Rotating buildings.

Seventh Wave

Rotating buildings.

How come there is no abilty to rotate buildings by 90degree incriments? Or any abilty to decided where to place your HQ building?

You cant rotate buildings because they dont have a fixed "exit point" (the door on the front that some have doesnt have to be the point that units spawn from - set the rally point "above" the building and the units will spawn from the back of the building). Allowing building rotation would have been cosmetic only.

As to placing your HQ building...most RTS games have you starting with your HQ in a fixed location. The older C&C games started you off with a MCV and the homeworld games had your base as a starship but other than that all RTS games that I can think of have your HQ building ready built.

komninosm
    MCV, wasn't that in Dune RTS?
    Rotating buildings makes sense in non square buildings.
    I think War of the Ring allows you to rotate buildings an way you like even 1 degree. It's not what's missing from DoW. So many other important things.

Temepst
    MCV was both i belive, and i havent seen a C&C (maybe generals, but thats crap) that doesnt let you place your construction Yard, tiberian sun lets you, red alert, RA2, etc...

*edit*
    It would be good if we could rotate them, it would help with base layout, since ive run into a spacing problem a couple times(mind you i was drunk, but thats beside the point)

Seventh Wave
    Battlezone 2 not only has you delpoying your own recycler (the main building) but also gives you the abilty to rotate all your buildings. Its so increadibly useful when laying out bases. And Bz2 is such a good game imo.

anyway, i just really miss that function. I think it would be nice if you could deploy your HQ within a certain perimiter, and could decide which direction it faces. Its a 3D game, so lets make it seem like one heh.

Alaitoc
    i think rotating buildings might be a nice feature but there are so many other concerns within these forums regarding balance etc that i imagine any changes like these are a long way off.

Seventh Wave
    Depends how easy they are to do. And if someone nudges them to do it. 'them' being the dark arcane lords of computer programming.

Dune was the precursor to the C&C series in many ways (in terms of game style, not storyline obviously).

Rotating buildings would be a nice touch, but really only cosmetic and not needed IMO.

HFX
    I could see where rotating might help. Imagine making sure your turrents didn't have to turn around to shoot at guys coming through a choke point. That could easily be a second or two advantage to the defender.

Being able to rotate building would be useful in maps where the start area is limited in size, and would help stop units taking the long way round (due to pathing issues) by creating an avenue for passage.

It's not a huge deal, but I've played maps where I would have liked to rotate the HQ perhaps (after I got hammered) or the Chappel Barracks, to allow Marines easier passage, for example.

WH40 Banners & Badges forums
    It's a f@cking TURRET!
    ..beans, roquefort cheese and broccoli

I like the idea of rotateable buildings as well.

Not only would it make for some "pretty" bases, it would offer a few tactical advantages as well.

12. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #12
    How on this green earth would rotating buildings provide a tactical advantage?

GhostyCorn
    maybe he means that turrets don't have to rotate their guns before the can shoot an enemy?

Temepst
    you could use cheap buildings to create a "wall", would prevent short ranged/CC units from doing anything until they get past the "wall". Could also be used to slow down an enemy's invasion...

15. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #15
    Ghosty:

That's the only possible thing I can think of, but I'm pretty sure that turrets rotate towards targets so they're pointing at them before the target comes into firing range.

Temepst:

That's got nothing to do with rotating buildings though. You can do that by placing turrets next to one another as it is now.

Temepst
    true, but being able to rotate buildings, could increase the places you can block. Plus it means you dont need to use turrets only.

(Sr. Member)
    Ugh. Blocking chokepoints with buildings is simply bleah. Not something I'd argue for.

It's just silly, especially for a game that is NOT supposed to be defensive.
    All my "by the numbers" posts and other useful info:
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?p=698050

18. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #18
    Temepst:

There are only a handful of non-square buildings in the game, and they're mostly eldar.

How on this green earth would rotating buildings provide a tactical advantage?
    Aside from the turret facing which has already been mentioned, you can jigsaw bases together easier on maps with limited build space.

It doesn't completely change the dynamics of the game, it just offers a few more building options. Especially for the Eldar.

komninosm
    BTW turrets only start rotating when they have a target inside their range. Not that it matters much. And also don't buildings mostly stop vehicles while infantry can pass through the 'cracks'?

Seventh Wave
    those minor things are nice, but the major thing is building space. It is very fustrating to have building space available for lets say, an orbital relay...but it being 90degrees in the wrong direction.

dthorne
    but how can you implement it..think about it.

komninosm
    Easy. Clone other games' methods.
    Like when you have a building shadow on your mouse pointer using the mouse wheel would cause it to rotate (either 90 or 45 degrees) or make it a keyboard shortcut so that it doesn't interefe with zooming.
    Customisable keys are also what's missing from DoW. You can't do it ingame, only if you edit luas (hopefully that wont affect multiplayer) and even then you can't change everything.

Another method is to hold down the left mouse button and move the mouse from left to right to rotate the building. Release the button when you are satisfied.

I'd rather see it as a key command myself. The above method is a little squirly in games that use it. My trick is to rotate the building over another building or unbuildable land until it is facing the way I want, then I release the button and move the building (with its new facing) to the exact location I want. The key command thing really would be better.

komninosm
    That way works best with rotation per 1 degree. If rotation is limited to 90 degrees, the key method is better.

Thread Information