just about Nightblades - all non-vampire non-Khajiiti Assasins and Thieves are equally fucked, so yeah. If the game's dark was actually dark, there should be something like night-eye. But currently, it isn't needed. I play at about half of the default brightness level, and find it rather ok, in the real dark dungeons I can't see everything, and so I just use a torch or something to explore once I killed all the enemies in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalkor View Post
    @Malachi - Which makes absolutely no sense. Give someone a bit of time in near-total darkness and their eyes will adjust to it. It won't be night vision or magelight, but it's actually unrealistic lighting insofar that your vision won't adjust and stays in a binary state. Give me unrealistic lighting so that my assassin characters can actually see. Plus you'd expect Thief's Guild and Dark Brotherhood armor to have enchantments for permanent Night-Eye in a 'realistic' lighting mod.
    The balance in the game is rather silly. Altmer (as an example) get obnoxiously useful bonuses that automatically makes them better mages than everyone else (or are useful even if you are not a mage), what do the stealth class oriented Khajiit get? Night eye and H2H bonus. Given, the balance is actually a lot better now than it used to be in Oblivion and Morrowind where it was not even worth picking mage unless you went altmer (or abused the custom spell system), but it is still bad.

The Altmer bonus is better than simply playing as a Breton? 25% magic resist, right there, from the gate, for free? My first char was Imperial and was getting utterly dismantled by the harder mages I encountered until I mastered enchantment. My new Breton, not so much. Of course, I know a bit more about the game the second time through, but upping your resists really turns you tanky to pretty much anything in Skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinZed View Post
    The Altmer bonus is better than simply playing as a Breton? 25% magic resist, right there, from the gate, for free? My first char was Imperial and was getting utterly dismantled by the harder mages I encountered until I mastered enchantment. My new Breton, not so much. Of course, I know a bit more about the game the second time through, but upping your resists really turns you tanky to pretty much anything in Skyrim.
    I was speaking specifically about magic specific bonuses... Breton is just all-round OP, you cannot go wrong with 25% magic resist, espially if you top it off with the alteration perks or that shield perk that throws on an additional 30%... thats 55% passive magic resistance -before- you factor in any armor or weapons bonuses.

37. Child's Play Donor Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #1687
    The amount of spells and effects they've removed just from Oblivion is depressing.
    I, too, deeply miss Drain Personality.

Without it how else could you do Namira's quest in Oblivion, Starblade? Hmm?

Other than being ugly. Oh... I see.

39. Child's Play Donor Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #1689
    I'm pretty on the inside.

40. General Discussions Senior Member  #1690
    Not to be a party pooper but I finally played this game and I got to say it's easily the biggest disappointment of the year for me.

Storyline is mediocre.
    Dialogue is poor.
    Combat is run-of-the-mill.
    Animations are horrendous.
    Graphics are ok.

So, in essence, I find all the core game mechanics to be a 6/10 at best. The fact that the world is huge doesn't make the game awesome. It just makes it hugely mediocre for me.

It's simply a matter of if you like Elder Scrolls or not. If you do, this is probably the best Elder Scrolls to date. If you don't, there's noyhing to see here.

RE: Balance. As I already said somewhere, there is no need of race balancing in a single player game. Technically, you can treat race selection as another layer of choosing a difficulty setting. You can see it as a representation of mother nature being generally a bitch and not distributing her gifts equally.
    Last edited by Malachi; 23rd Dec 11 at 1:03 AM.

42. Child's Play Donor Dawn of War Senior Member  #1692
    You want this patch. I'm not calling it a mod because it doesn't mod anything, it patches the completely-unoptimized lighting and rendering calls that are heavily used inside cities. Performance gains are up to 10 FPS/50%. I didn't get anything quite that impressive, but it still made, say, looking across Markarth or enjoying the view from the top of Dragonsreach massively better.

Also, since you're going to be using SKSE for the above patch anyway, you can install this amazing UI mod. PC-appropriate font, a search field, icons, no pointless scrolling, so awesome.

43. General Discussions Senior Member  #1693
    I'll definitely take a look. Thanks Maktaka.

That 'patch' apparently breaks various scripts in the game. So no, you don't want it.

Oh wow, great the above mods made my game display a $ sign before every single word in the menu. Even after uninstalling them.

Nah, I'll stick to the few essential ones I've been using until the CK is released. *proceeds to veryfy game data and reinstall mods*

[edit:] OOOK, that DIDN'T work! Warning, the abovementioned "patch" can fuck up your game to the point of full reinstall, apparently.

I fucking hope my saves are going to be ok.
    Last edited by Malachi; 23rd Dec 11 at 2:11 PM.

46. Child's Play Donor Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #1696
    You should probably stay away from most mods that aren't texture/audio swaps until the construction kit is out.

Ehh... Steam servers are too busy to patch Skyrim up for me, and so it is "unavailable". No Skyrim for me tonight, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Ehh... Steam servers are too busy to patch Skyrim up for me, and so it is "unavailable". No Skyrim for me tonight, it seems.
    http://memearchive.net/memerial.net/...liday-sale.jpg

49. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #1699
    Beware of Zombified Terrorists Langy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Oh wow, great the above mods made my game display a $ sign before every single word in the menu. Even after uninstalling them.

Nah, I'll stick to the few essential ones I've been using until the CK is released. *proceeds to veryfy game data and reinstall mods*

[edit:] OOOK, that DIDN'T work! Warning, the abovementioned "patch" can fuck up your game to the point of full reinstall, apparently.

I fucking hope my saves are going to be ok.
    The $ issue is a known problem that mainly occurs if you don't install the menu mod properly. Re-read the instructions, specifically this section:

Problem: There are dollar signs ($) in front of all words in the main menu (and in lots of other places, too)!

This happens if you accidently removed Data/Interface/Translate_*.txt.
    The downloaded SkyUI archive contains an original version of that file in SkyUI Extras/Original Translates/. So just copy the file matching your language from there back to Data/Interface/.

Ehh... I didn't even like the menu mod at all, and I did install it directly following the instructions. I didn't "accidentally remove" any files, and I'm playing the english version.

Anyone got an idea why this problem still exists even after completely uninstalling and deleting all parts of the mod, AND veryfying files via steam? I think mods that do that should have a huge warning sign over them or something.

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread Information