CoH Website

CoH Website

It seems the loss of Noun and now Thunder and the other layoffs have already begun to be felt. The CoH site was down all day yesterday and is still down today.

Internet Explorer does not even find it and Firefox says "The server at www . companyofheroes . com is taking too long to respond."

Did they take the website down or is it down because they are understaffed?

You're right. Let's be optimistic and say the downtime is because they're finally updating it for the CoH2 announcement?
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

That would be nice, but I doubt that is it. If it were they would have atleast done the majority of the work back in February, I believe it was when it was down for over a week while they changed servers.

But a part of me hopes you are correct.

4. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #4
    The loss of Thunder and Noun?

I sent an note to THQ this morning about it, and it seems to be up now.

6. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #6
    Minister of Propaganda Imperial Dane's Avatar
    Site is back up. Looks like some server issue as they've had to rely on week old backups.

That's what happens when they fire everybody but the janitor. Luckily he knows how to reboot a computer.....

Celéstial
    Noun quit for another job and Thunder apparently was a victim of the recent layoffs

Yes the website is back up.

Thank you Noun, good to see you still around. You may not work for them anymore but still looking out for them!

I'm not surprised Noun (or anyone else) quit. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Noun went to EA, from the sounds of it he is better off their. Have not heard anything about Thunder.

11. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #11
    Thunder was laid off in the recent Relic layoffs.

'Noun went to EA'

Better the Devil you know?

13. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #13
    It's a shame they keep losing great community managers/employees to EA... Those who have been around will remember Buggo, she was awesome too.

No offense Noun, I hope you'll have a great time there, and I hope that you will hop by from time to time.

Buggo's at Microsoft. I never met her, but she helped me get my job at Relic.

15. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #15
    Buggo's great.

More on Thunder, he got his layoff notice the day before he left on Vacation :-(

I guess THQ's doing the community stuff out of California now, so no one directly on site at Relic doing Community "management" .

More on Thunder, he got his layoff notice the day before he left on Vacation :-(
    Sounds familiar...happened to a couple of co-workers at my last job. I was let go a month before I was to go on vacation myself. Where I worked it was always on payday too before everyone went home for the weekend

@Noun: Glad you were able to do a controlled exit as it were. So what are you doing at EA anyway?

Thunder was laid off in the recent Relic layoffs.
    I know Thunder was laid off, what I mean by "Have not heard anything about Thunder. " was I haven't heard anything about or from him since the layoff.

he got his layoff notice the day before he left on Vacation
    Kind of takes the fun out of the vacation before it starts doesn't it?

so no one directly on site at Relic doing Community "management" .
    At the moment, no. Some member are talking anarchy.

18. Company of Heroes Senior Member  #18
    Minister of Propaganda Imperial Dane's Avatar
    Some members need to be careful >.>

@Mirage Knight: He's working with EA sports.

@überjumper: Ouch

I aware of one reason why the games industry is short of cash and that's piracy. I wish everyone would stopping being a thief/bleeming pikey/twat and pay for your games. Folks need to earn a living.

Well that out the way I'm going to support Relic anyway I can and IF they need any of my skills to help the community for the COH greater good I'm in! Click for Victory!

To elaborate, piracy results in a percentage of lost revenue. Instead of gamer X going to a brick and mortar store or logging into a virtual store and paying a set amount for a given title, they instead grab that title via bittorrent or a warez site. That being said...

I wish everyone would stopping being a thief/bleeming pikey/twat and pay for your games. Folks need to earn a living.
    I approve of this statement

The problem is that for most folks, there's not enough incentive to NOT pirate software. It seems that people who tend to pirate don't care too much about what effect their activities are having on the gaming industry and the people that keep said industry running. The subject of addressing piracy ought to be left for a different topic though.

On topic, I hope this round of layoffs doesn't wind up affecting Relic's existing projects, including COH2

21. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #21
    The subject of addressing piracy ought to be left for a different topic though.
    Yes, it should. No more piracy discussions here please.

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
    heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but 'That's funny...'
    Isaac Asimov

Thread Information