Hey, I've recently installed Company of Heroes however once installed I obviously had to download all the patches, and in-game this didn't work - I would choose multiplayer, and then it would instantly jump from the sign-in screen to the patch screen, where it would then say that it had "failed, return to the main menu and try again later". I am guessing the issue may be that it disallows me to log-in on the sign-in screen. Note: I (believe I) have given the game permission to access the internet - I shall do another install and make sure that it is allowed past my firewall before saying that it is certain.
The main problem however is when I attempted to manually patch the game. I downloaded all the patches (other than 2.400-2.500 as I have not managed to have the time to complete the download) from this website (for extra info: I downloaded from the English section using Miro). I can succesfully patch it with the first of the patches (1.00-1.40) but on the second patch (1.40-2.101) the patcher fails on the Game Explorer part (right at the end) and an error message pops up saying "10028:80004005 (IGameExplorer::AddGame returned 80004005: Unspecified Error))". This error always results on the game install being deleted fully (possibly because the patch corrupts the install?). Is there a way to fix this issue? And is there a way to fix the issue of in-game patching not working?
Extra info as may be necessary:
- I am playing a retail version of the game, with no add-ons or 3rd party modifications.
- System specs are well above the required minimum, and I have over 300GB of space left on the HDD where the install is located.
- I have tried with multiple installs to solve the latter problem, the same for the former.
- I have not tried turning off my firewall, and I do not have any antivirus software (other than what comes as standard with windows).
- I am running 64-bit Windows 8 Consumer Preview (not sure if this could be a source for some of the issues.
- This may be a non-issue, however on each reinstall the game remembers my option information, to me if a game is fully uninstalled this shouldn't occur, so perhaps whatever is being left behind with each corruption and deletion is an issue for one or both of the above issues?
Note that I am seemingly hitting another barrier currently in that I can't get the game's auto-run to work correctly, not of major concern as I can still run the installer, just an inconvenience as it would make my life easier if it would start the game when the CD is placed in the reader.