Dawn of War installation Windows 7 / Run Time Error / Spooge / Install pathway

Dawn of War installation Windows 7 / Run Time Error / Spooge / Install pathway

I originally put this on the thread for UberJumper's fix for the Dawn of War Spooge problem but I am reposting it as a new thread for those who are suffering through reinstallation on a new computer or an upgraded to Windows 7 computer. Hopefully your Google search to assist in problems you encounter will bring you this way as that is how I found Uber Jumper's fix and what reminded me how to fix the run time error problem.

I had to perform a fresh install of Windows 7 32 -bit Home Premium due to a problem with Games for Windows Live and my ability to play multiplayer on DOW2!! I have an Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT card. I had to go through the entire DOW installation pathway to get all of my games back on. I heavily recommend that if you are planning a fresh reinstall you have all of the patches kept on a USB to save frustration.

The first issue is finding all of the original media discs. For the original Dawn of War, it was released on 3 CD's so you need to track down all three and the key of course. One time, I was updating a new laptop and one of the CD packets had fallen behind our study bookcase so that was real fun! It taught me to keep all game media in one safe place and in order for future installations.

After installing Dawn of War from CDs when you try to run it you will get a Run Time Error. To fix this you need to install the patches dow141.exe, then dow141150.exe and then dow150151.exe to get past the problem. Get files from here (link to) dawnofwar.filefront.com/files/Dawn_of_War/Official_Releases/Patches;4517 if you don't have them saved. You can ignore earlier patches and jump straight to dow141.

Next, you may run into this Spooge error when you try and run Dawn of War, apparently if you have an Nvidia graphics card. Get the spdx9_config.txt file from here (link to) forums.relicnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10888&d=1170819606 and copy it to c:\program files\THQ\Dawn of War\drivers\ Rename the existing file there to spdx9_config_old.txt

The graphics config file should now work. I was able to start the program. The spdx9_config.txt file has now been safely added to my program installers for DOW directory to save future headache.

You will also have to copy your previous game profiles from a backup of the previous copy of the games from THQ\Dawn of War\profiles to the new installation's profiles directory to get back your mission completion in the campaign and any saved games. For recorded games you will need to copy the THQ\Dawn of War\playback directory. If you have done a fresh Windows 7 install these should be in the Windows.old\Program Files\ directory or you may have made a backup on USB prior to starting the upgrade/reinstall. (This also applies to the Dark Crusade and SoulStorm directories)

This is all to get the original program to run once so that the races can be unlocked in multiplayer in Dark Crusade and SoulStorm.

Continue through the installation pathway of Winter Assault, Dark Crusade and Soul Storm from here. I will continue with posts covering dramas with installing those and how to resolve them on Windows 7 with an Nvidia card.

Thanks to UberJumper for a fix that will keep the game running.

TearItUpPC
    Last edited by TearItUpPC; 28th Dec 12 at 7:19 PM.

Dawn of War : Winter Assault reinstallation was initially a walk in the park compared to the original Dawn of War. However, Dawn of War stopped running after Winter Assault was installed and this required some fiddling around.

You have to find the original 2 CDs and key for the product. The installation process was straightforward. No patching is required. Run the game once to get Imperial Guard for Dark Crusade and Soulstorm.

However, after running the game, the Run Time Error problem returns to the original Dawn of War. I think this may be because Winter Assault's installation returns the original game to an earlier patch state 1.40. If you then immediately try to reinstall patch dow141.exe it says "Patching error : The patching system detects that critical game files have been modified..." This is because of the altered spdx9_config.txt file. So after installing Winter Assault, go to the drivers directory and reinstate the standard spdx9_config.txt file.

Then, reinstall dow141.exe, then dow141150.exe and then dow150151.exe. After the final patch, change the spdx9_config.txt file back to the UberJumper version. You should then be able to run the original Dawn of War without needing to put in the CD.

You should be alternately able to follow the installation path of original Dawn of War CDs, then dow141.exe, then Winter Assault CDs, then dow141.exe again, then dow141150.exe, then dow150151.exe, then update the drivers folder with the altered spdx9_config.txt file and then start both games separately for the first time. The problems I encountered with Winter Assault were due to me getting the original Dawn of War to start before I tried working on getting Winter Assault working again.

Dawn of War certainly tests your patience on new equipment.

TearItUpPC
    Last edited by TearItUpPC; 28th Dec 12 at 7:21 PM.

Dawn of War : Dark Crusade reinstallation is also a bit of a pain.

It is now on 1 DVD so finding the media and key is a bit easier. During the installation I got the message "CRC Error: The file c:\Program Files\THQ\Dawn of War - Dark Crusade\W40k\W40k Data - Shared Textures - Full.sga doesn't match the file in the setup's .cab file. The medium from which you are running the setup may be corrupted; contact your software vendor." Maybe a bit of dust on the DVD. Who knows.. I clicked on Retry and it went for a little bit and came up again. Again clicked on Retry and it went through to the end. I didn't install xfire.

The spooge error reappears when I tried to run it for the first time. I copied the spdx9_config.txt file to the drivers directory, renaming the original file, and it fixed this. As I had run Winter Assault successfully, it asked me for the keys for both Dawn of War and Winter Assault when it started to give me access to the races in multiplayer.

I then had to patch the game to bring it up to multiplayer status with dowdc110111.exe and DXP2-111-120.exe. Get these here if you don't already have them
    (link to) dawnofwar.filefront.com/files/Dawn_of_War_Dark_Crusade/Official/Patches;8618

The first patched without problems but the second one indicated that there had been changes made to critical game files and did not complete. This was due to the change to the spdx9_config.txt file. I replaced UberJumper's file with the original again and the 1.2 patch completed successfully.

The 1.2 patch had a fix for the spooge problem so after it is installed you shouldn't need the altered spdx9_config.txt file for Dark Crusade to run. Therefore, you can also get away with not using the spdx9_config.txt file if you install the game and then add the two patches before starting it for the first time.

Only 8 hours and I now have Dark Crusade back in place with all races!! No wonder I enjoy my Xbox so much.

On to SoulStorm.
    Last edited by TearItUpPC; 28th Dec 12 at 7:11 PM.

Dawn of War : SoulStorm reinstallation was pain free.

It is on 1 DVD so finding the media and key was easy. I got no error messages during the installation. The graphics check had my 1440x900 resolution available. After starting it asked me for the other game keys to unlock the other races.

There are two patches for online multiplayer available from (link to) dawnofwar.filefront.com/files/Dawn_of_War_Soulstorm/Official_Releases/Patches;10342

The in-game patching service in all of the games when you click on multiplayer hasn't worked for years so you have to install patches manually from copies downloaded from filefront.

As the first of these patches is 130 MB and I only play this on LAN with my sons I have never bothered to patch these so can't report on problems encountered. But SoulStorm was a very straight forward experience. It is the original Dawn of War that creates the most problems. It would be great if Relic could provide a simple solution to adding the other keys to SoulStorm for the future so that the other games didn't have to be reinstalled with operating system upgrades. I realise that there is a solution for this but I don't think that it is simple enough for me or most of the gaming public.

As it is, I will now be waiting a couple of years until going up the next flight of stairs in the Windows universe and will not be looking forward to performing another fresh install.

Hope this may help someone out there end up a little less frustrated.
    TearItUpPC
    Last edited by TearItUpPC; 28th Dec 12 at 7:25 PM.

Thank you so much! My brothers jimmies were getting seriously rustled by the Spooge warning.

Thread Information