Zone Control (Version 0.1 released ! See 1st post))

Space Marines Zone Control (Version 0.1 released ! See 1st post))

If you ever played Starcraft or Warcraft III, you have probably played Starcraft Zone Control. The purpose is quite simple, each player begins with a bunker, which repeatedly spawns marines (1 marine every 2 sec), who can be controlled and sent to your enemies. But, the main attractive thing is in the upgrades you can purchase for your troops, and above all, in which order you buy them ! You can build more bunker and take more control over the map, to create even more marines and eradicate your enemies. The original map looked like a chessboard (see here)

So, for the Dow2 version, I think I’ll use the same gameplay, but with some modifications. For example, you can build your bunkers where you want, not on a chessboard, you can play by teams, FFA… For the future releases, we could add special events, random alliance, orbital bombardment…

---------------------------------------

Version 0.1 released !
    Download here : http://www.moddb.com/mods/zone-contr...ne-control-v01

This is a very first release, which can be played against the AI (which is not interesting) and most probably against other players (I couldn't try it by myself...). It contains all the main upgrades, and a completely playable map, Dying Planet.

Instructions :
    For installation, extract the .rar file, and follow the instructions inside.
    In game, choose the Force Commander if you don't want to have old abilities (same thing for AI players), select the ZoneControl game type and select the map "6p_DyingPlanet" (at the bottom of the list).

I've made this "alpha release" so you can help me with your feedback, because I can't balance the game alone against the AI, which doesn't produce any troops...

Have fun !

ModDB page : http://www.moddb.com/mods/zone-control-mod
    Steam Group : http://steamcommunity.com/groups/ZoneControlMod
    Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/ZoneControlM...rIiRetribution

Things to do : (PS : figures may change)

I-Global stats :
    _ population limit at 100 marines, upgradable (?)
    _ killing marines give 1 /marine, losing some give 1 /marine
    _ destroying a bunker give 50 , losing one give 25
    _ basic marines have : 5 HP, 1 dmg/shot, 5 m/s move, 20 , 0% armor, rate of fire 1 shot/sec, 0 regeneration, 10 m range
    _ basic bunkers have : 500 HP, spawns 1 marine/sec, 2 free slots for shooting

II-Global abilities :
    _ dreadnought drop for 100
    _ construction of a bunker for 100
    _ troops invulnerability for 5 sec for 100
    _ troops speed boost for 5 sec for 100
    _ troops damage boost for 5 sec for 100
    _ 1 bunker invulnerability for 10 sec for 100

III-Marines’ upgrades :
    _ life, +5 HP for 10 , max 100 HP
    _ damage, +1 dmg/shot for 10 , max 10 dmg/shot
    _ speed, +1 m/sec for 10 , max 10m/sec
    _ health regeneration, +1 HP/sec for 10 , max 10 HP/sec
    _ range, +1m for 10 , max 20m
    _ force shield (iron halo) for 100
    _ energy, +20 for 50 , max 100

IV-Miscellaneous (for later) :
    _ choice of the marine’s armor at the beginning (Shuma’s models etc...)
    _ choice of game mod
    _ original maps (king of the hill, labyrinth…)
    _ heroes

Here is a first screenshot, where you can see the basic bunker, the five first upgrades (health, damage, energy, shield, range and regeneration (not shown here)), the marine's production list (1 every 2 sec), and the ability to build another bunker :

Besides, I managed to make the rally point common to all bunkers, but I need to find how force the move to attack-move... Anyway, I think this mod can be soon released, at least for the basic release...

EDIT : I think I'll soon need alpha testers, because the AI is so stupid it can't even produce marines or upgrades... And if some mapper like this mod, I won't refuse any help !

I've thought about several maps :
    * Financial Crisis : you only have a fixed amount of money, so you can't upgrade everything, and you marines don't give money when they die... Be a strategist !
    * David vs. Goliath : one player is Goliath, with more income, more money at the begining and more bunkers, the others are Davids, with basic marines and bunkers... Difficult to balance, but can be interesting to play.
    * King of the Hill : very simple, to win you have to hold a central point for a while, this need to be as well an offender as a defender !
    * Trench survival : a coop map, players must defend the line at all cost, against infinite troops... Work together !
    * Dying Planet : basic fight, but the whole planet is collapsing, with rokks falls, earthquakes... Epic battle !
    * Space Hulk : basic fight, but you can activate several doors and prepare some traps for your ennemies... Beware !
    Last edited by Dharkhar; 23rd Jun 12 at 6:43 AM.
    [Dow2] Zone Control
    Once again, sorry for my poor english .. ;)

this is brilliant man! keep up the good work! can't wait to test this mod out!

I'd play it
    Now you see, Here at the Imperium of Man. We only use, propane fueled Promethium. Thats a flame burning heretic i tell you Hwat!

That's good to hear
    More upgrades done : health regeneration, movement speed and rate of fire.

By the way, I think I'll soon need alpha testers, because the AI is so stupid it can't even produce marines or upgrades... And if some mapper like this mod, I won't refuse any help !

I've thought about several maps :
    * Financial Crisis : you only have a fixed amount of money, so you can't upgrade everything, and you marines don't give money when they die... Be a strategist !
    * David vs. Goliath : one player is Goliath, with more income, more money at the begining and more bunkers, the others are Davids, with basic marines and bunkers... Difficult to balance, but can be interesting to play.
    * King of the Hill : very simple, to win you have to hold a central point for a while, this need to be as well an offender as a defender !
    * Trench survival : a coop map, players must defend the line at all cost, against infinite troops... Work together !
    * Dying Planet : basic fight, but the whole planet is collapsing, with rokks falls, earthquakes... Epic battle !
    * Space Hulk : basic fight, but you can activate several doors and prepare some traps for your ennemies... Beware !

the last 3 game options i have fell inlove with

those last 3 are quite something.......need any help with anything, just let us know. I would love to see this mod up and running

Yes, there are many things to do, but as I said, I'll first release a basic version, with the standard gameplay, which needs balance... For now, the only help I need is beta testers, I think I can release this beta within the next 2 weeks if I can work fast...
    But after, I promise I'll work on these maps, because think originality and various gameplay is the key of a good mod (and game, by the way...).

I made more upgrades yesterday, movement speed, rate of fire, rate of production (it bugs actually), and critical hit (1% chance of instant kill, and makes the target explode in pieces : the true reality of explosive ammo... ). I think I don't have too much work to do to finish this beta version, I'll make a map, fix some bugs, and this is quite playable already

EDIT : even if I don't put it in this release, if you have any idea (upgrades, gameplay, ...), be sure I'll be happy to see it and discuss about it
    Last edited by Dharkhar; 24th May 12 at 2:58 AM.

Do your units level up as they go

No, actually I think there is no interest in leveling, since the marines don't last so much... But we can try it in a future release

i really like those last three would go along great with my mod, mind if i use some of your work once you have finished, as well even if you say no feel free to use any of mine or shadows work (that is done in my mod at-least).
    Ultimate Warfare
    Realism, lore based, and fun!

Quote Originally Posted by laszers View Post
    i really like those last three would go along great with my mod, mind if i use some of your work once you have finished, as well even if you say no feel free to use any of mine or shadows work (that is done in my mod at-least).
    There is no problem at all
    Actually, I think a real modder has no problem with sharing his work, but I'd only ask you to put me in your credits, and I'll do the same for you if I use your work

k man sounds good!

I was gonna say if there was leveling, when you get into the higher levels of the endless wave one, after a marine gets to there max level , give him a 5% of turning into a sarg or a termy

Oh ok. I think I can simply make the upgrades' limit infinite, so your marines will always need to evolve... But, with the current price (for upgrades), a super-marine completely upgraded needs more than 1500 req... And you only get 1 req for killing or losing a marine...
    Anyway, I can use your idea to create another upgrade : 1% of the created marines becomes a terminator, 5 times stronger and dangerous...

EDIT : oh, and if anybody wants to help, I think you can really help by creating some maps, for example the Trench Survival's map, even if I have my own idea of what it must look like (I used to live near Verdun...)

Just to keep you informed, today I've begun the map Dying Planet, with a first feature : random rokks falls all over the map !

Sweet, I cant wait to play. Will marines have access to a heavy bolter? (With every 5-8 levels get a range increase maybe?) Cuz i dont want to be fighting a shit ton of enemies with no heavy weapons

This is an idea I'm working on, because the basic bolter, with the cooldown upgrade, shoots too many bullets for its animation... So maybe I'll try to give a heavy bolter after the fifth upgrade, but this would be added in a second release, I first want to make a working version, to let you help me with the balance and the stats.
    Actually, I think I could release a first version, but 2 upgrades are quite buggy, the energy upgrade makes the marines invincible, and the range upgrade make the marines go in close combat (this is really weird...).

EDIT : here's a screenshot of the rokks falls (minimum quality for tests) :

Last edited by Dharkhar; 4th Jun 12 at 3:49 AM.

I think I don't have too much to do before releasing a beta, so you can have a look at my mod
    The only problem I have is with the marine-production rate upgrade, and with the range&cooldown upgrades (full upgraded, the marines don't shoot at all... maybe the animation I think), and the AI. I can rapidly create some global powers, a score table, and an upgrade for the pop cap...

Here are some screenshots of the Dying Planet, the explosive bullet upgrade, and the bunker's panel :

EDIT : oh, and what do you think if I put terminators and dreadnoughts in the game ? For termis, it would be a free unit, as the marines, but slower to produce, heavier, stronger, slower... I think it would be 5 marines in one, so it can be easy balanced. The dreadnought is an old idea (see first post), you can call it with a power, in a drop pod (like in pvp...).
    Last edited by Dharkhar; 8th Jun 12 at 1:20 AM.

Here is the ModDB page : http://www.moddb.com/mods/zone-control-mod
    I've fixed the range/cooldown issue, the energy issue, the production upgrade issue, I've improved the regeneration, I've improved the Dying Planet map, I've added a chrono and a score table (quite buggy at this time). Here are more screenshots : http://www.moddb.com/mods/zone-contr...hots1#imagebox

I I will play as soon as i get my computer fixed

No feedback at all ?

dont fret, my cpu should be in working order by tomarrow

Terminators on their way ! Like the basic marine, but much stronger, slower and expensive...

dude dont worry , first release your not going to get a whole lot of attention, i had like five downloads first release. now it is way up in the hundreds!

Oh ok, thanks for the tips... It's surely the first thing I put on internet, so I'm not used to it...

26. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #26
    Will be watching this. Can't play anytime soon, I'm afraid, but something like this may see me playing DoW II more regularly when I am able to.

Your mod ideas and polished execution continues to impress me, Dharkhar

Thank you Gorb !

Here is a screenshot of the Bunker's Invincibility ability : http://www.moddb.com/mods/zone-contr...bility-ability

I like it, its pretty cool

Here is a first screenshot of another map : King of the Hill ! http://www.moddb.com/mods/zone-contr...-of-the-hill-1

i installed the mod and was able to launch and set up the game but it refused to load into actual gameplay. do you know what might be causing this and how i might fix it?

Thread Information