New Line of Citadel Paints

New Line of Citadel Paints

So I guess Games Workshop didn't like something about their old paints, as they went and overhauled the entire paint selection, including washes and technical paints. There are still equivalents for the old paints, plus some new colors as well as stuff like texture paints which have grit mixed in. They have split up the new paints into categories based on the intended role of the paint, such as basecoating, layering, or drybrushing. The new line still isn't out for a few more days, but has anyone had a chance to preview it in a GW store? All the marketing is trying very hard to make it sound revolutionary, and some of the new products sound nice, but I expect that the new paints will mostly work the same as the old. What do you guys think?

I haven´t tried out the new paints yet.
    I was and still am somehow skeptical and confused over these new paints, but at the same time I am happy and excited over all the new paints that are coming, since this also gives us many new colours to use and may give us many more possibilities.
    Also nice to see what kind of technical level some of these new paints are in, paint that are quite unusual to what you have seen earlier.
    But one thing I still think is a missout though is that they are still using the same pots. Why couldn´t they have released this exciting new range (most of the colours) in bottles like Army Painter´s & Vallejo´s paints (well, the design could be slightly different) are coming in?! That I find a bit annoying.

The only thing i find annoying is that they changed the names of the old paints yet kept them the same colour (I just know what paints i need and am not looking forward to going to a GW store only to look at the new paints all confused with no idea of what the olds one are that i need) But i do like that they have expanded the series and have added glazes and such to the mix. Im really looking forward to trying those out

Lok, supposedly all the colors are reformulated and none are exactly like the old ones, so keeping the names might lead to confusion to people who purchase a new one thinking it will be identical to the old one. However, they did make this chart to help you find what's most similar. They did end up throwing out a bunch of good names; it's going to take a lot of getting used to the new ones. It doesn't help that some of the new names sound related to old ones, but are actually paired to a different color.

Ah i see. Cool.

The fact that there is no longer any such thing as "Chaos Black" or "Ultramarines Blue" scares me slightly, I must say. But the new range looks quite cool.
    Apparently Margaret Thatcher just died of some exceptionally strong NORD WOMAN? > dies - robot me

Let's sail in this sea of charms
    Let's drown underneath the stars

I must say I'm cautious about this. I liked the old ones, and dislike being told that certain colours must be used in certain ways. Having all the colours the same consistancy meant any could be used for any purpose. What if I want to do a basecoat in one of the drybrush shades?

I'm willing to be convinced, but I'm also glad I have enough paints in all but a few colours to do what I want with my armies.

The chart in the back of white dwarf will be a godsend though. And I will be perusing the shelves in WHW as it appears a jade range may be making a reappearance, and I really miss jade green...
    My homepage

There are 2 rules to being a success in life:
    1. Never give out all the information.

I must say I'm cautious about this. I liked the old ones, and dislike being told that certain colours must be used in certain ways.
    Noone is saying such things about the new paints that you have to do that.
    I like the old ones too, but I am also excited over the huge new range, and the sheer quality over them. Haven´t tried out myself these new paints yet, but will certainly buy some pots soon, and also will I stick to my now old paints till they are empty.

Actually, yes they are. The shades they are selling as drybrush pigment are only available as such. The basecoat paints have a different formula to the layers. So what they are saying is those shades are to be used for those purposes only. Knowing the guy who helped formulate this range, that's exactly what he's saying.

To be honest, there's not much different to the previous paints / foundations in that respect, onl they didn't say the foundations were only for basecoating, they *implied* it, which is different.

I'm not saying what they've done is bad or in any way wrong, it's wonderful for most of the younger or newer painters out there and I'm sure I'll adapt. I'm just saying it gets my hackles up, and I really hope any colours I need to replace are not in a format that limits their use.

----------

Basically I'm being a grumpy old sod. Having spent 8+ years painting professionally with the old range, change won't come easily or quickly.

luckily, I have huge stocks of my most used colours ;-)

10. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #10
    Because I don't exactly follow TT trends anymore, what happened to my Jade Green? It was a staple of my Warpstone colouring
    My blog! (updated 18/09/14: Why Java Ain't Bad)

I tried a few of the newer paints. I'm not that impressed, but neither am I disappointed. As a caveat, however, I am not one to mix paints to get different colors, so my painting workflow is pretty simple: Basecoat, Color, Drybrush, Wash.

Some of the Base paints don't seem as opaque as the Foundation, at least over a black undercoat. Where before I could go one pass with Mechrite Red, I find I need a second coat of Khorne Red. Same comparison was found between the old Tallarn Flesh and the new Ratskin Flesh. Perhaps these colors work better on a lighter undercoat, but right now I only have black primer. One Base I am happy about is the new Balthazar Gold. It seems to have decent coverage and lets me build up shiny gold layers as needed, whereas before I needed to paint on a layer of tan or brown.

The Layers are nothing to write home about. It's fine to have a greater selection of shades, but since a majority of us already have a stock of the older paints, we probably won't see much use from this line until we have to replace pots.

I am delighted with the Dry paints. I like to dry brush my miniatures as a way of highlighting them, and not having to wipe off excess wet paint from my brushes is a time-saver. This line is the one I am most pleased with. My one complaint, though, is the lack of selection, like if I want a "redder" highlight.

The Glazes and Shades are nothing to write home about. It appears to have the same consistency and color as the previous washes.

All in all, I find little needs to be changed with my painting workflow. If I need a specific color, I guess I now have more to choose from, but for my current projects I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything if I stick to my stockpile.
    Hann var sær á leikvøllum
    Imillum manna herjar
    Rívur upp eikikelvi stór
    Hann lemjir summar til heljar

Im currently using the new paints to do a Grey Knight Strike Squad and their Razorback transport and im having fun. Doing a different sort of colour scheme than the traditional Silver but so far ive found that they are very good.
    Beware The Shadows.

13. Tabletop Senior Member  #13
    Professional Gunman Dooks Dizzo's Avatar
    The new paints are fantastic. Tabby, you really need to get your hands on some of them to try them out.

I am using the dry brushing pigment mixed with a drop of another paint to come up with some amazing effects. There is a white pigment that you can pretty much mix anything else into to make a new color. The pigments apply glass smooth.

The bases cover amazingly well for the vibrancy of the colors. Memphiston red is a base but I am using it as a layer over khorne red and loving the result.

The Glazes and Shades are nothing to write home about. It appears to have the same consistency and color as the previous washes.
    This just isn't true at all. Glazes are brand new and open up all kinds of new possibilities. Using a yellow glaze to mix into my yellow mid tone I got a much richer effect than I had previously. They also hide brush strokes.

The new shades run considerably better than the old washes, which some people may actually not be all that fond of.

Now admittantly running a store I have had more access to the paints for longer than most people, so I will have a bit of a different take on them.

Hmmm....

Well, I do have a birthday incoming, vouchers to spend and golden demon entries to paint...

Dooks: if you were to recommend five things to test out, what would they be?

Grumpy I may be, but no-one can say I'm not willing to be convinced. If my three-year old can convince me to crawl down pitch black tunnels only just wide enough for my hips, I'm sure I can be convinced to try a few new paints...

15. Tabletop Senior Member  #15
    First thing to try out is Ceramite White. It is hands down the best white over black coverage that I have ever used. It's about 1.5 coats over black to get a very nice effect, though you don't want to water the paint down like you normally would.

Mephiton Red base color is next. It's vibrant like blood red, covers like mechrite and doesn't turn orange when it dries.

Texture paints. All kinds of applications here. Basing your models is just the start. Putting mud/dirt onto tank treads just got super easy and no mess. Adding things like grass tufts or even covering up the join line on resin pieces looks better than ever.

Dry paints. I personally feel that there is a world of opportunity here. I've been adding a drop of bestial brown to the necron compound dry paint to get a 'dirty' metalic color on my orks. They also happen to work for dry brushing

Glazes. These are the trickiest of the lot and I feel requires a higher level of painter to get the most out of. They work wonders for blending or adding a bit of a tint to something. I am getting all kinds of depth on my yellows.

I haven't been using a ton of shades in my current projects but the new yellow and orange has me all kinds of excited. I've also been working with purples quite a bit and not having to do 3 mixes of kommando khaki to get some gradients into my purple is frigging awesome. I've been using the master class paint plan for the ork warboss and the base brown is 50/50 khemri brown/scorched which makes this really cool pinkish brown color. We now have Bugmans glow which looks like that exact color.

The paint system of base,dry,shade, layer is absolutly fantastic for new painters. The range of colors and new materials are going to be a boon for expert/creative painters all over.

I shall make a note of that list, and try and spend some time in WHW this week having a look. One of my planned entries will have red armour so I'll invest in the new reds wholesale. I have a tonne of the old old glazes (turquoise glaze was brilliant) so I'll look at those specially.

Thanks Dooks :-)

17. Tabletop Senior Member  #17
    No problem! I am looking to enter a squad of badmoons into Chicago Golden Daemon this year and I am stoked about the possibilities. All the new yellows are blowing my mind.

Good luck with that! I'm entering GDUK this year, so if these make my life easier it'll all be good.

19. Tabletop Senior Member  #19
    I will be entering into the open catagory (staff aren't allowed anywhere else!). It's just been a blast working on these projects. I'd love to see what the new paints do for you.

20. Space Marine Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #20
    Black Scottish Cyclops Brother Wolf's Avatar
    Dakka has updated their paint chart for those desiring a view of the new to old and citadel to non
    http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Pa...tibility_Chart

I guess I may be trying out the new paints sooner than expected. As I prepared to pack my kit bag for the office this week and get back to painting on my lunch breaks, it would appear that yet another GW pot has dried out, (I'm looking at you Iyanden Darksun from the Foundation range). I have taken to migrating fresh GW paint to dropper empties when I think about it, but I feel certain that I won't be buying any more sets. Rather I'll just buy what I need at that moment, (which sucks because sometimes you just want to try something out new right away and not having another colour on hand means having to wait). While my VGC oranges & yellow do have a tendency to separate if left unshaken for too long, they don't outright DRY like my Citadel colours do. Grrrrr. Worst case I can use them as a wash or glaze, as opposed to a paperweight.

Still, I will say that the Foundations and P3 base colours have been excellent base coverage paints, jump starting most colours that take forever to get started. Hoping the Citadel base colours will continue the same.
    W00T! Yarrgh-book 2010 (shameless)

TT on C-A-D,
    01Dec to 15Dec '10 (most current story arc)
    06Feb, 26Mar to 29Mar '08. Bowling ball, FTW!
    30Oct to 11Nov '06
    Warning: Forum, LOL.

I could have sworn I used glazes from Citadel before; maybe I was thinking of something else, hence my comparison was off. I do know that washes are similar. I'll have to revisit the Bloodletter Red glaze I was using.

I'm very interested in trying out the Texture paints. Is there a certain brush I need to apply it for basing for best effect?

Had a chance to sample the Dry and Texture paints down at the local shop. I'm no great painter and have struggled with paint consistency for drybrushing, but the Dry paint I tried seemed to work pretty easily. Texture paints seem interesting and should make simple bases a bit easier, and may be useful for textures like rust on models.

From my (very) limited experience CancerMan, it seems like you'll want to use a fair size brush and try to cover the area you want in a few brushstrokes as possible. If you brush too much in an area it clears away all the grit you placed down and defeats the purpose of having the special paint in the first place.

23. Space Marine Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #23
    Black Scottish Cyclops Brother Wolf's Avatar
    I've been using Liquitex texture paints for ages. Big ass tub for cheap, drop in a bit of colour like scorched brown, slap it on, drybrush bleached bone and voila, snazzy base! Much cheaper than GW's options, but still I must applaud them for finally figuring out how to capitalize on that trick.

Got my copy of the How to paint Miniatures book w/DVD.
    Haven´t read the whole book yet, but very nice and good reading so far. Easily explained and tons of good pictures.
    Had a quick look at the DVD that followed with it as well. Would be nice to have some more & better closeups of the actual miniatures/details that were painted. Wished they could go in a bit more detail on some areas. But overall very nice.
    What I did NOT liked about the DVD was the fact that it was a very annoying background music playing the whole time. Wished it was an option to turn off the darn music. Not necessary at all. And why couldn´t the actual person who sat there and painted talked himself? Why making the voice over after the video is shot?
    Other then that, I know I will be using the new painting guide a lot.

25. Tabletop Senior Member  #25
    The only problem I am having is that my yellows are coming out much smoother and more vibrant using the new paints...

Citadel did do glazes before, but it was back in the days of the tall hex-pots. I still have a load, especially the turquoise.

I shall be getting my new stuff to test soon, likely this weekend. I use a lot of white on my Sisters, so hopefully the ceramite will be useful. Don't like the idea of it being very thick though, as that limits mixing potential...

SilverTabby, I´m sure you will find the new paints to be very good, and better with a bit of time. I think I´m gonna be too with a bit of time. Most ppl say that these new paints is some of the best that Citadel have ever produced. And I am also very excited over many of the new paints too. I will stick to the now old paints till they´re empty, also bought some of the now old paints today for half the price, to replace dried out paints that I have, but inbetween I will surely buy and try out some of the new range.
    And I´m impressed over the Dry Compounds and Texture paints released.

28. Tabletop Senior Member  #28
    Now that they've been out for a bit, how are people finding the new paints? I continue to be impressed with them all the time.

Between Fiction and Travel GothicHorror's Avatar
    The new paints and How To Paint Citadel Minitures book has inspired me to paint up my Nids.

I must say the new colours and formulas make an average painter like myself a lot more confident.

,I am loving the formulas too, they are dead easy to follow and though I'm only halfway through my Khorne formula for my zeros the vibrancy of the reds on the high edges is superbly contrasted by the dark recesses. I'm eagerly awaiting time to see the finished results.

The current batch are based in scab red though, so I am also looking forward to the difference between that base and a Khorne red base. I hope the new red is dark enough!

As for the paints themselves, well I still cant highlight for suit but the bases and layers are excellent. No real need to water them down feels almost like witchcraft to me.
    Knife King of Doltland

I'm not surprised. Anything within three feet of you seems to end up full of knife shaped holes.

Ok, after reading through the Guide and buying a pack of Tomb Kings skeleton horsemen, I have decided I want to paint them using the guide. Just got to buy the paints first. Or I should go for the usual paints. Will look in the guide for the converter.

Ceramite white is a godsend for bright areas on a dark model. 2 coats slightly thinned is enough to get you a good base for some bright colors.

Well i just got back from GW after going there to buy one or two of the new paints (I wanted to see if there was one that was somewhere between dark angels green and snot green)... i walked away with about 20 after talking with the employee at the store (I think this was the first time ive listened to their active selling and not shoed them off cause i knew what i went in for xD ) Ill let you know what i think after ive tried them

I've made my list, and will be getting them sometime next week hopefully.

So ive tried the paints i got. I must say, that white base and evil suns scarlett (Blood Red 2.0) are some sort of heresy in a bottle. It actually takes 1 to 2 coats to get a clean smooth vibrant coat over a black base.. it sounds impossible... but it somehow does it.

The glazes... im not actually sure what they do.. i didnt notice any changes in hue as i applied them over other paints, but then again maybe im not using them right.

Overall they all seem to work well and go on much better. Colour me impressed :P

Thread Information