Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Gearbox acquires Homeworld IP

Homeworld Gearbox acquires Homeworld IP

That was unexpected. But great that it is coming to steam and/or gog.

As hit & miss as Gearbox is for me atleast now something might get done with the IP and digital distribution for it would be pretty sweet.

There's always a lighthouse... Stingra's Avatar
    An ancient starship, buried in the sands...
    I have a bad feeling about this.
    Those Halcyon Days...

What?! Why?! How...

Game over man, GAME OVER!

What the actual fuck.

Duke nukem for-never, Aliens: colonial failerines, Bland-lands 2...

hmmm...Happy EA/activision didn't get it, but gearbox doesn't have a good track record either, despite their willing-ness to revitalize old IP's. we just get zombies and similar odd creatures.
    This is my signature. Fear its meaninglessness! Go on, fear it! Fear!

Incoming Homeworld FPS featuring the Beast as primary enemy. Because zombies.

And apparently Paradox and Stardock were in the auction too... I can't believe it, I want to see the positive side but is hard.

...maybe they thought they were buying Homefront haha!

Persnickety South African Mirage Knight's Avatar
    http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Right, I'm calling this now. Randy Pitchford and company will run the IP into the ground and piss on it. Watch. The only IP they actually care about is Borderlands. If you need any further proof, look at A:CM and DNF.

To be fair, it looks like their first priority with the franchise is to remaster and bring them to digital platforms like Steam and Origin. I, for one, am OK with that. As for future games... that's a bit iffy.
    "In Italy under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." -Orson Welles

I saw this on another forum. It's certainly an interesting choice of company to land the IP, I made my peace with the Homeworld series long ago but I'd love to see where they ends up nonetheless. I think it's bound to be either be amazing or completely terrible with no middle ground, fascinated to see which one of the two it heads towards.

Edit: On another note, I'm glad that they're apparently going to make the games available for digital distribution. Would consider picking those up on steam during a sale even though I already have the physical copies.
    Last edited by Noir; 22nd Apr 13 at 1:17 PM.

Banned
    Duke nukem for-never, Aliens: colonial failerines, Bland-lands 2...
    Borderlands 2 was good and I played the last few bits of Aliens: Colonial Marines with Master Chief and it seemed okay. Weird that Gearbox went for HW though. I wonder what the winning bid was.

Brian intends as first priority to direct Gearbox's interest to preserve and assemble the purest form of the original acclaimed and beloved games, Homeworld and Homeworld 2, with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms.
    That's a good way to take my money. I wonder if we'll get a new game sometime too.

I looked around their forums on a whim after checking their press release and surprisingly they already have a Homeworld forum up. This is just a guess on my part but presumably they have something new in mind for the series, or at least I hope so.

Also, where's Cataclysm in all this?

16. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #16
    Cataclysm's gone. No backups exist of its sourcecode afaik. Relic didn't consider it canon anyway (so neither should we!).

That's a shame. In hindsight HW:C was probably the best game out of the three.

18. Dawn of War II Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #18
    I love the dildo cannon Hirmetrium's Avatar
    Well, whatever chance I might of ever played homeworld is gone. I will not support Gearbox, not for a long time, until they can prove themselves. Money grubbing, circle jerking assholes don't deserve it.

And, what the actual fuck is a gimmicky FPS developer going to do with a REAL TIME STRATEGY LICENSE. Honestly, there is not a single possible way this can go well.
    You should check out DoltsDay 2014, an epic adventure!

19. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #19
    The One Called Sailor Mun Mokino's Avatar
    Yeah, I rather liked Cata as well. Lost history there.

The Gearbox purchase doesn't bother me too much. It could have been far worse, like EA or Activision.

EDIT: Hirm, first of all they're finally getting the first two games on a digital release platform. I suspect that's to gauge interest.

Banned
    I'll be honest, I haven't had any real interest in RTS in a long time so I'd be interested in seeing whatever they do with the license, whether its a new RTS, a space sim (this would be the best but it won't happen) or Borderlands 3.

21. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #21
    A freelancer-style game in the Homeworld universe is something I'd dream about.

Or some sort of sandbox RTS/privateer game. Give the player a mini-mothership (like a carrier) Q-ship and let them loose on the galaxy.

So much whine i sense from you, young padawan.

HW/HW2 are getting rereleased on a digital platform. This is what most of us have wanted. We can play MP again and there will be scores of people will be playing again.

What improvements they make to it maybe suspect but at the end of the day it will be rereleased.

HW3 was always a pipedream and frankly can never live upto the hype. All this hateon for GBX is entirely misplaced, the two examples cited for horrible were essentially in development limbo and as part of a corporate strategy to make a likely return on investment they signed up to back them. DNF was in development for essentially forever, was anyone really expecting an A+ product? I dont know enough about the aliens game, but it seems to have been a franken game worked on by multiple studios and not given sufficent time and investment to meet the final deadline because of being in development hell.

HW/HW2 are neither of these. They are completed games which only need networking touchups and or some changes to accomidate newer systems. What art assets or improvements made can be anyone's guess but we are getting it back on a playable platform at the end of the day. I'd rather GBX then EA or activision being stuck behind origin exclusive or loaded with various DRM.

If ever HW3 is released (which was never going to happen anyway from THQ, so get real people) we can gripe about how GBX was terrible choice. But until such a distant future event occurs, I for one welcome our saviour of the franchise.
    Those who walk through the shadows, seek not the light.
    If you disagree with a moderational decision, follow this.

Cataclysm probably had the best refinement of the original Homeworld 'playstyle' when it came to the interface, unit interaction and navigation. Sucks the source is lost, but its not like it matters given the game is nearly a decade old. I have my hopes for Gearbox, this might be the one game franchise they actually take seriously given its reputation.

I agree completely Weavern. Borderlands 1 and 2 are great games and amazingly fun. Gearbox definitely deserves a shot at this.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

This is certainly a 'could be better, could be worse' situation. The best outcome would have been Sega, who have Relic and still have the Creative Assembly under their belts (the possibilities!). The worse has already been talked to death and should be obvious. Regardless, I hope a new HW title is something on the same lines as Cata; a smaller story being told in the great big ol' galaxy.

bland has nothing to do with being good or not good. bl2 felt like it was BL1.5, like it was a very, very, very big expansion pack, which isn't to say it was bad, i just found it bland.

Edit: Homeworld MP that works via steamworks is something i'm interested in, especially if old cdkeys work.

Certainly, Cataclysm was better than HW2. I don't recall any upending retcons, just some poor techs/ships.

Gearbox software...I just don't see the connection. I might still be dazed. That's a leap. While Homeworld is still in my opinion the gold standard of 3D space RTS, and the industry undoubtedly knows that, it doesn't have the brand power of Aliens or Duke Nukem. Those latter two would sell if they stank. But Homeworld? As new titles go I'm not sure if there's much more than a couple hundred thousand instant buyers out there, us oldies plus anyone who wants a SotS 2 replacement or has some idea of the franchise pedigree. Okay, maybe it's more. D*mn it, if only I still had Sierra's Homeworld sales data somewhere .

Anyway, I wonder if this is misguided fondness on the part of an exec at Gearbox with cash in his pocket, or if they think there's money to be made in "HW 2.2: Generic Slugfest, now with more deified heroes, and keys to keys1!."

But those digital re-releases, I've gotta have. I agree they will probably gauge interest in a HW3 that way.

Sierra/VG's Homeworld, Cataclysm, and HW 2 Moderator (Closed)

This is quite upsetting.

28. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #28
    I agree typh. Don't make the mistakes Blizzard made in regards to SC2 story. You don't need some sort of "epic" universe-scale story for it to be a good one.

29. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #29
    I'm on your head, lol Giant Moth's Avatar
    I've dusted off my old account for this.

Well this is pretty bad news. Gearbox has proven themselves to be a company that sticks to many of the worse traits of the modern game industry. DLC gouging, hamfisted jokes and references, over-exaggeration and outright fabrications/lies in trailers, and of course mismanagement of two big and old franchises a lot of us old-timers have been yearning for.

I am extremely sceptical, but hope to be proven wrong.

Even barring ACM and DNF which yes were arguably development hell games, I'm still concerned that A) Gearbox has never made an RTS and B) Gearbox's most successful series by far has the absolute opposite tone than what would be required for Homeworld. I'm not sure they actually can make a good, serious story without turning into a cheesy and/or cliché'd mess.

Most of the original Homeworld devs are not even apart of Relic any longer. Saying that I would rather have Relic have the IP back means nothing if the same people that had the vision and influence to make Homeworld 1 and 2 aren't there. Rob C, JAK, Noah Stacey and others have gone over to form Blackbird and the amazing art work shows. Homeworld going 'back' to Relic would be an empty gesture and more of a symbolic one more than anything. Yes, Relic does primarily RTS games and Homeworld would be a perfect fit for them, but only by that measure alone.

I'd almost have preferred EA to get the franchise! At least they tend to make a good B grade game that generally works and heck they can make some A grade (Red Alert 2 anyone).

I'm concerned as others are about the possibilities this means for a Homeworld 3 title if one should ever come to the fore.

That said I am glad to hear that they are going to work toward re-releasing the titles. I've working versions of both core games so no major desire to buy, but hopefully relaunching them into the market will remind people that there is more out there than just Sins of a Solar Empire for space RTS and might do the niche market itself some good!

Wall-o-Textian
    This is certainly a 'could be better, could be worse' situation. The best outcome would have been Sega, who have Relic and still have the Creative Assembly under their belts (the possibilities!). The worse has already been talked to death and should be obvious. Regardless, I hope a new HW title is something on the same lines as Cata; a smaller story being told in the great big ol' galaxy.
    That.
    I too been more for a several smaller things that are in the same universe. Let's just hope we can see anything besides some digital releases of HW1/2.
    And hands down, I'd kick HW2 off my table for Cataclysm.

I too doubt "giving it back to Relic" would be that great either. The glory days are gone and the people moved on. Time to reinvent the wheel with new people -- Though I am very nervous when I hear "reinvention/remake/revamp/reimagination".

With all the years of talking about HW's future, let's hope that we can see S O M E T H I N G happen with it... The next thing I am going to say is probably going to backfire right in my face, but even with HW2 not being a good sequel, I'd really want to see anything come... even if it's an Aliens: Colonial Fail. We need to see something happening in HW, ffs.

... We need to get the HW fanfiction writers together and toss scripts and premises at them so they can steal be inspired... so we can at least manipulate their next title.
    BF Bad Company 2 - Name: Groovechamp

Homeworld Fanfiction in progress:
    Tales of the Vjel-Amaj - feat. a unique Kiith
    Book I; Book II; Book III
    Discussion Thread/ Forum Blog

?(?`???)? HW:Cataclysm 2 rage signature! ?(?`???)?

Anyone saying Duke Nukem Forever is proof Gearbox is a bad developer has no idea what they are talking about. They barely did anything with that game and are the only reason it came out in the first place. Colonial Marines on the other hand, sure that was their fault (though they still didn't actually develop it, which is mostly why it was bad).

I think it's also worth noting that Gearbox also makes the Brothers in Arms series, which as I recall was fairly well regarded. I believe that's a more tactical game than the others they make?

That said, they would not have shown up on any list of potential buyers I would have made. It's a strange decision, I'm curious to see what they do with it. Ideally we would see another RTS, but they're not exactly known for that. Maybe they're attempting to branch out?
    Xbox Live/GFWL/Relic Online/Steam: Saberdark

FUCK

Gearbox!? The steaming pile of hot garbage that was Colonial Marines is evidence enough for me to believe that the HW franchise is now properly fucked. I was seriously looking forward to the HW IP going somewhere where it would be loved and cherished (BBI, for instance) rather than a company that is well-known for mostly mediocre games and has no experience with the RTS genre.

Dammit, this makes me sad.
    Semi-Retired

36. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #36
    I really think everyone needs to sit back a bit and see what Gearbox does with the IP. Digital releases of the first two games are a good start, imo.

Right now, most of this thread is reminding me of a old fairy tale called Chicken Little.

Full credit to mne finding this and linking on irc $1.35 million to GBX for homeworld 1/2 IP

Holy shit. By contrast relic sold to sega for $26.6million.

Still, says a lot about teamPixel's 100k estimate.

39. Technical Help Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #39
    ea did not develop ra2. that was still westwood.

should this thread not be moved to the homeworld forum?

now watching c-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate
    I hope GBX got 4M to develop HW, given the fact they already spent 1.35M ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mokino View Post
    I really think everyone needs to sit back a bit and see what Gearbox does with the IP. Digital releases of the first two games are a good start, imo.
    Problem is Gearbox did some really sleazy stuff with Colonial Marines... people are right to not trust them at all. They do a good job on Borderlands, no doubt, but they have gotten a reputation for buying up popular IPs, subcontracting them to third-rate developers to work on them for pennies, then rake up the cash which they use to then fund the next Borderlands game/expansion.

Some of you may know me from bygone days, so please consider the infrequency of posting like I did earlier. I am normally quite level-headed and thoughtful but this is seriously awful. Yes, the sky is falling for the HW franchise. If I have to eat crow in 3-4 years because a legit good HW 3 comes out, I'll youtube my humble-pie eating but I really don't think that's going to be the case.

Gearbox is truly one of the top-5 worst companies I wanted the IP to go to, right up there with EA. $1.35M seems...high, I guess? But I don't know what IPs sell for. That said, it's enough money that you can't just sit on the IP (i.e. re-release of HW1/2 doesn't seem like it would justify the expense). If HW3 does come from this, I hope Gearbox outsources it to Relic... :P

43. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #43
    I'm on your head, lol Giant Moth's Avatar
    I think people are doing just the right thing in showing their scepticism towards this. Gearbox has proven to release two absolutely horrible games without a shame in their body. People have to show they won't stand for that type of behaviour, and that customer loyalty(or the lack of it) means something. That will give them an incentive to work even harder not to screw it up, rather than take for granted that all the old Homeworld fans are going to come licking their boots.

44. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #44
    1. Duke Nukem Forever was released by them due to Take Two pretty much dumping it on them. That one I'm not willing to fully blame them for. For what they were given and the six months to "finish" it they did an okay job. Yes, Pitchford and the others hyped it up; THAT'S THEIR JOB.

2. Colonial Marines was a clusterfuck where every company involved screwed up in some way and yet everybody goes solely after Gearbox. Nobody also blames SEGA or the folks it was outsourced too? At least be fair and criticize all three. SEGA messed up the most by not watching the game's development at all it seems. Take Two obviously keep Gearbox on a tighter leash.

FooF, top 5, really?

Worse options, imo:
    1. Zynga
    2. Deep Silver
    3. EA
    4. Activision (they'd sit on it and just collect royalties at best, release a crappy half-assed sequel or mobile game at worst)
    5. Stardock (Elemental, and how awful of a person Wardell is)
    6. Paradox (they do awful outside of Europa, Patrician and Crusader Kings)
    7. Kerberos

And that's just off the top of my head. At least Gearbox does have the Borderlands series to show they can produce quality, unlike many I've listed above. I think the big tell will be who publishes the next Homeworld game, should one exist.

@Giant Moth, a fair point. I do think a lot of the fans are going hilariously overboard but that's the internet for you (I also thought the ME3 ending thing was an insane overreaction, bad as the game ending was. People were acting like EA murdered a family member.)

EDIT:

Okay, to be fair I'd really hoped it would have gone to Ironclad (if it could without Stardock's intervention) or SEGA. Gearbox is a mixed bag and I hope they don't outsource it to a low bid developer like what happened to Colonial Marines. At the same time, I'm not sure how well they could do a game themselves so it would be nice to at least see them headhunting some RTS talent. Keep in mind they only just got the IP and it'll be a while before any real project starts.
    Last edited by Mokino; 22nd Apr 13 at 6:05 PM.

Homeworld franchise is lost, simple as that the company who makes storylines such as borderland and aliens colonal marines will never be able to make a true homeworld game. I morn on this day... Even made me crawl out to this forum to vent. It's just a sad day all around. My hope was for Ironclad or blackbird interactive but I guess money talks.

Hopefully at the lake. Miss that place terribly in the winter.
    Oh for fuck's sake, it's not armageddon. Sheesh.

Homeworld now has an owner that might do something with it, as opposed to it just gathering dust in a corner or falling to a small organization that has never really made a game before. There could have been more aligned choices, yes certainly, but this isn't a tragedy until we see what becomes of it, if anything ever at all beyond mobile-enabled play.

As for quality of story, some of Homeworld 2's missions were bloody awful. I wouldn't say Borderlands 2 was worse in the writing department at all.
    Who the hell thought "erectus" was a good species name for our ancestors?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokino View Post
    1. Duke Nukem Forever was released by them due to Take Two pretty much dumping it on them. That one I'm not willing to fully blame them for. For what they were given and the six months to "finish" it they did an okay job. Yes, Pitchford and the others hyped it up; THAT'S THEIR JOB.

2. Colonial Marines was a clusterfuck where every company involved screwed up in some way and yet everybody goes solely after Gearbox. Nobody also blames SEGA or the folks it was outsourced too? At least be fair and criticize all three. SEGA messed up the most by not watching the game's development at all it seems. Take Two obviously keep Gearbox on a tighter leash.
    The problem is that it is a trend, and it is not a good trend.

1: Pick up popular IP for a game.

2: Outsource development (like it or not, Gearbox were largely behind the decisions to outsource both Duke Nukem and Colonial Marines) to third-rate developers whom promptly shatted all over the title

3: Rake in money, and then proceed to blow that money on their pet project, Borderlands.

Considering Homeworld would definatly fit in the 'Popular IP' definition, Homeworld's future is not looking bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroboy View Post
    Homeworld now has an owner that might do something with it, as opposed to it just gathering dust in a corner or falling to a small organization that has never really made a game before. There could have been more aligned choices, yes certainly, but this isn't a tragedy until we see what becomes of it, if anything ever at all beyond mobile-enabled play.
    I would rather the IP die than to have shovelware made for it. If all the new owner did was put the original games on Digital Destribution and nothing more, I would be okay with that.

As for quality of story, some of Homeworld 2's missions were bloody awful. I wouldn't say Borderlands 2 was worse in the writing department at all.
    If we get anything near Borderlands quality, we will be very very lucky.

Look, worst comes to worse you get Homeworld 1 and 2 available on steam. It's a win.

49. Dolt Dolt Dolt Dolt Dolt  #49
    Tactical Attack Panda Mk10.4 Shin's Avatar
    Someone in Gearbox is going: "RTS?!?!?!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kushan_Pilot View Post
    Certainly, Cataclysm was better than HW2. I don't recall any upending retcons, just some poor techs/ships.
    I never considered the Beast to be HW canon. In a universe thats full of different races that, while they have their differences, they are all sentient, have motivations, are killable, and generally tend to be ordinary mortals. Then you introduce a demigod supervirus that generally acts and behaves like a villian sue with a fleet of palette swapped ships from other races and it sticks out like a sore thumb. They were crappy bad guys compared to the Taiidan whom you at least could sympathize with on some level. Even the Vaygr were better as, while their motivations were just as stupid, at least they were not neigh-unkillable demigods that required superweapons to take down.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information