Raising asbestos hazard awareness in Homeworld

1. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #1

Flag Red Raising asbestos hazard awareness in Homeworld

Relicnews has just received a very alarming email:

Quote Originally Posted by Subject: Tanis Shipyard Resource Suggestion To:admins@relicnews.com
    Dear Friends at Relicnews,

As you may know, asbestos was a very common and valued material used in the process of building ships. Companies could purchase asbestos in large quantities for less money than the other similar materials would cost. This material was good to use to line the boilers, turbines, engines, and other components because it could withstand high temperatures and corrosion. Over time there have been over 4 million workers that built and repaired the ships were exposed to asbestos.

Those who worked in shipyards who may be exposed to asbestos, should be aware of this deadly disease. My name is Sarah Anderson and I am the Communications Director for www.mesotheliomasymptoms.com. I noticed on your links page that you have listed other websites http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...ard-are-broken.. I would be grateful if you would mention our site on this page as well. Please let me know if this is of interest to you. Hopefully we can help raise awareness for Shipyard workers across the country.

Thanks again,
    Sarah Anderson
    Communications Director
    I'm just forwarding this email on so that awareness of this terrible social, health and environmental hazard can spread across the internet faster than you can say KONY2012.

2. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #2
    The links are broken according to the links page.

Linkception?
    My blog! (updated 18/09/14: Why Java Ain't Bad)

It seems the average life expectancy of your garden variety modder has just been nerfed. gg

4. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #4
    ...and when the Kamas flow... Afoxi's Avatar
    Are our shipyard staff aware of this safety hazard?

Given that asbestos is not found on Kharak or Hiigara, it is highly doubtful that our shipwrights would know of this safety hazard.
    Those who walk through the shadows, seek not the light.
    If you disagree with a moderational decision, follow this.

Kharak shipyard has already been destroyed....(not by asbestos, although the bombs could had asbestos on them). However her concern is appreciated. Now i'm wondering did navy field forum get one of these.
    No qaurter back men, only forward or we will hold this line forever!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Row Row Row Fight the Powha

7. Homeworld Senior Member  #7
    Given that asbestos is not found on Kharak or Hiigara, it is highly doubtful that our shipwrights would know of this safety hazard.
    However, since the forbidden atmospheric deprivation warheads use high concentrations of asbestos to be effective, it is beyond a doubt that Kharak has very high concentrations of Asbestos. From whatever survived the atmospheric purge and whatever threat it presents to the ashes of a dead civilization..

Fuck, you mean I've been exposed to asbestos for all these years I've been working on my secret armada?

I'm quite doomed.
    Apparently Margaret Thatcher just died of some exceptionally strong NORD WOMAN? > dies - robot me

Let's sail in this sea of charms
    Let's drown underneath the stars

9. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #9
    Quote Originally Posted by reki View Post
    Relicnews has just received a very alarming email:

I'm just forwarding this email on so that awareness of this terrible social, health and environmental hazard can spread across the internet faster than you can say KONY2012.
    At first I was like:

Then I read and was like:

I always wondered what it was the resourcers were collecting from those roids. I'd worry about compensation claims but I'm pretty sure my play-style ensured that most of the crews died long before they developed Abestos based complications.

This whole time and no one even thought to warn us until now. Typical.
    "Celtic fans right now sit in silence and watch, and hope that the damage doesn't get any worse from this Graham Carey free kick. Away by Wilson. Teale. Still options waiting in the middle for St. Mirren...OH, AND THEY HAVE ANOTHER ONE! It's stunning! It's absolutely stunning at Hampden park! And it's Steven Thompson, who scores his thirteenth goal of the season, and that might just be the goal that takes St. Mirren into the league cup final!" - 27/01/2013

11. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #11
    It's asbestos! Raise the alarm!

I've never visited Tanis Shipyard. That means I'm safe right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Starblade
    BRB renaming thread The Dark Knight Rises Along With Our Penises

Considering the Blood Ravens are a fleet based Chapter, I am sure it is safe to assume all Dawn of War fans are at risk.
    Knife King of Doltland

I'm not surprised. Anything within three feet of you seems to end up full of knife shaped holes.

How is the RN staff planning to mitigate this danger? Replacing all the forum insulation will be expensive. Perhaps issuing mandatory HAZMAT suits to new members upon joining (and handing them out to the already-existing membership)? That would be expensive too, but payments would be gradual rather than one big lump sum.
    Look at the bright side, kid - you get to keep all the money.

14. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #14
    Considering the Blood Ravens are a fleet based Chapter, I am sure it is safe to assume all Dawn of War fans are at risk.
    Fuck's sake, I was two days from finishing exams...

15. Dolt Dolt Dolt Dolt Dolt  #15
    Performing Chainsaw Surgery Wargrim's Avatar
    It you think asbestos is bad for your health, wait till you have traveled on a tyranid ship.
    1885 | Maps: DoW1: 1 2 3 4 5 - L4D1: 1 | Infinity - Gallery - My Work[/size]

16. Dawn of War II Senior Member  #16
    I fear no Space Hulk. Only the chaos of asbestos can test my faith.

17. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member  #17
    Wargrim was referring to Tyranids, not the green goblins. There is a difference you know...

Strange, I thought asbestos was something largely used in buildings from the middle of the past century an onwards. Naval engineering, go figure.
    See, I always had this thought about having a "navy" in space was weird. Having "armored cavalry" means less asbestos. Someone took a wrong turn.

This is nothing compared to the dangerous radiation we've had to suffer from disposing all the broken starboard fusion reactors.

http://forums.relicnews.com/printthr...6&pp=50&page=1

Ever so slightly out of place. Guilliman's Avatar
    It took me longer that I'm comfortably admitting before I got it..

Don't mess sunshine. OpelFalcon's Avatar
    This is nothing compared to the dangerous radiation we've had to suffer from disposing all the broken starboard fusion reactors.
    Hmmm, at least we now know what they were using to protect those starboard fusion reactors. Asbestos.

However, since the forbidden atmospheric deprivation warheads use high concentrations of asbestos to be effective, it is beyond a doubt that Kharak has very high concentrations of Asbestos. From whatever survived the atmospheric purge and whatever threat it presents to the ashes of a dead civilization..
    All that remains is the memory of war. Severed dreams, and hopes long ago gone to dust...
    I don't know what i'm talking about, ignore me.

Thousands of years ago, Egyptians worshipped what would become our ordinary housecat. The cats have never forgotten this.

Does this mean we should abandon ship and take some Taiidan ones instead? More salvage corvette then.

23. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #23
    The Taiidan were the exiles, we already took their ships.

Your Friendly Dictator Deionarra's Avatar
    As a former manager of the Tanis Shipyards I can assure you that all the necessary precautions were taken to protect our nuclear maintenance technicians from exposure to harmful substances in accordance with all regulations of the HUSW* and as subsidised by the Hiigaran interim government in the years following the overthrow of the Taiidan regime. This in no way influenced our decision to specialize Tanis Shipyards in the repair and refit of fusion reactors. I would like to assure you all that this in not connected to the substantial funds transferred to off-world bank accounts during this period this was simply a required practice to facilitate ease of interaction with our noble Bentuis trading partners who are sadly no longer with us.

I would thank this self righteous organisation for helping to spread understanding of this real and serious issue with no self interest what so ever just as we at Tanis Shipyards always promoted the ever present threat of starboard fusion reactor puncture. My heartfelt sympathy to any former dock workers who worked in the substandard conditions provided by rival shipyards and are now suffering from exposure to undocumented harmful substances such as this 'asbestos' as a result. Also spare a thought for the families of workers who can no longer afford to put food on their tables because of crippling legal bills accrued from filling faulty claims against reputable starship manufacturers.

We salute you, brave sons and daughters of the homeworld who built the ships that bought us home, saved us from the tyranny of the Vaygr and ushered us into this new age of prosperity and exploration.

*(Hiigaran Union of Stardock Workers)

Look, Kittens!

PS: Please don't sue!
    Cake can change the nature of a man!

..Fwahahahahahahahaha

Oh my sides

Oh nooooeess! Better start using polyurethane foam before any of the workers develope Mesothelioma!

I made a game! :D Clicky!

Shouldn't the Tanis shipyard workers be launching lawsuits against the Higaara fleet command for health and safety violations? Or worse....

Higaaran fleet command placed the Tanis workers in an exposed position, away from the main fleet, and only made minor concessions to ensure their safety in what was a hostile environment.

We can clearly see the weaknesses of the fleet defenses when they were disabled by little more than a few fighters and several frigates. That is clearly a sign of Higaara under-valuing its skilled workforce and not putting the necessary measures into defending them.

But, it gets worse, isn't it also true that Higaara made minimal effort in the rescue of survivors from the wreck of Tanis? Is it not true that the mother ship, the most capable vessel under Higaaran command couldn't find the time to go back and save some survivors from the high command's already discussed lapses in elementary security?

Doesn't that suggest a conspiracy? Higaaran fleet command willfully under invests in defenses for Tanis, and then lets the survivors die so as to hide the true scale of the unpreparedness. There is no other valid explanation. The mother ship found time to go wandering out enemy space, with nary a battle, but couldn't find time to rescue the skilled workers of Tanis.

That is the true crime of the Tanis shipyard, not asbestos.

Did anyone know the largest Asbestos mine is in Canada, home of Relic Industries who I believe carried out extensive contract work on the shipyards. I'm just going to leave that hanging, not to going to connect any dots. Nope. Not me.

That is the true crime of the Tanis shipyard, not asbestos.
    Maybe they were left with minimal security to deliberately entice an attack, so that the asbestos-exposed workers wouldn't have a chance to develop their work-related illnesses. All deaths could just be chalked up to "assholes with fighters", and no one would know better.

*edit*
    Anyone found a way to lace asbestos into tinfoil yet? That way your head is flame-resistant.

31. General Discussions Senior Member  #31
    Given that Relic is (deep down) a Canadian company, I am offended that you are forwarding this alarmist nonsense.

Canada has a proud heritage of exporting this versatile building and fire protection material.

You, sir, are just trying to put blue-collar workers out of a job.

Thread Information