Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Expansion Pack (official)

Expansion Pack (official)

It's coming an expansion pack to DOW

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02...s_6118560.html

Fall cant come soon enough
    Last edited by Sajuur; 14th Feb 05 at 8:58 PM.

Star Wars Kid
    cool
    Last edited by Star Wars Kid; 15th Feb 05 at 1:27 PM.

So...no more Expansion threads?

YAY!

Of course that slack is going to be made up with patch questions...

PS: DoW:Ascension > DoW:Winter Assault

I'm sorry but the latter title just reminds me of MOH.

Oh and shad lied to us

Jinn Kaas
    Hallelulah! Yay! Yay!

i'm happy

happy happy joy joy! and imperial guards! yay! dope hope they add BANEBLADE! or a STORMBLADE hell any blade tank would rock

gruenLing
    why imps?
    i want tau or nids...

That's incredibly simple...

Guard is already in the game to an extent .

valthemu
    I was hoping for an expansion from day one.

I thought the Imperial Guards was the absolute last thing they would do for an expansion.

This sucks big time!!!

I was hoping for Necrons are something more exotic than IG - which was also in the single player. I think they must have thought IG is easier to do cause they have a lot of the artwork already completed.

If the IG are not head and shoulders above what I saw in the single player - then I will just pass on this expansion.

i wonder if there will be new units for each race (hope so)...

I was hoping for Necrons are something more exotic than IG - which was also in the single player. I think they must have thought IG is easier to do cause they have a lot of the artwork already completed.

If the IG are not head and shoulders above what I saw in the single player - then I will just pass on this expansion.
    Well,they gotta balance out the IG...

White_DragonZ
    it doesnt really matter, atm mods are being done to include, necrons, tau, nids and deamonhuntors. see them here
    http://clanforums.relicnews.com/index.php?

im sure nids modders have already released an alpha, i shall find the link...link here
    http://www.dudeslair.com/dow/

We've released an alpha for nids. However, said Alpha contains absolutley nothing new. Did you hear me, NOTHING!!!
    All it is is a test for stats. There are no new models, just renamed and restatted models. So quit asking why there are no new models.
    A beta with models will be out once Stryer and Ciad finish all of the necessary models.

Just so I can say I said it first.

I think that this is going to be just the first of several expansion packs. I think that for every expansion pack they will release a new race for play and introduce yet another race as part of the single player campaign to wet our whistles and make us want more. That way they can make a extra $20-$50 bone off of us every 6-12 months.

And I will like it

This is how capitalism, showbiz, and successful mega corps work.

See how they are?

But me for one will continue to buy them as long as they keep up the great work and continue to fix major problems as they come along.

~0dyguru

“Next year we will be able to buy Relic” ~Gary Stevens <<<HaHa

SqueeMK2
    Well, I'm looking forward to an expansion, but I've gotta say I'm kinda disappointed in Imperial Guard. I mean, we've already got humans with the space marines, not to mention there's already some Imperial Guard stuff in DoW. Just seems suspiciously like trying to make a quick buck off of DoW.

Still, I'll probably get it, just because I really enjoy DoW anyway. I just really hope they also add stuff to all the other races, because if not, I have a feeling that I'll feel kinda cheated by it.

And yeah, Winter Assault is a kinda cheesy name in my mind.

Well, 0dyguru, even if you're true - Relic is a bunch of TRULY greedy bastards, if they are gonna charge us with an Imperial Guard expansion, when many Imps are allready in this friggin game.

I bet you they add yet another race in the next expansion, that will be locked for multiplay, but unlocked in the second expansion :P

Just so I can say I said it first.

I think that this is going to be just the first of several expansion packs. I think that for every expansion pack they will release a new race for play and introduce yet another race as part of the single player campaign to wet our whistles and make us want more. That way they can make a extra $20-$50 bone off of us every 6-12 months.

And I will like it

This is how capitalism, showbiz, and successful mega corps work.

See how they are?

But me for one will continue to buy them as long as they keep up the great work and continue to fix major problems as they come along.
    You are aware that you sound like a much nicer version of that dude that flamed THQ for trying to do the exact same thing right? Personally I'd prefer if they did one or two and than went to a sequel instead.

PS.I'm willing to bet we'll see some of the suggestions we've made here to be in the expansion,like a friend's list and team automatching if we don't see them in the next patch.
    Last edited by Noir; 14th Feb 05 at 9:20 PM.

Fixed title for spelling and sticky.

I wouldn't count expansion threads out of the question, few people read the stickies anyway it seems...

I'm actually happy it's IG. I played the Inquisition mod and there's nothing quite as much fun as watching 200 lasers blast away at smaller squads and do nothing in true Imperial Guard fashion. It made me wish they were a playable race, and now it seems theywill be, so I'm content.

Titan IX
    Does anyone remember the poll THQ did about this same question? Did the Imperial Guard really win out there? I thought Nids were ahead on that poll, but my memory is probably failing me here... Tried checking thq for the poll results but no go and same for my google search too.

I have to say I am a little disappointed too, we have plenty of humans and this just seems kind mundane compared to the others.

The only redeeming thing here will be the vehicles, a Stormbalde or Baneblade would be cool but just not cool enough in my opinion. I can do a mechanized division in plenty of other games was hoping for better(read exotic) on the second round of DoW.

Anyway will wait and see, hoping it works out okay. I don't want to drop more than 20 bucks for just some more humans. :cranky:

I don’t think that the people at Relic are any more greedy than anybody else that works for a living. Cunning, Brilliant, and Shady. More than likely. I sense that they are my kind of people. They’re not robbing and killing. They’re just game illin.

Plus if they do it like I said it would be steady work for another two or three years in a business where people are often laid off after projects. Also as mentioned after the game prices start to drop they can wrap up the game with all of its expansions that didn’t sell in to a oversized bullet proof steel box set like other companies did with Starcraft, Warcraft, Mechwarrior 4 ect.

And yes Unknown. I know I sound like a nice version of that guy. But Relic makes kick ass games. Mind you they are not perfect and some times they are lacking in some departments. But kick ass enough to have a rabid fan boi base like us.

Read this tread see what everyone is saying about the Imperial Guard. We already want more. As long as they keep waving a carrot in front of us like a dirt farmer does a donkey we will keep wanting. We are victim’s of our own lust and desires.

~0dyguru

“The criminal mind is ingenious by nature” ~My Step Dad

Titan IX: True, I didn't even think of this at first, but the current poll @ thq.co.uk doesn't even have an alternative for Imperial Guards;
    http://www.thq.co.uk/games/product/W...rodPlatform=pc

...And the previous polls were all won by the Tyranid option, so I dare not guess what the current poll alternatives will tell us of either this expansion, upcoming expansions or perhaps a sequal? ...Or perhaps just bad information between THQ and Relic?

Perhaps they will unveil another race this summer.

I understand the desire more expansions in order to satisfy so many different tastes 0dy, but I simply can't support Relic becoming EA and releasing a trillion expansions. I'm sure that a lot of people would agree with me that we're fans, but we're not thier whores for them to simply throw out a few thousand additional lines of code with. Perhaps one or two expansions, but even covering all the main races in the universe requires releasing 4 additional expansions, and by that time we could all be asking for a Sequel instead.

Still,Expansion=Happy Unknown.

You know what I find amusing? We have these guys who are flaming Relic for finishing the IG off for the expansion as a fifth race. What game has had an expansion that has included a new totally unique race? Not even mighty blizzard has done this. Would of been amusing to see the reaction if they said that the cameo race was nids and that there would be no fifth race. People would be flaming relic for being lazy and not including a fifth race/finishing the IG.

I'm quite happy with the decision. I'm also quite surprised that they are doing a fifth race, which is a good thing no matter what race it is.

LoganCrosius
    imperial guard troops are in the first game, but they have a ton more to offer with an expansion. if they will be the focus-- we should see sentinels, ogryns, lots of tanks, snipers, and stormtroopers. my post is speculation, but there should be alot more there than just cadians and russ tanks. i will wait and see before i cast an opinion. it could be really friggin good!

One word: COMMISSARS!!!!

What if they were already working on the expansion and were polling for either a follow up expansion that would be some time off or an additional race for DOW 2?

Joker, Smoker, Midnight Toker GreatSamaman's Avatar
    Booyakasha!! I can't wait. I loved the Imps in the Single Player. But then again I'm a rabid 40K nut, so seeing a line of guardsmen getting owned is totally awesome to me, even if they are my troops.
    The Great Samaman :D :D :D
    "60% of the time, it works every time"
    Where you need to be: Relic News | WH40K: DoW Forums
    My Sites: Iron Dwarf Productions | Newgrounds

What if they were already working on the expansion and were polling for either a follow up expansion that would be some time off or an additional race for DOW 2?
    while making 2 completely unrelated games at the same time? That would mean that somehow Relic managed to add another 30+ people to thier staff, an entirely new development team, without us noticing which somehow doesn't seem very practical.

It certainly is nice to have another race that pretty much has all light infantry.Should strike a nice balance showing that heavy infantry is not the norm in 40k.The IG as whole is pretty horrible at close combat though, and I hope that they will reflect this in the game.They also need numbers that can surpass even orks hope the engine can handle it :argh: .

And the thought of super heavy tanks being relic units really appeals to me.Baneblade anyone :smash: ?

Also while I'm very happy about an expansion, it also (probably) means we wont be seeing any more patchs.The good out weighs the bad though.

I would doubt there wouldn't be any new patches, since Cowboy made it seem like a side thing to what they were working on, which is apparently this.

Heck if they played it smart they would do the best balancing job they possibly can and than put it a feature or two suggested here, than use the other suggestions for the expansion. Partially contrary to what some others may think, the Relic and THQ guys seem to do plenty of this:

They could be polling for a cameo race in the expansion.

Wanna get a mint? General Blaze's Avatar
    Oh don't worry, man. 90% of the time, expansion packs will fix known bug fixes in the game. In fact, look at Blizzard. Even if their expansion pack was released, they are STILL supporting the previous game. Knowing Relic, we'll see the same treatment as well. Also, who knows whether we'll be charged for the next expansion. It could be downloadable ala' Insect Invasion.

Actually Unknown I didn't mean to work on them all now, I meant maybe they were polling for a future work as they were already working on the expansion. That way they could have been polling for an additional future expansion OR possibly DOW2 rather than just to test what the reception of IG would be.

SqueeMK2
    Just wondering if I could get a PM from whoever deleted my other post, explaining why it was deleted.

The gist of it was replying to 0dyguru's theory of Relic releasing a bunch of expansion packs. I don't think they'll do that, because each expansion splits the multiplayer community since you can't play with someone who has an expansion you don't, and expansions tend to sell less the older a game gets.

Then I figured a DoW 2 would be more likely after this expansion, than another expansion to DoW 1.

Oh don't worry, man. 90% of the time, expansion packs will fix known bug fixes in the game. In fact, look at Blizzard. Even if their expansion pack was released, they are STILL supporting the previous game. Knowing Relic, we'll see the same treatment as well. Also, who knows whether we'll be charged for the next expansion. It could be downloadable ala' Insect Invasion.
    I doubt some of the more serious issues can wait 7 months,even I can't. The best thing the Relic guys could possibly do is finish as many of the big issues like balancing and bugs as fast as they can as a patch and rush it out the door, THAN worry about any additional features. I can wait for a friend's list until mid september,but I doubt can wait for WS vs Orks for that period of time.

Actually Unknown I didn't mean to work on them all now, I meant maybe they were polling for a future work as they were already working on the expansion. That way they could have been polling for an additional future expansion OR possibly DOW2 rather than just to test what the reception of IG would be.
    That makes more sense i suppose.

“I would doubt there wouldn't be any new patches, since Cowboy made it seem like a side thing to what they were working on, which is apparently this.” ~UnKnown<ID>

Yep, That’s what I’m thinking too. It’s a bit unfortunate that I will have to live with the FC stun bug and a few others all summer but what the hell at least I think they will get fixed and my favorite game will be expanded upon a little.

~0dyguru

“You can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you might find
    You get what you need” ~The Rolling Stones

Yep, That’s what I’m thinking too. It’s a bit unfortunate that I will have to live with the FC stun bug and a few others all summer but what the hell at least I think they will get fixed and my favorite game will be expanded upon a little.
    I meant something fixing that and a few other of the more serious issues in the game, and than moving onto an expansion. This isn't exactly new, because CA did this with R:TW already though they did release a 53 mb patch. For this to work Relic has to potentially release a very large patch indeed.

Sgt Tyr
    3 things:

1.) FREAKING AWESOME.

2.) CHAPLAINS

3.) How about adopting some of the current awesome mods that are being made already and making them official?

Serpentine
    Excellent! I can't wait, personally! More DoW to satisfy my fix, actually I don't know if this is a GOOD thing or not.

SqueeMK2
    You know what I find amusing? We have these guys who are flaming Relic for finishing the IG off for the expansion as a fifth race. What game has had an expansion that has included a new totally unique race?
    Command And Conquer Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge. Not exactly totally unique since they sort of took the Yuri clone unit from the commies and gave it to the new faction, but they're more unique than Imperial Guard for DoW.

And true, Blizzard didn't add new races to their RTS games in expansions, but they did an excellent job of adding new units to them.

And I know I'm complaining about the expansion quite a bit, but I'm still pretty happy that we're getting one.

Captain Taco
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown<ID>
    So...no more Expansion threads?
    Probably not. We'll get bitching about lack of Tyrannids or Tau or whatever instead.

Nevermind. We got mods for that.

Poster Formerly Known As naradaman's Avatar
    Well, 0dyguru, even if you're true - Relic is a bunch of TRULY greedy bastards, if they are gonna charge us with an Imperial Guard expansion, when many Imps are allready in this friggin game.

Theres only the stock guard squad and a tank, and I guess you can count the Inquisitor as a IG character.

I wonder what affect this will have on the IG (the name escapes me) mod? I can only imagine that it would be more than a little disheartening.

I know everyone is all hyped up about new units and the IG, but I do hope that they include more campaigns. It makes sense to include one in an expansion (probably for the new race), but I do hope they add a few missions for some of the original races.
    3.) How about adopting some of the current awesome mods that are being made already and making them official?
    I think the modding board here would be a great spot for Relic to search for moddeling/coding talent. I know there is a pretty low chance of this happening, but if they pulled it off, it would be great PR and would certainly inspire the current modders. I don't think it's very realistic though.
    "So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

Rasselaunt
    At last some official new ey.. well too bad only IG is knowned but in u have to remember in the original dow the eldar race weren't being showed to later so perhaps there might be a second race in it?

46. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #46
    Unknown, ummm there are 3 teams working at Relic... and possibly a 4th team.

I didn't exactly mean that the major bugs will be fixed in the expansion. i'm saying that the expansion will have all the bugs fixed without needing to patch the previous game. They're still making patches for the game, so you don't HAVE to wait for 7 months for the expansion to get them fixed. Also, expansions tend to have newer units in the game. So who knows? Maybe we'll have a third hero for certain races and new units like every expansion that came out.

Also, the only RTS games that had new races in their expansion packs were C&C Red Alert 2, and The Age of Empires Games. (That includes Age of Mythology as well. )

komninosm
    What I hope is that they add some more functionality along with the eye candy. Micro is overwhelming as it is. I want simple things like being able to use all the abilities of a group (like nades for example) at the same time if I say control+click the ability instead of just clicking it.
    And how about being able to move/attack with the highlighted unit in the group only by issuing a ctrl+command? Other games have this functionality already so it shouldn't be too hard to implement, even for a patch really.

49. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #49
    I have a feeling that they're going to add a bunch of cool stuff.

Although it would be nice to see continued patches in the interm to fix ongoing and everpresent issues.

Mixed feelings here. Talking about an expansion while still not having patched ancient serious issues is the wrong order IMO.
    I also prefer a different non human race.

Ok, I'll admitt, I'm a whiner :werd:

But I also contribute (AI mod beta will be released next few days) so don't be too harsh in your response.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information