Fortress Europe

Fortress Europe

Fortress Europe is a historical realism modification for Company of Heroes 2 that is currently in development.

Battlegroups, Combat teams, Kampfgruppen; all these terms describe a collection of units assembled for a specific mission or purpose.

In Fortress Europe, you will pick a Battlegroup at the beginning of every game. Each Battlegroup comes with a tailored selection of unit choices and abilities, similar to a Commander, but is modeled on an actual historical unit type and the support elements it would be able to call upon in battle.

All units are organized according to their historically accurate formations. Countless hours of research have gone into examining US Tables of Organization and Equipment, British War Establishment documents, German Kriegsstärkenachweisungen papers, and what little information is available on Soviet organizations. These wartime documents detailed the size, ranks, and equipment allocated to all military units, allowing us to make formations in Fortress Europe be as historically accurate as possible.

This means every squad, team, and section have the correct amount of men and exact weapons they would have been issued. Platoons you deploy will be constrained to the equipment they had and the amount of squads or vehicles they actually possessed.

Ever found it weird that the armour profile of a tank in Company of Heroes was just a single value for front and another for the rear? The loading tips may talk about side armour, but there is no such thing in the game.

So we changed it. Fortress Europe has the entire armour profile for every vehicle, containing each plate along with their thicknesses and slope angles. When ever a shot strikes a vehicle we determine which plate was hit for that side and at which angle. Using a formula derived from the book WWII Ballistics - Armor and Gunnery, we get the result of the impact.

Also, there are no hit points. Damage is done to the internal components and the crew inside. Kill enough crew members - or knock out enough systems - and the remaining crew will bail out and retreat. Igniting the ammo will take out the entire vehicle. Hits also have a chance to cause fires, which will either force the crew to bail out or waste their time extinguishing it.

Company of Heroes has always rewarded smart micromanagement, but babysitting your units can be frustrating. To ease the burden, infantry will automatically use anti-tank grenades and launchers on enemy tanks that get too close. Vehicles and towed guns will automatically switch to the correct ammunition for the target they're firing at. Infantry in the open will fall back out of range if suppressed, rather than lying prone and waiting to die.

• Our ballistics system is 75% complete. Armour penetration is working as planned, critical hits are the next task to complete.
    • Units are 90% complete, most just need additional abilities and upgrades to flesh them out.
    • Battlegroups are 50% complete, we are working on a system that can handle all the units in submenus.
    Join our Steam Group to stay up-to-date with announcements, discussions, events, and more!

Also, check out our Subreddit!

Last edited by eliw00d; 2nd Dec 15 at 11:55 AM.

The only online match I ever played against other humans was in the CoH 1 Fortress Europe mod.

Will the CoH2 version be available for single-player (me vs. the AI)? If I remember right, the vanilla one was not.

Either way, glad to see it coming back!
    Pulse Carbine Lover, StuG Addict

Our plan is to support both as equally as possible!

if it's not a trade secret, how did you achieve the additional armour angling, I figured the front/rear armour was hardcoded.

It is hard-coded, but we have our armour and penetration handled entirely with SCAR (hence the debug output).

Any match-ups you guys would like to see?
    Last edited by eliw00d; 19th Mar 15 at 9:50 AM.

Well then. This sort of blows my modding plans out of the water. Rather than bend over backwards and try to juggle uni, job, and mod vs. a much more talented modding team, I think I'll just wing what I have your way. I have a notepad file with small arms data and another with statistics for vehicles if you guys are interested, as well as some regarding larger caliber weapons. See below.

!!!Please disregard the health values of the T-60, and the Maxim's penetration values. Those are both still WIP (and incorrect), I just didn't get around to editing them!!!

EDIT: Doh, I also have some orders of battle. As of now, I have this:

I would have more, but I had the order of battle for the combat on the Gustav line, post-Anzio. My objective was for the order of battle during the actual Anzio landings until the end of SHINGLE, so I'm having to start from the ground up tracking orders of battle down to battalion/regimental levels.
    Last edited by Volsky; 2nd Apr 15 at 7:57 PM.
    Your incessant button pounding is killing us!

Heavy panzer under infantry attack!! Why am I shouting this?!

"We aim to remove what is preventing us from preventing our opponent from preventing us from achieving our goals." - Audemed

I shall assume this means the FE modding team isn't interested, then.

We appreciate the offer. However, we already have our own data.

Actually, Sturm and I juggle a lot, too. So, do not give up on your mod so easily!

Sorry for the delay in responding, I got sidetracked. Also, I personally tend to go to the official forums and coh2.org more these days.

Fair enough. My point was, how am I to 'sell' my mod when, imho, FE will do it better? For example, my armor values are drawn from averaging the thickness and angle of every element of a tanks frontal and rear armor; there's no way I could compete with your SCAR-driven system (jelly doesn't come close) that models every single panel (including side armor?). It's like trying to pass of WoWP as a clone of WT; no contest :P

An in-depth look at our armor and penetration system:

Last edited by eliw00d; 13th Jun 15 at 10:23 PM.

A few notes on what was shown:

Shatter Gap
    This is a phenomenon where an AP shell could shatter even though it's effective penetration should have allowed it to punch through. Essentially there's a velocity sweet spot for some shells where the impact force breaks it up, so to properly penetrate it needs to be above or below that sweet spot. In some cases the shell shatters but pieces of it still manage to get through, but with less of an effect. Capped ammunition (APC and APCBC) suffers from shatter less than uncapped ammunition, as well as having a higher nose hardness on the projectile (German ammunition consistently measured above the hardness threshold needed to avoid the shatter gap, for example).

Randomized Hits
    The hits all look like they're striking the upper hull, but that's just because units auto-aim for the center of the target. In reality a tank would get hit all over the place, since most gunners would just aim for the center and then errors in range estimation or lead time would result in the target getting hit in any number of places. Aiming for a specific spot is something that rarely happened in the heat of battle. So we randomly choose a spot on that facing that gets hit.

No Critical Hits Yet
    We do have a system in the works for tracking what crew members and/or objects inside the tank are hit when a round penetrates, but we turned it off for this demonstration, and not every tank has it yet. With the system on, a tank will get knocked out much sooner than shown, since crew members will be killed off, or the ammunition detonates, or the crew decides to abandon their tank and flee.
    Last edited by Sturmhaubitze; 15th Jun 15 at 12:00 PM.

I'm glad you guys are at it again. I never had a chance to see what you'd done in the original

13. Forum Subscriber  #13
    This is amazing. I love that you have simulated side armour.

How did you get the units to use abilities, did you do all that with scar as well? That is really impressive.

Thanks!

I am not really sure what you mean about units using abilities?

15. Forum Subscriber  #15
    Sorry, units using the antitank grenades and grenade launchers and AT selecting correct ammo without player input
    Last edited by KanKrusha; 8th Nov 15 at 10:32 PM.

Ah, yes. Actually, that is all done with attributes. I wish we could do it through SCAR, though.

Thread Information