Computer Woes

Computer Woes

I have recently been experiencing somewhat major computer hassle. Throughout the last while it's been running slowly with frequent freezing. Las Saturday, when I was trying to install a game, I blue screened. From there, it froze up on restart. I tried to restart again and was met with a black screen saying 'no boot device available'. Since then, it has randomly been fluctuating (although, it returns to that screen more often than not) between that screen and actually starting up; when it does start up, however, it tends to freeze up quite quickly. I was thinking that there was something wrong with the hard drive at this point. I looked at the motherboard diagnostics and it gave me a 2000-0146 error code (Which I believe corresponds with the hard drive)....

I then opened up the machine and had a look inside; there are two 1 TB hard drives (Could it be that they've both failed?). I tried unplugging one and running the diagnostic and it passed; I plugged out that one and plugged in the other and it gave me said error code. I tried unplugging the seemingly malfunctioning one and tried to install Windows again; I got to the same black screen =/

I'm at a loss as to what to do at his point and I don't know if anything I have done has been correct.

Ah, help?? Any help at all will be appreciated
    If you were RAM, I'd randomly access you all night!

Star trekking across the universe. Boldly going forward, 'cos we can't find reverse.

2. Child's Play Donor  #2
    Well the error code does seem to imply that that one drive is dying.

What steps did you take after unplugging the bad drive?
    The "No boot device available" screen makes sense if you just turned on the computer, and the unplugged (bad) drive is the one that windows is installed on. As currently you have no OS installed on the computer.
    Did you try booting up with just the good drive plugged in, and your install CD in the cd-drive?
    If that wasn't working you may have to go into your BIOS and switch the boot order (it may be trying to boot from the harddrive, and ignoring the cd drive)

Thank you for the reply!

Did you try booting up with just the good drive plugged in, and your install CD in the cd-drive?
    I tried that but nothing happened. I tried to switch boot priority in the BIOS as well but I returned to the same screen . It might be that the windows 7 disk might be in bad nick, though. I'll try and get my hands on another one.

Specifically, the screen says,
    "No boot device available
    Wait for enter key to retry
    Sata 1: Installed
    Sata 2: Installed
    Sata 3: Installed
    Sata 4: None.

Yeah your description isn't really that great. Anyway here are my thoughts

hard drive failures are a huge pain in the ass. but before you say its a hard drive failure you have to rule out a problem with the board, the sata connector, the sata cable.

The easiest thing to do is to get your hands on a external hard drive case that supports a sata input and plug it into a system that works like a laptop or another desktop in the house. if the drive is fine you should be able to see all your files in windows. If the drive is malfunctioning, you will have obvious errors that are self evident. I would start there rather than mucking about with bios stuff and hard drive diagnostics. switch sata cables and see if the problems go away. if not then find a way to plug the drive into another system (either through an external hard drive case or just directly into a sata port in another system) and see if it is useable. if it is useable the issue is your mobo. if it is not useable in another system then the issue is likely the drive.

try data recovery tricks like the refridgerator trick. however likely your data will be lost.
    Apple wants to give everyone "the business."

Wow thanks, sorry I've been away for the past weekend; I'll try those tips ASAP. Thanks for the help!

Thread Information