Title: Homeworld Classic Enhanced
Authors: Mikali, Luke Moloney (original version)
Discussion: Homeworld Classic by Luke Moloney
Homeworld Classic Rebalance by Mikali
More maps by Mikali
Gameplay Enhanced by Mikali
This mod combines the HW Classic Rebalance and Gameplay Enhanced mods into one,
single mod, providing you with a greater number of gameplay options than either
mod alone. Development of those mods has thus stopped in favor of this one.
1) Install the Homeworld 2 1.1 patch.
2) Extract the *.BIG file into your "Homeworld2\Bin\Gamerules\" folder.
Also see the included documentation for Luke Moloney's original version of the
Homeworld Classic mod for further gameplay instructions for the Homeworld Clas-
sic portions of this mod.
You can set unitcaps to "off", which disables unitcaps and allows you to build
as many of each type of ship as desired.
Start with either a mothership and carrier (as per normal HW2), just a carrier
(as per HW1's "carrier only" rule), or with the selection of ships designed
into the level by the level author. This last option is available only for a
certain number of HW1 converted levels included with my Homeworld Classic
Rebalance mod. Further, the CARRIER ONLY mode supercedes the SPECIAL FLEETS
game mode of this mod. So, enabling it will disable SPECIAL FLEETS.
Select whether RUs are injected into your coffers every x number of seconds, or
at the beginning of play, as per HW1.
Receive a certain number of RUs for every ship you kill as per HW1. Bigger
ships mean more RUs.
Turn research on/off as per HW1. With research turned off you have all tech-
nologies at your disposal at the start of play without having to research them.
As per HW1, every x number of seconds a magical crate will appear containing
either a ship that you get to keep, some RUs or a technological advancement.
This mode enables/disables hyperspace technologies for all players as per HW1.
Feel what it was like when your parents were young and had to walk to whereever
they were going, both ways, uphill and through the snow!
1) HW2 Normal: Same as HW2 default. A player is killed if he/she has no more
production ships left.
2) Kill Team Production: A player is killed if there are no team members with
3) Kill All Enemy Ships: A player is killed if there are no team members with
4) Destroy Mothership: A player is killed if his mothership is destroyed.
5) Capture Capship: A player is killed if one of his capital ships is captured.
6) Quit Manually: The game doesn't end until one team quits and leaves the
In this game-mode, one player controls production and capital ships; another
player controls fighters, corvettes and probes; and another player controls
resourcing, frigates and platforms. If no players on a team choose the "Pro-
duction/Capital" role, then all players on this team retain their mothership,
carrier and production/research capability. If someone *does* select the "Pro-
duction/Capital" role, then other players on the team do not suffer from a unit
In this game-mode a selectable number of research options are randomly granted
and restricted for each player at the beginning of gameplay. Press the "I" key
to see which items were granted or restricted.
This mode gives the player extended starting fleet options. You can choose from
several different fleet makeups, each being composed of a different assortment
of ships and research. Note that START WITH must be set to NORMAL for this mode
This setting allows one to slow the game down to a fraction of its default
Here you can select which background track gets played while playing. There's
also a "Shuffle" option to randomly switch between different songs.
An in-game clock and timer will appear in the top-right of the screen showing
you the current local time and amount of time elapsed since the beginning of
TEAM PROGRESS METER
Pressing the "I" key enables an on-screen display showing your teammates'
current RUs, production and research.
HW1 CONVERTED LEVELS
In case you're looking for your favorite multiplayer maps from HW1, I've also
created a library of almost 250 converted levels from Homeworld 1 that are com-
patible with this mod! When playing using the "Start With" option set to "HW1
Map Default", make sure to select the same race as is set for your position
within the level file. You can see which race is set for your position by
looking along the bottom row of the thumbnail image in game setup. You can also
refer to the "Default Player Race" HTML chart included with the HW Classic Maps
archive. The player races are listed in order from left to right. When you see
"R1" it means you should pick the Hiigaran race. When you see "R2" it means you
should pick the Vaygr race.
The files in the "Data\leveldata\multiplayer\lib\" folder beginning with
"objectlist" can be reconfigured to make the gamerules work with other mods.
Simply add or remove items to or from the tables as needed, and the gamerules
will automatically recognize the new objects. The tables themselves, however,
should not be removed, or the game will break. Minimal instructions on
modifying the tables can be found within the files themselves.
You're free to use this code in any way as long as proper credit is given for
the work that I have done. See the section "Modding Instructions" for instruct-
ions on how to reconfigure the scripts to work with your mod.
• Luke "B1FF" Moloney for the HW Classic mod in its original state.
• Deionerra for dockpath info.
• LeviathanChiken for the crystals, as well as for taking interest in the mod
and furthering HWU! :)
• The Complex Team for their idea of using libraries to store the code for each
• Tamerlane for his "HW2Path" function.
• evillejedi for the beginnings of the random music track script.
• SPECIAL FLEETS mode causes the starting ships to all point in the same
direction. It would be better to retain their original facing.
• Rename all functions by adding a prefix to which game rule they belong to.
• Need to reduce JOB_DutiesList and JOB_TeamsList to a single table named
JOB_PlayersList. This table should store each player's team and job info.
• In the level files, make sure the algorithms used to produce the spherical,
cylindrical, etc. shapes produces volumes with even distributions. I had to
disable the existing code because it was causing problems and haven't re-
placed it with something new.
• TEAM PROGRESS METER should show each team member's DEFINED ROLES job as well.
• Crates don't award subsystems. (Low priority or impossible.)
• Put all the ATI display stuff into "unitcapinfopopup.lua" instead or bind to
a different key. (But how do I display the player name if it is in wide or
Unicode format? Also, how can I modify "keybindings.lua" and have it load
from a gamerule mod BIG file?)
• Some level files were producing strange *.stats files in the player profile
directory, requiring some tweaks.
• I discovered the hardcoded limit of 32 gametype settings that was causing
SPECIAL FLEETS to not work properly. As a result, I disabled the ADVANCED
STATS rule and reconfigured the IN-GAME TIMER and TEAM PRODUCTION METER to
always be enabled.
• The additional information displays can now be toggled on/off using the "I"
or "SHIFT + I" keys.
• Fixed the broken spherical resources *again*. (I guess it didn't stick last
• Fixed broken resources in the map "Empty Sphere (4)" and increased the pebble
to asteroid ratio to thin the resources.
• The vaygr ships and research were not being referenced properly. Apparently,
some code was copied over from HWU/GPE.
• TEAM PROGRESS METER wasn't showing items being researched. The
Player_HasQueuedResearch function is unfortunately case-sensitive, so the
names must be typed exactly alike in all locations.
• The "display" names in the TechList table are now more descriptive. Before,
there was no way to distinguish between carrier, MS or shipyard build speed
• Various changes to the onscreen ATI text and templates.
• Updated the WIN CONDITIONS so that they don't try and reference "build.lua"
• Fixed a few other bugs in WIN CONDITIONS introduced in the last version.
• BENTUSI ROULETTE now uses probability values to determine grants and re-
strictions much like CRATES do.
• Updated DEFINED ROLES to use the new, simpler method I developed for HWU.
• Updated most scripts to be compatible with HWU's race system.
• Display names for build/research items are now posted to the screen instead
of just the identifier strings used within the actual code.
• Fixed bug in map code that was causing spheres to only be drawn as hemi-
• SPECIAL FLEETS and CARRIER ONLY modes no longer conflict each other.
• Tweaked the SPECIAL FLEETS awards and updated the descriptions in the help
• Reduced the size of all maps by 1/4 since there IMO were too many huge maps.
• Fixed the bug causing the CPU AI not to collect resources on most HW1
• Added the additional HWC converted maps. The number of available maps should
now be in the hundreds.
• Packaged the mod in a BIG file.
• The TEAM PROGRESS METER now shows all items being built, not just the first.
• Renamed the mod from "Gameplay Rebalanced" to "Homeworld Classic Enhanced".
• Fixed the bug preventing the WIN CONDITION rule to execute properly. Games
were not ending properly.
• The lowest-level asteroid had RUs but no latch points. I removed the RUs.
• Fixed some bugs in the Vaygr CARRIER ONLY research script.
• CARRIER ONLY mode was partially but not fully disabled in the previous
release, resulting in a conflict. It has been re-enabled.
• Fixed the bug in SPECIAL FLEETS that was causing the starting fleets to crash
the game. The script now points correctly to the externalized object list.
• The SPECIAL FLEETS script now tries to determine the proper ship type before
giving the player a subsystem.
• Restored the two missing WIN CONDITION rules from HWC.
• Changed the CRATE award probabilities for destroyers and frigates.
• Combined the HW Classic Rebalance and Gameplay Enhanced mods into one single
• Added the in-game timer and clock.
• Added the "...every" rule for crates.
• Fixed the bug preventing crates from dropping rewards.
• Combined all the ATI scripts into a single file.
• Set asteroid RU values to fixed amounts regardless of how many of them there
are in a map. Prior to this, RU values adjusted themselves to better match
the total amount of RUs in the original HW1 maps, but this proved unworkable.
• Added a "crate spawned" message to the screen and made it possible to right-
click on a crate and automatically select it as a movement destination.
• Fixed the bug preventing research from being awarded to Hiigarans by crates.
• Replaced the broken DEFINED ROLES on-screen ATI text with a TEAM PROGRESS
METER that can be toggled on/off in the game settings.