E3: Someguy's impression of CoH

E3: Someguy's impression of CoH

I had a chance to check out Company of Heroes today at their little theater they had set up. The preview they showed in the theater is a more indepth version of the trailer(like 10 minutes long) full of voices, cussing, and life.

Even with the game in it's alpha state, the engine displayed a near-realistic sense of battle. Everything around is blowing up and people were getting shot up. Mortar rounds scars the battlefield with craters. Almost everything in the environment can be destroyed or damage. Cover doesn't last too long under direct fire. A piano that was once used as cover got shot apart. Buildings as well are also destructable.

The preview also shows the realism on the battleground. Soldiers will take cover behind anything they can find. Wounded soldiers will lay on the ground and try to call for help.

The physics engine helps to give a realistic feel to the game. I noticed soldiers killed by an explosion is given a ragdoll death where the body is launched from an explosion. Debris flys in a realistic manner as a tank shell hits a nearby garrsioned cafe.

The game isn't perfect at the moment. I noticed a few interesting bugs and oddities that occured. However, the game has a good amount of development to shape it the way it's suppose to be.

Piano? Used as a cover? That sounds awesomely detailed stuff.

There was a pretty funny part where a fallen soldier was stuck and being dragged by a jeep. I think it was a physic engine glitch, but it was pretty damn funny.

krjal
    Wow.

Whish we had an E3 thingy in Aus.

I hereby vote to keep that glitch in the game. That sounds awesome.

I'm a Deviant?

Might I ask, Do tanks run over infantry? Then this glitch must become a feature
    Imagine you noticed some termites over at your neighbors house, and instead of warning him about it, you just burn down his house because of the slight possibility that those termites might someday move over to your home. That's the Eldar for you. -Aquila
    "The Dragon Terror Patrol Will Prevail"

realistically, infantry could dive out of the way pretty damn fast.
    Remember: you're a blogger. Pretense is your co-pilot.

Sounds like this is going to turn out to be a very nice game with good gameplay and realism. Don't forgot you better get booth babe pictures + tshirt for me someguy
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

however gamewise you should clear them out, also relasticly a half deaf solider, by all guns shots and explosion, has a big chance of not noticing a tank/light armor coming his way (real people don't have 360 degree sight or some mighty mouse pointer ascending from skies to guide them )

Stinger
    Yeah....I hope this game is as great as it looks .

11. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #11
    You cannot understand how fucking cool this game is.

FIG
    This game does look amazing from the videos I've seen. I wish and HOPE Relic makes another Warhammer Rts game with the features seen in this game. Destructable damage to everything is some I've always wanted to see in a RTS game.

After seeing the videos on gamespot and the videos about CoH, it looks damned impressive. Fully destructable terrain and the firing archs made me oogle it even more. Looks like relic has raised the bar yet again. Time to see it pay off.

it looks impressive, i agree, but all the features and whatnot won't dictate gameplay [maybe lag, yeah]. I dont really care how "cool" it is, gamplay is what gets my money.

i.e. if it plays anything like dow/sc/wc or clones i'm not buying.
    This is my signature. Fear its meaninglessness! Go on, fear it! Fear!

15. Technical Help Senior Member Modding Senior Member Homeworld Senior Member  #15
    Ammon:

From what I've seen so far, it won't play like any of those. It really looks like it'll be new. More high level RTS gaming rather than microing gameplay.

16. Homeworld Senior Member  #16
    That would be nice, reducing the level of micro....

I remember during the interview for CoH is that one of the goals is to reduce the level of micro needed by beefing up the soldiers' AI. Doing this, you don't have to micro your soldiers into cover postions. I'm not bsing either since Uber and I saw first hand that soldiers will take cover by themselves. You all remember the trailer right? The only commands that were issued for that movie were move and attack.

Man i really need to buy a decent mic.
    Last edited by Someguy; 23rd May 05 at 10:21 PM.

Thread Information