This applies to:
- Homeworld Cataclysm
- All OSes
1. When launching game, hour glass appears but nothing happens after.
2. When launching game, 2 intro movie displays but then blank screen with music / game quits to desktop.
3. no CD in drive message
4. it just won't run okay?!
CAUSE and SOLUTION/WORKAROUND:
1. For hour glass problem, it appears to be a conflict between the copy protection scheme used on HW/HWC cd and your particular CD/DVD drive. If this is indeed the case, there is no apparent effective fixes excepts for using a different drive or to apply a game fix (which technically is violating the EULA). Contact moderator or Sierra tech support.
2. Enable commandline /disableAVI, see the HW/HWC commandline FAQ.
3. Try commandline /CDpath = x or Compatibility Mode if you are in NT.
4. Of course always patch your copy of the game to the latest versions. Then if compatibility mode and /disableavi does not work for example, in the infinite wisdom of Shin, disable your soundcard and try it again. Any more complicated than that, right now I recommend you contact tech support or post a message on the forums.