Extended Rules and FAQ
Welcome to the Officer's Lounge.
All of the normal rules that apply to all of the other forums apply. You may read the overall Forum rules here.
The moderators for this forum at the moment are bluevorlon, IonFish, and The Reflection. (Before, in the Third Relic Boards ceejayoz, blackjack, The Reflection, and Sorak were moderators.)
(Thankfully, I saved all of the below before the Purge and didn't have to rewrite it)
The following aren't really rules but are answers to common questions, and an orientation for those new to this forum.
They aren't meant to scare anyone away, old or new. They are simply meant to clarify a few things.
What happened to most of the Board Wars?
They (voluntarily) moved to the HWU Board War forum.
Technically, they aren't banned here, but I'm sure many of the traditional ficties here would encourage you to go there, because it doesn't bump down stories. Additionally, since it is a dedicated Board War forum, your Board Wars will get more attention there.
What kinds of fiction can I post?
The following is meant to be a rule-of-thumb only, not a rule. Veteran ficties probably already know what belongs in this forum. This is only for those who do not feel certain or are new to this forum.
This was a question that came up on the old forum once at a thread in Forum issues. The moderator at the time, FoX, posted this reply:
Pretty much any of the following is acceptable in this forum:Any science-fiction will fly in that forum. Other forms will as well but I just havent seen it happen yet. If its a steamy romance novel you might want to keep it out though
- Please note that when the term "literary work" is mentioned, the understood implication is that the "works" referred to are literary works you authored or that you have permission from the author to post. In other words, no posting other people's work without permission - this supercedes all following rules, even if they say "any" work is acceptable.
- Speculative fiction (i.e. sci-fi/fantasy) literary works. Literary works can include a story, dramas, scripts, poems, lyrics, parodies, free verse thoughts, logs, essays, musings in the style of the Limandatt (sorry, couldn't resist )...basically any creative work done mainly in text.
- Any discussion, criticism, reactions, explanations, or debate pertaining to such literary works, including the themes, ideas, emotions, or theories brought up in the work (for example if work A says that the Turanic Raiders are Unbound, a discussion on whether the Turanics really can be Unbound is allowed). Polls like "What is the best Fiction work" are part of this category. Just try not to take those so seriously as to provoke a flame war.
Comments are welcome and even encouraged. As a point of kindness, if you read a work of fiction, please do spend a moment to write comments (Of course, we aren't going to force you to write them, but it is nice when you do) . Keep comments constructive; no flames or anything of that matter.
- Although many of you don't like it, Board Wars are a form of literary work and are allowed. However, there have been many, many discussions about them, and we have come up with the following guideline - We suggest a limit of 10 active Board Wars at one time. We will not be enforcing this rule unless you start abusing it (like the entire forum is only Board Wars or something) but we do ask the Board Warriors to be considerate and follow this limit. Since most of you have moved to the HWU Board War forum (see above), this shouldn't be a problem (and we do reccomend Board Wars be started there).
- Speculation on the Homeworld universe or the universes of any Homeworld fiction. For example, on the old forum had threads pertaining to the nature of the Bentusi and the Galactic Council. Another thread let posters post new races in the Homeworld universe. Another discussed which ship of a list from various sci-fi universes (including Homeworld) would win in a fight. These are all allowed.
- Announcements or requests concerning anything to do with Homeworld fiction (ex. the opening of a new fiction site is allowed)
- Discussion on things related to the process of writing itself are allowed.
- Community building things are allowed here. We mean Fiction forum community related things, or at the very least, Relic community related things. This is not General Discussions. But we do certainly welcome things like bluevorlon's Relic Board Movie, Don Armageddon's spinoff to that, and blackjack's Officer Lounge: The Movie here. Just remember - keep it reasonable.
- If you have posted something on the old Fiction forums and it was never locked or deleted, it's probably okay here too.
- Other kinds of fiction are probably good too.
- Anything that would be banned by the overall forum guidelines should not be posted here (ex. don't post things that are meant to be prejudiced).
If you aren't sure, feel free to send a private message to the moderators of the forum.
Where else can I find Homeworld fiction?
There are two large Homeworld fiction sites operating at this moment. They are Kiith Iopia and the Homeworld X Fiction Center. At these places you will find a wealth of fiction.
In addition, there are the Sierra analogues of these forums:
Sierra Homeworld Fan Fiction Forum
And the Homeworld Universe equivalent:
Homeworld Universe Fiction forums
If you know of any other fan fiction site or forum, feel free to send a private message to me.
What about all of the threads on the old Relic Forum and purged threads?
Look under The Archive
What else is there in this subforum?
The subforum is meant to provide resources for writing and the Fiction community, as well as preserving the Fiction heritage.
It also holds old competitions and workshops.
At the moment, there is
- The Extended Rules / FAQ
- The Archive
- Resources for Writing
- Becoming A Better Writer - Advice and Suggestions
- The Monument
- Short-Story Competition
- April Workshop: Character Voice
More will be added later.