Dawn of Warhammer 40k
This is just an alpha test of my mod, aimed to bring back some 40k-feeling into Dawn of War.
Please be kind to it until it have reached a beta stadium and got all its functions and alterations it's aimed to have.
This is how you install:
Simply unpack the zip-archive straight into your Dawn of War folder. Just make sure that you retain the internal folder structure of the zip file.
When you've unpacked all the contents, you should select the mod from your mod manager inside the game's internal menu.
What's been done in this version:
- The speed of all vehicles, units and heroes are set to correlate with those in WH40k.
- The cost of all vehicles, units and heroes are set to correlate with those in WH40k.
- The range of all vehicles, units and heroes are set to correlate with those in WH40k.
- The rate of fire for all weapons are set to correlate with those in WH40k.
- The setup time of all weapons are set to correlate with those in WH40k.
- The reinforcement time in battle are increased 999 times, which basically means that you only can reinforce units outside battles.
- Since the cost levels of WH40k are much lower than those in Dawn of War, the income rate has been lowered by 3.5, but the starting resources I have yet to find a way to alter.
- Land Speeders and Vypers can be reinforced to squads of up to three, like in WH40k.
- The Fireprism "knock back" effect has been removed completely, since it really makes no sense for a laser based weapon to have such an effect and it at the same time imblanced the Fireprism.
- The Dark Reaper Exarch Shuriken Cannon has been switched to an Eldar Missile Launcer instead, which makes a lot more sense for an upgrade.
- All minimum damage has been removed entirely. Now many light weapons can't even scratch the surface of a tank, like in WH40k.
- Many heavy weapons have been altered so that they now do as much damage to light infantry as they do to heavy, but just not as cheap or fast as weapons designed to counter light infantry.
- Corpse and destroyed vehicles now remains longer on the battlefield. Corpse are delayed by 30 seconds and vehicles by 60 seconds.
- Destroyed vehicles now effectively blocks path finding, while they remain on the battlefield.
- All races begins with a free hero and an additional basic unit.
- The Avatar, Bloodthirster and all heroes no longer counts towards the pop cap, to resemble their HQ choice free from the troop choices.
- Fleet of Foot now lowers the accuracy of the unit to 0%, as long as Fleet of Foot is active, to resemble the effect of the same ability in WH40k.
- Fleet of Foot no longer requires research, since it is a free gift in WH40k.
- Most research and building requirements has been removed, since this mod like the original game, is intended to balance its units through their cost, cap and usability instead of when they are availability.
- The health of all heroes, infantry, vehicles and buildings has been nerfed - a lot, but they still need some tweaking.
What still needs to be done:
- The damage ratio on all weapons has to be changed to those of WH40k.
- There are still some units and weapons that have wrong cost.
- Upgrades missing in Dawn of War has to be added.
- Some research options will be moved to individual squad upgrades instead. Like Farseer spell research, Exarch weapon upgrade and so on.
- Resource managing and the starting resources has to be tweaked, so that the rate and level feels good.
- All weapons of the same category should make the same damage, no matter if they're mounted on a tank or held by a squad member.
- Ordering new units should be free from the actual buildings, somewhat closer to the idea of Ground Control. That way all Eldar will warp in through warp gates, Space Marines teleported or dropped down in drop pods, Orks flewn in and Chaos summoned.
- The accuracy for all heroes, squads and vehicles has to be tweaked to those of WH40k.
- Most reinforcement and weapon cost has not yet been altered.
This is why I could use complete lists for anything that still has the wrong cost. I could also use lists of stats for all Chaos, Space marine and Ork units and weapons, since Army Builder is kind of limited in some ways. I have allready got a decent knowledge of the Eldar in WH40k, but all the other races, I could use some help with.
Please notice that I've intentionally increased the cost of the leaders accordingly, to enable the purchase of the spells they have ingame, as well as some force fields and armour upgrads, so that they won't go down in no time.
This version of the mod is totally and utterly imbalanced!
In fact it probably is as imbalanced as it could get, since only some values has been altered to resemble WH40k, but some other values and most of the weapon damages are still unaltered. That results in a dangerous cocktail of Dawn of War damage ratio mixed with some elements from the world of WH40k, and the collision is very evident and horrifying.
This is why I would say that the mod really isn't playable yet. At least until all weapons get a remake. The mod could still be used for debugging purposes and some sheer amusement though
Feel free to discuss the mod at this forum