Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The New WH40k Codex release schedule.

Brazen Attention Who-- MooFreaky's Avatar

The New WH40k Codex release schedule.

This thread aims to answer the threads which keep asking "When is army x" getting a new codex. Or "what codex is coming next?"

I will update it as news comes out, and if people have relevany links or info PM me and I'll add it in.

Next Codex
    It is confirmed. The next codex to be released is the Black Templars.

Who are the Black Templars? They are a Space Marine chapter, who operate in a different manner to the normal marines. They tend to favour close combat as opposed to ranged firepower.
    They have unique rules, allowing variation among the Space Marine users.

New Black Templar Models
    Thank Sved for this link (it's from his thread)

Release Date
    GW currently release a new codex every 6 months. There has been no information to assume this will change.
    As Codex : Tyranids was just released in May (or June...). It is expected that Codex : Black Templar will arrive during November or December.
    If anyone has a more accurate (and reliable) release date let me know.

Who will be after the Black Templars?
    We can only speculate at the moment. GW do not release information until about 6 months prior to release. Therefore this cannot be answer with 100% certainty.
    However, there are many reasonable arguments for several armies.

Eldar and Orks have the two oldest Codecii around. They are both in need of a Codex. Players from both armies will tell you that THEY need the update more urgently. However, the fact is they both need it as much as eachother.

Tau have also got reason to be hopeful. There was a concept art piece leaked from GW depicting a brand new Tau unit.
    GW flexed their considerable legal muscle and these images have been removed from circulation.
    However, Tau do have one of the most reasent Codex around, so all is not certain.

There is also a chance everyone will be suprised and it won't be any of these.

When will 'army x' be released?
    I don't know. No-one but GW has any idea of this. However, one thing is for certain. GW are releasing Codecii in this order
    Imperial, Xeno, Imperial, Xeno, Imperial, Xeno etc etc.

Imperial Armies consist of all the variant Space Marine chapters (eg Space Wolves, Blood Angels).
    This may give you some indication of how long you will be waiting (remembering 1 every 6 months).

Should I by the Codex for 'army x'?
    Unless you collect Black Templar, I would say yes. This is based on the fact it will be around a year until the codex after them.
    Eldar players and Ork player often say "Should I wait?"
    You could be waiting a whole year. It could be two. Even three (if Tau get a codex). It could even be longer.
    So it is likely to not be wasted money, and I suggest that you should purchase it (I would...)

I hope this answers your questions, and stops people posting the same questions over and over.
    Anything you feel needs adding please let me know.
    Last edited by MooFreaky; 1st Aug 05 at 8:56 AM.

I would hope that if the Tau get a new codex that it will be released as an exception to that 6 month schedule since not much revision/new models are needed.
    Ultramarines, Orks, Chaos, Tyranids, IG, Daemons

Wc3Addict
    I hope this get stickied, that way people can just check into it when they here rumors about the next codex.

Servitor
    Isn't the next Alein Hunters?

Xeno Hunters is coming. Probably 2 after Templar

Dvalin
    I've posted this on other forums, but I don't believe I've posted it here; reposting given its relevance.

The other day, I went to my local store and wrote down the ages of all of the codexes to get a sense of how old everything was. In order of age:

1998 -- Blood Angels
    1999 -- Orks, Eldar
    2000 -- Craftworld Eldar, Space Wolves
    2001 -- Tau
    2002 -- Chaos Space Marines, Daemonhunters, Necrons, Dark Angels
    2003 -- Imperial Guard
    2004 -- Space Marines, Witch Hunters
    2005 -- Tyranids

Also -- it's worth noting that the Tyranids had been previously released in 2001 before their revision. I've been told the Space Marines were a release from 98 or 97, before that.

Basically, the Tau -are- younger than Eldar and Orks, yes -- but it's not like they were released in '04 or '03. Seeing the Tyranids revision dates, this is no different from their getting a revision. Seeing, also, that there are rumors of work being done in preparation for Eldar and Orks and that the Tau are just a quick release to keep things moving, I'd contend that this delay isn't the end of the world.
    Further, some recent rumors tend to strengthen Tau contention for a new codex. Specifically; Graham McNeill, who was a designer on the first codex, was present at Games Day Chicago. He's been quoted as saying that it's on the Eastern Fringe, which one would consider indicative of Tau. Second, the IA3: Taros Campaign book evidently includes some interesting and unexplained upgrades, which may have happened before; evidently the IA1 book explained vehicle upgrades that weren't detailed at all by the FW book itself, but were made clear by a subsequent Codex: Imperial Guard release. If this information is accurate (and whether it is accurate is currently quite uncertain), it'd appear that the IA3 book's contents are indicative of a new Tau codex. Third; Roberto Cirillo, the artist whose Vespid picture was leaked three or so weeks ago, was in attendence at GDChicago and several people evidently chatted with him for a bit concerning his Tyranid concept art and the art leak. From the summary, it appears he was embarassed by the art, which came from early in the development cycle. This would indicate that the Tau have been underway for a while.

Anywho. That's what I've got; grand collection of new Tau rumors.

from what I heard...

Tau are next, but it's small revamp...

and BA are the next big project.
    500 Days...

keep calm and carry on eventhorizon's Avatar
    BA?! British Airways are getting a codex??
    it's been a while!

ChunkyMrEvil
    Maybe "Something to do with the Eastern fringe" is too obviously Tau-ish. Maybe this is a whole new race? Maybe Kroot are splitting off from the Tau, with these new Vespids in tow?

I dunno, and I don't know why I care. I don't even do Warhammer anymore.

BA?! British Airways are getting a codex??
    YES!!! When do the flight crew models come out? Are their weapons AP - so they won't punch through the airframe?

I must say that I really and truly feel for all the Ork players out there. Their Codex is so weak and full of holes and it looks like they will be one of the last races to see a revision meaning they will have to deal with all these new Uber-Races when their codex doesnt even have a fucking army summary.
    You never truly know someone...

Until you fight them.

^^^^^
    It's true. It does suck. Especailly playing the new marines and 'nids. It was a struggle before. Now it's bordering on ludercrous.
    Especially if the Nid or Maries player is experienced. They don't make petty mistakes (too often, at least) to take advantage of.

Eastern Fringe would be nids but they're out already.

Tau are to the "South East". Hmm, semantics semantics.

There's a Ork Empire in the eastern areas...so it could be that.
    "In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make." ~Paris Hilton

There are Eldar out east too... I think.

Isn't it supposed to go about two fantasy army books and 2 40k codices a year?
    I have heard next fantasy one is Dwarves. (hooray!)
    Bruffalo on IRC.

Piccolo
    Happy about the Dwarf rumor is me... my stunties could use some new toys, and a reason for me to add to them.

The comment about Eastern side of the galaxy is pretty much a "no comment" answer since alot of armies could be list as in the east.

I have a friend who plays eldar and would like both eldar and orks to be right after Templars, but I doubt GW would get off their ass and support some of their long time players who really need some new codex shit.

The Power of Nothingness NeoHunter's Avatar
    Hmm...no mention of the Tau or the Vespids. Unless I missed it somewhere in this thread.

Tau was mentioned. I didn't mention Vespids by name, but did talk about the concept art that was relesed...

Dwarves are already out. They were the third army book to come out for 6th edition warhammer, but that's off topic.

Orks definitely need the revamp though. Just the codex and maybe some new metals for some of the units available, so that knife-shy players don't have to convert so much. The plastics don't need to be fiddled as they are still the best in terms of bitz and whatnot.
    There are no decent galactic dating services. To succeed at romance, you have to talk to people.

Servitor
    I thought the next wash alein hunters....

Does anyone think that they'll ever make the Adeptus Mechanicus codex?

TheSanityAssass
    No...see thats the thing...as much as you ask here, its all 100% speculation untill you see GW actually put something up...BT you can feel confident about, as they actually have models out for them...but as for the other stuff....no one here is going to know unless htey work for GW, at which point they would probably have their lips literally sown shut about it....

I can't tell you what's next, but I can tell you this - you're wasting your time.

Seriously, just wait and see. All of this speculation is exceedingly useless. The reason this is so useless is mainly because GW does not even know what the next one will be. The design studio is always working on multiple projects, and it's a heads up which one is going to make the best proposal and get the green light for production.

It has nothing to do with who 'needs it more,' because no one actually NEEDS a new codex. All of the codecii are playable and balanced pretty damn well against each other. The re-release of the Tyranid codex should have been blatant counter-evidence against this argument.

It has nothing to do with what will make the most money. GW's main cash cow, the Space Marines, are already out.

Anything featured in Imperial Armor has no bearing on anything. the Taros Campaign Book does not mean you should place bets on Tau.

The Vespid concept art that surfaced is no indication. If anything, the fact that the concept art appeared means that the Tau released is much farther away than previously thought, as it implies that the new codex will need alot more work than the 'simple update' rumor that keeps popping up out of nowhere.

23. Modding Senior Member Dawn of War Senior Member  #23
    I collect many armies, specifically Space Marines (Raven Guard), Tau, Eldar (Ulthwé Strike Force), Nurgle Lot and the Damned (uses Chaos too), and my best army is my orks (Bad Moons).

Now that I believe puts me in the position to know about codexes needing revamps

Tau:
    Actually a very good codex, good fluff and stories. The models are good. The problems are with drones since the 4th Ed rules, are now useless. That needs working, and maybe some kind of un-standard list varieties (like SM chapters, ork klans and eldar craftworlds).

SM:
    Brilliant new codex, good models, loads of very good fluff. Love it. The only complaint is that the librarian rules for selecting powers needs clarifying.

Chaos:
    Very good codex, i loved it. Brilliant fluff. Loads of army options, very few holes in the rules. Good models, good conversion oppertunities.

Eldar:
    Currently ok models (Seer council looks cool) but i think war walkers and wraithlords need a look at. (I hate the egg on legs wlord model, looks like he wants a hug all the time). The codex has some good fluff, but not enough. Also we need more options for units. At the moment its a few special weapons on guardians, and exarch powers. There are many redundant units which see no use too, they need to be looked at.

Ork:
    I love my orkses. Brilliant models out there, but not enough. The walkers rock, but trukks and bikes suck so much. Very good conversion oppertunities, but we still need the weopon options. Maybe a separate sprue with rokkits, more armour, camo nets etc so normal boyz can be made into 'ard / kommando / tankbusta / scar etc. ATM its too much money to buy rokkit boyz cos of the big shoota you have to get too (and we all know big shootas are simply two plastic shootas stuck together).
    Codex is naff on the fluff. Naff on the layout. The units are cool, and most units are seen on the battle due to the klans and the diverse styles people go for. But the amount of rules that need clarifying is alot.

So IMO this shoul be the order (of rewoked codexes, not new armies)

Ork
    Eldar
    Dark Eldar
    Tau

I said in another thread what, and why, I think the codex release is.

BT (we know this)

Orks (BT mortal enemy, and needs new dex bad)

DA (new librarian model makes me think this)

Eldar (kinda the offset of the DA, and they need a new dex too)

AH or BA (we know both are comming, but its a matter of when, I'm leaning more
    toward BA, since they will prolly bring out all the first founding chapters before AH is released)

and after that i dunno. There is alot of speculation on the eldar getting folded into 1 codex, and some speculation on tau (which I think is stupid, a new dex isnt needed, a faq is). But overall I think that is what we can look foward to for the next couple of years.

Icarus
    Thanks to MooFreaky for putting this up, someone should sticky this. As I've suggested before, we need something to answer all the "when is codex X coming out?" questions, seems like a new thread on this appears everyday.

WizWom
    Scuttlebutt around the Chicago GW Battle Bunker/Distribution Staff is Black Templars in September, although I suspect that might be a bit premature; then another Fantasy book, then 40K in December. Likely Eldar, as they are the oldest Xenos codex.

Gonzo
    I pray that when orks get there turn, they don't screw them up anymore than they already are. Back in second edition and what not they were a joke. As of now its remotely serious. And the models aren't half bad either.

BT, Tau, another Imperial, then another Xenos. Thats all ya gotta care about. GW is not doin anymore mini-dexes, so each codex will be a full out codex. Everyone has to remember that the other GW games fit into the schedule too. One major release every quarter. So BT in winter, Tau in spring, The LOTR box is getting released between those as well. Dwarves are getting redone in spring too most likely, and then the summer of next year will most likely be the 7th edition of Warhammer. This is not set atm, but its been looking good that the 7th ed will come out around summerish next year.
    Current Projects - Alpha Legion
    Chaos Marines Squad finished, Rhino done, Lord Painted, and Defiler in progress.

It may be likely that Tau are after BT but there is still no solid evidence to support it. Until there is, it is just speculation

just give in man, they are. after them its still unclear but they are.

You say this, but never give any evidence to back it.
    Prove it and I will believe you. But the number of people saying "<insert army here> is definately next! But I can't reveal my sources..."
    I think they probably are, but until there is any evidence to prove it I'm not going to perpetuate the rumour

Voyager_I
    Beyond the Black Templars, I'm a going to stay Agnostic with MooFreaky...

...that said, I'm definitely buying "Codex: Black Templars" when it comes out.

eleveninches
    They should release a codex for all other imperial forces that arn't included in the ones that are out at the moment.

One codex that encompasses all of:
    Adeptus Mechanicus
    Adeptus Arbites
    Adeptus Custodes
    Navigators
    adeptus Astra telepathica
    Administratum
    Adeptus Astronomica
    Imperial Fleet
    Hive Gangers

Servitor
    hive gangers& adeptus arabites are necromunda, right?

ChunkyMrEvil
    Hive Gangers - Armageddon Codex
    Adeptus Arbites - Witch Hunter's Codex

And yes, they're Necromundan

Crushyerbones
    I saw a codex on them for 40K somewhere (Adeptus Arbites)... Maybe WD but I dont remember where... I do have a pdf... :S but I have absolutly no idea where it's from or where I got it :S They have penal legions, persuit squads on bikes or mounted and stuff like that... not much heavy weaponry tough

37. Tabletop Senior Member  #37
    The codex you might be thinking of was from early 3rd edition and was printed in the Citadel Journal.

Adeptus Mechanicus - good suggestion

Adeptus Arbites - Unit in Codex Witchhunters
    Hive Gangers - can be included as an Imperial Guard unit.

Adeptus Custodes - Only one army of them in the whole Imperium and, as the Emperor's bodyguard, they don't see much action.

Not an army:
    Navigators
    Administratum
    Adeptus Astronomica
    adeptus Astra telepathica
    Imperial Fleet - (BFG ships would not be appropriate in Warhammer 40,000. They transport armies like the Imperial Guard)

This page is best viewed with Netscape Navigator

their is the old Codex Imperialis that came with the second edition starter box, but thats old rules by now

39. Tabletop Senior Member  #39
    Yeah, That's very old. However, I think you mean the Imperial Agents list from the same version of the game. Most of the stuff from that is now in other codexes. I think the main omission is the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Elferx
    I WANT MY NEW ELDAR CODEX ^^
    lOl.. imma eldar fanatic
    Btw Eldar seems very very unbalanced in the present codex

Coming Codexies

From a GW staffer, yes have been know to be not the most relable in the past but, have said that the list of Codex releases are as follows, Black Templars (known), Tau(Stupid commie bastards) then Blood Angels. He also confirmed that not only are the Orks and Eldar are getting new Codexs they are getting, wait for it, ALL NEW MODEL LINE. So they are NOT going to be out for a sum time.
    If this has been said then I am sorry for the repeat. So should I put my money on the Red Shirt or just buy 500 points of Imps?
    The Intuitive Mind is a sacred gift, the Rational mind, a loyal servant. Our society has honored the servant and forgotten the gift.- Albert Einstein
    Those who will not reason are bigots; those who cannot are fools; and those who dare not are slaves. -- Lord Byron

In interest of keeping things civil, dont start threads about this kind of suff anymore. There are plenty of threads, some even current that handle this kind of thing. And please, to everyone, dont bash Red Shirts.

yea youre right cfoley, my bad had the wrong book in mind

Again. Supply solid evidence and we'll believe you

keep calm and carry on eventhorizon's Avatar
    are they even allowed to reveal that kind of thing?
    link to sources, not just 'some guy said'

on a different note, does anyone here think that orks actually need a new model line?
    i think the current boyz box provides more than enough uniqueness to each model, but maybe some of the metal blisters could do with updating. one thing i would like is plastic nobz (please, no jokes XD). what do you guys think?

The battlewagon back, and New vechicles.

47. Tabletop Senior Member  #47
    I, too am getting sick of threads like these popping up every time someone hears a new rumour. What's wrong with posting in this one?

Blood Angles? o ffs, not more space marines.

Threads merged with the power of LOVE!

Blood Angles? o ffs, not more space marines.
    This is one of the greatest posts ever! EVER!
    It sums up 95% of the gaming community's opinion. Basically everyone except the Blood Angel players.

Threads merged with the power of LOVE!
    I love you Peer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information