The best glue to attach plastic to pewter?

The best glue to attach plastic to pewter?

I bought two boxes of devastators the other day, saving me twenty bucks since they weren't the new ones. (Woohoo!)

Anyhoo, being a bit new to the hobby, this is my first time working with both metal and plastic components. While painting them is no problem, my only gripe is getting the metal parts to stick to the plastic parts, so far I've had little trouble with the Citadel Modeling plastic glue, but I was wondering if there was anything stronger or better reccomended for assembling models with both metal and plastic bits.

Thank you in advance.

Dvalin
    The man has it. The local game store keeps some gel super glue and liquid super glue on hand, different from the normal GW stuff -- which is, according to all accounts, of atrociously poor quality compared to your average commercial super glue.

dont buy cheap shop super glue, the lid with fall off and then super glue will pour all over your model and kind of melt it and mess it up. Not say that it happened to me or anything cause it didnt ok?

GW super glue isnt that bad, but it does come in a teeny tiny pot for twice the price of most superglue.

dont buy cheap shop super glue, the lid with fall off and then super glue will pour all over your model and kind of melt it and mess it up. Not say that it happened to me or anything cause it didnt ok?
    Only if you are clumsy, i did all this with cheap super glue.

One downside of Super Glue/Crazy Glue is that it's brittle. It's a good glue, but on stuff like metal you'd probably want to be pinning anything that you don't want shearing off. Another is that it melts plastic slightly - that chemical reaction how it joins plastic, in part.

If you're looking for a little more flexibility/durability, you'd probably want to use 2-part epoxy or something if you're looking for a really tight bond that has a little bit of give to it.

(The reason Super Glue joints tend to break a lot is not because the glue's weak, it's because the glue is brittle. If the mini is just sitting on a shelf, then that's probably fine, but if you foresee a lot of handling or the possibility that the figure might ever be dropped... you might want to use something with a little give to it, so rather than an arm flying off at the slightest sneeze, the joint flexes slightly and there's no problem.

In terms of strength, I'd probably rate glues somewhat like this:

"Glue Stick" > Wood/Elmer's/PVA > Rubber Cement > Super Glue > 2-part epoxy

Obviously there's some you wouldn't want to use on a mini for sheer practicality.

Glue sticks pwn you.

I dont know what superglue you use, but i've never seen it melt plastic, thats poly cement.

englishboy86
    you could always try pining it then glue it, works for me..and has a better hold

If you use super glue, you may need to hold it togather for alittle while.
    There one moment, and there the next.

Yeah, everyone pins stuff.. my dumb ass don't.. but whenever people pin, then glue.. it's less likely to break from a fall

General_Xue
    I pinned my grey knight terminators, and they don't break even when dropping on a concrete floor! The halberds bend though... lol. Some things simply have to be pinned, such as daemonettes. Who designed them?

use polystyrene(sp?) cement glue for sticking plastics minatures together

for the rest use super glue or epoxy resin, with super glue depending on the minature you might want to use copper rod to pin the bits together.
    Beware The Shadows.

First, before you do ANYTHING to the models including clipping the plastics from the sprue find a big bucket or washbasin (i prefer not doing this in anything that has a drain) and rinse all the plastic and metal parts in warm soapy water. Rinse all the soap off and lay them out on a towel to dry.

The minis are often covered in an invisible oily residue left over from their manufacturing. The residue makes glue and paint not want to stick very well.

As for getting the parts to stick, get a small file or use your hobby knife or sandpaper to roughen the areas that you will glue together. Remove all the dust that this creates before you glue, obviously. A rough surface means that the glue will have more surface area on which to bond.

Alternatively, I've got some Nobz at home that are held together with nothing but green stuff and a tiny bit of super glue.
    Ultramarines, Orks, Chaos, Tyranids, IG, Daemons

Gonzo
    My place sells this thing called "ZIp Kicker" Spray it on the model, the second the piece with the glue on it touches the model, it is solid. Period.

15. Space Marine Senior Member Company of Heroes Senior Member  #15
    Black Scottish Cyclops Brother Wolf's Avatar
    Zap A Gap
    http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=FTEPT02

-and here it is with zip kicker too
    http://www.woodcarvers.com/zip.htm

Funny thing is, this amazing hobby glue is being used in a host of wierd places. Taxidermy?

FYI- If you are assembling all metal model, I recommend JB Weld. JB Weld will keep an all metal model together like nobody's business.
    W00T! Yarrgh-book 2010 (shameless)

TT on C-A-D,
    01Dec to 15Dec '10 (most current story arc)
    06Feb, 26Mar to 29Mar '08. Bowling ball, FTW!
    30Oct to 11Nov '06
    Warning: Forum, LOL.

I probably will be assembling an all metal model once I get my Techmarine soon, and once it's all put together, I'll finally have an army!

But anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to put it to good use...

First, before you do ANYTHING to the models including clipping the plastics from the sprue find a big bucket or washbasin (i prefer not doing this in anything that has a drain) and rinse all the plastic and metal parts in warm soapy water. Rinse all the soap off and lay them out on a towel to dry.
    BIG waste of time imo, i never wash anything and stuff sticks fine for me.

Same
    Well, i'll stick to my easy way of highlighting, just gloss.
    -Famousish

Ditto

storm bulls
    ditto ditto.

the space marin devitators are a pig to stick together, the lascannon one will not join up as it is ment to for love nor money, it takes a lot of messesy Araldite (epoxey resin) and a bit of green stuff to cover the gaps.

21. Tabletop Senior Member  #21
    Same here but I have heard people complaining about it a lot on the forum. I live in the UK so perhaps it's just a problem in the US.

This page is best viewed with Netscape Navigator

Hauptmann
    Be careful with Superglue...I got my hand stuck to one of my Flayed Ones for a few minutes while I struggled to get it off after I bolted and ran to the sink .

Account Suspended
    Ive ahd BAD accidents with superglue- ive tore up my desk with it, coverd my fingers with it, glued a model to a box with it- all sorts of problems. But I just got some new suerglue from wal-mart with a lock cap, and its not near as messy or fuked up anymore.

Warning to everyone- dont trie to wash off superglue in water. It just dries faster. use a napkin or a paper towel.

T3H_SICKNESS
    The way you might want to try is use some green stuff with some super glue on the joint, did this with some metal models of mine and it's a very good bond.

Thread Information