Im sure the title of this thread will cause a few heart flutters, but unfortunately hell is still as hot as ever and Homeworld 3 is still not looking likely to happen in the near future.
The reason for this thread is due to the large number of new threads posted weekly asking about Homeworld 3. When is it going to be made? What is the story of the next game? Is it even going to be made at all? Hopefully this thread will serve to answer some of those frequently asked questions and keep this discussion centralized for people to refer to.
The facts are as follows:
- Sierra/Vivendi Universal (VU Games) own the rights to the Homeworld Universe as a part of the original publishing deal for Homeworld.
- Relic Entertainment is the developer of Homeworld and Homeworld 2.
- Barking Dog is the developer of Homeworld:Cataclysm.
- Neither Relic Entertainment or Barking Dog (who were bought out by Rockstar Games Canada) are able to make another Homeworld game unless hired to do so by Sierra/VU.
- After the release of Homeworld 2, Relic Entertainment were purchased by publisher THQ, and now exclusively make games for them.
- The CEO of Relic Entertainment and originator of Homeworld, Alex Garden, has left Relic and THQ to pursue other projects.
- As THQ do not own the rights to the Homeworld Universe, it is extremely unlikely (read: not going to happen) that Relic will make another Homeworld game (if they even wanted to).
- It is also extremely unlikely that Sierra/VU Games will hire another publisher to make another Homeworld game.
- In a nutshell, it is extremely unlikely that we will ever see a Homeworld 3.
I'm not going to say it will never happen, as they do have a habit of reviving movies & games years later (see Battlestar Galactica for instance), but I highly doubt that it is going to happen in the very near future.
Discuss (if you wish). If anyone (eg Uber/Mecha etc) has any facts they want to add to this post, I'll edit it accordingly. In the future, any new threads asking about Homeworld 3 will be pointed to this thread and locked.