How have you been going in DOW2 Lately?

How have you been going in DOW2 Lately?

Hello folks, as this section of the board has been real quiet lately, I thought I'd try a little something to get some dialogue going. If it doesn't work out then I'm sure the mods can just shut it down or let it die.

In this thread we talk about Dawn of War 2. Talk about what you may ask? Anything you like. Talk about the latest EPIC game you just had, a strategy you just tried out or saw another player use. A funny story about a bug you found or perhaps you want to laugh or whine about how horrible an ally/opponent you played with was.

Tell us about your favourite army skins or what race you really like playing as. Anything that comes to mind while playing a game that annoys you or makes you laugh just jot it down here and see if others wish to laugh or whine with you.

I'll start, I had a whine last night that the lictor alpha fleshooks are annoying as hell as they keep bugging out on me. Often Ill tell the Lictor to use them only to have the energy go down but the lictor will just stand there doing nothing. Anyone else have that problem?
    More fun last night was using the warlock's warp throw to counteract a wierdboy using 'get over dere throughout the match. The two slugga squads were used like ping pong balls

So hopefully something in this thread sticks and some fun can be had from it, over to you guys

I think lictor alpha hooks should go back to dow 2 version 1.0 :P where lictor alpha hooks made him the best assassin in town. It was glorious.

" FC attempts to retreat at half health"

"lictors alpha pops out of a bush and flesh hooks him"

"fc flies into the air and back down into a area flooded with horma gaunts and a warrior brood providing synasp"

"Fc dies with his hair gel style hair being the only thing left."

Sigh good times...
    No qaurter back men, only forward or we will hold this line forever!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Row Row Row Fight the Powha

3. Forum Subscriber  #3
    The main thing I can think of at the moment is unfotunately something bad and annoying. The IG setup team bug is so nasty; gamebreaking, in fact for IG. This is the bug where if you manually tell your setup team to target something, the two guys who aren't actually manning the gun run forward and melee what ever it is you targeted. Needless to say, they end up getting caught up and the guy on the gun decides he must stop firing and run in there to save his stupid buddies, too.

I am happy the FC's Thunder Hammer is useful again, though. It's nice bashing things around
    Quote Originally Posted by Octopus Rex
    Wow, looks like the Steam servers have been fully relocated to Derpastan

For the last several months my play time of DoW II has involved: make a skin/mod/something, put it in game, check how it looks, quit the game. Rinse and repeat 150 times.
    Pro-Skub, supporting the idea of new heroes for the Last Stand as DLC since 1967.
    Mod forum: SWR

I've been playing a ridiculous amount of TLS, trying to find good team mates. Unfortunately, finding people who are willing to actually cooperate is hard. Also, everyone who uses either eldritch storm or roks are teamkilling assholes. Captains with orbital bombardment always seem to take care to not hit their team mates.

Not to say that I didn't have fun. But the amount of disconnects, asshole allies and "leave but don't drop" people lately make having fin a bit difficult.

On the other hand, I had a lot of fun in the campaign when I discovered that venom cannon warriors > everything. Shortest campaign ever.

Yeah the tyranid campaign was the most fun for me due to the hilarity of venom warriors with appropriate hive tyrant upgrades. Instead of an unending swarm it was an unkillable blob of doom.

I tend to find that the best heroes don't go for the big super abilities like eldritch storm or orbital cannons. The dreadnought for instance is far superior to the orbital. TLS is fun for me in short doses before becoming frustrating and repetitive. Currently I've been using the hive tyrant. Explosive Composition and Evolution with warrior and genestealers is good times.

Well, replaying Assassins Creed 2, Assassins Creed Brotherhood and then goin through Mass Effect 3 had me not playing Retribution for awhile now... and with Rocksteady finally making their Arkham City cutscenes - including the goddamn NVIDIA LOGO - not stutter anymore with the latest patch, I think I am stuck in the realm of all things SP for awhile longer.

Still, I just have give Ra +1 about the IG HWT. That thing is just... I am at loss for words. Who the hell had the idea that it's a good fix to make the squad members default melee modells to save the "Heavy Weapons vanishes" bug? This thing really needs to be looked at... but I am afraid that we won't see anything the like in the near future... either it's THQ taking Relic down with them or Relic already doin something new and awesome to be presented at E3...
    Warhammer 40K - 2012

Blood Angels - 2nd Company: W3 T1 L3
    Dark Eldar - Kabal of the Blood-Dipped Spear: W3 T0 L1
    Grey Knights - 3rd Brotherhood: W0 T1 L1

8. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #8
    Revision everyday and ME3 the rest of it= no DOW2 in 2 weeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Starblade
    BRB renaming thread The Dark Knight Rises Along With Our Penises

Still trying to find some adequate rivals and matches, and feeling that game's
    community divided in 3000+ elo and total noskills remains.
    P.S. Vainly waiting for Apo fix and some new content...
    "power armor for pussies" (c) Duke

Usually playing as Chaos in 3v3 team automatch, having trouble vs ASM... yes I realize I could ask our balance guys for help

Last time I played was more than six months ago... made a GM mass, backed by a chimera and 3 LasHWT; since my team had map control, I just camped on our forward gen farm and, no matter what the Tyranid enemy threw on me, I resisted (reinforcements on-site ftw!). True, a Swarmlord came once and scared the beejesus of me, but he fell.

Right now, my only DoW related (in)activity is to wait for news on the next product. Maybe DoW 3, maybe a super late "Dark Crusade 2"?

12. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #12
    On the other hand, I had a lot of fun in the campaign when I discovered that venom cannon warriors > everything. Shortest campaign ever.
    Just like old times *sigh*

That's like vDOW2 MP :P

Usually playing as Chaos in 3v3 team automatch, having trouble vs ASM... yes I realize I could ask our balance guys for help
    Actually you could just ask guys here how to deal with them
    Btw, use heretics.

Am I the only who imagines DOW2 units in death matches against their DOW1 counterparts? Seems that the DOW2 units would mostly lose due to having fewer hit points and smaller model counts. But I think DOW2 Nobs would do OK versus DOW1 Nobs.

Been 2v2ing my arm off along with comrade. Great times and actually not that hard to find (in)decent competition. The swarm conquers all!
    /ThunderHost
    "The Hivemind has blinded our sensors"

A dragon's tooth in a mortal's hand, I kill, I maim, I rule the land!
    After playing through some custom games and becoming a level 16 Ork player, I've decided to go back to The Last Stand. My aim was to try and complete one of the arenas as the Lord General without dying. My best so for is completing the Blooded Colosseum dying only the once with him. The Lord General is the only hero who I haven't completed an arena with without dying.

However, after seeing how buggy his retreat ability is, and loosing a few games because of it stopping 2 steps away from my hero's current possition - essentially doing nothing but prevent me from using the ability again for a while, I've decided to go ellite with the Sorcrerer and try out all the "under performing" wargear options with him. Just tried the Icon of Change commander item. It's terrible to say the least. Throughout the whole match, it hit only 2 enemy units. One was a single Tankbusta, the other was a brood of 3 Hormagaunts. I'm pretty certain I could have forgone that for the ability to make dopplegangers of enemy commanders / vehicles / dopplegangers and not have resented it.

Mostly walking into random 2v2 -3v3 either noob bashing or teaching noobs or getting bashed because noobs on my team enjoy running into hwt faces :P. Good times.. Still waiting on you relic to roll anything out? Dlc missions, maps, hot dog stands something. New type of last stand where you protect a base. Just say something....anything..

i play dow 1 multiplayer and never play dow 2 multiplayer except TLS. I wish people will go back to dow 1 multiplayer, just have no interest in squad based multiplayer of dow2.

I've been playing 3v3s mostly (I prefer 2v2 but tend to get sucked into 3v3s by friends). I've been focusing on the lord general and his perhaps broken synergy with catachans - medpacks, and most recently, getting into a retreat path and using the grenade launcher ability (Go go go I think). Huge damage in melee, then their ridiculous ranged dps often finishes off anybody that escapes their mighty powerboots. The flack jacket ability is also great - with any cover even guardsmen can tank pretty huge amounts of ranged fire.

I've barely even touched the sniper rifle and meltagun, much less made any significant use of the com officer or the other two armors. Still a lot for me explore.
    Add me on Steam - ArbitUH. Don't EVEN bother adding me on GFWL

Where's me squig ointment reference in my sig... oh

20. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #20
    I don't use the sniper rifle but it makes things like autocannons and lascannons have insane range. Autocannon spam used to be really popular with it.

Vox Operator or Commissar member?

Meltagun is great with Catachans- their already impressive damage at range becomes crazy. Sometimes in 1v1 I try to swarm them off the map with T2 infantry- Fully upgraded Catachans+ upgraded Ogryns with Vox Operator and Meltagun. Vox operator makes the upkeep of the army much more bearable.

I use the commie because I read somewhere that he adds a speed bonus and the shield is nice. I haven't used the vox operator that much because I get the same problem I get with drop pods - they come so late they might as well be filled with body bags.

I like the idea of comboing the sniper rifle with autocannons. I'd been avoiding it because IIRC the weapon itself isn't that hot damage-wise and I never seem to have the scouting power necessary to take advantage of the range.

22. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #22
    I haven't played in quite some time. It'd be cool if we could organize some dolt games though.
    The true mind can weather all the lies and illusions without being lost. The true heart can touch the poison of hatred without being harmed. Since beginning-less time, darkness thrives in the void but always yields to purifying light.

23. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #23
    Commie also buffs the Command squad's damage. It's worth noting.

I haven't used the vox operator that much because I get the same problem I get with drop pods - they come so late they might as well be filled with body bags.
    Don't use it in the middle of combat if the guy is wiping your shit. If need be just use it back at base so you can get back into the field cheaper and quicker than your opponent, which is a great enough advantage in itself if he doesn't counter all your infantry.

Hmm, guess I had that wrong. Looks like the commie grants 15% increased damage as you say but the vox operator grants +1.25 speed. The sarge also grants 15% health... I didn't know that.

Regarding the vox operator, I've felt like I'm not getting my money's worth considering the operator himself is pricey and it costs 150 req for the reinforcements. Although all it would take is 3 cats or 2 ogryns to make it worthwhile.

I had some good times last night using Move! Move! Move! + Use Yer Head on ogryns. I don't know whether the extra 67% speed goes on before or after the +3 speed from Use Yer Head, but the end result was very fast ogryns. I bet with VoT you could get banshee levels of speed out of these guys.

25. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #25
    Well the build I go for with infantry horde is 2 GM, Sent, Cats, Ogryns, (Ogryns, based on situation). That more than makes the Vox Operator worth it, considering the Vox Operator does not take up any pop cap.

Dolt games is the way to go... now that my intern job finally settled into some routine, I got time for that =)

Quick question - if I'm using grid keys (from the options menu, not a mod), is there any way to reset individual keys? I'm fine with all the other hotkeys but since I'm using an ergonomic keyboard reaching 'y' for medkits is a pain in the ass.

Just change the letter in the config file?

It looks like the config file is totally different from what the in-game gridkeys are.

The hotkey file is _keydefaults.lua, right? (not at home right now)

Yes it is. U should be able to change the letter to whatever suits you there

Haha, well I didn't notice that there is a specific section in the keydefaults file devoted to altering the grid keys. So I got that worked out.

If you guys aren't aware, the video section of Game Replays is still pretty active. I figured the site was more or less dead after they took the Replay of the Week feature off the front page, but there are quite a few vidcasts going up featuring some better known players, like pottah, Guruskippy, Nebukanezzahefs, etc.

Thread Information