Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Texturing Tutorial WARNING PIC HEAVY

Drthvdr12

Texturing Tutorial WARNING PIC HEAVY

Ahh, the bane of all modellers for mod teams: Texturing. An untextured model to a fully textured one is like comparing a sketch to a painting. With so many fine models popping up here and there, it would be a shame to see them not textured and left to waste. There are industrial programs out there that allow you to "draw" on the models, but I'm sure that few of us can afford them. Besides, those programs give a rough estimate of where things are, so you still need to polish things off.

The way I see it, there are 2 different kinds of textures you can put on your model: 1. The pattern texture; which just repeats itself in a pattern. 2. A custom made texture specifically for a model; which is made specifically for a model and cannot repeat itself. We will be making the latter today.

Tool you need:
    Any modelling program that can project a texture on a face.
    IE:
    Milkshape (used here)
    Blender (I'm not sure, but I'm sure it can)
    3Dmax
    Maya
    Lightwave

An image editting program
    Photoshop (prefered; used here)
    Paintshop Pro
    Paint
    Powerpoint (you can juxtapose images and export pictures; theoretically possible.

To learn, you should start with simpler models. Hell, texture a brick. Today we will be texturing the Hiigaran Heavy Carrier, which I still owe the Dustwars Team. Guys, I'll get it to ya when school ends, I swear.

1. The first step is to obtain the view that you are going to texture with. Imagine that you are texturing a brick. As you can tell from the pictures, the carrier isn't much different from a brick. Your goal is to draw pictures that will cover the entire surface of each of the brick's 6 surfaces. The answer for this is simplicity in aligning the texture, seen later.

So to obtain the top view, you use your modelling program's rendering function and render the top view. If your program doesnt have a rendering function, print screen the top view and paste it.

As you can see with the picture below, I have obtained the top and bottom views of the carrier. I rendered this with Deep Exploration.

Step 2 (Interchangable with step 3)
    You can now make your lines, features, machinery, etc...
    If you look carefully below, I use bits and pieces of Relic textures. The important thing here is to make the textures fit in afterwards.

Step 3.
    This may seem like a small deal, but MAKE YOUR BACKGROUND ON A DIFFERENT LAYER THAN YOUR DETAILS. Nothing kills your texturing experience like working 5 hours on details and covering it up with some monotonous color :eye: . Another reason is that you want your details to appear on top of the background. The background dictates the overall appearance of your model, so don't slack on this step. An important thing is to make your background match with your details, or visa versa. This is because if you can see sharp square edges around your details, it just doesn't look professional.

Step 4. Putting your texture on the model.
    Now we put the texture on the model. Remember that we projected the model to make the textures in the first place. This takes the eyesore out of aligning them. Though I put this at the end of the process, I usually do right after I finish step 1.

Below is the final texture for the dorsal side of the ship.

And the finalized top face in isometric (roughly) view.

There you have it, how to texture. Learn it, love it, be the envy of mod teams. "Our team has a texturer!!" :mrpantha:

I'll post more details on how to make things like panels and stuff later in this thread, depending on demand. I'll move this stuff to my website, The Darth Side, someday.
    Last edited by Drthvdr12; 31st May 05 at 7:26 PM.

Minion_2005
    Awesom, I'll be putting this in my favorites!

Questions: The matt grey colour all over the ship, how does the game know to change that when a user selects a different colour?

Drthvdr12
    The matt grey colour all over the ship, how does the game know to change that when a user selects a different colour?
    That has to do with the way the textures are processed when the model is hodded. The detailed answer is beyond me and in the realm of a even rarer than the texturer: the Hoder. What I do know is that team colors depend on a seperate layer in the final .psd that the hod file will use. The Relic modding package has details on this.

Vengence
    Sorry man, I already know how to apply textures. I just need textures made specifically for my models rather than using other model's texture. But I'll keep that tut in a safe place in my pc if I need it.

araqiel
    okay nice tutorial but i miss the part where you put the texture on the model how do you do that? dont really understand

Deathblow

Araqiel - Thats different in every 3d program. The standard way of doing things is to make a UV map.

Reality is only a special case of imagination

Right behind you... And slightly to the left.
    I am hugging you right now, while I load up 3ds max + photoshop7.

Drthvdr12

The Panel

The base of all texture details are the panels. These can be panel lines, large rectangular panels, or odd shaped ones. These panels are important in game textures because they appear to give a model 3d details without actually using polygons. The trick is to make make these panels look 3d.

Tools:
    Photoshop 6.0

Step 1:
    Start was a clear area. Make sure your panel isn't overlapping some other detail and on a different layer. You can put all he panels you want to be raised the same way on the same layer, but BE CAREFUL NOT TO DRAW NEW PANELS ON AN ALREADY RAISED PANEL. May sound stupid, but happens all the time.

Step 2:
    Make the panel. Do this by drawing the shape of how you want the panel. Panel has to be a solid shape. Also take into account how much you are going to raise or lower the shape. Sometimes this can make the panels look funky.

Step 3:
    Once you have the shape you want, you want to go to emboss; like so:

Step 4:
    If I want to raise the panel, I set the angle to -60 degrees; like so:

If I want to lower it, I set it to 120 degrees; Like so:

Step 5:
    Once you have your panel raised or lowered, you can use the magic eraser tool to make the panel match the hull color:

Alternately, you can paint it another color or anything that pleases your heart.

There you have it, how to panel. You can literally turn any shape into a panel.

Some ships can use alot of panels to detail, like this star destroyer.

Will post more when I think of it.

10. Homeworld Senior Member  #10
    Just out of curiosity where would one get Relic textures?

Also- can Maya 6 LE be used? This is what I have... and I'm still trying to use it. I also have Wings3d, but it is not on your list.

Drthvdr12
    Just out of curiosity where would one get Relic textures?

Also- can Maya 6 LE be used? This is what I have... and I'm still trying to use it. I also have Wings3d, but it is not on your list.
    1. You can get the texture by extracting the original game hods. I just take bits and pieces, like vents, exhausts, interesting hatches.

2. I'm pretty sure Maya PLE can texture, because Maya sure can. Though I have access to Maya, I've never worked with it. I'm pretty sure you can texture with Wings3d, based on this link: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wi...ure_in_Wings3d
    Just look for and play around with UV features, as they are more commonly known.

The_shadow164
    Maybe you could continue your tutorial by teaching us next how to add some sort of realism to the textures, like dirt and the like, you know, the uniformity of the colors. I've seen that a lot in many models.

Dear God, that is exacly what I was looking for, thanks DrtVdr12.
    1)Can I ask for more photoshop textures creation tutorial?
    2) and for HODing tutorial
    3) and for turreting,nav lights, arming, docking path etc. ( well I don't think you know all of them but as many as posible)

I (will) have a maya 6 or 6.5 unlimited if this is important.

I only need point 2(this I need more) and 3 to be able to put my ships into HW2 (look at mods in progress
    -->Taiidan fleet WIP Heed Help)

Byt point 2 and 3 tutorial I don't mean a super star destroyer with hundreds of turrets
    but simple "Cube of Death" with... lest say:
    umh.. pinky square textures
    emmm.. egg looking engine subsystem
    yyym.. one turrter(stock HW2) with crazy Hull defence guns (continous firing range)
    hmm.. disco radio jamming module
    and... hangar for "Cube fighters of Death"
    some.... orange nav lights ( OK not orange, stock HW2)
    and... fixed Dreadnaught cannon in front ( it could be a square destroyable gun) in front. thats all.

Drthvdr12
    Sorry, I'm just a modeller and texturer. Photoshop techniques I can give ya. I whipped up a weathering tut that I'm going to upload right now.

OK, so I have another texture question:
    does HW2 require one big single texture or many smaller ones??

Drthvdr12
    Our mighty starships are working machines, so they get worn down. Keep in mind that weathering is not something that is done often in HW2 modding. Usually modders want their ships looking spiffy when they come out of the factory. But weathering ships are incredibly fun and can produce interesting singleplayer ships.
    In this tutorial, we are going to weather this Hiigaran Spectre Gunship. An atmospheric fighter, it has been sitting mothballed on some Godforsaken Hiigaran backwater world for years.

Step1:
    Obtain a completed texture. Keep in mind that this process should be attempted after you finish a texture. That being said, since you are putting this stuff on different layers, you can always remove the years with a single click of a button. As you can see, this texture is symetrical. We will only weather the top of the ship today.

Step 2: Scuff marks.
    Space is a dangerous place, with rock fragments and the like. We are going to simulate this with scuff marks. Keep in mind that this tutorial is highly exaggerated and you might want to tone it down for your ship.
    First you make a white rectangle over where you want to make these marks.

Then you go to Filter->Pixelate->Mezzotint and choose the type of dots you want.

Once you have your dots, use magic eraser and make the white parts transparent, yielding this:

Since scuffs are sunken in, use the emboss technique in the previous tutorial and sink them in.

And, if the scuffs are too sharp, soften them up with a blur using Filters->Blur->Guassian Blur.

If you want dirt, repeat the process without embossing.
    Then go to Filters->Blur-> Motion blur and make streaks.

Step 3. Weapons marks.
    Whats weathering without documenting a couple close calls?
    Ok so you use the star shaped brush and mark it in random places.

Then duplicate the layer; there are two parts to a weapons hit.
    Take the original, and gaussian blur it.

Then take the layer on top of it, and emboss it to simulate a missing chunk of the hull.

There you have it, how to weather.

Here is the final product. Have fun making your new shiny toys look old.

OK, so I have another texture question:
    does HW2 require one big single texture or many smaller ones??
    You can do both, but I get the impression that it is easier to hod one texture rather than multiple ones.

Remember people, I'll write tutorials if requested.
    Last edited by Drthvdr12; 1st Jun 05 at 10:57 PM.

Minion_2005
    Where can I get a texture coordinator editor from?

Please, everyone remember to add your tutorials to the wiki.
    Download my HW2 mods, maps & tools. link
    Username|SF on Gamespy/Xfire/Hamachi/Gameranger

Can I ask for more Photoshot tutorials?
    Something more about techniques of making realistic textures ( I mean, when I tried to create a good texture I ended with texture that looks ugly, like it would be created in Paint)

Vengence
    Drthvdr12, I would really love it if you can save all of those photoshop tuts in a single file and put it up for download.

The_shadow164
    Hey, how about continuing by giving us some more ideas on detailing the texture, for example, the hull usually has different tonality colors, some parts are darker, etc...

These are the best tutorials I've ever seen, I always had the question inside me, I had never found a real solid tutorial for creating these kinds of textures.

First of all, a big thanks to Drthvdr12 for the tutorial, if i could make one point and ask a question.

The one point - Please do not make the same mistake i made, i downloaded the Relic Tools and did not open them right away, even just a quik look at the examples they provide will increase your understanding of texturing for HW2.

Question - Could you quikly go over how the different layers, in the Photoshop example Relic provided, apply to HW2 models.
    ( layer 1 is.... Layer 2 is....)

Once again Drthvdr12, thankyou.

Guelph

I'm one of the ones who can texture (I use Blender and an AutoUV script, plus custom generations), but the weathering tutorial is very neat, never thought of that.

Awesome, and thanks!

-Stefan-

Drthvdr12
    I'll give a tut about how I made the matte underlayer for the carrier, which improves makes it look like Relic textures. Of course, being an avid flight simmer, cadet, college student, and with finals coming up, itll prob be in more than a week at least.

Do you know something about Maya (5) texturing??

I have a problem. I uploaded a HGN_inteceptor_export texture ( that from RND) in hypershader menu. then I assigned that material to my model but in main view I can't see that texture (I can see it in UV texture editor, I can see it in deep exploration when I save it and open from there).
    It's weard because I can see textures of those models from RND (inteceptor.ma file).

26. General Discussions Senior Member Modding Senior Member  #26
    This thread is very useful, and something that I think everyone should read if they want to texture. I therefor award it the coveted "Sticky" designation

Keep up the tutorial work

Mr. Pete
    mr. Who, make sure a.) you're set to hardware texture in your perspective /other viewports.

Then:

-Right click the material you want to texture in hypershade.
    -Select Texture>New Texture>File
    -Load your texture from the file into the 'file texture'
    -Delete the projection (in between the file and the material) in the working area.
    -Not sure about here but its always seemed to switch to UV mapping, should do it, if not, knowing mayaa theres an obscure setting somewhere in some massive menu.
    -Open up your tex editor and play

Little tip for texturing people: USE ISOLATE it helps ALOT, especially on kittybashes.

Thanks for help mr. Pete but I only had to press "6" to see my textures.
    I have two more problems.

1) My textures are "ghost like", I can see through the textured faces to other side of my model and I'm sure that's a texture/shader fault (I'm using HW 2 inteceptor texture,
    note that I'm not using Relic tutorial so maybe I'm doing something wrong).

2) Some (most) of my face are invisible in UV editor because they are placed at diffrend angle, they canot be select and/or rotate, again help.

If anybody would be interested I could post a tutorial about doing hull windows (the little lighted ones). Shall I put it here or a thread of its own?

EDIT - By the way, wasn't this stickied?
    Last edited by Unk; 27th Jun 05 at 11:17 AM.

The_shadow164
    Yeah, I'm interested in your tutorial.

is that ship for download? if you have seethrogh textures, chect the DDS or (whater) Alpha channel.

Question Man
    People i am a noob and i need help its a simple question to all of u master modders. Were r the textures located and how to i get HODTool (hod -> obj) to make it keep the textures on the ship. Some body help me plz. I use 3d studio 7.0 max some one plz help.
    I just need to no were the homeworld textures are. Because i am trying to recreat the the Bentis or caleed the harbour and the dreadnort. Some body help me.

I fell like this man.
    And i wish i was this person :hwpilot:
    PLz help some body

sos for doing this but if u are a homeworld fan plz try and spell things right

for 1 it's bentusi and dreadnought

and i have started modeling 2 so i know how u feel

and it's bentus

and this is

LOL
    Last edited by Angelofthenight; 26th Mar 06 at 12:25 PM. Reason: i put the wrong thing

The irony of the your post pretty much kills the point.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein

yes but is it an overkill?

but anyway i have downloaded the program. but will it work with only the simplist of photoshop?
    and where can i get ship designs or do i just have to go by multipul pictures?
    Last edited by TechOps101; 23rd Jun 06 at 12:01 PM.
    Oh, Death was never enemy of ours!
    We laughed, knowing that better men would come,
    And greater wars: when each proud fighter brags
    He wars on Death, for lives; not men, for flags.

for 1 it's bentusi and dreadnought
    lol, actully, its Dreadnaught. :P

tr2985

.PDS template for HW2?

Hey, does anyone have a .PDS template for HW2?

Drthvdr12
    you can get it along with the RDN tools for HW2

I'm the only one who gets to correct peoples' spelling. And dreadnought/dreadnaught are both right.

The Photoshop plugins work with Photoshop 7 as well as Photoshop 8 (CS.) Supposedly they work with Photoshop 5/6 as well but I think I already owned PS 7 by the time I was modding HW2.

As for a PDS template, I suggest making one yourself. You'll be more familiar with the layers that way anyways. Here's a breakdown of the PDS layers:

Note: All layer names must be lower-case as seen below.
    --Top--
    specular
    Blend Mode: Normal
    Colors: Grayscale
    Transparency: No
    Description: White = full highlights, black = no highlights.

glow
    Colors: Grayscale
    Description: white = full glow, black = no glow

label
    Colors: RGB
    Transparency: Yes
    Description: Full colour layer including dirt and such that you want to see on top of the team colours/stripes. Important: You MUST have at least one pixel of any color on this layer to make the Team/Stripe layers work correctly (otherwise they don't have any effect on the ship ingame.) Just put a black dot over a dark area on the texture or something.

stripe
    Blend Mode: Overlay
    Colors: Single flat color (white, RGB = 255,255,255)
    Description: Areas covered in white will be modified by the team stripe colour. Everywhere else must be fully transparent.

team
    Blend Mode: Overlay
    Colors: Single flat color (pick a light color)
    Description: Areas covered in the flat color will be modified by the team colour. Everywhere else must be fully transparent.

tex
    Colors: RGB
    Description: This is your main texture.

ref
    Blend Mode: Any
    Colors: Any
    Transparency: Any
    Description: Use this as a scratch layer, it doesn't affect how the final texture comes out. Usually you place your unwrapped UV map here so you can line up the other texture pieces.
    --Bottom--

PS I'm leaving this thread open, necromany aside.
    Last edited by Zatch; 13th Nov 06 at 12:23 PM.
    ~

tr2985
    That's good information, thanks guys.

would it be possible to use googles sketch up to do this?

If it exports to *.PSD or *.TGA, yes.

That is, assuming it has a 2D component as well as the basic 3D modeling functionality. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know what it is capable of.

Sketchup might be able to do unwrapping, though I doubt proper unwrapping at that. And it certainly won't be able to do textures in the app.

-Stefan-

Sketchup is nice for basic modelling. I am a member of the Hard Light Productions Forum, and yesterday saw this tutorial for Sketchup to Freespace2:

I've noticed that a couple people around here use Sketchup to model, but I have yet to see someone successfully import a SU model into Freespace 2, mostly due to Sketchup's horrific exporters butchering the model on export.

Well I have found this exporter (http://shaxam.com/files/lwo_export-0.0.6.zip) that allows almost flawless export of Sketchup models to .LWO format, where from there they can be touched up and exported properly to .POF.

What you will need:

Sketchup v5.0 or above
    3D Exploration
    Another program that allows welding of vertices and adjustment of smoothing groups (I use Milkshape 3D).
    POFCS or 3DS Max with the exporter plugin (I used the latter, but I don't use Max cuz it's too hard ). Truespace works if you don't have Max.

---

1) Install the plugin by coping the "lwo_export" file into your plugins directory. Launch Sketchup.

2) Check to see if the plugin installed properly. Go to Window-->Preferances-->Extensions, and check "Basic LWO Exporter". It will show up your "Tools" drop down menu.

3) Open the model you want to export. MAKE SURE TO DELETE ANY DETAIL LINES, i.e, if you drew a line on a surface to show detail, but it's not actually modeled - DELETE IT. When the model exports, these lines will be turned into vertexes, and if you made a closed object with them, they'll create faces and will waste a lot of polies.

4) Go to Tools-->LWO Exporter (if yours is weird like mine and showed two of them there, you can click either one, they both work). Export to your chosen directory.

5) Open the .LWO in 3D Exploration. It may show up as transparent - I don't know what's causing this, but when I import into MS3D it doesn't show up that way, so I guess it's not a problem. Go to Tools --> Invert Face Orientation, and click. Then go to Tools --> Join Equal Points.

6) Export to whatever format your modeling program prefers.

--- Here's where it gets tricky. I used Milkshape to do these steps, so I'll explain them using that program. If you want to use a different program, go ahead.

7) If you're using Milkshape, export to .3DS, and then open up Milkshape. Import the file (make sure auto-smooth is ON). Select all and go to Vertex-->Weld Together (shortcut Ctrl-W).

8) Inspect the model for smoothing errors. You'll probably get a few from the welding process, and you'll probably have a bit more from the actual import. Fix as necessary (what's useful is right clicking on the 3D view and selecting "Colored Smoothing Groups").

9) Fix errors as necessary and re-export to your chosen format. I used .3DS and that worked well, so I'd suggest that.

10) Import into either Truespace or Max, and do your thing (follow Kara's excellent ship creation guide).

11) Export and convert! (Or convert straight from Max if you have that).
    It is specific to the Freespace2 Open Source Project, but should have some use for folks here as well.

razeba
    If you do not want to buy Photoshop you can always use paint.net, its open source equivalent

Hi,

Nice tutorial, thx for this one.

I got a question, but it is a bit hard to formulate for me, because i am new to these modding and texturing things.
    I want to use a pixelshader 2.0 effect in hw2. I extracted some high poly models with matching texture, stored in the dds file.

may i post my nooby question her:

i watched a CFHodEd 4 video tutorial, it shows how a ship getting textured.

many textures are used for it:

HullDiffuse.dds
    HullGlow.dds
    EngineOffDiffuse.dds
    EngineOnDiffuse.dds
    EngineOffGlow.dds
    EngineOnGlow.dds

then there are two materials set up:

Hull
    Engine

now, the two materials getting textured:

Hull (Material)
    Shader=ship*
    $Diffuse, assigned texture = HullDiffuse.dds
    $Glow, assigned texture = HullGlow.dds

Engine (Material)
    Shader=thruster*
    $Diffuseoff, assigned texture = EngineOffDiffuse.dds
    $Diffuseon, assigned texture = EngineOnDiffuse.dds
    $Glowon, assigned texture = EngineOnGlow.dds
    $Glowoff, assigned texture = EngineOffGlow.dds

this all seems pretty clear and logical. not that hard to understand.

*my first question is:

In "Homeworld 2 visual overhaul", there is a exiting shader-extension to the vanilla one.
    to get the advantage of this great new shader working, what shader-name i have to type in?
    Does it stay "ship" and "thruster"? Is there a new one for "bump" or something?
    If so, what kind of texture i must create and assign? a bumpmap?!

unfortunally, the vid don´t cover how to setup and create the needed textures!!!

and this is it, the thing i don´t get:

How do the different textures in the .dds must look like?
    Are they different? (i guess so)
    Or is it always the same Texture (maybe only small changes)?

for example "HullGlow.dds" and "HullDiffuse.dds" - what´s the exact difference between them?
    - is the texture in HullGlow only brighter than the on in HullDiffuse?
    In other words: How do i create a "Glow" and a "Diffuse" texture?

does "EngineOffDiffuse.dds" contain the complete texture for the whole ship - only different at the engine area?
    or is the complete texture of the whole ship turned "transparent", exept for the engine part?
    or do these "Engine-Textures" only contain the small piece of the texture and nothing else?

in other words: How do i create a "engine on/off texture"?

some pictures of the different textures needed would be awesome.
    so i can see, what´s exactly different and what textures are needed and must be created.
    tell me, how to create the needed textures from a already existing one, please.

example: load into gimp or paint.net , then set blahblah and use filter xy and save as....
    (i hope once i get it, it will be kind of easy work)

best regards,

Elo
    Last edited by Elowan; 13th Oct 10 at 1:03 AM. Reason: re-formulate my question

Well, mainly you're just adding another layer of textures to use the new shaders. next to $diffuse and $glow, you need to add $normal, which will contain a normal map for the ship. You also need to change the ship shader to the matte shader for it to accept the $normal parameter. I don't think the thruster shader supports bump maps, so there are no changes needed for the engine part of the ship.
    Babylon 5: War Without End Official Site.

"I keep telling you people that it's only a build animation, NOT a hyperspace animation." - Me, about the Babylon 5 mod hyperspace build animation.

Texture Tutorial for Engines/Thrusters needed

hi,

i´m looking for a good tutorial, on how to create "Engine-Texture" for bigger ships.
    (the ones, the are for the thruster-shader)

a-step-by-step one would be very nice, because i´ve no idea.

let´s say, i´ve got a complete ship-textures. one diffuse, one normal and one glow. on which one, i´ve to draw the "blue glow" with photoshop?

i need complete information on this.... thx!

*bump*

where´s the "How-to-engine-glow" Tutorial?

Lead developer of the Homeworld: Blue Planet TC.
    Member of The Apocalypse Project TC for Freespace 2.
    To all newbies : remember to use S110's clean data.
    Latest version of CFHodEd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information