DoW: SS - "Realism" Mod - By Omega Pyro and Count Bagatur

SCIENCE! DoW: SS - "Realism" Mod - By Omega Pyro and Count Bagatur

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dawn-of-war-realism

A planned mod for simple modifications, my first DoW mod and its pretty small. Here are plans, by faction. this is for true 40k fans who realised some odd things about Space Marines being weak and fast and carrying machine guns -_-

Space Marines and Sisters of Battle
    Expensive, tough and small but elite squads. - DONE
    Bolters changed to fire more realisticly (any real WH40k fan will realise that the bolters are like machine guns in DoW)
    Space Marines have more armor and are tougher but are also slower and more expensive.. -DONE

Imperial Guard
    Weak, and cheap, mass production infantry. - DONE
    Strong but expensive tanks and vehicles. - DONE
    Higher rate of fire and more accurate lasguns (according to unit type) - DONE

Eldar and Dark Eldar - by Count Bagatur
    Fast and Elite, but expensive infantry. -DONE
    Fast but weak tanks and vehicles. -DONE

Orks
    Easy to produce, cheap and tough at close combat, but suck at range. - DONE
    Vehicles are weak and cheap to buy with good speed. - DONE

Tau
    Powerful ranged attack units. Elite but expensive infantry.
    Elite but expensive tanks.

Necrons
    Small elite forces with firepower. what they lack in squad size, they bring back in firepower.
    Expensive.
    Guns changed to fire less rapidly, but with more damage.
    Immolator setup time changed and immolator gun made more armor piercing.

Chaos
    Cultists are mass produced, weak and inaccurate, but can be upgraded to have better guns (lasguns rather then pistols) and weapons training (more accuracy)
    Chaos Space Marines are elite and expensive.
    Elite Demon units cost more.

Thats it, any ideas to help me would be nice. also if we wish to help just ask.

PICTURES

Spoiler

Last edited by The Omega Pyro; 12th May 12 at 12:38 AM.

Emperor of Yu`Vath Count Bagatur's Avatar
    Can i help you sir? i have done some mods with realism for DoW games. If you want me to help you, write me PM please.
    My own mods for Dawn of War game

Red Necrontyre
    Genestealers Campaign
    Horus Heresy Operation Istvaan
    White Scars Mod
    DoW Rebalance
    Laurentian Hussars
    Dawn of Immolation
    DC Updated Campaign

co-author of:
    DoW Realism SS
    Perun Warhounds
    and a lot of other mods :)

also i was tester of Ultimate Apocalypse mod (in august 2011)

Tester and skinner of Codex Mod :)

Heavy Metal Bread Loaf PsykoTenshi's Avatar
    I can't think of something witty to put here for the life of me.
    I've fantasized with a mod like this for some time. Something giving proper bolter to marines but keeping easy, instinctive gameplay.

So, "ideas to help"...
    I'll take that as suggestions. Please note I'm utterly lame at TTRU mods, I prefer mods that keep extensive math (or whatever I'm supposed to do to not get stomped by standard AI on TTRU mods) for the player to a minimum.

Overall:
    -I assumed (based on my ideas ) that you'll make bolter rounds explosive. For all SM, Chaos, IG and SoB of course. Logically, it should be a relatively tiny explosion, which I'm unaware if it'll be possible to implement on the DoW engine while keeping balance, in order to keep heavy bolters from becoming ultimate doom.
    -Scout vehicles (such as the IG sentinel, SM land speeder, or the Ork wartrak) should be considerable faster. Or at least I'd like that.
    -I always wanted artillery to have more range. Not infinite, that transforms skirmishes into a race for who makes artillery faster. But longer, yet reasonable range? Do please.
    -More than one relic unit, more than two heavy tanks, more than... less of those ugly limits = more fun. Bigger cap of course, is always welcome. Relic units not using cap comes in handy too.
    -Bigger camera angle? Bigger battles are best appreciated from a taller view.

Chaos:
    -If going for a somewhat fluff accurate mod, Chaos Marine squads should be a bit less numerous than loyalist squads Space Marine squads, but have a bit more hp... or I think I read that somewhere.
    -Additionally, If cultists can worship the Dark Gods for extra bonuses that would add a really chaosy feeling.

Dark Eldar:
    -Afaik, their vehicles should be made as fast as the DoW engine allows while keeping the feel they're "sleek and deadly".

Eldar:
    -Same as DE, but I feel like Eldar infantry should be given more speed than their darkened relatives. I rarely play as Eldar, take that in count, but since they have Fleet of Foot and DE doesn't... Of course, this is all suggestions.
    -If the relic unit limit will be bigger than 2, limit the Avatar's population cap and production speed bonuses to prevent OP'ing the Eldar.

Imperial Guard:
    -Massive guardsmen (meaning lasgun volleys) squads. 20 or more men (as when they're fielded) squads would be nice.
    -Bombing runs. They need bombing runs.
    -Imperial Guard tanks are known for being THE heavy tanks, particularly the Leman Russ and Baneblade or their variants, but the Chimera chassis isn't that tough (at least we're talking about the Hellhound or the Banewolf or something like that). My point is that the Chimera should remain comparatively cheap.
    -The Baneblade should be a pure incarnation of the fury of the Machine God and the Emperor at range
    -I'm an Imperial Guard fan.

Necrons:
    -The monolith! We destroy that and this is over! But really, more Monoliths.
    -I'll assume that line about Necron immolators is either actually about SoB or a translation thing.

Orks:
    -Massively numerous in the case of "boyz" but get killed with relative ease. Nobz and bigger ork on the other hand, are very tough, hard to take down and deal high damage.
    -If making scout vehicles faster (the wartrak in this case), it shouldn't be really tough, specially considering its driver is completely exposed.

Sisters of Battle:
    -Honestly I don't know. I rarely play as them. More flames?

Space Marines & Tau:
    -Will edit with them later.

Nerdy post done for now

On the subject of heavy suppressive fire type weapons generally (particularly heavy bolters), I've always liked the idea of giving them a narrow pie area effect to illustrate the misfortune of being near or especially behind the targeted unit (realistically rather than to match the TT game).

you mean like in DoW2?

this mod idea was to help with people who can't run DoW2 on their computer. aka - me.
    so yes, like DoW2!
    great ideas, love the ork and imperial guard "high numbers" idea. it would make battles much more amusing!
    but on the hands of "more monoliths", you can do that already, just make another base :/
    Last edited by The Omega Pyro; 15th Feb 12 at 7:00 AM.

Well, I haven't played vanilla in a looooong time (mods forever!), but I meant more simultaneous monoliths, and restored monoliths are limited to one at the time in vanilla afaik.

Among the ideas on my looong nerdy post, I suggested set the relic unit limit to two (or if more, if you see fit), so players can access to more power at the same time, which would lead to two simultaneous Monoliths/Baneblades/Bloodthirsters/etc given enough resources.

Question: Are you planning on using nicer looking models too or (in order to improve performance) you'll keep the vanilla ones?
    Also, there are way-better-than-vanilla sound effects on mods, will those be added as well?

The Omega Pyro, have you considered using models from FoK? Pretty much all of their models look better and have expanded weapons options compared to the vanilla models.

hmm, would'nt i need to ask permission? after all, they made it. plus, i don't realy plan on adding anything new. just editing stuff.

also, can anyone tell me if its possible to edit rates of fire? i can't find the option

Depends on what exactly you mean. If you mean changing the visual fx associated with a weapon, that requires editing the fx files for the model using the weapon (under the art directory). If you mean changing how often the weapon inflicts damage, that means editing the weapon blueprint (under the attrib directory).

Omega pyro, I am updaiting Eldar race now

Any chance that I could help playtest this when the time comes?

Also, regarding Necrons: as of the latest codex, warrior squads arn't really elite anymore. Given the amount of elitist armies you're already working with, making the necron warriors weaker but more numerous might mix things up a bit.

oh, realy? never read the new codex! thanks. but im still going to keep it elite, i prefered it when i was playing necrons and it was small and elite.

----------
    Depends on what exactly you mean. If you mean changing the visual fx associated with a weapon, that requires editing the fx files for the model using the weapon (under the art directory). If you mean changing how often the weapon inflicts damage, that means editing the weapon blueprint (under the attrib directory).
    i meen, the bolter deals damage quickly currently, but i want it to deal damage heavily but slowly. i got the damage up, but not the time between each shot.

Go to the weapon blueprint under Attrib\Weapon, and edit "reload_time".

Quote Originally Posted by The Omega Pyro View Post
    oh, realy? never read the new codex! thanks. but im still going to keep it elite, i prefered it when i was playing necrons and it was small and elite.
    Fair enough . Also, what are you planning to do with fire-on-the-move accuracy? Are you planning to keep it the way regular DOW does it, or are you planning on doing it another way?

Omega Pyro, all eldar are ready.
    Last edited by Count Bagatur; 20th Feb 12 at 4:15 AM.

Added some pictures of the guardsmen

----------

Fair enough . Also, what are you planning to do with fire-on-the-move accuracy? Are you planning to keep it the way regular DOW does it, or are you planning on doing it another way?
    Fire on the move accuracy will change according to weapon and how elite the unit is. if its a rapid fire weapon it will be extremely inaccurate, if its a single fire weapon like a basic lasgun or a laspistol, it won't be as punished but will still lose some accuracy

----------

Go to the weapon blueprint under Attrib\Weapon, and edit "reload_time".
    Would i raise it for lower rate of fire? and lower it for higher rate of fire?

The reload time is the number of seconds between shots. So a smaller number is faster fire, and vice versa.

Thank you for the support so far.

Omega, lets create new units in mod.

Was talking about this and thought I'd mention it here, one TT realism feature I would like to see would be overrun/ramming attacks by vehicles. You could make very short range front mounted weapons for vehicles with a dozer blade, ramming bar, or just a solid front end that would send infantry flying away from the front end of a moving vehicle.

Im afraid im having problems loading the game to test the mod. if anyone can help it would be useful!

Problem - When i load the game, it goes to the starting cinematic and then when at the loading screen it closes. no warning or "not responding" and i have no log files.

Yeah, that means that you've got an improper reference in your mod.

To restart your game in a working mod, edit the file link in your shortcut with a "-modname DXP2" switch (assuming that you haven't modded the DXP2 mod).

As for fixing the mod, basically you just have to delete recently created files until you get back to a place where the mod starts working again, then figure out why the broken files don't work. Usually it's something like a slight misspelling in a reference to another file, if a reference is misspelt, then the game thinks your trying to reference a non-existent file and refuses to start (this can also happen if you use an existing reference in a way the game doesn't accept, but that's less common).

i don't have a shortcut to the mod. i changed it manually. ingame using the mod manager.

i'd be realy sad if the mod was to die this way. i've tried so much to fix this. i would hate to have to start over.

What happened was you did something really bad so the game can't load properly. My guess, check the racebps files.

Create a shortcut to your game and edit the command line parameter so that you can load DXP2 to make sure that's still working.

Then try reloading your mod from the DXP2. You probably won't be able to load it. So you can do one of two things. Either work backwards in time, carefully checking every file you modified after the last successful load and looking for misspelled/absent references to other files, or you can start rebuilding the mod by transferring the files according to whether they are supposed to require anything you haven't added yet.

what would a command line parameter look like. i know where to put it but not what it looks like.

I think he meant creating a shortcut to your Soulstorm executable and adding this (space at the beginning included) to the "Target" field:
    Code:
     -nomovies -modname DXP2
    So it'd look like this (it may vary depending on where you got Soulstorm installed)
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dawn of War Soulstorm\Soulstorm.exe" -nomovies -modname DXP2
    (The "-nomovies" isn't really needed, it's just to automagically skip the intro movies)

Why call such a simple thing with "complicated" terms like command line parameter?
    Last edited by PsykoTenshi; 31st Mar 12 at 10:30 AM. Reason: suffer not the typo to live

Omega Pyro, can i help you with something?

If the mod is still pretty small, and you can upload it somewhere as a compressed file, then some people might be able to help you hunt down the bug. I'm away from my own computer right now so I can't, but maybe in a week I'll be back.

Thanks for all the help people. i'll try an external shortcut and possibly delete some of my files that were added before the problem.

Im back! when the school holidays ended i had a bit less time to work on the mod and i had loads of work to do. but i can continue work on it now!

Thread Information