Spoon's Trail and Tracer FX Submod! [Updated 23/04/13]

Spoon's Trail and Tracer FX Submod! [Updated 23/04/13]

Hey guys. I've modified projectile smoke trails and small arms tracers for my own personal use and for use in the Modern Combat mod, making them more realistic looking... and less like blaster FX from Star Wars. Anybody is welcome to use these privately but please give credit if using them publicly! And don't forget to leave feedback!

There are several different versions of the trail/tracer FX. In general though:

- Kinetic projectiles have whiter, cleaner trails (weapons like rockets excepted of course).
    - Tracers are shorter and teardrop-shaped.
    - Snipers have more realistic tracers (including an actual bullet component) that still betray their position somewhat with a trail.
    - A few miscellaneous rocket/flame/debris smoke trails have been slightly improved.

Keep in mind that the video below is outdated..

Complete Download: All-in-one download.

Small Tracers: Much, much, much smaller than in vCoH. Mainly cosmetic as it can sometimes be extremely hard to see these tracers on bright maps, especially when the camera is panning around.

Medium Tracers: Still much smaller than their vCoH equivalents but easily visible on most maps. My favourite version as they look good while remaining functional as well.

Large Tracers: The least realistic, but still greatly improved over vCoH. These are the most visible, and are the tracers used by Modern Combat.

No Tracers: Removes all tracers.

Small Trails: Not totally inconspicuous but fairly thin and transparent. Like the small tracers it can sometimes be hard to pick these up on bright maps or when the camera's all over the place. The least detectable version.

Medium Trails: Similarly-sized to vCoH. My favourite.

Large Trails: Slightly thicker than vCoH's. Highest functionality.

No Trails: Removes all trails from kinetic projectiles (tank cannons, mortars, grenades, etc) so that only the projectile animator itself is visible. No effect on rockets or anything that produces a flame trail.
    Last edited by I_am_a_Spoon; 23rd Apr 13 at 2:44 AM.

upload them on mediafire.com, works great, also have you thought about some totally new projectiles for tanks?

I'm not a modeller, don't have the skills or software. :/

4. Modding Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #4
    Very nice dude, thanks for sharing!

Downloads are up (cheers nacho)! I'll put up a video in a bit.

going to check them out right now

================================

So checked it. Not bad. Looks very nice but i will keep my old tracers but thats just because i like them more.

Anyway Nice work
    Last edited by WangTangManPro; 21st Dec 12 at 1:42 PM.
    In einer dunklen Ecke still und heimlich einen Mod am basteln... oO

My Icon-Packs http://forums.relicnews.com/showthre...ate-19.06.2011

Video uploaded, on lower definitions they don't show up as well as they do in-game. :/

wow I tested and I liked your work
    good job
    saludos

well done Spoon

I like the new feeling this little mod add to the game

I was always looking for a mod like this - this is something I can't do myself - so I'm really exited to see such a mod.
    Just installing CoH - will be a great addition, I am sure.
    Thank you!

Ok, so I checked it with 2.6.0.2.
    I chose medium/medium as you said that's your favourite.
    I looked at the benchmark twice to see the difference (dark sequences, plays the same every time for everyone).
    My observations:
    - [bug] There seems to be a bug as the AA and the machine gun tracers seem to be backwards (i.e. the trail seems to go before the bullet). Please check the others as well as it might be the same with other tracers as well, not just these two guns.
    - [change] I was surprised that the tracers were barely visible on those dark maps in the benchmark. Any chance to make them more visible (not brighter)?
    - [feature req] We usually loaded a tracer bullet after every 4th or 9th bullet (depending on rate of fire) in the army. Any chance to change the tracer rates somehow?
    Other than that, it works as advertised - though the bug makes it quite awkward so I disabled the mod for now.
    Thanks for making it!

1. I just checked the benchmark and couldn't see the backward tracers you're describing, they all looked fine to me. Could you please post a screenshot?

2. Try the large tracers, they're a bit bigger and more visible.

3. Some weapons currently load a random tracer, others don't. The ones that do could be configured to only display a tracer every few rounds by blanking out a percentage of the random tracer textures, but the intervals between tracers wouldn't totally be under my control. And lots of weapons don't load random tracers, but a single identical one every time they fire.
    Unfortunately I'm limited to editing the texture files since the object editor won't work for me, so I can't really change that. :/

Update:

- Sniper tracers now look much more realistic.
    - Reduced visibility of small and medium trail FX.
    - Reverted all "tracer_flash_blur_00" FX to their original size as they didn't look right.
    Last edited by I_am_a_Spoon; 22nd Dec 12 at 6:48 AM.

well downloading now, thanks for this update BTW, i'll integrate some of your stuff in my next patch mate, certainly part of your medium pack, as it's the one you prefer (and me too ^^)

Good job

Update:

- Fixed the nis_ambient_tracers_01, nis_ambient_tracers_01_blur and aa_ambient_tracers_00 files in the large tracer pack (and the all-in-one download). I'd accidentally replaced them with the medium tracer versions.

great job!

Here are a few samples (using the original version):

Observe that the front of the tracer is thinner than its rear.
    Last edited by Cucc; 22nd Dec 12 at 9:08 AM. Reason: Added two more

Oh right, that was deliberate. I made the smaller tracers bullet shaped and then enlarged them into the medium and large tracers.

Checked the update; looks the same.

Bullet shaped? I'm not seeing that - it seems as if they're pushing their trail in front of them.
    The tracer is the widest at the bullet, not in front of it.
    Also, I'd think it should look longer.

Thanks for the reference pics, I'll see what I can do.

Yea, but the ones used in those pics are actual modern day tracer rounds in reallife, the ones in COH are just there to look pretty. Because, did regular rifleman and stuff really use all that much tracer rounds? And btw, I'm not sure about this, but are the modern day tracer rounds the same as in WW2? Because maybe they looked somewhat differen't. Sorry if that sounded really stupid, heh.

thats a picture from the winter war, but dont know if the collour was exactly the same as it is today.

also, there are different types of tracer rounds, the normal one wich starts to glow once the bullet exits the muzzle, one thats delayed and one thats not that bright so it doesnt screw night vision devices.

Just remember that these pics are overexposed, in the dark, and hence the camera shows tracers having a long long trail - that's not the case; to the human eye they're much shorter.

tested on inf, medium type, looks nice!

i know this must seem like a noob question but what folder do i put these files in to make them show up in game?

Long exposure photo, anyone? By the time the cam opens and closes the film had already absorbed a nice part of the bullet's path, this is why the tracers look so damn long in some pics. It's true that in most cases tracers look like waterdrops (larger at the front with a thin trail) at open eye. For what a human eye can observe they aren't very long. Depending on the projectile speed (faster is longer, slower is shorter) a tracer might look between 20cm and a meter long. Higher calibres (20, 30, 40mm Autocannon rounds and rifled tracer tank ammo) have a visible spin to them.

The bullet shape was a stylistic choice, but if people want more realistic tracers I might be able to cook something up. Been a bit busy of late though. :/

@hnunez: it's supposed to be a resource for other modders to use... I could set it up as a standalone mod but I doubt it would be online-compatible? Or I could directly replace the game files but then the download would be huge, all for a few tracers.

its alright i figured out where the files go already it just threw me off there for a bit cause i did not know where the data file was but thanks for your help it i dont want to make you do any more work that you have already done for my sake. btw the fx look great in game thanks for this great resource.

Wait what. You have your own mod, how did you not know where the Data file was? :V

Recently overhauled the tracers and trails, you can see the new "large" versions in the latest patch (1.014) for Modern Combat.

I'll try to make them available here too when I have time. They probably won't suit everyone but they're a good compromise, much nicer than the previous iteration anyway.

I'd prefer it here, as a standalone mod.
    Thanks!

Ok, updated the OP with links to the latest tracers. I have this week off, if people have any more suggestions now's the time.

There's no readme or anything included - how'd I know I am using the right version?
    I just grabbed the complete package.

If you downloaded it within the last 14 hours then you have the latest version...

Cool downloading now to see what's up

Ok, thanks.
    If anyone interested, the CRC32 checksum of the complete package released on 23/04/13 is: 74E9893E

Thread Information