Cypher

Ferrus Manus

Cypher

Who is cypher?

He is a renegade space marine. Not much else than that is confirmed. He wears the Dark Green armor of the Dark Angels, so it is assumed that he was once a member of that chapter at some point. He also hangs around with the Fallen, and claims to bear the Lion Sword, so he's public enemy number 1 for the Dark Angels.

He's a very sneaky guy and protected by some power on high, but nobody is exactly sure who that power is and exactly who it is he's fighting for. Remember, there are many Fallen who aren't evil, and try to still help out the Emperor from time to time. It's possible that he thinks he's helping the Imperium, in his own unique, unhelpful way.

For some reason, alot of people think his mission is to kill the Emperor and let him be resurrected... but there is zero substance to that rumor (I can tell you where it came from, but it's a long story), and I don't know why people still propagate it like it was official GW fluff. Shoot, well that's about it.

woody2
    Fallen? i think he is on a mission set by the high lords of terra y'know the secret ones that don't exist (much like the betrayal of the night lords) surely 1 space marine can't be that much a threat (I know how powerful 1 is really) it depends really how much stuff is after him, ig, entire chapters or companies, im assuming the lion sword is the primarchs weapon hitherto chapter mascot

But officially he is meant to return to Emperor for some unknown reason.
    Also skipped he never uses the sword, just keeps it... for some unknown reason.
    Imagine you noticed some termites over at your neighbors house, and instead of warning him about it, you just burn down his house because of the slight possibility that those termites might someday move over to your home. That's the Eldar for you. -Aquila
    "The Dragon Terror Patrol Will Prevail"

woody2
    if he is ex-dark angels and he believes he is still loyal he will probably think he isn't 'worthy' enough to brandish a weapon so glorious and beautiful, what rank was he when he deserted?

no it is more about the sword. and he didn't accually deserted neither DA or Emperor.

From Fluff Bible
    Buried even deeper within the Rock, is the final, greatest secret of the Chapter. Only one person in the entire universe knows the truth - the Emperor himself. For hidden inside a secluded, unreachable chamber at the heart of what once was the planet Caliban, Lion El'Jonson lies sleeping, waiting with the Watchers in the Dark for that time when he will be needed once again to defend the Imperium against its enemies.
    Hmm... right, since Lion will be with Emperor Cypher will follow...

Kon, where are you getting that from? Sounds like a spin-off of the starchild resurrection rumor.

And Woody, he has the ENTIRE Dark Angels chapter and most of the unforgiven constantly searching for him. If you remember, the Dark Angels actually quit the Eye of Terror campaign to go hunt for him. That means that he's a higher priority than fighting the Traitor Legions, which really says something.

The only reason he's still alive is because of his warp-patron. And again, we don't know if this protector of his is a Chaos entity or something more benevolent.

And yes, the Lion Sword was the personal weapon of Lion El' Jonson. It was broken in two during the final battle with Luther, and Cypher claims that he's going to reforge the blade or something. Whether he's telling the truth or just a raving lunatic remains to be seen.

Fluff Bible

Last part regarding Dark Angels, plus it is either from WD or Codex, though I'm not sure about it...

BamOBrien
    Copy/Paste from previous Cypher Thread
    Cypher
    Cypher is an enigmatic and deeply sinister character. He appears as if from nowhere, bringing death and destruction with him, and then vanishes as abruptly as he appeared. Strangely it is rare that Cypher himself instigates the violent acts that invariably occur when he is present, it is rather that he seems to act as a catalyst that fans any feelings of hatred or mistrust into a raging, uncontrollable fire.
    Cypher rarely speaks, and no one knows his real name. However, the occasional glimpse of the dark green power armor beneath his long robes means there can be no doubt that Cypher is one of the Fallen. In many ways he epitomizes the fate of the Fallen, being cursed to wander through time and space, never able to return home.

Some whisper that Cypher may represent the Fallen Angels' only chance of redemption, and that his seemingly random appearances hide a pattern which reveals that he is slowly moving across the galaxy towards Earth and the Emperor himself. They also point to the fact that Cypher carries a sword which he never draws or uses in combat, and that this could be the fabled Lion Sword, wielded by Lion El' Jonson himself, thought lost forever following the Primarch's final confrontation with the arch-heretic Luther. Whatever the truth of this, it is certainly the case that if he is ever in one place for any amount of time then his presence seems to attract others of The Fallen, though none know how they are able to find him or why they gather.

Probably because of this, the members of the Dark Angels Inner Circle hate and fear Cypher more than any other Fallen Angel, and would willingly perform almost any act, no matter how vile, in order to capture or kill him. Cypher's continued existence bears testament to his almost supernatural prowess and ability to escape capture.
    Cypher is an enigmatic and sinister character. He appears as if from nowhere, bringing death and destruction with him, and then vanishes just as abruptly as he appeared. Strangely, it is rare that Cypher himself instigates the violent acts that invariably occur when he is present; it is rather that he appears to be the catalyst which fans any feelings of hatred or mistrust into a raging, uncontrollable fire.
    Cypher rarely speaks, and when he does his tones are clipped and his words few. No one knows his real name, and no one in living memory has dared ask him what that name might be. However, the occasional glimpse of the dark power armour beneath the long robes that Cypher wears means there can be no doubt that he isone of the Fallen. In many ways he epitomises their fate, being cursed to wanderthrough time and space, never to be able to return home.

General concensus and hints point to Cypher eventually arriving on Terra (his current pattern, according to official fluff, is supposed to be putting him closer and closer with each sighting) and there he will either:
    1.) Present the Lion Sword before the Emperor in the Throne Room at which point the Sword will be reformed and the Fallen redeemed in a symbolic gesture of reunification.
    2.)Kill the Emperor, thus releasing the Starchild from its tenuous and burdensome ties to the material plane and beginning the process of the Emperor's resurrection.
    3.) Die dramatically with no real impact on the overall storyline of the 40k universe other than ending a rather interesting character's career anticlimatically.

Of course whether or not these are true and whether or not GW ever decides to end the Cypher storyline and clear up the mystique are totally up for debate.

Bloodthirstycow
    I made a thread about this a few weeks ago, just search for it.

woody2
    happy happy joy joy happy

I'm sorry, when I said, 'where are you getting that from?' I was referring to you're statement about him standing before the Emperor. That was never an official statement, only rumors.

The thing is, if his armor is Dark Green, then he CAN'T be one of the original Fallen. It's simple really - they wear black armor

An oversight on GW's part? Or are they deliberately trying to mislead us? All I want you to do is get all of this nonsense out of your head about the Cypher and the Starchild thing being related. They aren't and never have been... I think I might start another thread concerning this, so that it doesn't irritate me for all eternity.

MacBeth
    cypher could of painted it the dark green to make it appear he is a brother of the dark angels makein it easier for him to move around,but thats just a guess.
    I feel cypher and the dark angels are gonna have a big part in the endin(but everyone knows that wont happen:P)

DrakeZilla
    I just realised something... the whole "doesn't instigate violence, violence follows him around", the having an entire chapter after him, and being a badass gunfighter, make Cypher seem like a 40k version of Vash the Stampede. 'cept in green armor with a white coat, and a plasma pistol instead of a huge arm-cannon. Just popped into my head... anyone else see the similarity.

MacBeth
    well I wouldnt say the entire chapter is after him since most of the chapter doesant even know what a fallen is.

Um, I would think that would be wrong. If the Dark Angles want the sword back that much, or just to simply kill/capture Cypher, wouldn't they be telling about him to the initiates or newly-inducted Battle Brothers so in the future if they're fighting and they see him they can instantly recognize him and from there do whatever? And if the Fallen are so hated and such, wouldn't they also be mentioned somewhere along the way so they could be recognized and abolished?

Brother Carleus
    They are. Read the codex, my friend. We hunt the Fallen above all others (sace Cypher). Cypher IS one of the original fallen, I dunno why they made his armor green. He's supposedly evil, but no one really knows, he's just sort of there and then gone.

The Dark Angels know about the Fallen, and know that they must hunt them. They just don't know the full story, where the Fallen come from, the betrayal of Luther, and all that. They don't learn the full story until they join the Deathwing.

Carleus, the Codex doesn't say definitively that he is one of the original fallen. How do you know that? Post quotes or direct references, if you have them.

MacBeth
    if I recall only the deathwing and inner circle know of the fallen,battle brothers and ravenwing dont know what a fallen is. I dont remember how the inner circle keeps this from the battle brothers but they dont know they are huntin there former brothers,read the book angels of darkness,look at the codex so on and so fourth.(I could be wrong but meh:P)

cypher is proably one of the hardest people in the universe to kill,the dark angels have come very close many times but he always seems ta vanish before he is struck down.

BamOBrien
    An "unknown warp power" spirits him away before he can be slain.

MacBeth
    which could be one of the chaos powers or the emperor himself,doubtful but also possble it could be the lion saveing him

metalfan666
    So...what are the possibilities of Cypher's green armor?

1) He wasn't one of the original Fallen. This really doesn't make any sense, as how would he have the lion blade if he wasn't one of the original? He wouldn't, therefore he would be of no consequence.

2) He painted it. WTF? Maybe he did to symbolize that he wants to be Loyal life his friends or something. I dunno.

3) GW screwed up. VERY unlikely on a fluff piece of this magnitude to have not corrected it.

None of these lead to an interesting ending for Cypher, which gets me down.

I think the answer is simple. He's not one of the Fallen. However, his connection to the Fallen is undeniable. Wherever he is present, they gather, although why and how they find him is a mystery.

The fact that he has a hidden agenda is unquestionable. What that agenda is the hard part. His identity and his mission go hand in hand... discover one and it will give a clue as to the other.

The other piece of the puzzle is the sword he carries. Although not confirmed to be the Lion Blade, it seems likely. I would conjecture that whatever put him in contact with this sword is the key to understanding his intentions and his identity. Discovering his connection and relationship with the Fallen would go along way towards unraveling this mystery.

It's entirely likely that he is a Dark Angel on some kind of mission involving this sword. Whether his purpose is to serve Chaos or the Imperium remains to be seen. However, I have a feeling that the ranking members of the Deathwing know exactly who he is, and what he is trying to accomplish. It's even possible that he set out on his mission with the blessing of the Chapter, although judging by their efforts to capture him, he has something to answer for.

MacBeth
    he could be one of the loyal angels,they painted there armor green before the battle(I guess to tell who from who)
    and proably watched the battle between luther and the lion,and before the lion was taken away by the watchers he told cypher to reforge the sword and redeem the legion,or luther could of done the same.

its also said that the blade on his back may not be the lion blade but the black blade of luther and when he reachs terra he shall strike the emperor down for chaos

I'm pretty sure the Dark Angels didn't change their armor color until after the catastrophe at Caliban. After all, they had no clue of Luther's betrayal until he fired on their ships returning from Earth.

MacBeth
    the dark angels didnt attack caliban right after they were attacked by the fallen,they didnt even really find out till they found a merchant ship.so I take it the dark angels changed there armor either to tell them apart from the fallen or some other reason,I heard at one point to represent the green forsets of caliban

DrakeZilla
    Maybe he just painted his armor green so imperial soldiers would think he was a loyalist DA... Go read Angels of Darkness... if his & his cronies' armor was black they'd have had a hell of a time pulling that stunt off. I dont think the green armor is as big an issue as everyone thinks... he wants people to think he's a loyalist Dark Angel when he lands on a planet to stir up trouble... So he painted his armor to look like theirs... is it so hard to believe that the Fallen might not want to keep their armor looking like it is described to the DA novices?

MacBeth
    last I read most if not all fallen hate the dark angels and wouldnt take there colors

There's a thousand chapters of space marines in the Imperium, if not more. The fact that they're wearing space marine armor without Chaos symbols and without tentacles means that they're above suspicion, as far as most of the Imperium is concerned. They don't need to repaint their armor. A real dark angel would be impossible to fool, though. They would know a Fallen instantly, and changing the armor paint isn't going to help much. MacBeth is right also. I could see instances where they would repaint the armor temporarily for a mission, but in general their moral code would not allow them to paint in green. For the loyal Fallen, it would be shame, and for the Chaos Fallen, it would be revulsion.

Thread Information