Wiki infected by spambots.

1. General Discussions Senior Member  #1

Wiki infected by spambots.

Even though no one really edits the wiki anymore, thought I should let you all know it's riddled with spam.

http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/index...al:ActiveUsers
    http://wiki.reliccommunity.com/index...arenKrieger100

We're doomed!

Although, the "stojaki sklepowe" wood polish technique does sound interesting.

2. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #2
    Moe~ money, moe~ problems Mokino's Avatar
    You misunderstand it. It's wooden Polish they're talking about.

I didn't even realize anyone was still using the wiki.

I'm pretty sure this is actually what caused the server to choke to death last weekend. Since spambots are so prevalent (and sending spam via the member signup emailer), and people to patrol the wiki are few and far between - not to mention overworked - I've been seriously considering nuking the whole thing.

I don't have the time to clean it up or even really investigate what measures I can take against spambots, so unless there's some volunteers who want to clean it up and actively alert me to wiki updates and anti-spam plugins etc... I'm all for blowing it away.

I'm sure we've been over this, but can the wiki registration be configured to require manual approval?
    Read Our Intrepid Crew, updating weekly on Tuesdays.

Chapter 1 - Chapter 2 - Start here

Or just cancel registration, manual approval would put a strain on whoever has to do it (I'm not so sure someone would want to get their inbox bombarded with spambots requesting activation). Since it's barely used, you could put it into some kind of archival state too I suppose.
    I guess day 1 DLC was too casual for EA, so let's start doing 8-month-early DLC! - Shuma
    Eagerly awaiting DoW3 with mod tools. You hear me Relic?!

No need to actually look through the whole list of registrations. Just make it necessary to send a PM to an admin to get approved, and discard all registrations that don't do that.

7. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member  #7
    Aint Moes girlfriend named Gretchen?

Seriously, please do what you can to fix this. The Wiki is a big part of our history.

Promythyus, I assume it would be done via periodic review of the control panel rather than in response to emails.

9. Child's Play Donor Dawn of War Senior Member  #9
    I'd have no problem handling something like this (validating accounts). I've invested enough time into it that I'd rather it not disappear due to spammers. It's certainly less of a time investment than spending an hour every day cleaning the wiki like I was when the onslaught first began.

On a different thought, would there be some way for the creation of a forum account to be the validation needed to create a wiki account?

10. General Discussions Senior Member  #10
    I'd rather keep it to be honest. It's got some good history for some of us newer RN denizens. It's the RN culture center .

I might write a little cleanup script. Shouldn't be too hard. I would need admin privileges on the wiki though.
    Last edited by roflmao; 21st Apr 12 at 5:53 PM.

Thread Information