Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

2016 Movies Worth Watching

2016 Movies Worth Watching

Because some people were too lazy to make the thread themselves, I now proudly present to you the 2016 Movies Worth Watching thread HD Remix. I went to see Deadpool this afternoon.

It was good. Go watch it. I was actually really worried about that movie because the trailer fell completely flat for me, but it was exactly what I wanted out of a Deadpool movie.DP was really funny, it had good action, gore, titties and dong, and it was chock full of references and 4th wall breaking jokes (but in a good way). It was incredibly stupid and I loved every second of it.

Is this what you wanted? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?
    Last edited by Kronoch; 14th Feb 16 at 10:25 AM.

Don't mess sunshine. OpelFalcon's Avatar
    Deadpool is good.

Go see it, you will have fun. If not, you're a dry shite.

EDIT:

Deadpool Review

I don't normally like Ryan Reynolds but man did he play the part well. I went into this film expecting to be tutting my way through and disliking the potty humour but it was hilarious. Damn good fun. And his missus in this is smoking (Fans of Serenity/Firefly and the later episodes of SG1 will appreciate her)

4. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #4
    I'm pretty sure I don't want to see a dong in a movie about the ugliest superhero(villain).

6. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #6
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_anaesthesia View Post
    https://youtu.be/96EChBYVFhU
    oops sorry wrong forum
    Well... that's different. Didn't they learn anything from Doom (the movie's) stupid FPS section?

Still, kinda cool that they just filmed the entire movie with what looks like a GoPro. Eh. Not excited.

https://youtu.be/96EChBYVFhU
    oops sorry wrong forum
    wat

Looks, eh, interesting. These things are decent as youtube shorts, but don't see it holding my attention for a feature length film.
    "Celtic fans right now sit in silence and watch, and hope that the damage doesn't get any worse from this Graham Carey free kick. Away by Wilson. Teale. Still options waiting in the middle for St. Mirren...OH, AND THEY HAVE ANOTHER ONE! It's stunning! It's absolutely stunning at Hampden park! And it's Steven Thompson, who scores his thirteenth goal of the season, and that might just be the goal that takes St. Mirren into the league cup final!" - 27/01/2013

I actually saw a trailer for that and figured it was a short movie someone made for fun. The only thing that was throwing me off was Sharlto Copley being in it, but I figured someone looks like him or dude is doing random stuff for fun between his Blomkamp stuff.

Also Deadpool was great fun, another reccommendation here.

I have to agree - through that trailer for the "first person" film I kept thinking - ok so its first person for a bit, kind of like a homage to the first Robocop film and then it will go to normal; but no they kept it going all the way. Honestly for a whole film it will have to be darn special and really the way its put together it really looks like is a computer game made into a film [which is going to be darned dull when the player - viewer - can't do anything :P]

Yea, I mean it also has a 'silent protagonist'.

The first easter egg I noticed in Deadpool was a floating cup during the opening credits with "Rob L" written on it. He was then later referenced again when we first see Wade walk through the bar, where he greets another patron as "Liefeld".

12. Tabletop Senior Member  #12
    Don't sass me, boy. Waterbizkit's Avatar
    Deadpool good. Would recommend. Wins four out of five Internets.

Does Stan lee cameo?
    -Ulti-

I teleported home one night,
    With Ron and Sid and Meg.
    Ron stole Meggie's heart away,
    And I got Sidney's leg.

Yup, and is even credited as "Useless cameo" or something like that

15. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #15
    Deadpool seems to be doing gangbusters business. The showing I went to tonight wound up selling out a few moments after I got my ticket. Rather surprising it's doing so well, but good for it!

Also, I liked the post-credits 'stinger'. Deadpool 2: Deadpool and Cable should be fun

I think a lot of it is just relief that they didn't fuck it up like they did with Deadpool in the Wolverine movie...

I mean... I don't even...

That was all kinds of stupid rolled into one.

Not surprising that they just needed to not be completely moronic to get a decent movie out of a wise cracking fratboy with super healing and cool weapons.
    It takes a lot of argument
    to convince most people
    that they are lying.

stan lee makes probably the best cameo ever (except for ryan reynolds himself in Ted at Flash Gordon's party)

18. Gamers Lounge Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Carach View Post
    I don't normally like Ryan Reynolds but man did he play the part well. I went into this film expecting to be tutting my way through and disliking the potty humour but it was hilarious. Damn good fun. And his missus in this is smoking (Fans of Serenity/Firefly and the later episodes of SG1 will appreciate her)
    Deadpool is the part he really was born to play.

And the movie was great. The comedic timing in the actual movie is a lot better than the trailers would suggest.

So they already found the guy to play Cable it seems. It's this guy: https://twitter.com/IAmStephenLang/s...37537565347841

Can't wait to see him with a billion belts and pouches

Decided I'd go see Deadpool this afternoon as a Valentines outing with my partner... only to find all four showings for today at the good theater sold out already. Booked for 3:30pm tomorrow... The 12:30 was already down to crappy seats. o.o
    "Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain."
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

21. General Discussions Senior Member The Studio Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Jopax View Post
    So they already found the guy to play Cable it seems. It's this guy: https://twitter.com/IAmStephenLang/s...37537565347841

Can't wait to see him with a billion belts and pouches
    He's certainly the actor who came to mind first when considering who to play him for me. He can play mostly-the-same-personality he did in Avatar and it'd be a great fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    Decided I'd go see Deadpool this afternoon as a Valentines outing with my partner... only to find all four showings for today at the good theater sold out already. Booked for 3:30pm tomorrow... The 12:30 was already down to crappy seats. o.o
    Shit, son. I guess the marketing team who decided Deadpool made an excellent Valentines day date were right. I guess technically it's a love story, but come on now.

So, Deadpool looks like it is the 5th best opening weekend for a Marvel movie so far:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...er=DESC&p=.htm

Let's hope this shows Fox that you don't have to make shitshoveled movies just to keep the IP. Maybe they'll put the same amount of effort and care into the next one too. Or rather, let the people who are capable of doing that do their damn job properly.

To be fair to Fox, as much as I would like to see all the properties under Marvel Studios' control again, I liked Days of Future Past quite a bit. Certainly better than First Class.

the new X men films are good.

These rights though have messed up some franchises. Spiderman is going to see a third person play Peter park in the last 10 years. Within 2 years of a previous Spider man film being released. Fantastic 4... well... i think i don't need to expand on that disaster..

26. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #26
    Deadpool was terrific. Absolutely hilarious, it's a must-see.
    "The ecosystem! We destroy that and this is ovah! CHAAAARGE!" - Lomax
    Doltmarines, for the Emprah: the place to play Dawn of War: Soulstorm
    "I'd probably lose my shit if I saw a mushroom with a mouth, eyes, and legs walking toward me in real life. That doesn't make me afraid to play Mario." - Starblade

I'm still hoping Peter Parker bites the dust in Civil War and the MCU main Spiderman is Miles Morales.

What is this? I don't even...

Proudly Politically Incorrect pseudonymn's Avatar
    ^ Why the hate for Peter Parker?
    ryan reynolds himself in Ted at Flash Gordon's party)
    What's that now?
    Linkee no workee
    Last edited by pseudonymn; 16th Feb 16 at 6:08 PM. Reason: bloody phone posting

Huh, it worked earlier today, in any case, Stephen Lang is the guy, from Avatar and those crappy shows with dinosaurs and time travel or something.

it did indeed work earlier.

Deadpool was amazing. Spent almost the entire movie in stitches.
    "We are the most civilised race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other."
    Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth
    Formerly DarkelfLord

^ Why the hate for Peter Parker?
    There are a number of reasons to want Parker dead. First: The Death of Spiderman was a really, really, great story. Absolutely brilliant. As a massive Spiderman fan? It was handled really well and it hit my feels with a critical hit. Seriously. I loved it. Granted, not related to Civil War... but fuck me it was good to see a hero die like that.

Second: People are getting sick of Peter Parker because he keeps getting redone.

Third: Marvel, as far as I know, still own the rights to Miles Morales. Which would put Sony out in the cold where they belong after fucking around with the Spiderman franchise like they have.

Fourth: I want to see Parker die. Like in the Ultimate Spiderman, Death of Spiderman. This point goes twice because it was so damn beautiful. If you haven't read it... read it. Though I'd start at the beginning of Ultimate Spiderman. Not too long. Or, at least, start at the Clone Saga for some background.

Eh my dislike is that the Hollywood machine only wants to do introduction stories. We might get 2 or so sequels (because 3 films is a magic number thanks to Lord of the Rings and it seems no one is willing to try 4) then they reboot. It's almost ridiculous because its not just the same theme but the same story - Spiderman had 3 goes; heck Hulk had them coming out so fast they were almost on top of each other.

Hollywood seems really scared at making a longer arc of films; I suspect because some maths somewhere says that "new" film series always get more bums on seats than long story arcs told over multiple films. That and I suspect that the nature of how scripts and then films are put together destroys any chance for a long arc with high interconnections between each film; since many interconnections would be minor points in earlier films which are often for the chop or change. So you have very light very casual links film to film mostly like you do with many TV series - start and finish being the only key important parts story advance wise.

i don't really get that though because the harry potter films were making more money with each release. Twilight too (though god knows why - hours of wasted time)

You went to Harry Potter for that? And Twilight?

How about Star Wars? Die Hard? Mission Impossible? To a lesser extent, Aliens? Etc.

You, sir, are skirting rather close to the line between cool and not cool. Stay on the cool side, man. Stay cool.

I'm not saying that Harry Potter was bad... just that your "go to" for that example should have been something else. And then Twilight?

Yeah, no.

what i was saying was even an absolute steaming pile of rubbish that was Twilight still made tons of money.

Aye there are examples; but they tend to be tied to books. Which is odd when you consider that comics have a huge library of material; however it seems that book series carry enough weight to push for longer film arcs. A few of the other long running series that push into more than 3 films have tended to be revivals of a genre.

That said for some reason the comic group really likes to stick to the 3 film formula; even if that.

Bear in mind iron man and thor are only stopping at 3 because thats where the actors wanted to stop. Not sure about cap.
    I don't know what i'm talking about, ignore me.

Thousands of years ago, Egyptians worshipped what would become our ordinary housecat. The cats have never forgotten this.

39. Forum Subscriber  #39
    Saw Dead Pool, like everyone else I was in stitches the whole time. i would rate it "very good" rather than "terrific". It always takes > 1/3 of a movie for me to start liking Ryan Reynolds. Although the different characters were supposed to have different powers they were all amazingly strong with amazing toughness; I like a bit of "balance" in my superheroes (too much computer game modding!!). Some of the dialogue was spoken too quickly and unclearly so i think i missed a few penis jokes, which i really resent. Rest of it was great - great fight scenes and with a novel edge, great dialogue when i could hear it, loved the villain, satisfying finish.

PS - definitely an R16. Violence is violent. Language is language. Go see it. You will have a new respect for sandpaper.
    ~ It is a truth universally acknowledged that a man in possession of a bolter must be in want of a chainsword ~

but they tend to be tied to books. Which is odd when you consider that comics have a huge library of material
    answered the question you and we all ask tbh. Why are comics treated differently. There's literally tonnes of material to fall back on in comic books.

I think Carl hits on what is the more important factor in these trilogy-and-no-more series, though. Actors don't really want to be spending their lives on one project. If they did they would work on the Soaps :P So i think losing the actor means things tend to need rebooting etc

That is a solid point to consider...

Though I, for one, would be fine with them replacing the actors every once in a while if it meant that I could actually get a continued story rather than another re-hash and introduction every fucking time.

It would just take once scene per movie that the actors change for them to establish that, hey, Spiderman is now played by this guy! Or Iron Man is now played by Bruce Willis. Then continue from where you left off with the previous movies. No need to introduce the concept all over again and establish backstory and such.

Hell, they did it in Iron Man with James Rhodes.

Well, they could do it the way they handled the Incredible Hulk, tbh. The highlighted his origin story in a series of flash-back type events while rolling the opening credits and immediately dug in to the meat and potatoes of the movie. While at first I resented the departure from the first film's story arc, I appreciated not having to sit through Bruce Banner's hulkification backstory again.

True.

And it made a much better movie because of it. Norton did a good job at it. And then when they switched him out for Ruffalo, I was sad to see Norton go... but Ruffalo did a good job too. And, again, we didn't have to sit through the whole backstory again to know who Hulk was... just a single scene to explain that this is the new Banner actor and then move the fuck on.

I have to admit, Ruffalo is nearly the one and only thing about the Avengers movies that irks me. It's not that he's not good at playing Banner, it's just that physically I can't see him as Banner. He's not scrawny enough.

So it's not probably coming out anytime soon, but King just confirmed Idris Elba and Matthew MacConaughey as lead roles in the adaptation of The Dark Tower series.
    squeeeeeeeeeeee

deadpool is totaly a must-see movie. and can't wait to watch High-Rise casting Hiddleston and Irons

47. Gamers Lounge Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member  #47
    Two things.

1) Not a movie, but the upcoming production of Neil Gaiman's American Gods has cast Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday, which is awesome.

2) Trailer for the all-female Ghostbusters is out. I want to like it but I can't say I'm champing at the bit on the strength of this.

They should have left the entire franchise with just the original movie. The last two were barftastic. I can't see this one being anything other than stupid reincarnated.

Also, how has mighty Thor fallen so low?

It's an all female cast spoof of an 80s comedy. It's kinda 30+ years late!

That said its open and honest about what its going to be - the trailer kind of makes me a little worried that the cast is rather plain; I don't mean in looks/appearance but kind of in acting style and delivery - a few of those jokes appear terribly forced/dry in the trailer so I hope with film context they have better delivery.

50. Modding Senior Member Tabletop Senior Member Boardwars Senior Member  #50
    Common consensus is that the trailer is lacking, more than perhaps the movie itself. Bad framing, etc. Lotta expectations for it in general.
    I am an Iron Warrior. Iron Within, Iron Without.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information