Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

All about HOMEWORLD 3

1. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #1

All about HOMEWORLD 3

Im sure the title of this thread will cause a few heart flutters, but unfortunately hell is still as hot as ever and Homeworld 3 is still not looking likely to happen in the near future.

The reason for this thread is due to the large number of new threads posted weekly asking about Homeworld 3. When is it going to be made? What is the story of the next game? Is it even going to be made at all? Hopefully this thread will serve to answer some of those frequently asked questions and keep this discussion centralized for people to refer to.

The facts are as follows:
    • Sierra/Vivendi Universal (VU Games) own the rights to the Homeworld Universe as a part of the original publishing deal for Homeworld.
    • Relic Entertainment is the developer of Homeworld and Homeworld 2.
    • Barking Dog is the developer of Homeworld:Cataclysm.
    • Neither Relic Entertainment or Barking Dog (who were bought out by Rockstar Games Canada) are able to make another Homeworld game unless hired to do so by Sierra/VU.
    • After the release of Homeworld 2, Relic Entertainment were purchased by publisher THQ, and now exclusively make games for them.
    • The CEO of Relic Entertainment and originator of Homeworld, Alex Garden, has left Relic and THQ to pursue other projects.
    • As THQ do not own the rights to the Homeworld Universe, it is extremely unlikely (read: not going to happen) that Relic will make another Homeworld game (if they even wanted to).
    • It is also extremely unlikely that Sierra/VU Games will hire another publisher to make another Homeworld game.
    • In a nutshell, it is extremely unlikely that we will ever see a Homeworld 3.

I'm not going to say it will never happen, as they do have a habit of reviving movies & games years later (see Battlestar Galactica for instance), but I highly doubt that it is going to happen in the very near future.

Discuss (if you wish). If anyone (eg Uber/Mecha etc) has any facts they want to add to this post, I'll edit it accordingly. In the future, any new threads asking about Homeworld 3 will be pointed to this thread and locked.

Thankye.

Triikor
    Here's a big discussion on HW3, if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by Triikor; 3rd Apr 05 at 7:27 AM.

Thank you Reki, for finally posting this.

EventHorizen
    No HW3? Ever?

Intercept course punched in Elukka's Avatar
    Nope.

jranak
    You know, my heart stops for a moment any time I see this thread at the top of the forum...

--j_k

Nikermaster
    no homeworld3!?!??!?!?!?!?!???!?!?!?' (shots himself)

Lasis
    There still is one possibility: owner can sell title, this way Sierra/VU would get money even without making a HW3, it`s just a business after all.

Corran
    yea but they won't in fear that a half compitent devloper will make a ton of money off of it

TheOrder
    Quote Originally Posted by reki
    It is also extremely unlikely that Sierra/VU Games will hire another publisher to make another Homeworld game.
    Why? What exactly is keeping them from doing this? Sure it wouldn't be like the first two but they own the liscense and it isn't doing them any good now.

Cause VU consists of a bunch of smelly Frenchmen who are on a mission to go out and annihilate game franchises

12. The Studio Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #12
    AMEN Reki. I've given up on HW3 the day I found out THQ bought Relic on well-of-souls. I knew that was the end of it, period. And I do get a bit annoyed with people whose hope surpasses their grasp of the situation.

More likely if there is anything resembling a HW3, it'll come out of the modding community fixing up HW2. But I doubt we'll see a full new game. It'd take an Improbability Drive to get it to happen at this rate.

I may be sad about that, but I'm not about to deny reality.

just make a game with the same names and ships and stuff, but change the nsame, but usually it more complicated than that.....................................halo3 halo3 halo3......................

Star Eagle
    More likely if there is anything resembling a HW3, it'll come out of the modding community fixing up HW2. But I doubt we'll see a full new game.
    Have you taken a look at this? They've basically taken the dust war docs, turned them into a cohiesive story and made a really cool mod from it.

Pretty neat stuff.

Mr. Matt
    An official title seems almost impossible, yes. But never underestimate the skill and enthusiasm of the modding community. Take ST: Bridge Commander, for instance. There are so many new ships and mods for that game, so many new gadgets to play with that were considered impossible years earlier, that it's essentially a completely different game. There is even an unofficial sequel in production by modders, which may have been finished by now. And ST:BC isn't a particularly modder-friendly game.

Point being, it's possible that there could be a sequel, it just wouldn't come with a new graphics engine or a price tag.

Star Eagle
    Exactly. :nod:

17. Child's Play Donor General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member The Workshop Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #17
    Its probably due to HW2-3's crapping on that caused this thread to devolve into a flamewar, so lets just stop with the silly claims about 15 year old schoolkids buying millions of dollars worth of gaming licences which aren't even for sale, ok?

I've deleted all the stupid from this thread so it doesn't have to be locked.

Thankye.

Oh thank the maker for that Reks, and he's claiming to get it from ADV as well. ADV for Sajuuk's sake!!

Star Eagle
    I'd also like to apologize for the comment I made.

It was partially a misguided attempt to be humourously exaggerated, partially 3am nerves, and partially my own foolishness. Needless to say, I don't intend to repeat it.

I'm very sorry for it, and hope that others in the community can please forgive me.

20. Child's Play Donor Technical Help Senior Member General Discussions Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member Forum Subscriber  #20
    In theory nothing is stopping Sierra from having one of their own developers create HW3, but seeing that HW2 didn't sell that many copies and that HW games in general are niche games rather than WC3-style games which everyone wants, I'd say the chances of that happening are, well, pretty much zero.

'd also like to apologize for the comment I made.

It was partially a misguided attempt to be humourously exaggerated, partially 3am nerves, and partially my own foolishness. Needless to say, I don't intend to repeat it.

I'm very sorry for it, and hope that others in the community can please forgive me.
    I'd think the ones who actually care are also probably the ones who've grown thick enough skin to weather that really.

Star Eagle
    True, but as the wise man says...

A generous word turneth aside wrath.

King JM
    Oh well. I guess the HW saga ends here.

Kimimaru
    Why you think so negative? If there are still people out there loving Homeworld there is a chance that there will be a third part^^
    Eventuly they just wait for next Generation of Graphik Engine^^
    (ah that first and second sentence sounds so wise but the spelling is worse :P)

Sjeti scientist
    if it were possible for a team of highly skilled graphic desighners and programers to come togethor then it may be possible to make an HW3 in the form of a MOD for UT 2004. this mod would have to be non-profit in order to avoid being sewed.

i can provide concept desighns for weapons and ships but i cannot draw a decent humanoid figure to save my life. my expirience in desighning paper models have given me a little skill in 3D graphic desighn. i created a Starfox Arwing MOD for a tron type game once.

even if an HW3 UT2004 mod does not become a reality then an assault map could be made to where you infiltrate various ships (reinacting from a mariens eye veiw, the capture of a frigate or capital ship.)

i myself know nothing about MODing FPS games. just an idea for anyone who wants to try if they can. V_V

question:

because sierra is no more, and vivendi seeks to dissolve its publishing segment, what happens to the rights and IPs?
    <Hyperian> yes treb
    <Hyperian> teach me how to be a player like you
    <treb|coffee> 1. learn to dance 2. be yourself 3. treat them as friends
    <Hyperian> those dont work

Quote Originally Posted by Moe
    but seeing that HW2 didn't sell that many copies and that HW games in general are niche games rather than WC3-style games which everyone wants, I'd say the chances of that happening are, well, pretty much zero.
    Keep the faith!

Thief, the brilliant godfather of First Person Sneakers, went into developer limbo when LookingGlass keeled over. Years later another developer picks it up and even hires a lot of the old designers to complete the triology.

So miracels DO happen.

zippy
    remmeber thief 1 was great theif 2 was great and thief 3 wasn't so great.

hw1 was great, hw2 wasn't what it was ment to be...so average, hw3 wont happen.

Sjeti scientist
    I still say a MOD for 1 game or another would be good. ^_^

center
    Well, I must say I've never given up hope of seeing HW3.

Yes, I admit that it was sad for me to hear that even Alex Garden has left Relic and moved on to other projects but even this is not the end.

For me, success of any game lies in devs' creativity and being innovative, and not in superb graphics and ship designs (although that's important, too).

I remember a review of HWC in an unimportant PC magazine. That was September 2001. I thought "Space? Nice. I'll give it a try." I was taken aback by Cataclysm and its ship diversity (many of the designs were taken from HW) but I couldn't understand the story. I learned about HW and bought it, too. I fell in love with it. I have been a fan of the HW Series ever since.

I have been waiting for HW2 in anticipation but when I got my hands on it, I understood that it was going to be a failure.

After that, I read about Relic being purchased by THQ, now Alex Garden leave Relic (which some might view as the end of the HW series) but I don't see anything wrong with it. It is natural, Alex Garden saw HW2 fail, and he moved on to new projects. When the Pope dies, a new takes over its place...

I see that many fans fear that different companies might be hired to develop another HW game. But what is bad with it? Yes, Relic made a damn good start with Homeworld but another company might go even further with its creativity.

What I wanted to say is that you shouldn' think that Relic is the only company that can make wonders with HW. So little is needed. If some other creative people (again, creativity is all we need) take up on HW Series they can develop a game many times more impressive than your beloved HW.

And all that is possible. Anything is possible.

Rebel
    Alright, I know how to pull this off.

First, we need to get in touch with anyone famous who liked homeworld. Then, we need to throw a HUGE concert, using the famous people as sponsors to pay all the performing people. We could have Greenday, and John Meyer, and Pink Floyd, and dozens of other artists! Then, we would get it covered on MTV. When it was all over, we'd have raised a billion billion dollars. Then, as a community, we all use the money to buy the rights to the Homeworld series, and buy Relic. THEN, we offer the original Homeworld team, AlexG especially, large sums of money to work for our newly purchased asset. They then create "Homeworld 3". Bundled with HW3 would be "Homeworld:Source", "Homeworld Cataclysm:Source", "Homeworld 2: How it was really meant to be". Then, to finish it off, we'd hire Yes to perform an extended and embellished version of "Homeworld" for the credits.

So, who knows famous people?

Sjeti scientist
    *sighs and shakes her head with exasperation.*

I highly doubt that would ever be likly to happen. At least my MOD idea is possible.

lol.if only President Bush played homeworld and loved it.then we'd be at homeworld 5 by now
    "You just can't help but notice the irony when someone says "Get a life" in a online message board."

SGT.ANDRUS
    no homeworld 3 was going to write some thing eles but after thinking about it i chose not to why i need not say

has a cool story for a mod planed in the near future and is not shareing back off!

ZogmekGrimjaw
    George Bush is too stupid to turn on a computer and use "the internets", let alone play Homeworld.

Anyway, dont you think that such benefit concerts are better suited to helping eliminate poverty and bring peace to the world through System Shock 3?

*puts on flame retardant suit*

n00bie51
    hw1 was great, hw2 wasn't what it was ment to be...so average, hw3 wont happen.
    I don't even own the game, but I know that people give HW2 more crap than it deserves. I have only recently purchased Homeworld, and yes, it is a great game with great graphics and great gameplay, and people, I've heard about the drastic changes and qualities that were in HW but not in HW2, but you shouldn't compare the two and let it affect your opinion on HW2. I've played the demo for HW2, and it is much graphically better than HW, and is easier to play, since in HW2 you can pan around the screen without going into the sensors manager. There are probably many redeeming qualities in HW2 that weren't in HW, and I'm going to eventually purchase HW2.

I'm sorry to get offtopic but I wanted to get that off my chest somewhere.

HW3? Probably not.

Mechine1511
    i have to agree with nOObie51 i got homeworld:cataclisum and although the graphics were good i still think homeworld 2 was a great improvement and dosen't desurve all the bad things that are said about it.

Anyone heard of supreme commander, the "spiritual sucessor" to TA? Don't rule out the fact that something like this may happen with HW.. *fingers crossed*
    Friendly fire isn't.

sexypanda

wowow wait a second

Last night, 10pm, i started playing homeworld 2. A few hours ago, 11 am, i finished the game. Im at work now, and im not tired at all. I decided to look for a homeworld 3, and found this topic here, and, too bad there wont be a HW3, but why everyone says HW2 sux? Or it wasnt was is was meant to be or something like that...?

HW2 is HARD, i lost my entire fleet at least 5 times in the campaing, made me really angry you see, but the difficult just made my victories sweeter (sp?), and by the final mission, i was shaking! When those planet destroyers started spamming missles, damn i was screaming with myself, but i made thought this last mission without reloading. Im still all excited/ nervours, i think ill be going through HW1 tonight again. Duh, the last time a game affected me like that, i was playing mario 64, in the last boss, being watched by all my friends, but back then i was younger and screaming with a game was normal.

Now, HW2 is beautiful, i loved the fighter squadron idea, and the way they mess technology, religion and mythology is really cool. I loved this game with all my hearth. Im not fan of multiplayer, and maybe im missing something, but why dont you ppl like this game? Did you liked it better when the ships were all square, fighters came 1 by 1 instead of groups of 5, and the interface was more complicated? Or maybe is the lack of the cataclysm ugly siege cannon or the stupid double acolyte? whatswrong?

:meh: :meh: :meh: :meh: :meh:

hw.faLcon
    from what ive heard, since hw2 didnt sell that great and cataclysm failed. i thougt they quit it with hw. . . but ghuess not !!!!! ")
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Aerolight
    through modding, i hope to make a new progenitor looking ship for Homeworld 3.....it's going to be overwhelmingly powerful
    Last edited by Aerolight; 3rd Aug 05 at 9:40 AM.

vazel
    very sad news. a homeworld3 mod still isn't the same as an official homeworld 3 since it's not canon. i like the homeworld story just as much as i like the gameplay. a homeworld 3 mod would just be like fanfiction...

Aerolight
    hehehe ^^, either way, i will attempt to add my ship by mod

Easy Relic makes another game thats like homeworld but has a different name and storyline but same gameplay.

zigjin
    bah. oh ye of little faith. It may be unlikely but lets look at an example of where a series lived on.

We all (or at least most hopefully) know of the game series star fox. The 64 version and the super NES version (I think) were made by Rare, with the rights to the game being owned by nintendo. Shortly after the current systems came out (x-box, ps2, gamecube) Microsoft bought up Rare. Now Rare exclusively (or pretty dang close to exclusivly) makes games for the X-box. What became of the Star Fox series? Nintendo forked the development job over to namco.

So ya see? HM3 has a better chance than some people say. For now be thankful that the other HM games are easy to mod.

Switch
    /reinstalls HW2

At least you're optimistic. =)

At the very least the HW community needs to stay alive.

It's a shame the EULA for HW1's source code prohibits distribution, there could be a HWSCP going on much like the FSSCP (FreeSpace Source Code Project). Though we can always hope the rules will change in the future.

HW2 although having a great graphics engine and interface wasn't a patch on what it was *intended* to be, and nearly was. Hence the crap it gets. Even the developers have told me personally that they were dissapointed with the final result. As HW1 fans, we gamers were expecting great things. I can understand how as a standalone game to someone uninitiated in the universe it could be quite good.

HW3 would need to be everything HW2 was meant to be (dustwars) and more. Megaliths with interiors, really huge asteroids you can build small bases on, etc.

Could it be done? Definitely. The Dustwars team have already implemented proper megaliths, doing things like creating an *actual scale* earth moon object in game. We at least have the modding ability. In terms of creating buildings and such on megaliths and large asteroids, that can also be done. So the talent and ability is there, it's just a matter of synchronising it all.

That of course would be a HW2 to HW3 or HW2.1 mod. An actual sequel would have to be far more involved and contain features not gone into here. We just need to get AlexG onboard...

We'd need some things convincing before we can get him on board. (A stand-by team, modders, texturers, story-writers, concepts artists... etc.) and making this online, is going to take loads of time more then a normal game would. If we could get something going, it would be fan-tastic.

-Rusty, willing.
    Fuckin' gansta.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information