Sorry about the turbulence over the past couple of days. Turns out this was quite a malevolent hack and we've had to take a few steps which have caused you guys and us guys a few inconveniences.
In a nutshell, the hacker was able to gain access to our user database and started deleting users. They have now been locked out and we have restored a backup of the user database, but this means a few things:
- If you created a new account over the past few days, it will no longer exist.
- If you changed your password over the past few days, it has been reverted to your old password.
- If your old user account disappeared, it should now be working again.
- If you can't remember your old password, you can reset your password using this form: here
- Lastly, but not leastly, we recommend that all users who read this change their password, which you can do by clicking this: Edit Email & Password
Look, it's not likely that your account will be hacked, but it is possible, as our hacker did gain access to the the user database. All the passwords are encrypted, of course, but it is possible to crack them with the right amount of time and the right tools. Your guess as to why anyone would want to do that to gain access to a gaming forum user's profile is as good as mine, but stranger things have happened.
So, apologies again for the lapse in security, but with malicious intent.. it can happen to the most secure of websites. Even those with full time paid security experts on staff (which we are certainly not). Please spread the word regarding the password changing, and please feel welcome to post any further issues in this thread.