Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Homeworld Remastered Information, Release 25/02/2015.

HOLY SHIT. That improvement in Homeworld 1 is INSANE. I absolutely love the new interface on both games. It is a perfect looking hybrid of that horrible HW2 interface and its information overload and the very nice simple HW1 style UI.

What blows me away even more, that massive GLOW effect on the hull of the HW2 battlecruiser from the massive dual ion cannon turret.

2. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #52
    Pretty!

You want new space ship? NO!!! Zeenith's Avatar
    As i am echo everyone is real life right now, Holy Shit that's pretty awesome there, and mid Feb launch, well i know what i am getting.

The lighting effects are splendid, and I love the nice little touches like a soft depth of field when focused closely on a ship, as well as the bloom and godrays from the starsphere.

i'm the parasitic quintuplets that live in your spleen. your spleen is in Buenos Aires.
    oh my god, the garden...
    I'm short and misanthropic. I'll bite your nipples off.

6. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #56
    Sweeeeeetneessssss

That doesn't look that much better
    (realizes Youtube set itself to 240p, forces HD setting...)
    Oh that is so so much better.

9. Homeworld Senior Member  #59

DAT NEBULA HOLY SHIT

I had goosebumps watching the whole nebula cinematic. It looked SO GOOD. DAT LIGHTING.

The new lighting system in general looked amazing on all of it. The graphics! So many graphics! If there is mod support I can't wait to take a look at it. Oh my god so much Hype. And only one month away!!
    BUILD SHIPS

(RIP Cute smiley face I don't remember how to make you.)

A return to Homeworld warrants my return. Holy shit it looks gorgeous. Already pre-ordered.
    Semi-Retired

I am very interested how the multi player is going to work with a combination of both 1 & 2, sub systems, formations etc.

But damn it looks sweet and the 25th of next month is not that far away for all to be revealed.
    Rommel said that at Tobruk, when Hitler demanded to know why he allowed a colonial division to fire the might of the German army, and Rommel said, "This isn't a colonial division, it's an Australian division. Give me two Australian divisions and I'll conquer the World for you."

I, too, am interested in balance between the original and sequel factions, though I'll hazard to guess that multiplayer balance is not the highest priority out of the gate.

Quote Originally Posted by A176's linked video
    Breach in starboard fusion chamber.
    Ah, yes. Excellent.

Not sure if its noticed in the vid, but ships cast shadows across each other now.

That was something they tried to do originally with HW2. This is delightful . You can see it in action when the Swarmers undock in the B-Roll Footage. Also again during their approach to the Mothership; a swarmer casts a shadow on a Fuel Pod, so evidently the effect isn't limited to the surface of capital ships.

Glorious.

Sierra/VG's Homeworld, Cataclysm, and HW 2 Moderator (Closed)

High resolution images for those who want to see the ships in full glory

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/...astered_07.jpg
    http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/...astered_04.jpg
    http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/...astered_05.jpg

I'll update the main post to and put all the new information and videos
    I'm am modder not much else to say, You can contact me through Moddb (Rapid107) through Tanis or the GearBox official Homeworld forums.

Account Suspended
    It feels like there are 3-4 separate threads on Homeworld.

19. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member  #69
    THE BANDING IS GONE

he he he...

20. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #70
    Quote Originally Posted by mandead View Post
    It feels like there are 3-4 separate threads on Homeworld.
    As it should be!

I love the Homeworld skyboxes, I used a collection of them in Space Engineers, maybe not realistic but they made space seem big AND pretty.

Looking forward to Sarum dust clouds again, SQUEEEEE!

21. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member Dawn of War II Senior Member  #71
    With that amount of DOF, I'd consider this a downgrade

In earnest, there better be a toggle for that. Good decision having a unified interface.
    One step closer to the end of the decadent Eldar race.
    [...] the reason we don’t like DRM solutions is because they punish the innocent and they have to jump through all these hoops. We don’t want to do that [...]

Looks like they've managed to preserve the art feel and sounds. Although the DOF and Bloom in that HW2 clip looks eye-straining.

Also sudden urge to build 4K computer.

Wow, they really did a nice job with the artwork. The graphics look great! I read that they used the same people to re-do the voice work. Looking forward to this and they plan on multi-player matching on steam.

I couldn't give them my money fast enough. On an unrelated note, I'm going to get all spacey around that release date, I'll have to stay home from work.

25. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member  #75
    OMG HOMEWORLD MULTIPLAYER WILL RISE AGAIN!

Hyperspace arena show-downs, omg gaming memories, NEW GAMING MEMORIES, HNNNGG HNNNGGGGGG!! *heavy and fast breathing*

You know I think team v team RTS matches are one of my favourite multiplayer experiences, especially on big interesting maps, makes for some genuinely interesting and lasting experiences.

Guys, I am feeling something strange...I think it's called...excitement.

26. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member  #76
    Damn, and I was busy playing LOTRO... you are going to get me killed if I start MP HW as well.....

I am surprised no one has mentioned what implication combining the multiplayers has (besides getting to massacre vaygyr craft with missile dessys). Should be visible in the gameplay footage too...hiigaran and vaygyr ships in sphere formation anyone?

C'mon its [current year] Kaldaris's Avatar
    I read that they used the same people to re-do the voice work
    Sounds like they still kept the monotonous/souless unit dialogue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldaris View Post
    Sounds like they still kept the monotonous/souless unit dialogue to me.

coming together, lookiiiing good

alert alert
    ambush

flight control engaaaged, nice to be with ya

i almost feel bad about this

group two, we're low on fuel

this isn't looking good fleet

salvage field released, you got it?

I be Alpha_1_SLS most places. Alpha_1's Avatar
    They have balanced it as much as they can at this point which is why access to Multi-player is beta, they balancing will get refined once we start putting it through it's paces, after all can you see what kind of problem a gravwell would cause a vaygr swarmer, lol.
    There is power in words.

31. General Discussions Senior Member  #81
    terrible, terrible damage Starfisher's Avatar
    http://gfycat.com/DigitalBigheartedKoalabear

I have no time to play games and we're trying to budget strictly for the year... god help me.

32. General Discussions Senior Member  #82
    Seeing this with virgin eyes as I never played the original HW, my thoughts:

I really like these graphics. Something about them seem easier to approach than HW2 which had a constant eye-bleeding annoying orange background I couldn't stand. I can't quite put my finger on why the bloom on this remake doesn't bother me as much, it just doesn't.

The cinematic is clearly late 90's and very hammy. I can live with this.

Overall I love Relic RTS games so happy to try this out.

Visible hull damage! *giggles*

On a side note, it's a shame they kept single-attacking ships instead of letting the ship specialties show themselves off. Attack-move or bandbox-attack for crying out loud. Sacrificing fighter/corvette hordes against capital ships while the opposing fighter swarm enjoys a turkey shoot is painful to watch and doesn't really show us any dogfights.

Another sublime example of game designers being unable to play the game they are working on....

Mr Carrot - That's why I started modding HW2. I couldn't beat the campaign! AI kept kicking my ass.

Mr Carrot that what i was thinking the entire time. Who ever was controlling the ships was making cringe.. Move attack please!!!

Atmospheric Entry Elephant The5thElephant's Avatar
    I'm having nostalgia shock right now from seeing new Homeworld footage and seeing all these familiar names in this forum again.

Crazy.

Hai gais, long time...

I'm wondering how well the HW1 gameplay will translate to the HW2 engine. Individual ships? Fuel? Simultaneous research/building? What will we lose?

That hardly matters though, you still get the classic editions with modern hardware support.

Anyways, I'ma buy it for sure.

40. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member  #90
    Woa, Vijil...

Seems the Homeworld FB group took down Facebook.... hehehe

41. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #91
    A wild Vigil appear! I'm not sure much concrete info can be gleaned from the streams so far. It looks like the unified MP will ship in a beta state, so I'd expect changes along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Carrot View Post
    Another sublime example of game designers being unable to play the game they are working on....
    Which matters exactly . . . how?
    I am an Iron Warrior. Iron Within, Iron Without.

Proudly Politically Incorrect pseudonymn's Avatar
    ^ You must be forgetting about this:

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dawn_of_Eldar

(In case it's not clear, the implication is that you can't balance a game that you don't know anything about, mechanically. One may know the code inside out but that doesn't translate well to balance and tuning, making the Eldar favoritism amongst the QA Testing-Balance team transparent to the devs. And let's not pretend that the Eldar favoritism didn't happen.)

43. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #93
    Given the state of Necrons, I think the "Dawn of Eldar" was massively overblown, and heralds from early vDoW days. Certainly they missed the Soulstorm bug whereby activating Dance of Death on your Harlequin set all resources to 0, and basically the whole of DC.

That said, it's a very different issue, because it's an unrelated developer on an unrelated game. You're also conflating three separate roles there; one of the designer, one of the balancer, and one of the programmer (to know the code). Sometimes design and balancing can overlap, but in general there is a degree of separation between the roles, especially these days.

Also, you don't have to play a game well in order to synthesise decent solutions to balance arguments. Much like you don't have to be an expert in a subject matter to criticise the subject, no?

Proudly Politically Incorrect pseudonymn's Avatar
    redacted because unimportant shit
    Last edited by pseudonymn; 27th Jan 15 at 6:13 AM.

Guys. You're talking about Dawn of War in a Homeworld thread. Come on, take it to the Dawn of War section.

46. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #96

Quote Originally Posted by Vijil View Post
    Hai gais, long time...

I'm wondering how well the HW1 gameplay will translate to the HW2 engine. Individual ships? Fuel? Simultaneous research/building? What will we lose?

That hardly matters though, you still get the classic editions with modern hardware support.

Anyways, I'ma buy it for sure.
    They've taken such care to integrate the HW1 ships that I'd expect most features to carry through. If anything, fuel may be the only one to go because it'd cripple the HW1 factions too much.

48. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #98
    Or maybe they're going to add fuel use to the HW2 factions. *shrug*

Yeah, I'm not expecting fuel. Even if it was thematically interesting, it was annoying to keep track of.

It'll be interesting to see how balanced it will be with the new and old factions. My guess is not very at first.
    Xbox Live/GFWL/Relic Online/Steam: Saberdark

Account Suspended
    Can someone run me through the differences between HW1 and HW2?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information