Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

THQ announces working on 'company of heroes'

Oh I agree. This is definately bad news bears. I'm worried to say the least.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

2. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #102
    Minister of Propaganda Imperial Dane's Avatar
    Certainly does look ill that several people who were working on DoW 2 were laid off. Although they could have been working on DMO. Hard to determine the extent of the casualties. But not really inspiring. But no point in moping around either.

Well, I seen Apple has released a version of Company of Heroes for the Mac. It seems to be a single player only as it says it is a campaign version.

I certainly hope this isn't what they've been working on and all we'll be seeing from them. :P

-=Mark=-
    SuperMicro X9SAE-V * Xeon E3-1230v2 * 8GB (2 x 4GB) Kingston KVR16E11/4HC * HD 7950 * 700Watt SPI 80 Plus Platinum * Corsair H100

4. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #104
    Nope. That was handled by the company doing the mac port really.

We had minimal input into the Mac port and the first most of the studio knew of it was when it was released.

And yes, as noted it is campaign only and doesn't have multiplayer.

Sucks to be an Apple user then as, while the campaign was decent in CoH, the multiplayer is surely where the sweetspot is!

"I love Relic RTS games! Stand by. News to come soon" - THQ

https://twitter.com/#!/DannyBilson

Hark in that cloud younder a ray of light spreads upon the land. However when is this sooN?
    No qaurter back men, only forward or we will hold this line forever!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Row Row Row Fight the Powha

9. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #109
    A forgettable little corner of southwestern Kentucky
    He's probably just pre-announcing DoW3 again.
    I has a Blurb. And one of those Tweeter things.
    Quote Originally Posted by roflmao
    I'd run with a shotgun to go hijack a private airplane and fly to Belgium. Nothing interesting ever happens in Belgium, so there's definitely no zombie apocalypse there.

Or Announcing DoW2 for Mac

11. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #111
    I see where you are going, Akra.

Just logical sense, Company of Heroes recently ported to mac, DoW2 runs on the same engine; its cheaper than making a whole new game.

13. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #113
    Except they didn't really announce the CoH port to mac :P That just sort of went under the radar. Well i'd guess CoH 2. Seems the most obvious one from what i can piece together.

Seriously why no more love for RTS games? : <. Total war games, Relic, starcraft 2 that's it.

Seriously why no more love for RTS games? : <. Total war games, Relic, starcraft 2 that's it.
    RTS games are too slow. The game market is focused on children as they are the main buyers of games and children don't have the patience to play these games.

I imagine if the they're will be a new CoH it will be much faster game play and probably console friendly to attract more youthful player. Hopefully the games will still be challenging.

-=Mark=-

16. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #116
    Actually most of those children are grown up by now :P Anyways. There are still RTS games around. EA got Generals 2 on the way. And there is wargame out as well. Which currently has a 40% off weekend. The problem with RTS moment isn't so much that it's not popular. More that unlike most other game genres.. With a few exceptions. It's mostly stagnated.

When I was a kid I really enjoyed Red alert 2 warcarft 3 etc, I am sure RTS games will sell if they are any good. Nothing offers more repeatability then RTS games tbh. Every other game out there just throws a million unlocks in your face to keep you playing : /

True that black_ranger true that. Still crossing my fingers for earth 2170, and hw 3

19. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #119
    Don't think you should be holding your breath for homeworld 3 anytime soon.

Though i wonder what Bilson means by Soon...

By Soon he means "Look investors, we're going to make money soon. Don't sell your shares"

The game market is focused on children as they are the main buyers of games
    last survey I saw had the average Gamer age at between 30 & 37.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...mer-is-37.html
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2008/10/how...lian_gamer_30/
    http://www.theaveragegamer.com/averagegamers/

There are several thing wrong on all those articles including none of them agree with each other.

The main thing overlooked is children aren't old enough to buy them or have the money to perchase them. They have their parents buy them for them.

This is true pretty much for all markets. Think about taking your kids shopping and you go to buy something. You have dozens of chpices and normally you get the cheapest product, until your kids speak up and say they need this one and a lot of times you buy it for them since you don't really care what you get as long as it does what its suppose to.

so all those statistic you have to take with a grain of salt as their testing methods are skewered for their purposes.

Like my neighbor taught me ages ago, statistics are good for two things. Lies and statisticians jobs. lol

-=Mark=-

There are a myriad of articles & stats out there & they are all slightly different, taken from different counteries & dervived for different purposes.
    The one thing that they do point to is that the average age of the gamer is not that of a child. They all point to the average gamer being an adult, at least in age, if not maturity.
    It's been this way for a good few years now. A lot of them even do not lump gamer & game purchaser in the same group either, as obviously kids have games bought for them by parents & this would skew any "gamer" age.
    A gamer is usually defined as a person who plays a game.

A lot of these surveys include pretty much any digital game & so can include those who play on phones or Facebook games & what have you, not just Consoles or PCs.
    I think you will find that there is a very healthy childrens market out there.
    I also vaguely remember reading that the largest section of the market is the casual gamer.

24. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #124
    @Akranadas: OR by looking at the THQ store and noting that CoH has become the game of the month plus other bits one could guess April would be "soon".

Q: Been standing by for about a week(for the next relic RTS announcement). Can I sit down yet?!

THQ: No, not yet.

So this may mean the announcement is coming soon rather than later, only time will time, but its a good sign nonetheless.

http://twitter.com/#!/DannyBilson

It might, I'm not sure it signifies too much in terms of timeline. Hopefully the announcement is sooner rather than later.

27. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #127
    A forgettable little corner of southwestern Kentucky
    I wouldn't consider it a good sign until someone other than Bilson is talking about it.

28. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #128
    Well how about the fact that they've gotten a new CM for CoH ? http://www.companyofheroes.com/forum...n-introduction

As for a personal guess when this announcement would come.. Probably before may 15th where they will be presenting their quarter earnings. Not the best guess, but i think it's a good one.

Well, THQ fired the last CM for Relic, so they'd need a replacement.

30. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #130
    That's a guy that's been working at THQ from what I heard. He's just been assigned to handle Relic community stuff, not hired fresh for it.

31. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #131
    Nope. He's been hired fresh for it. Before THQ he worked at AMD. Sure you're not thinking of Sledgehammer ?

32. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #132
    Interesting... I wonder why they'd fire a CM that already knew the products, then hire another guy who doesn't know them?

33. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #133
    Relegating community management to those working at THQ to prevent close interaction/bias with the fans, would be my pessimistic guess.

34. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #134
    I'd go for centralisation issues. So they can combine things and keep the CMs close to the marketing departments and upper management. Because he seems to be interacting with fans already and seems like a nice and energetic fellow.

i liked COH-OF more than TOV. so i hope new game is developed on those lines. or mixed maybe. but surely i would hate to see sci-fi shit like tiberium wars . baaah!!

For your information, I got in touch with a Relic Employee, and they said that they're going to most likely attend and showcase something at E3. Speculate as you please, but from what I gathered, it's Dawn of War3 // Company of Heroes 2. But take the information with a grain of salt, since it's only a "likely", so it's very pausible nothing will happend. But I'm hopeful

If I could, I would have hoped for both. :-)

Note the lack of "First Looks" marker. I'd be surprised if anything was announced.
    - sincerely, the Sign Painter

That doesn't mean they can't do something where they announce it shortly before E3 and then just show stuff at E3. Kinda like Bethesda is doing with Dawngaurd.

39. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #139
    http://i.imgur.com/W0mCL.jpg There you go lads.

40. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #140
    Erhm, carbondioxide, please do notice my post above yours, lol..

41. Technical Help Senior Member  #141
    Looks absolutely beautiful. I don't usually buy PC Gamer but I'll pick up a copy and have a read. The excitement starts here!

42. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #142
    Definately awesome stuff can't wait to get more details.

43. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #143
    Yea totally awesome news. I really cannot wait for the website to launch, to get more early screenshots and other details.

Huzzah! This made my day

45. Modding Senior Member  #145
    Thanks Relic. Looking forward to dissecting and modding your game.
    "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then use the profits to buy an assault rifle. See if life makes the same mistake twice."
    When to report?

The key will be how they implement multiplayer. Also post launch support. They have to keep supporting the game with new content and a strong community kind of like SC2 or LOL. Regardless, can't wait to see it live!

47. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #147
    Well CoH's multiplayer was very strong and awesome until Relic stopped putting effort in the game, the servers and taking care of hackers/cheaters. I bet CoH2 will be way more advanced, and protected for that matter.

As far for gameplay, even in the article it's written than they don't want to go try something new with CoH2, just extend, improve and rework an already existing game, so I have no doubt the game and it's gameplay will be awesome.

Although I am excited about them going with an Eastern Front theme, it makes me sad to think that there will have to be mods made to have a Western Front theme. Gotta love the irony of that, though. It would be nice if they updated the models from COH1 and included them as playable DLC for COH2 or something. I would pay for that.

It would be nice if the UI is moddable this time around. I also hope they keep SCAR. Oh, and I hope the player count isn't reduced in multiplayer like it was in DOW2.

Thanks Relic. Looking forward to dissecting and modding your game.
    Must Have:
    1) Mod tools
    2) Skirmish against AI
    3) LAN

I am mentally salivating. Now shut up and take my rubles!

50. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #150
    eli, there's always Expansion packs to create for them!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information