Homeworld 1 Remastered in a Nutshell

Homeworld 1 Remastered in a Nutshell

Honestly, no text is really required for this thread. But I can't help but elaborate how hysterical Gearbox is on the account they completely and utterly goof'd up huge aspects of HW1 by just throwing it into the HW2 engine.

Honestly, I dont think the formations are fixable. If they were you would have seen us throw sphere and others into HW2 a long time ago as modders.

So.
    We're probably utterly fucked aren't we?

Right now - formations are useless - tacitics are utterly useless - and a large portion of ships are complete cannon fodders and otherwise broken.

Is any of it fixable? Like the issues gearbox left in this game are almost the EXACT same problems we faced as modders.

I kinda want my money back. This isn't remastered at all. Ooooh wow you threw HW1 into HW2, left almost all original HW2 models the SAME polycount/mesh and while they were at it they literally removed key homeworld 1 features in remastered - breaking playstyles and tactics we were acustomed to.

Bloody hell I have the Angel Moon tattoo'd on me. Rightfuly so I'm slightly aggervated here.

Our only option is to hope for someone to come along and create a script extender like SKSE for Skyrim but for Homeworld.

2. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #2
    Is any of it fixable? Like the issues gearbox left in this game are almost the EXACT same problems we faced as modders.
    Most of it should be fixable, yes. Wait for a balance patch to come out prior to screaming your head off; there are now significant modding opportunities that didn't exist in HW2 (the addition of linking LUA scripting to ships via an 'addCustomCode' command, for instance), too.

I hope so. I'd very much like my HW1 strike craft to use the sphere formation the way it was supposed to be.

i dont know about you...but since they acquired the rights to the game...they can do whatever they want with it. They promised updated graphics along with other things such as mod support. I dont want to defend them...but i think you paid what you got for 30 bucks

Quote Originally Posted by sarsengo View Post
    i dont know about you...but since they acquired the rights to the game...they can do whatever they want with it. They promised updated graphics along with other things such as mod support. I dont want to defend them...but i think you paid what you got for 30 bucks
    Nah, its like a 5 bucks quality game.

Says the guy who hasn't played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesaar View Post
    Says the guy who hasn't played it.
    Yeah you are right, I must buy a game to know its "real" value, I mean there isn't videos o commentaries saying all the bad and the good about the game right?

8. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mexican_Taiidan View Post
    Yeah you are right, I must buy a game to know its "real" value, I mean there isn't videos o commentaries saying all the bad and the good about the game right?
    Well... yes. You can't review a game if you don't actually play it.

9. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #9
    You guys know the lead programmer from HW1 (Luke Maloney) helped get this out right? Anyway, it's a lot of work to get the ships working right, and the SP game is very very playable. Pretty sure this game has less bugs in it than HW1 did on release.

I've very much enjoyed the dozen or so hours I've gotten out of it.

The best part about HWR is that HW:S is coming, and if they both sell well, that might mean the franchise will live again (HW3? HW4?)

10. Homeworld Senior Member  #10
    The game plays like HW2.

Which is a shame, because HW2 played pretty awfully in a lot of respects compared to HW1. Ships have a mind of their own and don't behave in sensible ways. Stupid shit like if you have ships set to aggressive and give them a destination, instead of heading to that destination and shooting anything en-route, they simply stop dead when they encounter enemies. Setting ships to guard others also means they will wander off if they are set to aggressive, or do nothing at all until the ship they are guarding actually begins taking damage when not set to aggressive. Plus ships just wander off, have weird priority issues when attacking/healing, salvagers and collectors being complete idiots and bigger ships not being able navigate to save their lives (oh look, the battlecruisers are turning around again because there is a pebble near one of them. How useful!). Compare that to the graceful ship movements/formations and sensible logic that was in HW1, which wasn't perfect by any means, and it's a downgrade. A bloody gorgeous one.

These are all problems HW2 had on release and that never got fixed and they are in HW:R. GBX so far have been great, so hopefully they can give the engine a little love on the AI front.

Flip side, you get an actually usable interface.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    Flip side, you get an actually usable interface.
    Go away I don't like you.

In any case, I never understood any arguments against HW1 other than those against the managers taking up your home screen. Heck, the tutorial straight up told you most of the hotkeys you'd be using, although it didn't cover the cancel order hotkey of tilde for some reason.

It's ship selection UI ("The Info Overlay" IIRC) was SOOO much better than HW2's unreadable POS ship icons that are indistinguishable at a glance.

As someone who didn't really play the original Homewords, I like it how it is - it kind just makes good design sense

Quote Originally Posted by ÜberJumper View Post
    You guys know the lead programmer from HW1 (Luke Maloney) helped get this out right? Anyway, it's a lot of work to get the ships working right, and the SP game is very very playable. Pretty sure this game has less bugs in it than HW1 did on release.

I've very much enjoyed the dozen or so hours I've gotten out of it.

The best part about HWR is that HW:S is coming, and if they both sell well, that might mean the franchise will live again (HW3? HW4?)
    Yeah, i know that some of the original team worked in the remaster, but it looks like they needed more time to work on it, anyway this is gearbox we are talking about, they cant be trusted, even worst they have the HW IP now, I just cant imagine what will happen in the future now, will gearbox go full EA and buy IP and destroy them?

How many patches did HW1 have? AFAIK it only got one patch. Because I remember buying the golden box and it have a music cd with a patch in it.

15. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #15
    Homeworld 1 had three patches, 1.03, 1.04. and 1.05.

Yeah, i know that some of the original team worked in the remaster, but it looks like they needed more time to work on it, anyway this is gearbox we are talking about, they cant be trusted, even worst they have the HW IP now, I just cant imagine what will happen in the future now, will gearbox go full EA and buy IP and destroy them?
    Are you just trolling, or do you really believe what you just wrote? Because that's some serious tinfoil hat right there.

Look, it's obvious that you will never like Gearbox nor the Remaster, so why are you still here polluting every thread with your negativity and complaints?

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    Are you just trolling, or do you really believe what you just wrote? Because that's some serious tinfoil hat right there.

Look, it's obvious that you will never like Gearbox nor the Remaster, so why are you still here polluting every thread with your negativity and complaints?
    I will like Gearbox if they can prove me wrong about them, so far they havent.
    Im not the only one complaining, other users have created threads criticizing the state of HW:R.

18. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #18
    Yes, but those users actually know what they're talking about - you're just saying 'some people have complaints, so the game must be completely terrible and Gearbox intentionally went out to destroy it!'

The game is not terrible. There are issues, as with every single video game release ever, true - but it's still in better condition than many other game releases out there, and nothing indicates that the balance problems or the network issues are going to last forever and everything indicates the opposite.

Even in it's current state, HWRM is probably the best space RTS to come out in recent years. No, it's not as good as HW1, but it's still an excellent game.

Mexican_Taiidan: You don't want to buy the game, don't. But don't act like it's unfair for anyone to dismiss your opinion of HWRM as a result. Until you've played it, your opinion of it is worthless.

And the only reason I can think of for why you're still whining about the game you haven't played is that you need your opinion validated. Which kinda makes sense, given that it's only based on hearsay. You want HWRM to be shit.

If there are concerns, gearbox DOES answer on their official forums. why not pointing it out there? as well? they are already doing it, for modding purposes, and the LUA update problem.

Well, I will just buy the game at 75% discount and my worthless opinions will be have value again.

Well, I will just buy the game at 75% discount and my worthless opinions will be have value again.
    Somehow I doubt that. Why? Because your mind is already made up.

23. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #23
    Buying the game at 25% doesn't make your opinion any more or less valid.
    I am an Iron Warrior. Iron Within, Iron Without.

@Mexican_Taiidan if you have issues and concerns, that is understandable and open for discussion here. HOWEVER just claiming "gearbox sux because reasons" is not really valid criticism and you might as well leave that at the door. If you have valid and constructive criticism of the Remaster present them or post on the Gearbox forums where the devs can see your posts.

now watching c-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhäuser Gate
    I'm glad you created this Remastered section and even more satisfied that ppl are able to distinguish fair and unfair criticism.
    Sometimes when you get one negative thread after another non-stop is tiresome.
    I'm enjoying HWRE so far and I think things in general are not over yet for HW1 and HW2, on the Gearbox side and modding haven't started yet.

In our HWR mod we had FUEL even before GBX came by. The creator is a guy called PulsarMagic that can be found in moddb.
    But I also think Complex will have their version, at least I've read a mention in their forums.

I don't want homeworld2 in my homeworld, it dosn't fit!
    Because we're not a civilization any more.
    We are a gang and we are on the run.
    And we have to fight to survive.
    We have to break rules, we have to bend laws.
    We have to improvise!

Lol. I did not mean for this thread to blow up like this. The game is pretty broken. No one can deny that.
    I was just ranting slightly because I felt a little underwhelmed by the game when it came out. It still is fantastic, just with a lot of issues.

Here's the issues the game has as of right now and this is all from my personal experience:

Very bad SLI/Crossfire support. People are getting lock ups and OpenGL errors that force you to shutdown. It's done it to me about 10 times now and when the game begins loading not during actual game play.

Inconsistent texture resolution on Megaliths.

Ship balancing issues, defender and hiigaran bc I'm looking at you.

Capital Ships do not navigate through dense groups of asteroids and instead climb vertically up or down forever. I have experienced this in singleplayer and multiplayer.

Three of these issues are gamebreaking. I'm sure there's more that even I have experienced but there's nothing we can really do about it until gearbox releases tools or patches most of them.

My main concern is this game's place on this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...le_source_code
    It needs to join Homeworld.

Thread Information